Adrian's 2nd Build - Giant AC Full Suspension

adrian_sm said:
I am sure the novelty and usefullness will quickly fade.

Hasn't for me i always download the data logging from my Castel Creations hv160 since i got the cable, like to see how everything is working, i think we may get more data than you guys get from the Infineons though? ...e.g-->

Data_Logged_After_4th_1000uf_cap_added.JPG

KiM

bandaro said:
so hows the extra booster cells going? running it at the higher voltage yet, and is it much faster?

i like how the shirt turned out, seems a nice neat breathable way to conceal everything. how wide is the battery pack now? do you ever hit them while pedaling? im wondering how wide my build can go....

Just got the package on Friday, only jut been able to play with it in the last few hours.

So far I have modded the controller R1 resistor, so I don't blow the LM317 with the higher volts.
(Not sure if I need to mod R12 aswell, Lyen assures me it is fine, but an EE mate thinks I might be sending a few too many volts to the uController)
Reterminated my new batteries with andersons.
Made up all the wiring harnesses I need. (Parallel adapter, series adapter)
Just charging up the batteries now.

With any luck I'll having it ready for the ride to work tomorrow. It will be a tape the batteries on to the frame set-up for this test run, as I won't ahve time to do it properly.

Fingers crossed.

As for the battery with, I never hit them pedalling. My last build had the batteries in the same place, but with a bulkier cover and I would occasionally brush my calf muscles on them. But this one is fine.

They are the tab welded headways, so the cells are around 120mm long, add another 10mm or so for fabric, and a bit of protective plastic. So ~130mm.

- Adrian

-

AussieJester said:
adrian_sm said:
I am sure the novelty and usefullness will quickly fade.

Hasn't for me i always download the data logging from my Castel Creations hv160 since i got the cable, like to see how everything is working, i think we may get more data than you guys get from the Infineons though? ...e.g-->

KiM
:D I have had one off those celllog8 things sitting on a shelf. I got it to monitor my cell voltages while I ride, but I have never got around to putting on the balance taps on the headway pack so i can hook it up. Now I ahave the LiPo boosters, I will be able to give it a thrash on that. Should be interesting to see what is happening under load.

No where near the amount of data you are grabbing though.

- Adrian

Hey Adrian, what will your total voltage be?

The DC-DC converter is only rated to 72v. Mine works fine at 74 volts, but if you are over 80v.....

Mark_A_W said:

The DC-DC converter is only rated to 72v. Mine works fine at 74 volts, but if you are over 80v.....

Good call. I realised this last night at about 1 am when I finally got around to looking at the wiring and how I would mount things up.
Final volts are 83.6V hot off the chargers, but settles to ~78V once the surface charge is gone from the LiFePo4's.
I might just give it a run and see what happens. I have a spare DC-DC. :D

- Adrian

Wooo Hooo. We have power!

Taped the batteries on to the bike this morning, and headed off to work. All worked a charm, nothing blew up, no dramas, but WOW it was cool. I can see this is addictive, will be hard to go backwarsd in power levels now.
It is a totally different beast now. Does 55-60kph on the flat, and now goes uphill at the speed I used to do on the flats. :shock: 8)

Bike still feels rock solid on the road, even when going 65kph. But my brakes are going to have a harder life now.
I don't think I would want to go any faster, as there are too many idiots sharing the road.

I forgot to check out the motor and controller temperatures when I got to work. Will hopefully remember tonight when I get home.

From memory I averaged 20 wh/km, and used 5Ah. So no chance of not charging the LiPo at work if I keep riding like that. Which means I need to get another charger.
Got to work in 21mins rather than the usual 26, with a new average speed of 42 kph.

Now I have to clean things up:
- mount the lipos properly, securely with some protection.
- sort out the @work charging strategy
- Make a new cover, as the LiPo don't fit under the old one.

I had the Celllog8S hooked up looking at the LiPo voltages. This covers the whole ride from a full 4.2V per cell charge to 50% DOD.
2010-08-17_Ride To Work.jpg

Awesome, I bet you felt so good and PLUZZZZZ take video camera with you!! show us the show like GCinDC :wink:

Funny you should say that. I had the video running, but alas I take the safer back roads, which makes for some pretty boring viewing.
At least I am keeping up with the cars now, and not watching them slowly creep away.

But defintely no weaving through moving traffic like GCinDC.

Maybe if I get a few clips worth showing I'll compile a little movie.

Actually (I checked) it was 22wh/km, with pedalling. Was quite a bit of stop start.

Can still pedal along but only just. So my contribution has probably dropped.

You'll be needing a 56t chainring like me 8)

I still have the 48t kicking around, did you want to try it?

I thought the 56t chainring was in use on another bike? If not hell yeah, I'll give it a go. Feeling a bit like a passanger at the moment.

Few weird things happening on the bike. The CA screen was blank when I went to ride home today.
Seemed to come good when I unplugged and re-plugged all the new series/parallel wiring. Strange since the motor still spun up full speed, so the CA-SA shunt would have had to have full voltage...

The Turnigy Accucel-8 150W charger I bought it also weird.
Seems to cut out charging at 3.85V per cell when in normal charge mode, but goes to 4.2V per cell when in balance mode.

Motor temperature is definitely up. Can hold my hand on the side cover for about 5-6 seconds, then starting to feel too warm to keep it on.
Will have to fix my IR thermometer, and get real readings.

Controller seemed fine temp wise. Still a bit concerned that I am sending too high a voltage to the uC. R12 has 5.0V at 78 battery volts. But hot off the charger the battery volts are more like 83V. So this would be sending 5.3V at the uC. Lyen didn't seem to think I needed to change anything, but an EE mate has a concern... It survived the ride to and from work, so at least it wasn't immediately fatal.

The 48t is on another bike, but that bike is not getting much use at this time of year.

I might also have those balance chargers - I'll look.

Well I have now got my head around charging and wiring, so I no longer feel nervous charging up. Still a bit of a pain to have to disconnect wiring to charge up the packs seperately, and I really need to get a second charger so I don't have to carry it to work each day, but I am loving the extra volts. :evil:

Rode in today on 85% setting on the 6fet Infineon. Was a little bit more comfortable to ride, wasn't running out of gears, and didn't feel like I was going to break the speed limit if I didn't watch the speedo. :D Also meant I was getting reasonble efficiency again ~15wh/km.

Unfortunately I forget to check the CA readings before I unplugged it to charge up again.

adrian_sm said:
The Turnigy Accucel-8 150W charger I bought it also weird.

Seems to cut out charging at 3.85V per cell when in normal charge mode, but goes to 4.2V per cell when in balance mode.

Well I'll put this down to user error. The charge has a safety timer, that stops the charge after the designated amount of time. Since I have a puny 60W power supply, it was not reaching full charge before the timer ran out. :roll:
I'll probably now just cahrge to 4.1V since this still gives me enough capacity for the ride,

Mark_A_W said:

Yep you were right. When I fully charged both packs (83.6V) the DC-DC trips. Luckily it appears to have overvoltage protection, so it is still alive.

I switched the wiring so the DC-DC only draws from the headway pack and all is fine. Since I am only drawing ~10W for lights this will be fine.

- Adrian

I'm impressed with the charger you had on your bike this morning. And with the average speed of 42kph too!

adrian_sm said:
(Not sure if I need to mod R12 aswell, Lyen assures me it is fine, but an EE mate thinks I might be sending a few too many volts to the uController)
Fingers crossed

adrian_sm said:
Still a bit concerned that I am sending too high a voltage to the uC. R12 has 5.0V at 78 battery volts. But hot off the charger the battery volts are more like 83V. So this would be sending 5.3V at the uC. Lyen didn't seem to think I needed to change anything, but an EE mate has a concern... It survived the ride to and from work, so at least it wasn't immediately fatal.

You're 0.2V away from a latchup

full-throttle said:
I'm impressed with the charger you had on your bike this morning.

Pretty cheap too. Pity to is so huge, making it a PITA to carry around. Cells keep balance really well, so I only really need it for HVC.
I think my preference would be to have this charger sit at home, and balance charge. If I could have some simple method to "bulk" charge at work to 4.1V then have some HVC cut it out.

Read somewhere about using a celllog for that, must go search for the post.

full-throttle said:
You're 0.2V away from a latchup
:shock: That sounds scary. Mainly because I have no idea how much of an issue it is.
It is only at 83 while the Headway pack has it's surface charge.
Settles to 78-79 very quick. Should I change R12? It is pretty frigin' small so I might ask you to do it for me at work...

I am only using half the capacity on my normal ride to work, but think it might be a good idea to implement some LVC for the new LiPo booster pack to stop me doing something stupid.

Options that immediately come to mind are:
1) Audible Alarm
One of these alarms, to purely warn me audibly.
batt-monitor-6S.jpg

2) Proper controller cut-out on LVC
Use the alarm output of my celllog8m.
CL8S.jpg

The manual shows a typical wiring application for the alarm output.
alarm output typical application.jpg
The way I read this is I could just connect the controllers 5V as the VCC, get an appropriate resistor to drop the current, hook the output up to the e-brake pad on the controller, and hey presto we are set. Essentially just have it replace the normal e-brake.

I really haven't thought this through properly, what am I missing?

- Adrian

Okay. Thought I might post a quick video. Sorry for the crappy quality. I haven't quite got the hang of how to process and get it on youtube nicely.

Anyway since my typical ride is pretty boring, I thought I would show a sped up version of my ride in to work. So here goes 8x sped up, so it doens't bore you to death. Interesting to see how I keep up with the flow of traffic now that I am going a bit quicker. Feels safer to not hold up traffic as much, hopefully the cars feel the same.

[youtube]FTwPJ9gVXW4[/youtube]

- Adrian

And here is a non-sped up version of a short stint.

~60kph in dual lane traffic with no bike lane. Starting to run out of gears here, might have to find a bigger chainring sometime soon.

[youtube]u_0Z9ZUPwHU[/youtube]

- Adrian

nice, your are just like a slow car there mate, except faster through the round a bouts. barely holding the cars up at all, and faster off the line on the whole, what was the average speed for the run?

wtf was that mazda doing? it was in both lanes for about 20 seconds.. just grow some balls and overtake or settle to sit behind, honestly... thats what i hate most about traffic, if they are going faster, you really need to be aware of what they are doing (and its frequently stupid stuff) but if you get a bit faster than them, it is so much easier to dodge and weave through.

bandaro said:
nice, your are just like a slow car there mate, except faster through the round a bouts. barely holding the cars up at all, and faster off the line on the whole, what was the average speed for the run?
Averaged 38ish kph from memory. Bit slow going past the school because I had a slow car ahead.

bandaro said:
wtf was that mazda doing? it was in both lanes for about 20 seconds.. just grow some balls and overtake or settle to sit behind, honestly...

Tell me about it. I spent that whole time glancing over my shoulder trying to work out what he was doing. I could hear/feel him there. Like having someone sit in you blind spot while you are driving.... Rrrrrrr. I was going 60-65 on a downhill stretch, in a 60 speed limit. Guess they weren't looking at the speedo, just figuring I must be slow I am a bike.

That's a serious average speed. I average a similar speed when riding the Bomber to work so I know exactly how quick you need to be going to achieve this over a 20km ride. We need to catch up soon and go for a serious burn :twisted:

Most days I don't average 42, only when heading in early before there is much traffic. Maybe if I rode like GCinDC then there wouldn't be much difference. But I tend to take it easy in traffic. :D

Yeah keen to catch up. Would love to see one of your friction drives in action, as well as the bomber. I could probably convince a few of the other locals to join in the fun. Maybe when the weather is a bit better we can do a Melbourne gathering.

Weekends are pretty flexible for me at the moment, when is good for you?

Back