Your Creation's Before & After Pics

This is P0: My 19 year old Specialized Rockhopper MtB that I use for… well let’s just say it is my primary mode of travel. :mrgreen:

Before: The previous configuration as of late June 2010 just before the summer road trip sporting a full compliment of batteries (15S12P) is shown below. After that long arduous ride I removed 1/3 the batteries which aside from hauling less weight made for some really nice long distance commuting experiences at WOT (15S8P).

P0-modified-side.jpg

However, as Old Man Winter arrived the FWD would slip in the rain. The Ortlieb bags were also beginning to look pretty tired. Still… this was a very striking configuration that attracted the friendliest attention from all sorts. :wink:

After: This is the present configuration after completing the Epic Battery Bag project. Actually I still have a few minor details to wrap up; I’ll update the post if I add some of the lighting ideas from the LED Lighting: Accent Coloring thread.

Fox-Mounting10.jpg

Key features/changes:
  • Batteries moved forward (15S6P) and into a new home-built saddlebag
  • New HP-LED Cree headlights
  • All lighting now integrated via DC-DC converter
  • Mounted the Schwalbe Marathon Winters (studded tires) at both front and rear
  • Reorganized wiring harness and added a charging plug that can double as an extension for rear batteries (hidden from view).

Although not as trick-looking, the bike does handle a lot better :D

Note: FWIW - no, the image is not goofed up; the secret urban bat cave received a new coat of ZOMBIE repellant last month: Ghoul Green is so in vogue this time of year...
Enjoy, KF

Well, It's raining in 'sunny' California and I don't feel like working in the shop, so I'd thought I post some pics of my bike.

This is the before, 36v/7ah sla/gm motor on a cheap walmart bike. It was the beginning of my troubles :wink: . Don't you love the way I mounted the batteries? Even though I made metal brackets, it was amazing they never fell off.

001-1.jpg

Here is the after :mrgreen: . It's an Electra Townie 21 running a BMC-S @ 22s lipo (18s/3p main with 4s/2p aux. battery)

DSC01243.jpg

DSC01242.jpg

I think I have enough pics to make a build thread of the Townie.

Did that Townie come with those front forks? Looks like a serious high speed machine. What is your top speed?

ADDENDUM:

Had to make a mad dash into Seattle yesterday. I knew I would be hitting against big wind, & combine that with my love for WOT, well…

Strapped on another 15S4P in the trunk bag. That Novara is shite for strapping down to a rear rack; I got the idea of using the inner tube a while back; nothing moves with that sort of tension. Anyway – here’s two views of this variation of my Winter theme.

EDIT: Typo; is now Novara.

P0-Dec2010-15S10P-Side.jpg

P0-Dec2010-15S10P-IsoRear.jpg

Total capacity is 15S10P. Went nearly 50 miles in a windstorm with hills in hateful Hexmas traffic, much of it at WOT, and burned through about 2/3’s of the pack. Naturally I prefer the weight down low like for a pannier, however the bike handled corners well enough.

Stats for yesterday's route:
Code:
27.8 Ah       45 miles
1662.4 W-hr   36.3 Wh/mi
29.5 Amax   44.2 MaxS   23.6 AveS
Duration: 1:53:50s

Ready for bear, KF

dbaker said:
Did that Townie come with those front forks? Looks like a serious high speed machine. What is your top speed?

No, I got them off of pinkbike. Hot off the charger it will go 40 mph.

Check out my build thread if you have the time.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23701

Now that it's winter, I've upgraded my front brake from a V-brake to a Sturmey Archer drum and slapped on some Nokian Hakkapellitta's. Now my baby's ready for whatever Mother Nature throws at it.

img_1369-1.jpg

img_1368-1.jpg

img_1367-1.jpg

Nice work nicobie that's one sweet looking ride.

The seat is is further to the rear creating a more comfortable riding geometry.
Handlebars have been raised, further enhancing this "cruiser" effect.
And of course, mounting the batts in the frame is a major upgrade.
I quite like those Electra Townie frames.
It must be great to ride. 40 mph is 64kph, nice.

Hi
I don't have any before of my latest creation, it still is not finnished yet but i thought i would post a pic.
moutain folder 4.jpg

It started out as a moutain folder fully sprung, I changed the forks for strength. The headset was changed to one you could alter the angle of and set it as high as it would go to that I changed the flat bars to a set of BMX bars this gave me a very upright riding position the reason for this was to copy the way my namesake likes his bikes Father of the English Moutain Bike
cleland06-bars.jpg
I like a nice ride so I fitted a wide comfort saddle well sprung. For power there is 1kwh of lipos (20S3P configuration) in the rear bag without a trangle I had to put them there, i have a 9 Continents in the rear and a PUMA up front(at the moment the PUMA is not connected due to not haveing a controller avalible).
as soon as the snow hit the UK I swaped my normal tyres for a set of NOKIA extreme studded tyres I had orded last year when we had a fall of snow, as a result of having these tyres on i have been going in and out of town shopping with no problem, I just get frozen with the wind chill, the bike is safe in town as i leave it at my LBS.

Geoff

Hi
Thanks it still has a bit of work to do on it.
I have to fit a cycle analyst, speed computer and a good set of lights. The front Has magura hydraulic rim brakes but the back are V-brakes I am either going to fit a set of maguras to the back or make a custom torque with a disk brake mount one way or another I need better stopping power.

Geoff

longbike1.jpg

Before: a couple of junked bicycles, a men's 26" mtb and a child's 20" mtb.

longtail_complete.JPG

After: an extended wheel base cargo bike inspired by the Xtracycle.

Features: A dual speed crystalyte 407/409 in 20" rear wheel yielding decent torque for heavy loads. Battery 16s x 2p of Headyway 38120S 10 ah cells for a nominal 48 volt 20 ah pack. Controller and connections enclosed in box to give all weather protection. Cargo racks and battery mounts are removable. Batteries are secured by padlocked hasp. Although bike is heavy, handling is sound due to good weight distribution.

longtail_complete.JPG
SpeedEBikes said:
An extended wheel base cargo bike inspired by the Xtracycle.

Features: A dual speed crystalyte 407/409 in 20" rear wheel yielding decent torque for heavy loads. Battery 16s x 2p of Headyway 38120S 10 ah cells for a nominal 48 volt 20 ah pack. Controller and connections enclosed in box to give all weather protection. Cargo racks and battery mounts are removable. Batteries are secured by padlocked hasp. Although bike is heavy, handling is sound due to good weight distribution.
Nice build from scrap bikes! :mrgreen:

Did you take enough pics during your construction to do a build thread? It would be interesting to see a lot of pics documenting the bike's wheelbase extension & removable rack build. :wink:

I would love to see and appreciate your craftsmanship doing those parts of the build. :twisted:

deVries, I did take enough pictures for a build thread. But unfortunately I put most of them on a laptop that was stolen soon afterwards. But the process was very low tech, cut up frames with angle grinder and cutoff disc, miter & shape with angle grinder and grinding disc, strip metal bare with angle grinder and wire wheel. There was a lot of iteration in the grinding to shape and test fitting of parts. The only high tech bit was I have a good TIG welder.

I still have a few shots though...

View attachment 2
Bare frame before powder coating.

View attachment 1
Painted frame prior to reassembling bike.

Curing powder coat on some parts.

Attachments

• bare frame.JPG
    bare frame.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 1,312
  • painted frame.JPG
    painted frame.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 1,528
  • curing parts.JPG
    curing parts.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,312
dingotookmybaby said:
2008 Malvern Star normally retail at $399 bought for 55 dollarView attachment 1

plywood battery box, will have alloy side covers and saddle bags

Dingtookmybaby, do you have any problems with your hub mounted in the front shock? Any torque arm used? Thanks!

Lamdog said:
Dingtookmybaby, do you have any problems with your hub mounted in the front shock? Any torque arm used? Thanks!

G'day Lambdog,
No there are no problems with this set-up, it gives a nicer ride than a rigid front fork, a chunky rear tyre and seat post damper gives the rear a softer ride, the front hub and low mount batteries makes it a very good handler, torque arms would be a must unless using low power good fitting washers and slow take offs, I wouldn't like to risk the axle spinning within the dropouts with possible shearing and maybe loose the front wheel
mark

Here's my tadpole trike and the BoB trailer I installed a crystalyte front wheel hub (laced into a 16" wheel) I mounted the 36V battery case onto the trailer bedBob E Yak 004.JPGBob E Yak 010.JPG

bctriker said:
Here's my tadpole trike and the BoB trailer I installed a crystalyte front wheel hub (laced into a 16" wheel) I mounted the 36V battery case onto the trailer bed
Hi
I had a go at electrifying my bob trailer it was the one with a green box not been made for a long time now, I never got it to work right glad you have.
On a different subject does the front wind shield help much I was thinking of fitting one th my trike but have not yet.

Geoff

Bctriker, beautiful looking rig. Have you used it much? I'm curious as to how well it is working out. I had considered doing something similar but have yet to do so.

My first concern was that with a trike that can't lean into corners a single wheeled trailer like a Bob would contribute to the tipping force on the trike and force slower cornering to avoid rollover. The second issue is that with a Crystalyte in a small wheel I'd expect good torque and acceleration, but only if the wheel stays planted. And this relates to the first issue in that to keep the rear wheel planted there needs to be sufficient weight in the trailer. But I expect the more weight in the trailer the more tippy the trike becomes.

I was 'leaning' toward the idea of a two wheel pusher trailer, expecting better stability. The concern there though would be that only driving a single wheel might cause some imbalance and perhaps affect the tracking of the trailer or the steering of the trike.

I've been reading this forum for a while and finally decided to post my ride. It's a Schwinn Riverside with an Aotema kit from HighTekBikes. Here in San Diego I get to ride year round but I mainly use it to commute to work.

I've got a pair of Willie & Max motorcycle saddlebags on it to give me a little storage space and hold 36v 15ah of LiFePO battery. I found some strap-on water bottle mounts that work great to attach the controller. I also shortened the brake/shifter cables and added a bullet headlight.

Next up will be to build something for the wife...

1165118068_BwjoL-M.jpg

1165118610_Prb8u-M.jpg

1165117848_W6yDT-M.jpg

Nicely done csakanai; very stylish ~ like it was meant to be :wink:

How many batteries can you fit in your saddle bags?

Duly impressed, KF

Thanks KF. The battery only fills about half of one bag so I might be able to squeeze close to 60ah if I used both of them. It would weight a lot, but it might still be better than the 12ah of lead I used to have in there. They have an inner structure made of corrugated plastic so they're fairly strong.

Hello , my name is Francois Gagnon, im owner of Committed mountain cycles, and last year i participated to the build of my first electric bike , by request of a customer( i build bicyle frames) and the result was quite awesome , i plan to redo it again this year
cheers
p4pb5532591.jpg

p4pb5739691.jpg

Hello doctorz,

I think i already know you!.... right

hall sonsor repair? :mrgreen: :wink:

Doc

Back