Freehub Body Options for Dual Freewheels at the Rear Hub

RWP

1 kW
How about another option for attaching two freewheels to a wheel hub?
The idea is to replace the freehub body with a part that attaches in the same way the freehub does but is not freewheeling. This new part has threads on the outside to screw on freewheels and the short splines on the inside to engage the hub. I think this would be a relatively easy part to make...

My perception is that we do not need the freewheel function of the hub body because we are going to screw two ENO, or other type of, freewheels onto the hub and the two freewheels isolate each other.

If you want one freewheel and some cogs for a derailleur then this would not work.
Your thoughts please.

P1000479sc.jpgP1000481sa.jpgP1000480sd.jpgP1000482sb.jpg

sounds like a good idea, I came across this a while back and posted in the fitting freewheels to splined drivers thread -

fixedadapter500x500.jpg

fa3.jpg
fa4.jpg
fa5.JPG

NAHBS_2010_093.jpg

http://kimori.info/en/bike-parts/fixed-gear-adapter

See at 1:25 in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBo_9nupHJg

Won't work on the SRAM DD of course, but should be fine with Shimano hubs etc

They also sell some nice Moulton looking bikes[/quote]

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13532&p=255078#p255078

only problem is you would need to find a screw through freewheel for the inner freewheel.

Indeed, I recall there was a thread where this was done. I think it is a good idea!

Dang. I didn't realize someone already did this. I was going to machine something like a Surly Fixxer except it would have room for a BMX freewheel AND a traditional 5spd thread-on freewheel. Turns out there isn't quite enough room on a standard 9spd hub anyways... EDIT: The other big advantage of this is that you aren't running all of your power through a flimsy Shimano freehub which aren't known for their durability...

RWP said:
How about another option for attaching two freewheels to a wheel hub?
The idea is to replace the freehub body with a part that attaches in the same way the freehub does but is not freewheeling. This new part has threads on the outside to screw on freewheels and the short splines on the inside to engage the hub. I think this would be a relatively easy part to make...

My perception is that we do not need the freewheel function of the hub body because we are going to screw two ENO, or other type of, freewheels onto the hub and the two freewheels isolate each other.

If you want one freewheel and some cogs for a derailleur then this would not work.
Your thoughts please.

I think this would be a much more universal solution to the problem, and Im sure if someone made them ( but not at a stupid price ) people will buy them. I was going to have a crack at making my own when all the broaching of freewheels were being talked about but I never got round to it.

So I made something like the one from Japan:
FH265.jpg
FH259.jpg
View attachment 2
FH267.jpg
FH043.jpg
Started with a wasted freehub and a 1.5" aluminum rod. Ground off the splined part of the freehub to get at the races and inner part of the pals - and machined threads (my first threads on a lathe) and bored out to fit freehub innards.
Freehub innards press fit into aluminum, red loctite, and final screw of freehub race to secure.

I have a concern that I did not make the interference fit tight enough, .002 thou, and that the aluminum will spin on the steel freehub innards. The innards are a press fit and the end race that screws onto main part of the innards also pinches a boss I cut into the aluminum bore. What do you guys think?

Took ages to make - I am sure a trained machinist could make this thing in a half hour or so.

Thanks Brian,

briangv99 said:
What freewheel did you use for the inner freewheel? is it a Cyclone FW
There is no inner freewheel.
I used the innards of a freehub (took the freehub apart - ahh, well I destroyed the freehub to get the part that mates with the wheel hub) but no freewheel. What you see all turns with the wheel hub.
The freewheels are both screwed onto the visible threads.

I probably should have phrased that better, I realise there no FW inside the hub anymore, was more interested in what the FW below the ENO in the picture you posted is. Reason I ask is a regular ENO cannot be screwed through like yours.

Brian

Sorry, I missed that :roll:

It's the SickBikeParts.com standard freewheel:
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=34&osCsid=4e1p9fnfi77achtpph0bmfjo33

I am going to take my Dremel to the ENO and remove the obstruction, but also this will mean it's probably on for good because the removal dogs will also go.

Tarty Bikes http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/complete_freewheels/c16.html also has freewheels that clear like the Try-All 108.9 and others. I have one of these and will give it a try with the Big Cheese I have.

Any freewheel that will stand up and have the clearance can be adapted using the Dimension Big Cheese...if you can find one...I have been looking lately and there are none to be found. Or something like the Big Cheese can be made.

Anyone know if the ACS will work?

Back