Serious strangeness from 36v EVC Headway pack.

eva-michael said:
As right now we have large stock, we are very confident that we can provide cells very fast.

I have a couple of things to say to what you just wrote, but I'll address just one of them here. You say that you can provide cells very fast. Not for Mike Ross! 47 days and still no cells. That is NOT fast! And you know what I say is true, you and I have emailed each other many many times about his order.

No, very fast is not what I would say.

However, I will continue this discussion in your other thread, where it would be more appropriate.

TJG

The Journey Guy said:
eva-michael said:
No, very fast is not what I would say.

However, I will continue this discussion in your other thread, where it would be more appropriate.

TJG
That's what we will avoid in fucture. To trusted by customers, we are willing to return 15% of the payment if we can not provide goods in one month as a fine of long delay.
Of course, with more stock and we will said we are confidence of doing good business.
Also that's why we dare tell the public that we will return 15% and send goods to you if we can not achieve delivery in one month.
Of course, 1 month has been very late. For normal order, we only consume few days to get it done. Cells even ship immediately.

eva-michael said:
Cells even ship immediately.

StudEbiker, I'm really sorry to step on this thread of yours, but I cannot keep silent about this.

'Michael' or whoever you are, what you said is simply NOT true.

If I am wrong, then right now, right here, provide the tracking number to Mike Ross's order that was supposed to be shipped over a week ago, so that he can finally get the 3 cells he ordered over 45 days ago.

What is the tracking number to the cells that "ship immediately."??

Answer that question now, or get out of this thread.

TJG

Just don't get them from this 'Michael', because I'm here to tell ya that this is not the same 'Michael' that I've been dealing with.

The one I've dealt with 'spoke' very good English, this one does not. And certainly they did not have a tracking number, hence their absence.

I still say stay away from them, at least until Mike's issue has been settled. We'll see about %15 refunds and such.

TJG

Thought I better get my 2 cents worth in here. Sorry for messing up your thread, Stud.

I ordered 3 Headway flat tab replacement cells on June 11th from EV Assemble. Long story short - they still have not arrived, and the tracking number I was given my Michael last week is not good in the Fed Ex system.

I did receive 3 cells on July 8th, but they were the screw type cells, not the flat tab cells which I had ordered. TJG is going to re-sell the screw type cells for me. After some wrangling around, and with TJG's help, we reached an agreement with Michael at EV Assemble, that he would send me the correct cells and not charge shipping. So, I sent EV Assemble another $51 around July 14th. Michael gave me tracking number 872499854054 for these 3 cells last week, but you can check it out for yourself - it isn't in the FedEx system yet.

For what it's worth, shipping takes about 3 days once the cells are actually shipped.

This is my experience so far. Judge for yourself. I have opened a PayPal claim over this mess. It's the first time I ever had to do that.

Mike

The three cells from Michael at EV Assemble did arrive on July 29th. Michael did provide a valid tracking number for the shipment in the end.

Now I have to figure out how to get those bad boys back into my pack. Then put the BMS back (maybe) :) .

Getting back to the purpose of this thread, I have now gotten 6-8 cycles on my reduced capacity pack. After 5-6 ah are used per my Cycle Analyst, then the pack is charged through the balance wires with individual cell chargers. The cells all charge up to about 3.65V but will quickly settle down to more like 3.4 or even 3.3V. After about 6ah discharge, they will all be at 3.3V. Something has definitely changed for the better because the 10s pack seems to have a lot more power than the 12s pack had originally. My current thinking is that there were one or two weak cells that did not get fully charged for whatever reason - even with a 5 amp Ping charger on the pack for many hours, i.e. more than 12 hours.

Mike

the shunt current on the ping signalab v2.5 is about 70mA. .070A X 12h = .84Ah so that is why it takes so long to get them to balance.

initialize the pack with multiple charge then (short) discharge cycles.

the first 4 cells carry the BMS circuit current so they will drain down while the others remain charged. this is why people always ruin their new packs. imho.

the shunt current on the ping signalab v2.5 is about 70mA. .070A X 12h = .84Ah so that is why it takes so long to get them to balance.

initialize the pack with multiple charge then (short) discharge cycles.

the first 4 cells carry the BMS circuit current so they will drain down while the others remain charged. this is why people always ruin their new packs. imho.

I think this should be required labeling on all new packs! Thanks for that info dnmun!

Headway packs seem to be especially sensitive/difficult when they are new. I discharged mine to 70% DOD when it was first new - at the time thinking this was being easy on it. 30% is a more realistic figure. Also, the one cell I totally ruined IMHO was ruined by over-charging. So, you can't just leave the charger on there forever, either.

StudEbiker - have you had any luck obtaining replacement cells, or getting your pack into some sort of usable state? This is your thread after all....

Mike

I've got 3 and only need to replace two. Plus I have another "weak" one which may be OK, not sure. Was going to keep one for an extra, or if I ruin another one putting my pack back together.....but, if one more would help you get back on the road, then PM me. You might also double check with The Journey Guy - he really helped me a lot. I'm not totally against EV Assemble, and they do have the correct cells. It's possible my experience with them was just one of those things that happens. We've got to get you back on the road!

Mike

Thanks for the offer Mike. I've definitely been missing the E-bike grin and summer is winding down here. :cry: Let's give Dave a little more time, and give you some more time to see if that weak cell is going to settle down. Maybe a week or two and then we'll see what's up. Yeah, it's drag. I have two packs and they are both down right now. Trying to troubleshoot the duct tape pack from Hightekbikes right now. Probably a bad BMS. I have another BMS, but I was hoping to put it on the Headway pack. I've got a couple of the tube batteries from Amped coming in on Monday, but they are for other people. Really looking forward to playing with them though!

Just wanted to update this thread. Thanks to Mike, I have now replaced the bad cell in this pack and have put a Ping V3 BMS in. Everything is going well, but one of the LEDs is refusing to come on. The first 9 came on rather quickly, but this last one is really being stubborn. I will probably open the pack up sometime this weekend and check the voltages of the cells. I still have that Nokia charger, so I will try and bring the low cell up a little, or is better to discharge the high cell(s) a little? Anyway, I am really happy to have the bike back on the road, but I am wary of damaging the cell that is not lighting up. I have kept the discharges very shallow (2-3ah between charges) except today when I drew 4ah off the pack. The pack seems very strong, but I will feel better about it when that 12th light comes on.

Back