Locks Dray Build

Lock

100 MW
ultraWheel.jpg

Hey, I *wanted* to use an inline skate blade! :lol:
...but they're not designed with slush and snow in mind... so this is a compromise back wheel... `cause Xootr claims this:
wheelSpeedChart.gif

Also, although Xootr doesn't mention this, I expect fewer flat tires :)

Front wheel for now is a cast 16" DD Crystalyte hub, nominal 600W. Had thoughts to change this up to geared, but now leaning towards chucking a front hub all together in favour of an outrunner with chain and sprockets...

*Finally* assembling this thing in August, so thought I'd start posting some pics...
Cheers
LoCk

They're great for minimum rolling resistance but the thing that happned to my xootr wheel(s) is if you hit a piece of gravel it will often take out a chunk of rubber. It doesn't go flat though...

Good idea for repair, 'never thought of that but should work? My wheels still worked fine just had some chunks out of 'em here and there. Spare is good though!

Hub motors are so simple - I can't imagine ever going back to more complicated drive systems. I'm up to around 2K miles on my Sidewalker - all I do to it is check spokes, air the 20" tires and adjust the brakes every once in a while.

Lock, you said you have a hub motor on a currie scooter. Can you give us some information on it or a link to a thread about it. I can't seem to find one.

Ykick said:
Good idea for repair, 'never thought of that but should work? My wheels still worked fine just had some chunks out of 'em here and there. Spare is good though!

Hub motors are so simple - I can't imagine ever going back to more complicated drive systems. I'm up to around 2K miles on my Sidewalker - all I do to it is check spokes, air the 20" tires and adjust the brakes every once in a while.

You can't ever imagine going back until you get to a bike and then you want "INSANE performance". :)

maydaverave said:
Lock, you said you have a hub motor on a currie scooter. Can you give us some information on it or a link to a thread about it. I can't seem to find one.
Hi maydaverave... A hub now, but not on a Currie... I only had the usual Currie motors on the Currie scoots, the last one modified with an external controller at 36V. I picked up a 600W 16" cast Chrystalyte hub a while back and am putting this in a new scoot design with the hub in front. Not convinced the hub is best versus a RC and chain and sprockets, but gotta try.
Lock

If it is what I think it is... It goes in between the cells and warms them up, I believe.

Intended for car starter batts... Rated 35W at 120V AC but also good for 14W plugged directly into a 48V DC pack...
Just to take the chill offa LiFePO4 cells in the winter times...
:)
Llock

That would be pretty useful for warming up the cells in winter. Where'd you get them from? Thanks!

only1jake said:
That would be pretty useful for warming up the cells in winter. Where'd you get them from? Thanks!

Here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15183&start=0#p225497

...if I understand things correctly, it's really about having good insulation. Thinsulate or aerogel... Partly depends too on how hard yer exercising the cells as with high C rates they'll make a little heat of their own. Thought I might have a thermostat to automate heating but for now will just go with a switch.

tks
loCk

BTW, I don't know of any other ES'ers using active heating for their cells but one concern would be even heating so the cells are not "out of balance" thermally. I have sixteen of the Headway 10A cells arranged as one long physical "string" side by side, and two of the Farnam pads happen to fit exactly under the length of the pack, plus they really are throwing off a tiny amount of heat anyway. So I hope this heating won't affect the pack/any individual cells over the long term. The cells are labelled so I'll be able to test each of them from time to time...

The Farnam pads are really nothing fancy (the price might be a clue.) Three layers of some sort of thin material and around the middle layer of this sandwich are wound the thin heater wires... nickel-chrome I guess. No different than the way toaster elements are arranged... Having seen these things now, I'll guess it wouldn't be hard to fab something DIY from an old toaster...

Lock

Yeah. That's what I was thinking too. What if some of the cells get more heat... does this affect discharge rate etc etc.
I'll wait and see how yours turns out. Any feedback on what happens would be great!

Jake

EDIT: My 100th post lol

Tony at Voltfreaks is a sweetheart! Back in May I ordered ONE single cell LiFePO4 charger:
https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/...talog/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=28
2ampcharger.jpg

...and `cause Tony was out of stock I said no problem I can wait `til August and Tony said he would include a second charger free for the "inconvenience"...

So today they arrive and there are THREE chargers. Wish he had a larger product selection as I'd buy something else from him just to say THANKS TONY!

LoCk

only1jake said:
Yeah. That's what I was thinking too. What if some of the cells get more heat... does this affect discharge rate etc etc.
I'll wait and see how yours turns out. Any feedback on what happens would be great!
Jake
EDIT: My 100th post lol

Congrats on 100th :)

Dunno watt you NZ guyz are worried about low temps for `less you are in Queenstown or something :lol:

Hope I see NZ before I die but I would head straight to the Bay of Islands as I understand the sailing is pretty fabulous there
loCk

Not that it would be that cold here... I would just like to get the most out of the batteries!
Not sure about the islands as I haven't been there either.
Thats pretty awesome... You ordered 1 and you got three :D
Jake

I note a couple of volt drop at the end of my commute with my Ping 48v 20ah on cold mornings that i don't see when it warms up....very cool...i mean very warm!

Maybe for I should git one...

Moo

Back