Portland, OR: Meet and Greet...

mi7d1 said:
I too had a great time. At the event I was remorseful that I didn't bring my bike. Yesterday, I had my dog euthanized due to kidney failure he was 14 years old Pomeranian and haven't been in the mood for much of anything. Hopefully we can get together again sometime soon so that I can participate with the group.

2618563109_f1ec5d14a1_z.jpg

Bill

Sorry to hear about you dog, that's too bad, my condolences. :(

I too hope we can get together again soon, maybe do a bit of a ride this time, hopefully I will be "under-power" by then. :wink:

Was very cool to meet everyone. Hopefully we can do this in another month or two.. hopefully bring some other folk along too.
There just wasn't enough time to blabber on.

Bill - my condolences!

It was great to meet everyone and it was a relief that the weather cooperated.

We should plan on another event in the Spring and maybe organize some talks and performance events - maybe a hill climb to OHSU.

Tom

Nice to meet some of the folks here on the forum yesterday. I agree we should meet again in the spring, but in the meantime, the Oregon Electric Vehicle Association (http://www.oeva.org) meets every month at 7pm (on 2nd Thursday) in Portland at the World Trade Center downtown. Open to the public, meet and greet at 7pm followed by a meeting (sometimes includes presentations). You can park out of the rain and charging is available for free. Feel free to show up.

Phil

Yep, it was good to place a face along with an avatar and username! One of the things that struck me that was so interesting about the gathering, was that each of the rigs shown (and talked about) all had completely different systems on board, cool ! No one had the same bike or e-assist set ups. There were a couple of 9C's there, I think, but they were slightly different from each other. But everyone's overall set ups were different which simply shows the diversity and individual ingenuity of this gang, and it was great to talk about each system and see how it fit the needs of the owner.

I also think it would be great if we could hook up again sometime in the spring. It would give the other fellas that couldn't make it to show their faces and rigs, as well as give us a better chance to yak further about all things e-assist.

Bill, I guess the only thing I can think of that may serve as a good reminder, is that while your pal was here, he had a great friend and lived a wonderful life while sharing it with his human buddy. You did the honorable thing in helping him the way you did.

Tomas

Hey guys..
I forget the name of the chap who had the recumpence reduction drive but no bike.

I am interested to see how that project is going. Please PM me, reduction-drive-havin'-dude :)

neptronix said:
Hey guys..
I forget the name of the chap who had the recumpence reduction drive but no bike.

I am interested to see how that project is going. Please PM me, reduction-drive-havin'-dude :)

I believe that would be Greg http://endless-sphere.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=7297

Bill

Like I said before, it was great to meet all the folks who were there, except, dang it , Phil,,,, here I pester you to come on down and you make it,,, and then I don't get to yak with you! My fault entirely. I got into downtown Portland around 12:45 then decided to take the street car to the PSU campus, no problem me thinks. Well, on the way south the street car doesn't really stop by the campus but does on the return trip, so I decide to catch it on the way back. Big mistake. I don't get to the PSU building until 1:55. I sure did get to see a lot of Portland I haven't really seen before by trolley.

I'll try to remind myself to go the next OEVA meeting to catch up with you and we can talk Twike!

Tom

No problem Tom. I should have the replacement BMS board(s) from Germany by then and fresh battery cells (560 cells) in my Twike so I can drive it downtown no problem. I live on the Westside so I do have to deal with the "big" hill. Great for regen into Portland, but not so great when you have to climb a 1200 foot hill on the way home at night with 15 year old NiCd cells putting out 40% of their original capacity. It was fun to talk to the folks that were there. I encourage folks to come to the OEVA meetings once in a while. Electric bikes are the electric vehicle of choice for many folks and we welcome anyone to our meetings. 2nd Thursday of every month at 7pm in Downtown Portland at the World Trade Center. You do not have to be a member to come to a meeting. See www.oeva.org for more details.

Phil

Posted on BikePortland.org Feb 22, 2011

http://bikeportland.org/2011/02/22/psu-looking-for-e-bike-owners-for-research-project-48345

Here's some text from a flyer to recruit interview subjects:

Have you purchased an electric bicycle? or converted your bike to electric-assist? What compelled you to purchase one and what do you use it for? Portland State University is researching e-bikes and is looking for people to interview to tell us about their experiences.

Thanks for the link.. participating for sure.

We gonna do another one of these soon? :)

PSU Earth Day Event - Park Blocks, Friday, April 22; 11am-4pm.

More info coming; will need someone to man a table for the duration of the event.

Will post a separate thread this afternoon with more details.

Thanks to Sun Coaster for making this happen, I'll be there, and I can bring a demo geared and direct drive hub motor for display as well as a bike. This is an excellent chance to get momentum for ebikes!

Greenerwheels

I'd be happy to bring my velomobile. I have an invitation to attend an Earth Day event up around Seattle but the PSU event is easier to do on a work day.

Sun Coaster, please post the link to the new Earth Day topic post

As of last week, my Twike is back on the road with new battery cells and more range than it has ever had (boosted cell capacity by >30%). I'm waiting for a firmware update to get the on-board computer to register the full range but I should be able to get 35 or 40 miles of range with a single charge. I'll bring it to the next Portland area event. I've done 40+ miles in a day with a quick charge in the middle. I'm not going to push my range until I get the new firmware and I'm more confident in the battery packs.

Phil

webfootguy said:
As of last week, my Twike is back on the road... <snip>

Phil

Phil, would you be able to bring your Twike by Portland International Raceway (PIR) on Memorial Day weekend (May 28-29th). Many of us at OHPV and in the HPV world would enjoy seeing it. Might be a few other veolomobiles showing up. I'm debating on whether I bring mine or not.

Bill

I can bring it by (and this time I can drive it there rather than trailer it :) ). Do you have a schedule for the weekend? What day should I pick (Sat or Sun?)

Phil

Saturday is the bigger of the two days in my opinion. Gates open at ~8:00am. First race last year began around 11:00am. I looked for a race schedule for this year but it has yet to be posted. The HPC is in less than two weeks and the website isn't finished, Wow! Looking forward to seeing your Twike

Bill

[BURP]

Portland State launches online survey to study e-bike use in North America:
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/nort...y-study-e-bike-use-north-america#.WQQcfty1u1g

Starts:
PORTLAND, Ore. (BRAIN) — Four years after its pioneering survey of e-bike riders in North America, Portland State University has launched a second online survey to gauge how the market is maturing.

"We want to see how things have changed," said John MacArthur, sustainable transportation program manager at the university. "We feel that the market has significantly grown, more people have purchased them and they're more in the general zeitgeist."

Includes:
The 2013 survey attracted some 550 respondents, and MacArthur said he is hoping for at least 2,000 with the new survey. PeopleForBikes, the Bicycle Product Suppliers Association, e-bike brands and retailers are helping spread the word about the survey through their websites, social media accounts, email lists and other means.

[BURP]

ps... :mrgreen:

Back