Electric Snowmobile

br549

10 W
Here is my latest project. This is my first snowmobile. It comes equipped with a rare front wheel option that will be good for warm weather testing before the skis go on and the snow flies.

snowmobile01.jpg

Here's a shot from the back. It has a nice bay for the motor and battery pack.

snowmobile02.jpg

Let me be the first to tell ya that is one cool vehicle. Not sure how it's goingto take to being an electric but it is cool. Gotta love the dual tracks and wheels too. HAve to decided what motor (motors) you will use?

dumbass said:
Let me be the first to tell ya that is one cool vehicle. Not sure how it's goingto take to being an electric but it is cool. Gotta love the dual tracks and wheels too. HAve to decided what motor (motors) you will use?
This is a big project. Big with a capital "B". This thing is a monster! Bigger than anything I would have imagined when I first viewed her on Craigslist. I'm not sure what people on the forum have done in terms of calculating the amount of electricity it would take to propel something like this through the snow. I'll report back what I find in real-snow conditions.

BTW. Thanks for the compliment.

FrankG said:
Are the tracks going to be driven in unison or independantly, like a BobCat skid-steer?
It has two clutches that allow individual braking for each track. The brakes are in the front. I've considered putting two motors on for tank like steering but to start with I'll stay with the original design and use one motor.
snowmobile03.jpg

FrankG said:
As to sizing the motor, What displacement was originally installed, even though there is considerable variance between ICE and Electric motor specs, it would be a starting point... If you're going to retain the the gearing of the drive train, at least you'll have an approximation of the RPM/HP range you'll need to make it fly.
I'm not sure if I have the:
Tracker 2/10 10 1/2" tracks
395cc, 24 hp, weight 625
Tracker GT-15 15 1/2" tracks
399cc, 30 hp, weight 750
Tracker GT-15 Sportster 15 1/2" tracks
634cc, 38 HP 760lb

That thing is just begging for a pair of eteks. Chain drive to each track, they would probably remove more weight than they add. Plus double the peak output of the engine.

Very cool. Never seen one of those before

litespeed said:
Not sure if it's helpful but I found this......http://elitepowersolutions.com/snowmobile.html

Tom
I'd be happy with very happy with the 15.4 mile range. It would be a nice goal to have mine operating by the competition in March (even though I can't enter) it might be fun to take it up there.

Dates have been set for the 2011 Collegiate Design Series Competition Season. Besides this article, the complete schedule can be viewed online under Events/Meetings - Events by type - Student Competitions.

2010 Collegiate Design Series Competition Schedule
SAE Clean Snowmobile Challenge
Houghton, Michigan
March 7 – 12, 2011
Registration Team Limit = 25 teams
Registration Cost = $500.00

AmpEater said:
That thing is just begging for a pair of eteks. Chain drive to each track, they would probably remove more weight than they add. Plus double the peak output of the engine.

Very cool. Never seen one of those before
Believe me the thought has crossed my mind. I'd love to make it into a robotic sled with tank drive steering. I already own one controller from Roboteq and I have two Eteks in original boxes!

roboteq01.jpg

newetek01.jpg

br549 said:
FrankG said:
Are the tracks going to be driven in unison or independantly, like a BobCat skid-steer?
It has two clutches that allow individual braking for each track. The brakes are in the front. I've considered putting two motors on for tank like steering but to start with I'll stay with the original design and use one motor.
snowmobile03.jpg

You may be sorry with one motor. Those clutches/brakes are notorious for being a pain after the sled has sat outside for a few months. There are two of those sleds in our local club. I think they are both 440 cc. Great fun on a hard packed flat trail. Useless anywhere else.

Gordo said:
br549 said:
FrankG said:
snowmobile03.jpg

You may be sorry with one motor. Those clutches/brakes are notorious for being a pain after the sled has sat outside for a few months. There are two of those sleds in our local club. I think they are both 440 cc. Great fun on a hard packed flat trail. Useless anywhere else.

Talk about "drive line losses" would prolly even be an understatement. I think the 2 motors running separate sides or linking the 2 motors to run through the clutches would be a minimal approach. Chains, tracks and clutches make me shutter at the amount of power loss......

Tom

Not technically a snowmobile, but perhaps food for thought/reference:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3141&start=0

WOW! :shock:

Starting bid: US $40,004.60

Maybe I shouldn't convert it to electric!!! :oops:

1969 ALSPORT TRACKER,, AMPHIBIOUS ATV..AATV - TWINTIRES - $40,004.60 5d 20h 52m

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280560126259&viewitem=

ebay40000.jpg

Wow!

It is a funny vehicle. And probably not many were manufactured.

But.. 40k WOW

If it's in not too bad state, I'd clean it up and put it on Ebay, if it were me.

Back