Dealing with 8 guage wire on 30c turnigy packs

dogman dan

1 PW
When my lipo blocks arrived, I got caught a bit unprepared since I hadn't noticed that in 30c the turnigy comes with an 8 guage wire and huge bullet connector.

The controller I plan to use is 45 amp, so I really don't need to use mondo huge wire for this bike. 12 guage should be ok for this, I think.

Putting a 45 amp anderson on it as I wanted became pretty difficult, in fact dang difficult. I couldn't charge em up very easy till I did something, at least getting one adapter made for hooking up the series connected packs to the controller on a bike, and for hooking to a charger with andersons on it.

At the Lowes electrical section, I found just the thing since I am a real klutz with a soldering iron. 18-10 guage crimp connectors. These allow me to crimp up a connection for a 12 guage wire to an anderson, and a second wire to go to my cheapo low voltage alarms.View attachment Crimp sleeves.jpg

Cut off the bullet connector, and strip about 3/8 inch of insulation off the three wires, and crimp with a cheap crimper. The kind with a bump that sort of folds the crimp into a V shape, and then using the other part of the jaw, fold the V closed for a super tight crimp. Easy as pie.View attachment 2View attachment Finished crimp.jpg

Finish of with shrink tube of course, but other methods could be used. Now I have an easy to replace when needed 45 amp anderson on 12 guage wire, and the extra wire to connect to a plug that will go to my lv alarms to be mounted on the handlebars.

Attachments

• shrink tube cover.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,128
Aren't we supposed to nip through both black/red wires at the same time? LOL...

Thanks for the good tip(s)

Done it a few times with 110v AC wires. Hard on the pliers. :lol:

dogman said:
Done it a few times with 110v AC wires. Hard on the pliers. :lol:

Do it on 240V and you have yourself a pair of wire strippers.

Yeah, I have made a few pairs of wire strippers. Now I never believe it when somebody says a circuit is off. Did it with 240 once with a hammer drill, that was fun. Had to leave the drill bit stuck in the concrete since it welded itself to the steel conduit I drilled through. The poor Mcdonalds couldn't serve fries for a week.

Back