Spooky Tooth Undead Race Results

Great effort and well done Dogman! You'll win next time but you showed 'em this time!
otherDoc

since you are over 50mph I'd say it's time to start investigating fairings for the next step in competitiveness.

great race update thanks for the details dogman,im kinda icked at lfp mental image of swimming and such jeez :shock: .haha you folks are sure fun.
btw i raced a happy time in city going up 3% grade 4 blocks,took him by 4 bike lengths,should have saw the look on his face no sound no noise just me pedalling at 34,was my first ebike gas race :twisted: .

YEAH DM!!!!! 'You are THE MAN!!!! This is the best thread ever on the sphere!!!! Stick it to them stinkers!! 30s all the way!! Convert them , they will follow you!!!!!

LMAO Luke , that shit cracked me up!

mike in manitoba

what can i say that hasn't been said already dogman...you da man and i second looking into a small fairing for a few extra mph

TPA said:
since you are over 50mph I'd say it's time to start investigating fairings for the next step in competitiveness.

...and more room for SPONSOR messages! congrats dogman, awesome job and proud of you!

"I think I simply need to bring 120v next time and run em down like dogs in the straightaways."

You gotta love it. Great run, Dogman

shockdyno

Kudos to all who donned the leathers and goggles to challenge the tarmac!

Dogman sure looked like you had the corner lean down well in the first video. I can see how you would have had a podium place with your riding style. Murphy sure struck with the flagman grabbing a flag that was only half "black" to black flag the leader... I like how you analyzed your performance last year, and in a system way attacked all the critical areas for improvement. Do the same this year, and you will move from podium to first! With thud coming, you guys might sweep the podium...

... my apologies to drewjet for originally posting this reply in his thread on electrathons... I have now learned to never post while you wife is dragging the computer from you saying we are late for Church... I am starting to observe with more frequency than I like that ol' guys (me) can get confused! :shock: ... now where did I put the mouse?...

Vids starting to come up on You Tube. Posted here.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22573&p=328394#p328394

Owning the first corner is one thing. got that. Keeping it, priceless.... working on it.

Dogman,

My heart bleeds for you...You had em.

A few questions-
How was the gasser competition compared to the spring race?
Did you have to brake going into the corners or just let off the gas?
What kind of wh/mi consumption did you run in the main event?
How hot is it this time of year and for the spring race?
Did many of the guys get to try your extra bike? Any converts?

The fastest guys were all there again, but Fairracing 31 blew his engine. Leaving the guy that got flagged, Alex pretty in controll. Those are the two to beat. After that, about 4-5 really fast guys, a few of whom crashed this year either in the main or earlier. Or they blew a corner and got slow, or broke down, All I know is I started hearing just one engine back there.

This spring there will be at least 15 in that, beatable at 100v class. That is, unless you muff one corner. Then you get to chase em down and they won't wave you past because you are faster. These guys are no joke, having speed on em doesn't even come close to garanteeing you can outcorner them 168 times. 12 laps, 14 corners.

Good brakes are crucial. You are going perhaps 35-40 mph, and have to get slowed to 25-30 or fly off into the dirt. Enough lead space and you can do much more coasting into the corners, but without good brakes you have to brake early, or grow balls and fly around the corner faster than you dreamed you could. Too much coasting, and a guy with brakes takes you entering the corner. So It's on the throttle, then on the brakes, all the way around the circuit. I had rim brakes, but ok ones. I need disk.

Watthours /mi got interesting. I don't have it calculated, and didn't have the CA speedo connected. You'll have to do the math. But the interesting thing was I used much less in both the heat race and in the main, than in practice. In the heat race I did 6 .8 mile laps using ( EDIT 2.8 ) ah of 24s lipo( 100v max volts ). About the same in the heats using 20s, ( 84 max volts) In practice laps, I was using similar amounts to go 4 laps. In the race, I carried a lot more speed around the corners, and had to accelerate less to get to max speed again. And I pedaled my ass off with that 56 tooth front crank on the long straights. But comeon, 100 watts added to 3400? It was not braking into the corners as much that saved the watthours.

Sorry I forgot to write down better data, like actual watthours used. I never even looked at that number all day. I just wanted to know if I could do 12 laps without eating a $600 battery. 72v 10 ah is plenty for a heat race, 6-8 laps. 90v 10 ah will get you to the end of a 12 lap main. But you will be slow and get passed at the end with both. 15 ah is what you need, to be faster later in the race. 20 ah even better, provided its weight doesn't hinder cornering.

I'm scheming on 30s 15 ah lipo for the spring race.

Temp this time was about 90F. Real hot for racing leathers. Last spring even hotter, at least 95 f, even that early in the spring in april.

Not one person rode the demo bike. Many had the wrong wrist band to go on the track. you had to pay less to just get into the pits. Those that did, had a bike of their own they wanted to ride. So Sauty was a hoot. He realized he could rent a 50cc motorcycle and was riding it all day. Musta dropped a fortune, unless they broke his $75 ride into segments. Boy was he grinning away. Unfortunately cant rent the Zero motorcycle.

What fun, DogManZ is being a bit modest, true 2nd and 3rd place was tight at mid-race, yet their last lap, when 1st place was DQ'ed, showed DogmanZ had some distance over his challenger who occassionally would miff a corner. Also, lap times showed the 2 strokes were heating up and slowing as well. Leaders were turning 86sec laps early on then dropped back to 89sec times lap 10 & 11, bout the same rate as Dogmanz. The crowd favorite, Clay with the 30 piece tuned exhast, couldn't get his jetting just right and DNF'ed with a stuck piston ring.View attachment 4

I rented a some little 2 wheeled race bike early in the day. Powerful little son of gun with gears, and front disc that could've flipped me, yet I couldn't hang with the motored bicycles, they really soared thru the turns, the race isn't about just power, it's who can finess those turns :!: At 1st they were gonna' rent me a "Zero" but the track got busy and thought it unsafe to mix a 70mph electric motorcycle on the track. Gotta add that a number of good folks offered rides on their builds. I think having to strap on lots of safety gear hindered taking demo rides. Next April I'll have all the gear and take up 'every' offer for demo rides 8)

Estimated times/speeds:
Fall Undead Race;
15-17 racers
top speed 'bout 42mph (2 1/8mi straights)
winner average 33mph
1 6 lap heat 5.4 mile +pre-lap & cool down lap = 7.2 mile
final 12 lap 10.8mile +pre-lap & cool down lap = 12.5 mile

Spring Spooky Tooth;
70+ racers
top speed 'bout 43mph (2 1/8mi straights)
winner average 34mph
?3 heats 8 laps 7.2miles +pre-lap & cool down lap = 9 mile
final 12 lap 10.8mles +pre-lap & cool down lap = 12.5 mile

Of 17 racers, 2 bikes died before the race, seems only 9 riders or so finished. A modest build that can finish makes you competitive. Most ran single speed 66cc 2 strokers, 1 larger ?90cc 4 stroke, 4 e-bikes (2 finished). Pedalling was generally considered helpful with some wishing they had taller gearing. Didn't notice any gear boxes, just bike rear hub shifters.

Here's a bike that ran 4th for a while.

Good 'ole Ed/EvoForce, he showed up so short on sleep that I'm sure the Saguaro Cactus looked hallucinagenic green. He started with a flat tire, how'd that spoke get inside the tire :?: Jumped on his back up bike, knobbie and all, finished 4th! One spot out of trouphy :D I'd say the track was custom made for 5X's.

Felt DogmanZ C-9 motor, pretty warm, but he says that ain't nothing and he'll be running household Voltage next race :wink:

Attachments

• Tooth3.jpg
    Tooth3.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,260
  • Tooth6.jpg
    Tooth6.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 1,254
  • Tooth5.jpg
    Tooth5.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,138
Thanks Dogman and SoSauty, that info puts it in good perspective, which the rider cam just can't do, because video destroys the sense of speed for me. It does sound like I'll have to budget more kwh/mi than the 100 I was thinking, that is unless I can tune the regen current to greater than 10A to recover a really nice chunk of energy braking to set up the turn.

It sounds like you guys had a blast, so I really to hope to make the next one.

John

AussieJester said:
Did Amberwolf make a showing and run?
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=328381#p328381

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=328389#p328389

AussieJester said:
Amberwolf you crazy mofo did you actually race CB2???
It looked more like this for the track:
file.php

since the side pods would just dig holes if I tried to turn. :)

Well, I ended up chickening out of actually racing, because I found myself and the bike too risky/dangerous to ride a race with others potentially clustered up coming up behind me when they lap me (it's too slow to keep up with them, my fastest was only 31.5MPH),
file.php
as I was sure at some point either the front wheel would come out of hte dropouts or I'd just slide out again (possibly on the track, which would be a problem, as opposed to doing it again on the gravel which would be fine).

But I rode around the track and had a SPECTACULAR slide-out crash at one of the tight corners (right before the straight I think), which I almost made but didn't by maybe an inch on the rear--I did make it the next time around.
file.php

At least I was wearing the pads, or that would have been my kneecap. ;)

I think if I had a few hours of track time and enough batteries to do that plus the actual race, I'd be able to safely race without hurting anyone else. I don't yet have enough batteries to do that:
file.php

So if I am able to go in the spring, I will try it then. :)

dogman said:
I did get a bit of helmet cam vid of Evo and Amberwolf in thier first practice lap. Amberwolf thrilled the crowd sliding out in the last corner on crazybike.
Tell me you got that on camera, please! Because I would LOVE to see that from everyone else's perspective. :lol: It had to be spectactular, as much dirt as I threw out. :shock: :oops:

Evo had left a loose spoke in his tire when he mounted it.
Actualy, that was my fault; I was relacing his wheel from a trashed rim (spokes pulled thru it) during the trip, and with the wheel on my lap and the tire down on the floor at our feet, sticking the old spokes into a cupholder between the seat/floor I must've missed one and dropped it into the tire. Dunno how we missed it when putting the tire back on the wheel later, but we did. :( :oops:

dogman said:
You are going perhaps 35-40 mph, and have to get slowed to 25-30 or fly off into the dirt.
No, really? I'd never guessed that. :lol: Doh! :)

Vid loading now. I was looking the wrong way when you slid out, but Sue got a perfect still just as your front wheel hit dirt. It's inserted into the vid. Should be on you tube soon. I may have to wait till after work to link it.

That guy chasing me was fast! But he'd muff a corner occasionally. One muffed corner at 20 mph means a lap of catching up at least.

Good job Dan, you're the man! I'd love to race, but I'm a fraidy cat. I hope you have good medical coverage. I'd like you to use one of our motors in a race, the sponsorship is a good idea. I'd like to watch a race sometime, I hope it gets more popular.

Gratz Dogman,

Can I recommend? Since you tried 9x7 motor in race and got 3rd place. Time for you go 5303 motor hub and You see
Icecube has 5303 motor using 44v LiPo and his avg 42mph (He mentioned, He weighted 250lbs range - OH WOW 42mph!). If you used 88v 15Ah or 20Ah LiPo 24s3p or 4p. Maybe you will win instant 1st place no time because it will take you into 50s mph straight road.

Just idea for next spring race. Since I watched youtube video and I see couple guys outrun you in straight road obviously
the 9x7 motor hub is out of question then upgrade into stronger motor like X5 series type.

Came in 4th in the heat running 84v. And was doing well with 100v, (47mph) so I think 120v will do the trick next time.

Just need more turnigy's, and to not crash. Man a lot of fast riders crashed this time.

I have a 5304 laying around.

nice work, dogman. and thanks for the vids! looks like good riding there. bravo.

now tell me, was there anytime you'd have preferred a rear motor? any spinouts at all, or do you avoid that by leaning forward?

and is that the same toolbox that had the ping? if it could only talk...

Back