Hobbykings new 5000mAh hardcase LiPos

Nice one, It's only have 4S cells and it would be nice to have 5s or 6s hardcase as protected as if drop or hit by any object without hurt LiPo cells. You could make a 8S pack if your charger support 8S balancer.

Might be harder to observe a puffy cell, or do surgery.

Awesome. Everyday I wish my lipo were hardcase.....but yeah 5s, 6s, 8s would be nice too.

Ps - the price gets lower, from $22.59 to $21.38 if you wait a few min

Wow that's freaking cheap!

I love hobbycity!

That is one of the harder problems to solve when mounting a ton of LiPo. They've solved the problem and practically not charged you for it... Awesome.

~30c/Wh ......wtf.....

It's cheaper than Thundersky. It's cheaper than Headways.

The future of EVs looks so bright, my smiley's gotta wear shades. 8)

and it can only go lower from here. :shock:

To put it in perspective, this is the same price I payed for used Konion cells in makita drill packs only a year ago...

Just as an FYI, I tried to buy in lots of 15, but it won't let you ship by air-parcel for LiPo amounts over 75Ah total, which means you're either limited to 3packs an order with air parcel shipping, or if you go EMS express (which costs about $10-20 more), you can ship up to 11packs at a time, but it leaves ~400grams of unused shipping weight, so going to 10packs at a time for 19grams unused shipping weight with EMS express works out to be the optimization for folks looking to buy a large amount of the packs.

This ends up just ducking $0.41/watt-hour shipped to your door.

This actually makes it cheaper than lead for usable watt-hours per dollar shipped to your door.

Lead = Dead. I piss on it's grave.

So, with this deal, every 10 packs you buy will be $303 shipped to your door, and will be 740watt-hours. So, for the competent DIY folks interested in a useful range Ebike, it's under $909usd to have 2.2kw-hr of batteries shipped to your door. If wisely use the remaining $81 on wire, shrink, connectors, JST plugs, etc, for $1,000usd and a day of assembling, you can have the 2.2kw-hr ebike pack of your dreams.

I'm going to buy a few dozen of these packs (because I know they will sell-out soon), I just hope they aren't cheap because they are from a shitty run of cells or something lame. I haven't bought a bad-cell yet from Hobbycity, and I think it's because I normally buy the premium stuff only, so I guess this will be a taste of what the non-premium cells are like.

I have 60 of these packs coming, which isn't even 2 grand. :)

Combined with my current pack, if I can fit it all on the same bike, I will be rolling with 6.4kw-hrs. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

This will let me have 100mile range bicycle while riding at an aggressive 64watt-hours per mile.
That would be a pretty nice little commuter/touring bike.

I'm thinking something silent, relaxed, and reliable. Maybe a hard-tail bike modified to hold a mark-cycle hubmotor, a monster Kelly-controller, and pannier bags that stow all the LiPo, and an on-board charger setup that can toggle between 1200watt charging or 5,000watt charging depending if I can get 110vac or 220vac.

Keep in mind, that will NOT be a motorcycle. That is a bicycle. It will have pedals and look like a totally normal bicycle with pannier bags in the back. It will just have a little more peppy acceleration and stamina than some ebikes. ;)

As soon as my damn Paypal account confirms Arrggh! It's 15s baby. Put about 27 lbs. of lead where it belongs. Hooked to my solar panels :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

liveforphysics said:

Combined with my current pack, if I can fit it all on the same bike, I will be rolling with 6.4kw-hrs. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

This will let me have 100mile range bicycle while riding at an aggressive 64watt-hours per mile.

I'm thinking something silent, relaxed, and reliable. Maybe a hard-tail bike modified to hold a mark-cycle hubmotor, a monster Kelly-controller, and pannier bags that stow all the LiPo, and an on-board charger setup that can toggle between 1200watt charging or 5,000watt charging depending if I can get 110vac or 220vac.

Keep in mind, that will NOT be a motorcycle. That is a bicycle. It will have pedals and look like a totally normal bicycle with pannier bags in the back. It will just have a little more peppy acceleration and stamina than some ebikes. ;)

I didn't think that my 4.7kW-h would get upstaged so soon :shock: :twisted: :twisted:

P.S. Frock motor? Really? Methods is a bad influence on you.... 8)

torker said:
As soon as my damn Paypal account confirms Arrggh! It's 15s baby. Put about 27 lbs. of lead where it belongs. Hooked to my solar panels :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

you still can't quite beat the $0.09/Wh of lead, for stationary applications, not the mention the shelf life.

johnrobholmes said:
Yeah, really. Where is the hook!

It could be that HobbyKing has found a way to finally sell all the packs that they have that perform up to spec electrically ... but just don't look good aesthetically (ie. slightly swollen, or blistered). What better way to get rid of them but to cover them up and market them in a "hardened case" so you can't really see the cells.

But on the other hand I just noticed looking at the specs that these packs can take a charge rate of up to 5C. This might be an indication that these packs might be made of better than the regular cells which only have a max charge rate of only 2C.

liveforphysics said:

How about a 6.4 kW LiPo short circuit/case piercing/overcharging test video? :twisted: Inquiring minds want to know...

texaspyro said:
liveforphysics said:

How about a 6.4 kW LiPo short circuit/case piercing/overcharging test video? :twisted: Inquiring minds want to know...

Bro, you fund it, and I will make it happen with a smile from ear to ear. :)

BTW- Since you're a pyro, you saw my flamethrower I made with Methy last weekend right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo1thw5z1mI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n0QVbKfbgc

grindz145 said:
liveforphysics said:

I didn't think that my 4.7kW-h would get upstaged so soon :shock: :twisted: :twisted:

P.S. Frock motor? Really? Methods is a bad influence on you.... 8)

Definitely is, the upside though, Luke may finally get his first functioning e-bike....worse case scenario, a heap more lipos to blow up... :mrgreen:

KiM

AussieJester said:
Definitely is, the upside though, Luke may finally get his first functioning e-bike....worse case scenario, a heap more lipos to blow up... :mrgreen:

KiM

You're jumping to conclusion. I will find a way to make it unreliable and uneconomical. I am a master of this.

Keyword: Stationary :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

torker said:
Keyword: Stationary :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Oh, ok. I don't think I want a stationary ebike :)

Anyway these 14.8V 5Ah hardcase packs sound reasonable. So a 44.4V 10Ah pack would cost $130. How much more do I need to buy a "fool proof - no worry" charger and BMS? I definitely have no desire in worrying about overcharging, balancing and LVC.

Back