E-Trike Collecting Dust

nineball

100 W
Well is was fun while it lasted. Almost 2 years a 3000 miles later the local cops shut me down on my trike. Frigging small down bullshit. I'd been hearing rumors lately, and I think it turned into a pissing match between local and state police "If you don't pull him over I will" type of thing. So I'll see how long I get away with the bike, it’s a lot more discreet.

Ne 1 wanna buy a E-trike :cry: NY sucks!!

Yeah I'm curious too. I thought the ebike law in NY got changed, or am I wrong. Was it just the city?

Man that sucks!! Etrikes are fun to ride,
I'm lucky no problem here in Vancouver with the cops.

I hope they change the law there

Zenon

I thought bills had passed allowing for eBikes above certain age, wearing helmet - but this summer 2010 eHow article seems to say not quite yet...

http://www.ehow.com/list_6776682_new-state-electric-bicycle-laws.html

Here's a post I made about 1 year ago with the bill #s:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17456&p=254907&hilit=nys+assembly#p254907

I still dunno, it sure sucks but that's NY for ya...

I’d rather not pinpoint my location at this time, but it’s a small town in upstate NY. I only ride 4 -5 miles daily, to and from work. But there are 3 diff. police dept. that cover that small area. There are no bike lanes or even wide shoulders, so the trike takes up a little more room on the road than the bike, plus it just stands out more and people take notice.

I’m sure the small town gossip finally caught up to me, and I’m not in a position to argue right now, cause push come to shove I’d prolly be in deep shit. The officer mentioned “complaints”, so I can only guess that he/they were told that I had a motor on it, plus not every body is totally stupid, 20 mph up hill and 30-40 on the flats…. I did always pedal, but still….I’m just glad I got a warning and not tickets.

The NY E-bike laws are in the process, but haven’t made it in to law yet (as far as I know). Funny thing is E-bikes made big news in the city last year, and E-BikeKit
Had a display and was interviewed, but no mention about the law…So I guess it’s parked for a while…hope the law gets passed soon. I’m thinking about stripping it down and peddling right past them, I’m sure he’d pull me over again.

nineball said:
I’d rather not pinpoint my location at this time, but it’s a small town in upstate NY. I only ride 4 -5 miles daily, to and from work. But there are 3 diff. police dept. that cover that small area.

I’m thinking about stripping it down and peddling right past them, I’m sure he’d pull me over again.

Wow, sounds like my town word for word. Take the motor off and ride the crap out of that thing!

That's probably the only reason my trike hasn't been shut down, for the first 2weeks I pedaled that thing 40 miles a day, making sure to put on a show for as many cops as possible. Don't concede

Oh great, Assembly bill #A2393 now points to a Child Sexual Abuse Reform Act...

At least the Senate version S4014 is sorta viewable, sans any real details now, of course:

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menugetf.cgi?QUERYTYPE=BILLNO&QUERYDATA=S4014&SESSYR=2009&SELECT=STATUS

WBR - not only are they trying to figure out how to make TAX money off eBikes, but in NYC how much the MTA and Taxi Lobby will lose when people figure out how a decent eBike can avoid those dreadful services.

At least when they decide to crack down in the city I'm hoping they'll be busy going for Chinese delivery guys before getting around to commuters.

You folks in smaller NY towns - man, I feel for ya... Perfect example of bureaucratic nonsense!

Yea and NY is broke...I wonder who paid for the "NY police benevolent association" ad during the Super Bowl to the tune of 3 mil for a 30sec ad!!!??

Yup small town bullshit alright, funny thing is most people that have commented on it thought it was a great idea and I should patent it. ( of course that was to my face). The gossip at the Monday nite dart league was a diff. story. Their just jealous cause I hadn't bought GAS in 2 years!! @ 3.25 a gal.

Nineball,

I 100% disagree with the approach. If there's history then that's one thing and much harder to overcome, but otherwise in a small town being up front and chatting up the local authorities is the way to go. They have wide latitude regarding enforcement, and laws limiting ebikes are unjust laws, so you have right and fair on your side. If there's a complaint, find out what it is and address it. If you're unknown then people are suspicious and their imaginations wander, so buying a cup of coffee and talking with an officer to let them know you're just a regular guy trying to save a buck using the most efficient form of transportation known to man is time well spent. Simply letting them see you're harmless citizen minding your own business will put their mind at ease, and they'll focus attention elsewhere. If you're a bit quirky, then telling them know you're a part time inventor is an idea. If they already know you and you think they don't like you, then money problems and ebiking to save every penny for a move to Florida is likely to net you leeway. Ebikes are different and change makes people nervous. Put their minds at ease and you're likely to get the freedom you want.

If it's state troopers that have an issue, then stop and talk with them. Their focus is likely to be more on safety, so maybe some better lighting or reflectors would encourage them to look the other way. If slow speed is their issue, then tell them you've gotten your machine so efficient that with pedaling added to the Federal power limit you think you can push it up to the posted speed limit, but you haven't tried a higher gearing out of fear drawing undue attention. Be sure to include that you go out of your way to be safe, cautious and courteous, especially around cars and pedestrians, and that kids shouldn't be allowed to ride machines like yours, because it's not a toy.

Be sure to get names. Dropping the name of an officer you've already hashed things out with, is a tremendous advantage when dealing with the next one. Smiles and "sirs" go a long long way too. You can even use your interpretation of the previous discussion to twist the agreed upon terms with the other officer slightly more in your favor.

The bottom line is that there's nothing wrong with ebiking which puts you on the good side of right, and all laws are subject to selective enforcement with strangers getting the least leeway. Since you already have attention, it's time to get things out in the open, and in a small town environment it's easy to get the resolution in your favor. Switching to 2 wheels is unlikely to help, since you're already on their radar.

Well, 30- 40 mph,,, Even in New Mexico that's an illegal homemade motorcycle being ridden on the street with no licence plate. Once they know about it, the cops do kinda have to do thier job, after all people complained...

Bummer, but you shoulda rode a bit slower if ebikes are sill illegal in NY. I think Obama should send some feds over to NY with some suggestions about passing an ebike law, or lose their highway money. But even then, you'd have to ride 20 mph to be legal.

The NYS eBike Bill has been forwarded every year, for almost 10 years.Last year it passed the Assembly 127 to 1. For some reason, it is blocked in the Senate, every year. Some moron must fear the loss of gasoline tax revenue! ... ???

Maybe they fear even faster NYC bike messengers. But what's the diff? those guys ride fixies in high gear and have legs like a horse.

Maybe we should figure out a way to lobby for Obama to put some Federal pressure on these dirty NYS bastards? Watched part - State of the Union address - coulda swore he promised more support for electric vehicles? Promises, promise - politicians...

I know, idealistic bullshit - it's so frustrating to own/use an eBike that meets Federal consumer definition for electric bicycle and these idiots can somehow figure out a way make it a crime!

§ 2268. Motor-assisted vehicle. Notwithstanding any other provision of
this chapter, a vehicle which is primarily designed to be propelled by
human power shall not be entitled to registration as a limited use
vehicle because of the addition of a motor. The commissioner shall
determine whether any vehicle is primarily designed to be propelled by
human power.

The section that "Bans" electric assisted bikes, doesn't actually do that from my reading. The section is on registering limited use vehicles. Who is the commissioner anyways? I'd say find out the definition of this commissioner and have them define electric bikes as not being motor assisted rather than trying to change a law that may not even really apply except in the minds of people that like to make laws up... ie. some police and citizens that don't like bikes on the road, period.

Back