SCORE!!!

Evoforce

10 kW
I have been searching for the past year for a good deal on used panels to add to my existing home solar system. Just got 4515 watts additional for under a dollar per watt on a set of top rated panels that are only 2.5 years old. I am very pleased! That will put my system at 5225 watts. I've got the biggest smile on my face. Not too happy about the shrunk bank account though. I also got the 5200 watt inverter and racks and misc.

Awesome. Do you have a recommendation for a good 5000W inverter and charge controller? I'm just getting into solar, but don't know which of those are any good.

Hi Itch, glad to hear you are wading into solar! I can't really give a recommendation on that, there are alot of good ones out there. Pick one with a good warranty if buying new. Many of them have 10 year warranty. Or if buying used see if the warranty is transferable. Other than that, if the price is so good that it is disposable, use it till it breaks. If you could tell me more about what your plan is, I might be able to help you a little more.

Now we know where those panels went that were stolen off the top of that school. :oops:

Did the under $1/watt include everything...inverter, etc? Hell of a deal even if the extras were extra.

Anyone looking to do a solar install should check out Enphase micro inverters (http://www.enphaseenergy.com/products/products/micro-inverter.cfm). Modular system means you could expand your system gradually, and if something fails its a small issue. No guessing about how much system you'll end up with and oversizing components. No running of HV or high amperage DC lines, all AC grid tie. Plus the system communicates over the power wires so you can check each inverter/panel status with a computer. Seriously cool tech IMHO...

But congrats on the PV system. 5kw+ is definitely getting into the territory where you're making some serious power. If the electrical grid just went down one day, you'd be a king with that much juice. You going to track with those panels or stationary mount to a roof?

It cost me a little more for the inverter and mounts but if factoring it all in came out to $1.26 watt. Trackers are soo expensive but I would like to do that. At this time, I have most of the roof mount brackets so will probably roof mount. Rear roof of house is south facing which is good but I really wish I could find a way to tracker mount for less. That way I could increase the efficiency even more.

Back