E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Kepler said:
vodka said:
is it possible to pedal at high speeds? otherwise it's NOT a e bike...

Is this your rule? :roll:

A bicycle, also known as a bike, pushbike or cycle, is a pedal-driven, human-powered, single-track vehicle, having two wheels attached to a frame, one behind the other. A person who rides a bicycle is called a cyclist or a bicyclist.

I my opinion it's absolutely essential for vehicle called Bicycle or e-Bicycle, that the driver is able to add the human pealing power to it. otherwise it's just a Motorcycle. makes sense to me. maybe i should start a new thread :mrgreen:

vodka said:
i deliberately chosen the pannier-bag way to be cop-stealth
Hiding things doesn't make it legal

The Stealth bikes are fitted with a true 200w limiter. User can override it for situations where the limit is not enforced: racing, private tracks and some off-road riding.

Just out of interest, how fast does a bomber travel on level ground/no wind/no pedaling, holding 200W? I'm guessing less than 20kph/12mph with it's 55kg mass.

That's about right, say 28kph tops. Mass doesn't matter so much once its moving, just takes longer to get there.

BTW the throttle response is adjusted to have more resolution in legal mode.

I actually tested this just the other day. Set to 200W through the CA on mine. Dead flat no wind = 22kph. I imagine different winds and different voltages would change this a bit but not too much.

full-throttle said:
The Stealth bikes are fitted with a true 200w limiter. User can override it for situations where the limit is not enforced: racing, private tracks and some off-road riding.
doesn't make it legal either, you know that. Who in the world what's a 7000$ 4500W bike that's restricted to 200W for commuting. you must be joking.
legal legal switch there is no such thing . but what ever, who gives a frock, i don't :lol:

indeed, im enjoying this thread and imho stealth is the best offering available to date.

D

Been enjoying this thread and hope to add info pics and video soon but i've seen everything on the net with these things (which is awesome) and am wondering when some vids will come out hammering these bikes!!
even against other e-bikes, pitbikes, up the snotty'st hills, boggy'st conditions etc...

found someone else within 200k's getting the same spec bike at the same time as me so will be good to hook up for rides here and there but a whole bunch would be a blast!!

keep up the good work ;) cheers Dan

I, too, am enjoying this thread. For those fellow Americans interested in these fine pieces of machinery, Stealth Electric Bikes has just put up a new website and now has an American distributor:

http://stealthelectricbikesusa.com/index.html

I was hoping for some more/new videos and pics on the US website, but talking to Stealth Bikes, they will be done right and put up by professionals in the coming months. Hopefully they will feature the newer motors, including the 3 kW Stealth Fighter, which is what I have ordered and am waiting for.

A few questions for the veterans:
1. Like turbodan78 in the previous post, I too am hoping for more pictures, videos, reviews, and stories about owning and riding these bikes. Does anyone have any more videos out there?

2. I will be doing about 50% urban riding. Does anyone have any recommendations for bike chains/locks? This is obviously a huge investment that I don't want stolen.

3. Are there any modifications that you all have done to the bikes that you can't live without?

4. Is the stock seat comfortable? (as far as bike seats go anyhow?)

5. For the Fighter, are the two gears enough? Are you able to add appropriate pedal power throughout the speed ranges?

6. Any Americans own the bikes other than our friend in Florida and California? For any Americans, have you had problems with the authorities? I'm guessing this is so novel in the US, that no one would really even know what the bike is.

Thanks all! I can't wait till mine arrives.
-Jetman

Great thread!

The US prices are...
$9900 Bomber
$7900 Fighter

http://dopedbike.com/2011/02/stealth-electric-bikes-adds-us-distributor/

They will also have half day demo rides in the AZ desert called the "Stealth Experience".

Jetman said:
I, too, am enjoying this thread. For those fellow Americans interested in these fine pieces of machinery, Stealth Electric Bikes has just put up a new website and now has an American distributor:

http://stealthelectricbikesusa.com/index.html

I was hoping for some more/new videos and pics on the US website, but talking to Stealth Bikes, they will be done right and put up by professionals in the coming months. Hopefully they will feature the newer motors, including the 3 kW Stealth Fighter, which is what I have ordered and am waiting for.

A few questions for the veterans:
1. Like turbodan78 in the previous post, I too am hoping for more pictures, videos, reviews, and stories about owning and riding these bikes. Does anyone have any more videos out there?

2. I will be doing about 50% urban riding. Does anyone have any recommendations for bike chains/locks? This is obviously a huge investment that I don't want stolen.

3. Are there any modifications that you all have done to the bikes that you can't live without?

4. Is the stock seat comfortable? (as far as bike seats go anyhow?)

5. For the Fighter, are the two gears enough? Are you able to add appropriate pedal power throughout the speed ranges?

6. Any Americans own the bikes other than our friend in Florida and California? For any Americans, have you had problems with the authorities? I'm guessing this is so novel in the US, that no one would really even know what the bike is.

Thanks all! I can't wait till mine arrives.
-Jetman

Jetman,

Congratulations on your purchase. You are going to love riding this bike. I just cant get enough of mine. Its like a drug, I just make up excuses to ride it all the time.

Firstly, the stock bike needs no modification. Its a beast out of the box and super reliable. Keep in mind you are on a website for people who cant help themselves but to push the boundaries.

In relation to 2 speed versus 8 speed. Yes, 8 speed is better but 2 speed works. Even when I am trying to extend my range to the max, I still mostly uses the top gear (8 speed). Top is used 90% of the time. The way I see the 2 speed setup, top is used when riding and low is used to get you home should you run out of juice.

In relation to the seat, it suits riding in the dirt as its quite narrow so you can put a foot down easily. For long hauls, its a little uncomfortable. I actually have 2 seats with different length seat posts. Basically an off road low mounted seat, and a well padded high mounted seat that gives me goo leg extension when peddling.

Anyway, look forward to hearing from you when the bike arrives.

I use mine to commute in and around town. It´s the perfect urban weapon. Not to bother or endanger others. Don´t get me wrong here. It´s sleak, fast, reliable and agile. Just today i passed by some mopeds that, due to the restrictions here, only have a top speed of 45 km/h. But even the cars don´t come too close. A slight twist of the throttle increases the flow of electrons through the motors coils. A bit more and you´ve just initialized yourself some electronic fireworks that push you so hard that just for a moment your pedaling stops, enjoying the one of a kind silent ride.

I must admit that there´s nothing to improve. It took me some time to find the right setting for the suspension. We´ve got terrible roads in some parts of the city. After the right setup had been found the bike just flew over the pot holes maintaining perfect stability. It´s sturdy construction takes away the fright i´ve encountered with other so called e-bikes. These were nothing more than flimsy standard frames that had been literally overloaded with carelessly bolted on batteries and of course the motor. It´s so much fun to jump of the sidewalk or just drive down some stairs. There´s only one huge problem. When relaxing in a German " Biergarten " i usually end up drinking more then one beer. Why? Cause the bike attracts so much attention that it´s hard to have just one beer. The last time i stood there for almost 1 whole hour explaining the bike. I´m shure that more then one in the crowd would have probably loved to knock me uncouncious. Just to give it a ride. Right now the temperatures are below 0, but as long as the sun shines there´s absolutley no excuse to have the bomber boring itsely away in the basement. :D

Thought I would post up some fresh pictures of my Bomber after giving it a bit of a wash :)

Spec:
Early 2010 frame. (larger battery box than the 2011 model. Designed for Headways)
Off road tire set 24" x 3" wide.
X5XXX motor medium speed wind.(40mm wide magnet version)
30S 2P Turnigy 20C LiPo battery pack. Made up of 5 x 6S 5000mah in series x 2 sets in parallel.
126V hot off the charger.
1260 W/hr max.
1000 W/hr true usable without stressing the batteries.
Lyen Edition 18FET 150V controller. Modified shunt and Traces.
200V Cycle Analyst
Button activated Regen. (Average 5% regen on most rides)
8 Spot brake option.
Current limited to 60A (7.5kW on tap)
Top speed 80kph.
Weight: 47kg
3 Speed switch set to 30% on low speed (Still pumps out 2.5kW on low :) )
3500 km on the clock.
Best range achieved (1000 W/hrs) 78kms (traveling 35 to 45 kph)
Worst range achieved (1000 W/hrs) 25kms (Sure was fun though)
Average range 40kms

Attachments

• P1000404.jpg
    P1000404.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 3,283
  • P1000402.jpg
    P1000402.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 3,283
  • P1000406.jpg
    P1000406.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 3,283
  • P1000407.jpg
    P1000407.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 3,283
  • P1000408.jpg
    P1000408.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 3,283
This photo shows just how much battery you can get into one of these. As you can see, I have plenty of room to go 30S 3P if I want to. The wiring of cause is not how the comercial bike comes. I prefer to run the battery cables out the back so I can unplug and isolate the pack without taking the cover off.

Attachments

• P1000411.jpg
    P1000411.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 8,417
  • P1000415.jpg
    P1000415.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 3,665
Kepler said:
This photo shows just how much battery you can get into one of these. As you can see, I have plenty of room to go 30S 3P if I want to.
file.php

That setup looks like da bomb :lol: :twisted:

Have you paralleled your balance taps or just the 5Ah pack main leads together?

competitions said:
I'm considering coming over, have emailed John to see if anyone has one here that is willing to let me have a look first to save a few dollars.

It's definitely worth visiting the Stealth Factory. Besides getting to see both models and try them, there's the chance you can get out for a ride on the dirt with John and it's really fun to be out on the trails with another Stealth rider.

Hobart to Melbourne tickets look to be as little as $140 return and it could be done as a long day trip. Compared to the cost of the Stealth bikes, traveling to demo the bikes is pretty cheap!

voicecoils said:
That setup looks like da bomb :lol: :twisted:

Have you paralleled your balance taps or just the 5Ah pack main leads together?

Paralleled just the main leads. I personally think paralleling balance tabs is over rated. I dont even parallel the balance tabs when charging. Just check the packs every 10 charges or so to see how close they are. Up to 85 cycles now and the pack still hold perfect balance. I firmly believe the key is to make sure you dont discharge below 20%. On my setup, I make sure I never drop below 110V under moderate load. This gives me some head room if I do happen to loose a cell too. I always charge the packs on the bench rather then in the bike. Although this can be a little tedious, it allows to do a visual check on the cells after ever cycle which I think is one of the most important checks to do when using LiPo's.

On a whirlwind trip to Melbourne yesterday I managed to drop into stealth HQ to meet the boys there along with a few forum members. I just missed you apparently Kepler which is unfortunate, I would have liked a test ride on your high voltage bomber!

It was cool to see the factory in action, a frame being assemled and welded while I was there plus a shelf full of completed raw ones, and a few in different colours too - black, white and an army green one which looked the part. It was also interesting to check out the bomber 'back catalog' including some early tubular frame prototypes.

I had never ridden the bomber before so was looking forward to testing the performance of this fabled X5 on steroids torque monster. The one I rode was the older one and the first thing I noticed was the weight. Hoooo-leeee- sheeeeit. I'm average height and built more like an office worker than a construction worker :wink: but I'd hate to be lifting the thing. I dont think I'd be able to lift it into the back of a car or ute by myself. That said the newer ones are a little lighter, but weight wasn't an issue while riding. Because of the weight it felt more like a small moto than a bicycle but I guess that's what the target audience are after. Having ridden it now I'm much more inclined to call it an electric dirt bike with pedals rather than electric bicycle. Looks aside the weight alone pushes it into moto territory. I'd love to see the day they were registerable to legally ride on the road but talking to John yesterday it sounds like the costs of having all the ADR certification done means sadly it's something that will probably never happen.
I thought the remote control that one of the bombers had was very cool. I dont know if they're standard on the new ones but I think one button powered it up and another changed speed modes and did something else.

I quite liked the smoothness of the power from the bomber. The throttle control is very linear and smooth. On the motors I've been playing with (9Cs and the like) a quick twist of the throttle will result in a surge or jolt of power. I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me but it's the sort of thing that brings noobs unstuck :lol:
I was actually expecting more torque from the big motor (noticably bigger and fatter than the 9Cs) but with much the same current fed to each there's not alot between them, which is quite surprising. That said, you need to do some fair aftermarket hot rodding to get that performance from a smaller motor and if you're a noob you'll smoke it - so fair play on the choice of motor for a commercial product. Unfortunately I didnt get time to ride full throttles lighter, lipo powered bomber. Next time!

I look forward to a drag race with a bomber one day. You up for it voicecoils ? :mrgreen:

Hyena said:
Unfortunately I didnt get time to ride full throttles lighter, lipo powered bomber. Next time!
Yeah, that's because you got stuck in an elevator for an hour ;)

Was great to catch up! Now I'm really interested to see what you bike is like.

Hyena said:
On a whirlwind trip to Melbourne yesterday I managed to drop into stealth HQ to meet the boys there along with a few forum members.

<snip>

I look forward to a drag race with a bomber one day. You up for it voicecoils ? :mrgreen:

My Fighter? For sure! (*goes off to rewire packs for higher voltage*). I'm also supposed to drag race 'Tony two stroke', a local bragger as wel :)

Awesome to hear you got to see the factory in operation.

The Bomber's power is super smooth & IMO it makes it easy to pedal continuously (while changing gears in the gearbox) as you accelerate all the way up to pretty high speeds.

What did you think of the 9 speed gearbox?

Of course the Stealth motors could be run at double the input power but reliability would suffer as would efficiency & the bike's range. Sure you'd accelerate better but top speed on the flat wouldn't change. Hot rodding is an easy one for the geeks & that doesn't change the lifetime warranty on the Stealth frames.

Back