Another New Puma Test - 500W 320RPM - 13 min Video

Jozzer said:
Sounded quite normal to me Knoxie, those americans must have funny ears or something :lol:

I think you're onto something there. I'll need a Brit-aware ipod-like universal translator. :D

dermot said:
knoxie said:
Hi

Shiver me timbers, isnt it speak like a pirate day yet? .... me harties!

Knoxie

Not quite yet, you scurvy knave:

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

September 19th.

We be a countin' down the days.... Arrrrrrrr......

8)

xyster said:
I think you're onto something there. I'll need a Brit-aware ipod-like universal translator. :D

Let me help you out a bit, try:

http://spelling.wordpress.com/2007/09/05/english-pronunciation/

recumbent said:
:oops: Oops, just saw in the picture the six holes for disc mounting, my bad :roll: forgot to look before I spoke. Thanks for pointing that out.

My LBS couldn't find a disk to fit, I sat with them and tried 30+ different disks. There is also the issue of sufficent clearance for the caliper between the disk and hub. I ended up picking a disk that had 6 'spokes' to match the hole spacing and will have them drilled to match. The disk will then need to be spaced 4mm to allow the caliper to fit behind. I had a choice of 6 calipers and picked the one that would take up the smallest space behind the disk.

Knoxie,

Have you ever tried to fit a disk to a Puma?

Cheers,

Ian

I have, and it just fitted right on! It was the stock disk for the KMX (made by winzip), and is the same size as the stock disk off an old mountian bike I have too. My guess is it is a standard fitting, and your LBS is missing the most used disk!

I had to cut drill and grind to make my disk brake work on a clyte, overcome the challenge and disk brakes are worth it imo..

I think it may be different standards according to location/country.. as my thread-on adapter will bolt to a crystalyte provided disk, but not to my Norco Chaos disk, both are 6 hole, but different diameter by only a few mm

Jozzer said:
I have, and it just fitted right on! It was the stock disk for the KMX (made by winzip), and is the same size as the stock disk off an old mountian bike I have too. My guess is it is a standard fitting, and your LBS is missing the most used disk!

Hi Jozzer,

The holes on my BMC stamped Puma are spaced at a diameter much larger than a standard bicycle hub, most standard hub have a hole diameter of approx 5cm, from memory the holes on my Puma are spaced at approx 10 to 12 cm diameter?

I looked on Winzip's website, http://www.winzip-diskbrake.com/pro.php?cid=2&sid=8 and although the one I have chosen is very similar to the ZR Series, I will be drilling half way up the 'spokes'.......

Cheers,

Ian

Are you guys implying that the "bolt circle" for the disc brake on the Puma motor is not the standard 44mm?
On my Bionx that is what they are, or seem to be. BTW that is about 1-3/4" for the old syle measure.

No, all the motors I have seen so far are at 45'ish mm (had to measure in the dark). 12cm diameter holes must be for an enormous disk, are you sure you remember right?

mine seemed totally standard?
i took the old disk from my 26" wheel and just screwed it straight onto the puma?
Ian, do you have any pics of the problem?
Knoxie, any luck with the last test mate? i'm spitting feathers waiting for the 72v tests :)
ordered some more andersons today in preparation for re-wire from powerwerx so they should be here within the next two weeks, im hoping we are still happy with the new motors then i can get on and finish the bike - let us know how your getting mate, weather looks like it's turning bad again :(

cheers

D

yes indeed Knoixie, strap some more batteries on that thing and get a report in before it rains and you start spinning all over the place! Also, I imagine that Mark won't give the go ahead to make more controller till this one is tested? I'm fed up with repairing controllers already! (fets are ok, but driver chips are a nightmare! :evil: )

hehehe, paul is doing all the work and me and jozzer are bitching lol
sorry knoxie, we're just excited as at the prospect of blasting those pumas at 72v without worrying about blowing stuff is almost too much to take :lol:
Jozzer i think these new pumas that are like knoxies bmx are gonna be the ones we're waiting for - fingers crossed they will fly 8)

cheers

D

Hi

You havent done anything since, It was a great ride at 37V I will try it at 72V once I get the go ahead from Mark, I will only do it with the Puma controller though and the 320 RPM motor, it would be a good Idea to chop the lead down some first but I may leave it and just try it anyway as it will only be a short test. The weather is going a little cooler but its still dry, I have all day to try it inbetween a few local jobs so it will be ok.

I will let you know/see how it runs at 72V, wouldnt it be fun to race that little velomobile at 72V! ha ha hmm dont think I will be doing that! ha ha.

Cheers

Knoxie

cheers knoxie,

sounds great - the 320rpm is the monkey im gunning for, make sure you wear your lid too!!
i still dont think you'll catch that velo, unless you run the kmx at 72 with the 320rpm puma :twisted: now wouldn't that be quick? hehe add the egg and he's your bitch :twisted:

cheers mate

D

deecanio said:
mine seemed totally standard?
i took the old disk from my 26" wheel and just screwed it straight onto the puma?
Ian, do you have any pics of the problem?

I don't have my hub to hand, it's with the engineering shop at present but looking at the pic below I may have over estimated the diameter of the holes, 7cm'ish is probably more like it but deffinately bigger than standard 45mm'ish? The disk is 160mm job and is no bigger than the hub.

D, does yours look like this? Mines a front hub.

Any ideas anyone ?

Cheers,

Ian

Attachments

• 30-08-07_1804.jpg
    30-08-07_1804.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,517
no mine has an adapter that fits on the thread of the motor then my disk bolts to the adapter.
I'm not sure if the front wheel will take an adapter - i dont see why not but paul would maybe know.
my hub is exactly the same though with the holes in the side like yours? - i think you just need an adapter?

cheers

D

Attachments

• DSC03049.JPG
    DSC03049.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 2,304
  • DSC03054.JPG
    DSC03054.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 2,305
Nice pics, helps alot. So where'd you get the adaptor? Coming from a Chinese factory you can get a 35x1mm thread for the hub thread adaptor or get the standard western size of 1.375x24 tpi thread pattern. If you can screw on a regular freewheel ( typical USA or Euro style, Shimano or such), and it goes on without binding, then you have the 1.375x24 tpi size. And that would be good, well, good for all us interested in that sort of thing! Oh, and by the way, the standard bolt hole diameter spacing for the rotor mount is 44mm, straight across, center to center. So, supplier?

Yes, those holes are more widely spaced than mine. They would be great for mounting a sprocket in order to use the motor as a BB drive! (they seem perfect for the job, with the extra freewheel and all)
The holes on mine are drilled into the motor casing as yours, but spaced much closer. Mark did tell me that some of the BMC needed a thread-on adapter....

Never mind the velo, would be nice to race each other on the KMX's round a fun track! (hmmmm....thoughts of renting goodwood for an afternoon next spring for a community ebike racing day!)

Herrsprocket said:
Nice pics, helps alot. So where'd you get the adaptor? Coming from a Chinese factory you can get a 35x1mm thread for the hub thread adaptor or get the standard western size of 1.375x24 tpi thread pattern. If you can screw on a regular freewheel ( typical USA or Euro style, Shimano or such), and it goes on without binding, then you have the 1.375x24 tpi size. And that would be good, well, good for all us interested in that sort of thing! Oh, and by the way, the standard bolt hole diameter spacing for the rotor mount is 44mm, straight across, center to center. So, supplier?

i guess i have the 1.375x24 tpi size, i got mine with the wheel from Mark, maybe drop him a mail/call him.
The only problem i can see is if the front wheel hubs dont take the adapter but a call to mark would verify?
goodwood? - i'm there!!!

Cheers

D 8)

Jozzer said:
Yes, those holes are more widely spaced than mine. They would be great for mounting a sprocket in order to use the motor as a BB drive! (they seem perfect for the job, with the extra freewheel and all)
The holes on mine are drilled into the motor casing as yours, but spaced much closer. Mark did tell me that some of the BMC needed a thread-on adapter....

Never mind the velo, would be nice to race each other on the KMX's round a fun track! (hmmmm....thoughts of renting goodwood for an afternoon next spring for a community ebike racing day!)

Hi

Goodwood! ha ha yes cool indeed! I must try and get the KMX down for a spin somehow, I dont normally run 72V on it but of course I can for a little race! he he, I bet they would be pretty close though! I should be able to nip you on range at the moment 10AH! my little KMX motor runs a bit warm at 72V! ha ha.

May get out on the BMX at 72V today, its nice and sunny today but rainy for the next few days, we shall see. I think it will perform very well at 72V although I am not looking forward to the speed!! on that little bike! ha ha.

Cheers

Knoxie

Right

Just got back in from a test with the 320RPM wheel and Puma controller! very good indeed, I think that DC will be happy, I have no way of checking but I did suspect that the controller may limit the top amps when connected at 72V, I have a feeling it did this a little, but that is a good not a bad thing, there wasnt as much wheelspin and it still pulled hard.

I havent the connectors on the motor to try to run it at 72V with the Xlyte controller however I think the 35A gives it too much, so this is an ideal balance between power and reliability.

The top speed I got was 35mph on the flat and it still pulled up the hills well, when you have 1000 quids worth of batteries hooked up to it you want the thing to be reliable and I am sure it will be, the controller wasnt even warm and the hub ice cold, even the lead wasnt warm? I think amps are maybe being limited at 72V to 25A or so, this makes sense to me, the BMX always felt very dangerous at 35A 72V like that, this was much better and should meet Decannios needs! as he will be getting it according to Mark! lucky boy indeed. DC Could of course run the new Puma controller on his existing wheel at 72V and I think it would be ok still.

THe BMX will now go back to its old incarnation, it wears tyres quickly enough at that! ha ha but is a great laugh, I will quickly edit the short video I did and get it up on google video this afternoon.

Cheers

Knoxie

Well done knoxie, a test well done. i think I'll order one of these controllers and see whats inside it :wink:

Yo

Video is processing now, the camera messed up on me, I tried to set it to record in full resolution and the memory card wasnt fast enough! bahh! oh well still got some good footage esp the in the forks wheelspin which is mental.

Check back later

P

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dTth7WYKDwQ

Thats the youtube video link, a higher res one will be up later on Google Video later and If I get really bored I may do another run with a different memory card on a totally flat piece of road to see what the max speed is.

Later Doods

Knoxie

Back