Commuter Booster - <1kg Friction Drive

adrian_sm said:
I think I am more worried about infringing on John's (Kepler's) design.

There are heaps of differences between mine and the other "hidden" design
Theirs has a one way bearing, mine mechanical disengages
Theirs has an in-runner motor mounted infront of the tube, mine an out runner behind
Theirs has belt drive with reduction, mine direct contact.
Mine uses rotational inertia reaction to engage the tyre, theirs remains in contact

The main common ground is the pivot mounted to the seat-tube, but I can't see that being an individual claim in the patent.

I think I am clear.
I think I needed more of these ... :p or these ... :lol: Pity we don't have a sh!t stirring icon

Perhaps you were looking for one of these
images

Google my friend google. :D

Quick google image search, right click, "copy image location", then paste inbetween the [ i m g ] [ / i m g ] things.

Done.

spinningmagnets said:
Motors: the 63mm Turnigy with a skirt bearing and a 200-kV is proving to be popular, but keep in mind that before rushing into that one, Kepler is testing the similar 63mm Aeolian motor with a 170-kV, results to be posted soon.

Should have this motor in a few days. I hope its as good as the Hobby City version. Its about $10.00 less landed then the Hobby City 63-74 so thats a bonus too. I think the 170kv will suit 6S very nicely with the 63mm diam. I plan to package it up with a single Turnigy 6S 5800 mah pack. This will give about 30% better range then a 5S 5000mah pack.

Kepler said:
I decided to get serious and went to a 40 grit belt sander material. Works a treat and hardly wears. Also gives great tire traction and as long as the drive doesn't slip, causes no major wear on the tire. :twisted: :evil:

It is quite thick and stiff though. Not many of the double sided tapes will cut it and also they tend to add too much diameter to the drive especially with the heavy duty belt sander material. For this the Uglue works a treat. For those who havent used it before, its kind of like double sided tape except it lays down a layer of glue suspended in a gell like material. Its nice and thin and has twice the holding power of double sided tape. Plus its water proof. Its a US product but Jaycar stock it so its easy to get.

Give that a go and problem will be solved.

I tried the Uglue, but in a moment of delusion decided to just secure the start and end of the belt sander material to the motor housing. Then on my test ride I quickly learnt that you can't rely on the shear strength of Uglue. :roll:
And that the location of my drive makes it difficult to get a good on-road video. :(

Here is the video. I jsut threw the drive on the bike, didn't really optimise engagement or anything, just to take it for a quick spin. When you start hearing a weird flapping sound you may be able to notice that the grip material is bulging away from the motor. Not cool.

I am going to try a contact adhesive next time. Much cheaper, water clean-up, suitable for constant wet exposure, temps up to 130C from memeory. Should be enough.

[youtube]Sy7xtOJKa8E[/youtube]

Kepler said:
spinningmagnets said:
Kepler is testing the similar 63mm Aeolian motor with a 170-kV, results to be posted soon.
Should have this motor in a few days. I hope its as good as the Hobby City version. Its about $10.00 less landed then the Hobby City 63-74 so thats a bonus too. I think the 170kv will suit 6S very nicely with the 63mm diam. I plan to package it up with a single Turnigy 6S 5800 mah pack. This will give about 30% better range then a 5S 5000mah pack.

Did you get the motor? Would be keen to hear you impressions.

Still need to drop around and catch-up sometime. Free this weekend?

- Adrian

Thanks. I had the wrong privacy settings.

Should work now.

- Adrian

adrian_sm said:
Kepler said:
spinningmagnets said:
Kepler is testing the similar 63mm Aeolian motor with a 170-kV, results to be posted soon.

Did you get the motor? Would be keen to hear you impressions.

Still need to drop around and catch-up sometime. Free this weekend?

- Adrian
Only ordered the motor 10 days ago using standard post. Hopefully see it next week.

I should be free on the weekend for a catchup and show and tell session :). I have a couple of versions of the interface setup on different bike types including a setup using 6S on a 700C commuter. We have now managed to keep really good control over the 200Kv 63-74 motor at the higher voltage. I am keen for you to test ride and give some feedback. :) I am sure there are a few people who would like to hear how it performs from an independent source.

Good news is that we are doing a version of the interface especially for the project RC style friction drives out there rather then trying to adapt the interface designed specifically eboost. We came to the realization that the eboost interface was too drive specific for the project drive builder and as such wouldnt be a good match in most cases.

Here's a model of what it will look like. Size is 50mm x 50mm x 20mm and resembles an RC receiver.

i am envious of the weather you have over there adrian. right now, i got another winter snowstorm rolling through my area.
the drive looks good. i love how the turnigy motors sound, the exceed i have doesnt sound as cool.

kepler, would that interface be a direct plug-and-play for these rc friction drive systems? would all the wires go into that box to power the servo tester or thottle and esc? it would be interesting to see one for these FD bike setups.

Kepler,

In trying to search for the alternate 6374-170kv motor while ES was off-line, I stumbled across both the one you bought (I think) plus another at a similar price.

Here are the links to the new ones:
Aeolian-Brushless-Motor-C6374-KV170
Is this the one, because it looks short with a length of 74 or 94mm (what measurements these are is unclear), but weight looks right at 950g.
Hang on... the manufacturers website is clearer. Looks very similar in size to the HXT 63-74 200kv.

Leadershobby.com - Outrunner brushless silver blue C6374-170KV
This is a new one, but looks short at 74mm motor length, and light at 790g.

Plus the HobbyKing ones for reference:
HXT 63-74 200kv Brushless Outrunner
My motor. 65mm can length, 92mm motor length, 900g. But 200kv.

TGY AerodriveXp SK Series 63-74 170Kv
The no skirt bearing, "higher quality" option @ 170kv
63mm can length, 75mm motor length, 840g.

Mainly just putting these links here so I don't lose them, but others might find them useful.

- Adrian

def215 said:
i am envious of the weather you have over there adrian. right now, i got another winter snowstorm rolling through my area.
the drive looks good. i love how the turnigy motors sound, the exceed i have doesnt sound as cool.

kepler, would that interface be a direct plug-and-play for these rc friction drive systems? would all the wires go into that box to power the servo tester or thottle and esc? it would be interesting to see one for these FD bike setups.

It will be basically plug and play. Just would need to input things like wheel diameter, battery voltage, required power output. The ESC plugs straight into the interface and the interface then controls the ESC output. No servo tester required. :) Need to mention that the all testing has been done with K-force 85A and K-Force 100A escs to date.

def215 said:

@def215
Don't know if the weather is the best for this country at the moment. Pretty horrendous floods up north, quiet a few dead, heaps of people lost everything, will takes ages to get anything resembling normality back to these peoples lives. Now the floods are starting to impact my state, as the water travels south. Hopefully shouldn't be a problem for Melbourne itself. Fingers crossed. This also means we have been getting some of the edge of those rain storms, so it was pretty wet all last week riding in. I don't mind riding in the rain so much, but there is something about putting on wet clothes for the return trip that I hate. :x

Still a truck load better that snow storms for ebikes. :D

As for seeing one of the FD bikes. Unless you are in town, or want to buy one of Keplers kits, you may just have to let the photos satisfy you for now.

You can get the latest pics of it installed on my road bike here for the road bike with a close-up a few posts down, or here for the MTB.
This post should give you a good idea ofa ll the parts that make the drive.

Hope that helps find some of what you are looking for in a pretty long thread.

- Adrian

Kepler said:
It will be basically plug and play. Just would need to input things like wheel diameter, battery voltage, required power output. The ESC plugs straight into the interface and the interface then controls the ESC output. No servo tester required. :) Need to mention that the all testing has been done with K-force 85A and K-Force 100A escs to date.

You can tell me to bugger off if it is too early but....

What throttle types does it support?
And more importantly what is your prefered type on drop-bars once you limit the power to legal@200W or sensible@1000W.

- Adrian

adrian_sm said:
Kepler said:

You can tell me to bugger off if it is too early but....

What throttle types does it support?
And more importantly what is your prefered type on drop-bars once you limit the power to legal@200W or sensible@1000W.

- Adrian
Supports button throttle only. Any push button will work so its nice an easy to adapt to any type of handle bars. For those who may not have picked this up in earlier posts, this is a not a simple on/off button throttle. Basically when the button is pushed, the interface matches the throttle % to the bike speed. Pulse press the button to increase speed. Release the button and the drive shuts down. (set to 0.6 of a second).

Interface has two pre set power profiles, Aus legal 200W and US legal 750W. Of cause a bit of custom programming can set the power profile to what ever suits your drive :)

Another really nice feature is the soft shut off feature. Variable geometry friction drives tend to slam into their end stops especially when shutting off. The soft shut off feature ramps the motor down in controlled manor and smooths out the disengagement action.

And yes, the Turnigy 85A is the same as K-Force.

That is sounding awesome.

How's Saturday morning sound for that mutual show'n'tell so I can experience this little bit of wizardry, and you experience flashbacks when looking at where I am at in my FD development?

If you little device is reasonable, I can't see it being worth my time to bother modding my little $25 watt meter to do something similar. But it still appeals for some reason. Maybe because the hardware is cheap, has a display, extra IOs to play with, and can now be remotely mounted as I see you have also done.

BTW I highly recommend the little toggle on/off switch I used from JayCar. Fits with minor trimming of the legs, and a bit of dremel work to the watt-meter enclosure. And looks it was meant to be there, rather than an afterthought.
JayCar - $2 - SPST Ultra Mini Rocker Switch
product_4424.jpg

file.php

Damn I wish JayCar also stocked some appropriate black multi-core cable, instead of the white I had to use.

- Adrian

Back