Motorcycles and E-scooters in China

sk8norcal

1 MW
check out these video blogs from a South African living in shenzhen, China..
http://www.youtube.com/user/serpentza
in one of his video, he mentions that there is a 125cc limit on scooters and are banned in major cities ??
not sure the reason...

[youtube]5l1DPrIr5m8[/youtube]

"ebikes have to be on the sidewalk, its the law" :?:
[youtube]6pY5pzF_gJs[/youtube]
[youtube]d7-Mv5c7r4U[/youtube]
[youtube]qw6sS2Vbn-0[/youtube]

Shot at the intersection of two busy thoroughfares in Wuxi, Jiangsu, China, between change of traffic signals. We can see that about 80% of the two-wheeled vehicles on the roads of a typical eastern Chinese city today are electric bikes. The rest are bicycles, motorbikes are rare as they are banned by the municipal government.

banned?
anyone know the story behind this?

[youtube]uDbp7cJHwZE[/youtube]

Aloha, way cool videos. Great to see what is happening in other parts of the world.
Francis

He said that bike was 2800 RMB which, using his figure of 7 RMB per USD, that's 400 US dollars. That's not too shabby... (It seems like we pay that much just for kits without batteries). :roll:

Amazing video's! But their infrastructure is a nightmare! I am just waiting for someone to get killed in that video any second! That second video ride was just insane! No one wears a helmet! (I have seen 1 guy wear a helmet.) And those prices! Here in Holland you pay around €2800,- and more for an electric scooter. And you may only ride it after you get a theoretical and practical exam. And you need a helmet on the 45 kph versions, insurance and a license plate.

I really wished they banned all ice type scooters here as well. But that is impossible to say the least. Here the Communist Party of China (CPC) under a single-party system really works out! :D

China is the land of the ebike/escooter! In terma of adoption they put western countries to shame. The economics of a escotter there work out really well. If you can accept tyhe quality standardas of Chinese manufacturers then Chinese ebikes are a gret deal. I bought a 48V ebike in Beijing last summer for 1600 RMB (that's $235) and rode the snot out of it for months. Then I sold it for 1300 RMB! That bike was SSOOO convenient - especially considering how hot it was during the day. The quality was a bit off though: bearing in bottom bracket started going out, light bulb out too soon, battery box cracked and it's carrying handle fell off. Aside from that it was perfectly fine.

Oh, yeah. I priced a hub motor "I guess it was about a 500-700 W motor) at 500 RMB ($73) and that was the retail price for a foreigner.

mclovin said:
China is the land of the ebike/escooter! In terma of adoption they put western countries to shame.

but according to that link I posted,
this is govt backed forced adoption,
and it seems like the main purpose of the gas scooter ban is to force the migrant workers out of the major cities... and keep the main roads for cars..

and the range got to be very poor with those lead acid batteries..

I do not think that is going to work. Most will just switch over to electric. They will find a way to keep working in the city. If only e-scooters are allowed my bet is it's going to full with them in no-time. And range will be no problem with some lithium batteries and faster charging. But the ban was back in 2007 no? How is the situation today?

In this video he talks about a loophole in the law. They take these orange 3 wheeled scooters who are meant for disabled people and turn them into taxi's. These are ICE powered obviously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSxfczdJYfc#t=6m27s

Really interesting video's about China.

sk8norcal said:
mclovin said:
China is the land of the ebike/escooter! In terma of adoption they put western countries to shame.

but according to that link I posted,
this is govt backed forced adoption,
and it seems like the main purpose of the gas scooter ban is to force the migrant workers out of the major cities... and keep the main roads for cars..

and the range got to be very poor with those lead acid batteries..

UUhh, it was just a comment.

That said said, people there are very happy to buy an ebike (if they can afford one) all on their own. Even if they own a car it is quite possible they have an ebike as well. I don't know that anyone has forced them. When I sold my ebike in Beijing the guy who bought it was not forced.

sk8norcal said:
this is amazing footage...

That IS amazing. The police could have a lot of fun with these guys. A few decoy women on the street with bags containing explosive devices. The bag gets snatched, they hit the remote-control detonator...
:twisted:
LocK

mclovin said:
That said said, people there are very happy to buy an ebike (if they can afford one) all on their own. Even if they own a car it is quite possible they have an ebike as well. I don't know that anyone has forced them. When I sold my ebike in Beijing the guy who bought it was not forced.

I guess "forced" is not the right word... :)

but when your only option for two wheels is electric and gas is banned...

"strongly encouraged".... :|

Taiwan's adoption of e-scooters would be interesting to see,
the e-scooters have to compete against their gas counterparts...
Taiwan's compactness makes the range problem less of an issue..

serpentza 60v upgrade speed test,

Hi, I would suggest a 60v, that is what I have and it is the most powerful and has the most range, yes you can modify them to run very fast, I have another e-bike (you can see my other videos) that can go 80km/h The batteries usually last about a year and a half, and when you replace them, you can trade in your old ones and get a discount :)

[youtube]T0zoIXwojCM[/youtube]

[youtube]v6T-68nXlGQ[/youtube]

Back