Ae-line 1st build

MadRhino

100 GW
Starting a first build with this bike:
2158463965_small_1.jpg

Pic shows small frame 2006, mine is medium 2007, but looks very much the same in black.

Norco A-line Downhill
26in wheels, single pedal gear, 9 rear gears, 9in disk brakes... I'd like to keep this configuration.

Begun today by reconfiguring bike geometry, adapting it to road riding. Longer seatpost, handlebar riser (4in up and 4in front). Had to change shifter cable to longer one, and realized that if the seatpost would be derported 2in rear, I'd have a near perfect posture for the road. Then, a bigger seat will not be luxury, as those DH seats are not meant to sit, usually. Those Kenda big dirt tires, not sure they will last very long. I'd say that riding will be 80% on road, the other 20% in nice mountain trails.

Now, I have to decide what motor type and model to start with... I want performance: Target 40mph, with high torque priority. From what I read on this forum already, it will likely be a rear hub motor, but I'm open to anything. I'm a newbie, tell me what YOU would do, if it was your project; then tell me why do you think your's the best way to deal with this bike. That would help me, to make an opinion for myself.

Thanks for your help.

I have been reading up a bunch for my first build I just started. I'm going to tell you to go R/C motor for most torque, next would be geared hub (route I went!) and then direct drive hub. Since my grades max at 15% the geared hub was my best choice with a budget in mind. I went with the BMC, Ilia is setting me up as we speak. I'm running 18s3p 15 amp lipo on the 600watt Speed model. Should get me into the mid to high 30's. This going on a Specialized 700c hybrid.

I am already planning my next build around a R/C motor and some sort of Down Hill bike frame. The 6inch suspension bikes are just fantastic....just not cheap.

Keep us in the loop.

Tom

This one has 9in suspension course, can be limited to 8in by switching swingarm attachment bolt to 2nd hole. This large displacement complicates the installation of a rear fender and carriage rack, they will have to be mounted very high on the frame and behind seat (motocross like).

R/C will give more torque? I do not mind about the cost, or labour required. I have all the winter to do it, and stealth is important in Montreal.

Hi

Well as you are a newbie I wouldnt recommend an RC setup, if you dont mind the weight I would go with an X5 in the rear, the only problem you are going to have is where to mount the batteries, the frame doesnt lend itself well to that.

It depends on what kind of range you want out of it also? RC builds are not as stealthy and can be quite noisy the X5 is as near as makes no difference silent!

40 mph will soak up your batteries pretty quickly :? i find 30 mph is more than ok on all my bikes I expect you have seen doctorbass and his 65mph downhill machine?

Good Luck

I did not have time to read many threads yet, but enough to have an idea of what will likely suit my project. I don't know whitch motor and setup, but a rear hub seems to be where I'm going.

I plan to split the batteries in 2 packs, part in a handlebar bag look alike, part on a rear rack bag. That should do it for the beginning, but I don't know yet what kind of volume and weight the needed Batteries will be. I will post soon, pictures of my actual bike and some ideas of design.

I plan performance, but have no real need for more than 1 hour autonomy, lasting is not an important issue for this first project. I want good acceleration, top speed of 40mph would be nice but not as important since I'm not likely to attain this speed often in town.

I have read the thread from DoctorBass about the batteries that he makes from recycled Makita units, very interesting. I like the idea for the flexibility of design, and quick charge. I know about the amazing performance he attains, I don't plan so much speed, but I shall read about his way to obtain the best of a hub motor. Now, I'm going to read about the X5 that you suggest.

imag0094small.jpg

Bigger: http://a.imageshack.us/img641/3749/imag0094t.jpg

That is my a-line today

Installed bigger seat, and those front and rear bags. Geometry is comfortable to ride in town.
This setup is temporary, I hope it will carry enough battery to run a rear hub motor at fair performance. Bags are solid, but I may add support brackets; could carry 10 to 15 pounds easy in each. Not sure about the volume needed though.

The plan is to use available space on the frame, eventually. Here's a pic showing projected space management:

imag0087plan1small.jpg

Bigger: http://a.imageshack.us/img837/2161/imag0087plan1.jpg

Filling the top line of the frame with a custom module, easily removable. I can do nice here with carbon fibre, but esthetics and ergonomy would limit the width. Still can put enough room to get rid of the front bag, eventually. The rear rack will be modified, making it one piece with the custom fender, space would be available inside the fender construction and the rear bag could hold heavier, maybe a bit bigger. Additional space under handlebar could be holding another module, including headlight and controller, maybe more...

Building those 3 modules, is not a short term project. Since it's my first, I hope to manage with the bag space, untill I have a satisfying running aE-Line bike. Still thinking about the motor, read about the X5 series. Looks good, but I need help to figure out the power and setup needed to attain my performance objectives. The bike now weights 49 pounds, road tires coming soon, taking off a bit of weight. Hope to keep finished project under 80.

Nice bike. What kind of bag is on the front? Are the mounts plastic or alumimum. I'm curious how the mounting hardware works.

Thanks. I know nothing about E-bikes, yet. Design and art work is my business, so you can believe it will have a look. I need to know what kind of volume and weight that I will have to deal with. When the bike performance satisfies my goal, I will work on making it nice and balanced. The next project will be heading toward optimization and integration, only after I know enough about related tech.

MadRhino said:
This one has 9in suspension course, can be limited to 8in by switching swingarm attachment bolt to 2nd hole. This large displacement complicates the installation of a rear fender and carriage rack, they will have to be mounted very high on the frame and behind seat (motocross like)..

Whilst i like the , and a FS bike is ideal for fast road use,..... you are going to have some issues due to the huge suspension travel and consequent high C of G.
There is a reason why fast road motorbikes dont look like motox bikes ! ... Stability at speed and handling !

This will be made much worse with the battery packs up high in those bags.
you may want to think seriously about how you could get more weight down low as possible.

You're right, I know that the weight distribution is flawd from the start. I'm not afraid for the stability, this bike sure can take speed and weight, much more that I will succeed to attain. Handling is a serious issue though, as adding all the weight way over the center implies more force needed for every trajectory correction. Manoeuverability will suffer a delay, and the fact that the bike is very high in the first place, only adds to it. I will first address the tech, since I can't even calculate now the amount of weight, force and volume implied; then I will work on ergonomics and balance when I can actually ride it with everything needed on it. Still, I already tested some extra weight in the purpose to verify the solidity of the bags attachments. With two bricks in each, I rode downhill on the road and was very comfortable with it. I plan to try some trail today, to shake em bags a little more.

After reading some threads about motors and various builds, I found that it will be difficult for a newbie like me, to attain the performance goals that I have targetted. I believe that X5 series is the best, but requires experience to get the performance that I plan out of them. I don't know if I can learn enough, only by reading this forum, to successfully complete this project with the X5.

I wonder if I might have to use a geared hub, to attain my performance objectives with this first project. I ran the simulator software on Ebike.ca, to find out that my performance goal could be done easily with a BMC V2 torq with 66v Dewalt A123 and 40A controller. I found a kit at cycle9...
http://www.cycle9.com/c9store/elect...v2-t-600w-high-torque-rear-hub-motor-kit-p-86
It is so cheap, that I have a doubt. Usually, when it looks too good to be true.... There's a bug somewhere.
Still I would like to know what experience you guys had with this equipment, and what I should know to avoid problems. Then, about the battery pack, I guess I could do with individual cells to fill a custom enclosure for design purpose, but in the meantime I could deal with square packs.

Thanks to those who are willing to help, I'm kind of lost in this E-bike endless world.

My first build was full sespension,it can be a hassle but well worth it. Even if it's just in the rear rims you save.
Your first problem will likely be with a rack that can hold at least 15 Ah of battery without swaying side to side. I tried literally every rack from Old Man Mountain to finally Topeak. Here's a link to how I did minehttp://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13931
I'm running the X5 myself and you want 20 Ah of battery so that it doesn't eat up batteries. I get about 32 mph out of my 40 amp controller at 48 volt. I split it up 10 Ah in the front and 15 Ah in the back. These are LiFe, 26 lbs. of it. LiPo would be lighter and may need less Ah that way but may not be for newcomers. Very complicated and potentially dangerous charging regimen.
I also went with front drive to balance the weight.
Something to think about. Gotta go ride right now though. More later...

Get a x5304 and run it at 72v 45-60A 18fet Controller. It wont be 40mph though prob 35-38 peak. I know a 5303 will give you almost 40mph at 44v but it will lack torque. You additional torque and speed at 66v @35-45A but the motor is very hard on controllers at high voltages. The X5 motors are bullet proof and can take continuous power pretty well. The geared BMC can take some punishment but you kinda have to be ginger with them at the same time which is counter productive.

I like the 5304, but I will not have the torque that I want, unless I run it at very hi voltage. If the simulator is right at Ebikes.ca, there is a huge difference in torque: 5304 will give 75nm at a speed of 20km/h when running with 72v 15ah and 40A controler, the BMC v2 torq will give 90nm with the same combination of speed and power supply.

If I install the BMC kit wit a bigger controler, say 100v, can I run it at 66v and prevent overheating?
If I go with Chysalyte, it would be 5306 but it seems that no one sells it. Even the 5305 is hard to find. In pure theory, the BMC v2 torq will give the motocross feel that I want to have.

About the batteries, carrying 20 pounds is not a problem, but I want to hide them in the design. I plan to build custom modules with carbon fibre, that will integrate the bike original design, only adding to it. Here is a rough idea of the look that I have in mind:

desigba.jpg

MadRhino said:
I like the 5304, but I will not have the torque that I want, unless I run it at very hi voltage. If the simulator is right at Ebikes.ca, there is a huge difference in torque: 5304 will give 75nm at a speed of 20km/h when running with 72v 15ah and 40A controler, the BMC v2 torq will give 90nm with the same combination of speed and power supply.
So the difference in torque between the 5304 and the BMC V2-T is 15nm. I would easily trade that 15nm of torque for the ability to pound on my motor pretty much at will.
I towed almost a hundred pounds in a bob trailer through the Appalachian mountains up miles of 10 to 12 % grades and the X5 never once even got too hot to touch and never once tried to stall. I figured out that without the trailer I can go 0 to 30 in under a 10th of a mile per my Cycle Analyst. Faster than most cars :lol: !!!
I started with a geared motor and stripped some gears in lesser motors than the BMC and it sucks. But they are torque monsters, my 20 amp Fusin motor towed everything the X5 did just slower with more pedaling until I finally stripped a gear.
The silence factor also is such a plus. The most you get out of the X5 is a low vibratory growl under heavy load. Where as a geared motor you can hear it working. Under load when they are really whining you end up feeling really compelled($$) to pedal to help your motor out.
All this is just my humble opinion. I was where your at a year ago and I have learned so much from the guys on this forum.
Here's a pic of my final creation 2200 miles later still runnin' strong...Electric bike.jpg

Hehe, now you make me think again... Especially about the noize. :cry:

What about the 5306, does anyone here knows who trades them? I would build with this one, rear and disk.

MadRhino said:
Hehe, now you make me think again... Especially about the noize. :cry:

What about the 5306, does anyone here knows who trades them? I would build with this one, rear and disk.

I have no idea who would have a 5306. I got my kit from www.electricrider.com. Good people. Cherie from electricrider sent me a new throttle when I was on the road. No questions asked, deliver to a small town post office in the middle of nowhere. You could ask them. A real person answers the phone there, not an easy thing to find these days.
There's alotta times I wish I had gone rear wheel. Specially in uphill gravelly roads. But there's nothing like off-road, pedaling the rear and giving short bursts with the motor. Or on-road, I pedal and ease into the throttle around corners and the traction from both wheels feels great. Plus balance, my bike will almost balance on my two leg kickstand. But like I said there are traction issues. Can't wait to see your ride you've got some cool ideas.

Crash Machine said:
...got my kit from http://www.electricrider.com. Good people. Cherie from electricrider sent me a new throttle when I was on the road. No questions asked, deliver to a small town post office in the middle of nowhere. You could ask them. A real person answers the phone there, not an easy thing to find these days.
There's alotta times I wish I had gone rear wheel...
Tried with them already, they have the 5305 and I give it some reflection... I believe the 5306, not only has more torque, but also clears more space for 9gear and heavy torque arm. Since I have single gear setup in the front, I would like to keep the 9 in the rear. Going front drive is out of the question, I want motocross feel, torque rear is a must. I have now a good idea of the volume needed for batteries, so I started to build the top frame module, while I am waiting to find a satisfying motor.

imag0125ek.jpg

Well, I have the bike running for 2 weeks now, and it is about time to post a pic. :D

I got it to run before the winter on 18s 3p lipo, with a 5304 and a 72v 49A controler (thanks to Max). The 5306 is on order, and I plan to run it at 100v (maybe 120). The motor have been laced in an older model of DH rim, Sunrim Big Fat Mammoth, it already took to alot of abuse and still true as new after 2 weeks.

Right now, it does not climb the mountain to my satisfaction, but has enough speed on the streets (76Km/h). The 5306 at higher voltage should give all expected performance.

I carry 9 battery packs in the front bag, with a big cable lock, tools, and even lunch sometimes. Surprizingly, it does not affect the steering handling, and since the weight in the front is about the same as the motor in the rear wheel, it still jumps in balance only with heavier landings. The only problem with this big front bag, is that it obstructs my sight of the front wheel, that is bothering on rough downhill terrain. So, the batteries will be frame mounted next springtime, I have all the winter to find the best way to do it.

I am happy with the ride, very promising for the final build in the spring. Friends who tried it are all amazed of it's speed and handling. I already bought a new Specialized DH bike, to freeride for a while, and in the perspective of an even better 2nd build next year.

I'm shopping a POV camera, video coming soon. :twisted:

Hi MadRhino,

Well to be completely honest I did it one time with a hard tail wind 88 Km/h on flat with no wind can be achieve, thanks for the compliments about the bike. I'm not sure if I will up grade this ebike or if I will sale it.

My ideas for mountain hills climber with fast speed ebike is (2) 9C 2806 on 24" rim with (2) 18 Fets controller and a 100 Volt 40 amps pack nominal 88 Volt.

Too many projects in my head and not enough money, my current ebike is really more modest. Nice work on your ebike, good day!

Black Arrow.

Hi MadRhino,

Well to be completely honest I did it one time with a hard tail wind 88 Km/h on flat with no wind can be achieve, thanks for the compliments about the bike. I'm not sure if I will up grade this ebike or if I will sale it.

My ideas for mountain hills climber with fast speed ebike is (2) 9C 2806 on 24" rim with (2) 18 Fets controller and a 100 Volt 40 amps pack nominal 88 Volt.

Too many projects in my head and not enough money, my current ebike is really more modest. Nice work on your ebike, good day!

Black Arrow.

Thanks

Well, the 18 4115 controller I bought from Lyen is rated for 150v 50A max. Right now, it is programmed for 100v 50A and I will install it on the bike next weekend. It should be pretty fast, and with a bit more torque too.

Then, I know that I will not find it a good climber until I receive the 5306, and upgrade the controller to 100A. That I will install on the Specialized Demo 8 that I bought and just restored as new. I have big expextations for this one, for it is the best handling freeride bike I ever tried, with very low CEG and extremely fluid suspension system.

I don't want to build a 2WD cause the front wheel is often too light on the ground in the mountain trails, and the bike would likely slide spinning from the front. But the Demo 8 has a built-in setting in the swingarm for a 24in wheel, that keeps the perfect balance with the smaller wheel in the back, so I might go there for more torque if necessary. This 2nd build shall be way better, now that I know a bit more about EV.

Yep folks! Gears make noize! I love the unsprung weight but my 9C is QUIET compared to my old Bafang at 54 volts. Just the way it is although I would love to hear a quiet gear motor. I would buy it in a heartbeat!
otherDoc

Back