using auto cad to design battery boxes

auraslip

10 MW
So this time around I want to use auto cad or inventor to proof build my next battery box. I've downloaded both programs, but have no idea where to start.

Does anyone have any bike frames that I can change to match the geometry of my current frame? I'm going on vacation with my, so I'll have plenty of time to play around with my laptop.
I'm %100 new to this, so any help would be great.

I am looking into this as well.
I am currently running SolidWorks (modeling software) and I am talking to 3D scanning companies regarding getting my bike scanned and converted to IGS files. I can then create everything around that as needed.

Still waiting on costs. I don't think it will be cheap though.
If you are going to tackle this, scanning is the easiest way to go as it would be a PITA to try and measure and reproduce the geometry with a pair of calipers :mrgreen:

good luck.

I have some expirience with cad drawing. (started on AutoCad v1.3).
Nothing will teach you to draw like yourself. Buy a good book and draw your frame alone. If somebody scan or probe your frame you will never be able to draw battery box. The frame is much more simpler to draw the battery box. So, sit down and draw.

I've been using AutoCAD for around 25 years and still can't use some of the functionality. All CAD packages take a fair time to learn to use, AutoCAD longer than most as it doesn't have the best interface in the world. I have a copy of Solidworks which was far easier to pick up than AutoCAD, but Rhinoceros seems easier still. If I ever need to do any 3D stuff I tend to now do it in Rhino, because Rhino seems to me to have a more intuitive interface. Mind you, coming from an AutoCAD background EVERYTHING seems to have a more intuitive interface..............

Jeremy

You right, Jeremy. Rhino is one of the simplest programs to start with. I would say take any of the programs available but stick to it. I have swithced from autocad to solidworks then to catia and then to ProE. Each time was like starting all over again. Drawnig logic is the same but you have to learn where is what in the menues (or memorise commands). Only ProE have reverse logic so it not only feels like you starting all over again you have to forget what you have learned before. It took me the longest to switch to proE, allmost a year.

You could make 10 battery box's in the time it takes to learn a CAD package,

Scissors, tape & cardboard pattern is the quickest and easiest method.

But , if you want to learn CAD, then a battery box is a good starter project.
.. ( but , if you are smart, you will still end up making a cardboard model from it before cutting metal !)

Hillhater said:
You could make 10 battery box's in the time it takes to learn a CAD package,

Scissors, tape & cardboard pattern is the quickest and easiest method.

But , if you want to learn CAD, then a battery box is a good starter project.
.. ( but , if you are smart, you will still end up making a cardboard model from it before cutting metal !)

Are, the true CAD method

(Cardboard Aided Design)

Jeremy

Hello auraslip

i designed my battery box with Google SketchUP and then exported to the dwg format.

81_Alu_BatteryBox_Design_SketchUP.jpg

Hi there, I'm a building designer and use autocad 2010lt. Spend around 40 hrs a week drawing. If you want to get a frame built then cad is the program to use as you can produce shop drawings to make it!! For con conceptual stuff greyborg is right use sketchup!! Far easier and they have you tube tutorials!!

Cheers damon

I also spend 30+ hours a week using CAD (Soildworks). The best advice anyone ever gave me and that I can ever give someone who is trying to learn is to get a hold of someone else's files with the build history. Back up the history to where they began and see what they did, why they did it, what order, etc. Doing this with more and more complex files is the best way to learn all the tricks and intricacies involved in doing any complex CAD.

I knew several CAD packages before advancing on AutoCAD, starting with Version 2.5. The R9 edition was my first purchase. After 1986 when I launched my present consulting company, ACAD projects became my bread & butter. With Sausalito only an hour away, we had a pretty good support group to lean on.

The fastest way to ramp up after learning the basics is to pick two commands a week and master them. Repeat each week, after week. :wink:

If you are just fiddling about and wanting to make a simple project – forget about ACAD and just use AutoCAD-Lite which I believe could be a free download and it is vastly easier to use. That’s if yer committed to Autodesk products. However I think there are better tools out there. Personally, I know ACAD like the back of my hand and that’s what I use for all accurate drawings and models.

Shortcut to modeling your bike:
Take a picture of it from far away to reduce the lensing distortions but in high-enough resolution that you still get a good shot. Naturally the frame should be perpendicular as much as possible to the viewing plane. Also place a tape measure in the shot for linear reference. Or have the frame against cardboard with a grid drawn on it with known measurements so you can scale it correctly when you bring the image into ACAD or whatever.

Anyways, that’s how I got started. :)
Best of luck, KF

Back