Dogati Electric Superleggera

j3tch1u said:
amberwolf said:
FWIW, the only motor shaft I've broken so far was also at a circlip groove, back on DayGlo Avenger's 2nd friction drive.

maybe it has something to do with breaking the hardened shaft surface? i can't move the circlip but i can bump the shaft size up to 20mm.

Some alloys and tempers suffer from it more or less than others, but if you Google "notch sensitivity", you can read about the stress riser work hardening effects that cause many material failures.

Re make the shaft out of 300M steel and never look back, if you like to, make it the 20mm thicker if you can fit it, and you will never break it again...

Now that I can see the bike next to its bigger brother, I am VERY impressed with the design and overall look!! Unbelievable quality! Like an OEM would do it!

liveforphysics said:
j3tch1u said:
amberwolf said:
FWIW, the only motor shaft I've broken so far was also at a circlip groove, back on DayGlo Avenger's 2nd friction drive.

maybe it has something to do with breaking the hardened shaft surface? i can't move the circlip but i can bump the shaft size up to 20mm.

Some alloys and tempers suffer from it more or less than others, but if you Google "notch sensitivity", you can read about the stress riser work hardening effects that cause many material failures.

luke, i see that even being in asia surrounded by hot women you are still addicted to es!

Whiplash said:
Re make the shaft out of 300M steel and never look back, if you like to, make it the 20mm thicker if you can fit it, and you will never break it again...

Now that I can see the bike next to its bigger brother, I am VERY impressed with the design and overall look!! Unbelievable quality! Like an OEM would do it!

i'm going to redo the gearbox using way heavier rated gears/shafts and hopefully be done with that (and make something else break) :twisted:

still wanting to put the sprag clutches in for frictionless pedalling so i'm gonna try welding two of them together and cut threads for the freewheels across the conjoined twins.

this bike is an obsession--i won't stop til i can squeeze every last ounce of perfection out of it :!:

j3tch1u said:
Whiplash said:

i'm going to redo the gearbox using way heavier rated gears/shafts and hopefully be done with that (and make something else break) :twisted:

still wanting to put the sprag clutches in for frictionless pedalling so i'm gonna try welding two of them together and cut threads for the freewheels across the conjoined twins.

this bike is an obsession--i won't stop til i can squeeze every last ounce of perfection out of it :!:

THAT, my friend is very obvious! The quality shows!

You should hit up Ducati and see if they want to offer an electric bike! You might get to lead the design team!

j3tch1u said:
luke, i see that even being in asia surrounded by hot women you are still addicted to es!

He lives in California now i doubt Asia has alot to offer he ain't already seen LoL, he always seems tobe surrounded by and/or hanging our of hot wiminez, he's a bit of a womanizer is our boy Luke ;-P :mrgreen:

Glad to hear you and the bike are mostly ok j3tch1u, few little 'glitches' to sort
often the case for custom built bikes i have found ;)

KiM

Ben, I’ve been following your build from the beginning. Love your work, all of it has been first rate. Great to see the latest pics and how much fun you are having riding it. I can’t wait till winter is over here so I can get out riding as well.

Kim, I think Luke is out by Ben’s side of the world from one of his recent posts.

Hi, everyone. I'm new to the board and have been lurking for quite some time. I hadn't planned on posting until I had something to contribute, but I have to chime in to give you props, Ben. You've done a hell of a job. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Cheers,
Jason

But guys, have some compassion. With every picture and video you guys post, you are pushing me one step closer to my death, cause I know my wife is gonna kill me for spending so much money to get my hands on one of these things. :shock:

AussieJester said:
j3tch1u said:

He lives in California now i doubt Asia has alot to offer he ain't already seen LoL, he always seems tobe surrounded by and/or hanging our of hot wiminez, he's a bit of a womanizer is our boy Luke ;-P :mrgreen:

Glad to hear you and the bike are mostly ok j3tch1u, few little 'glitches' to sort

KiM

Asia has California beat. Language barrier is nice. Massive selection. Asia has made my jaw hit the floor enough to want a chin protector. :)

liveforphysics said:
Asia has California beat. Language barrier is nice. Massive selection. Asia has made my jaw hit the floor enough to want a chin protector. :)

ROFL...not having :mrgreen: to hear the wiminez whinge is definitely a massive bonus... :mrgreen: I think i speak for all when i say PiiiiiCs :p

KiM

Uuuum yes!

AussieJester said:
liveforphysics said:

ROFL...not having :mrgreen: to hear the wiminez whinge is definitely a massive bonus... :mrgreen: I think i speak for all when i say PiiiiiCs :p

KiM
I've seen lukes pics, and yup his mom is Hot 8)

liveforphysics said:
AussieJester said:
j3tch1u said:

KiM

luke, i'm glad you're having a good time--first impression makes a lasting impression :p china certainly has a high density of talent. definitely get a chin protector haha.

AussieJester said:
liveforphysics said:

KiM

...and hidden video if it's not too much trouble :p

unfortunately for me the language barrier is not high enough :wink: lots of barking, whining, whimpering. my dogs also make some noise as well :lol:

j3tch1u said:
unfortunately for me the language barrier is not high enough :wink: lots of barking, whining, whimpering. my dogs also make some noise as well :lol:

To which the best response is next. Bitching and complaining falls under the heading I call "unacceptable behavior". I explained that to wife #3 only once. She pitched a fit at first, but it soaked in quite effectively after she thought about it. No shortage of that species of fish in the ocean.

That's definitely one of the nicest ebike builds I've ever seen. Sucks about the shaft, but then again, it means you have plenty of power. Just have to make it bigger. I can't wait to see some video of it in action.

fechter said:
That's definitely one of the nicest ebike builds I've ever seen. Sucks about the shaft, but then again, it means you have plenty of power. Just have to make it bigger. I can't wait to see some video of it in action.

thank you richard (and for your indirect contributions). i'm thinking once i have some oem's to help me produce in quantity i can sell some at cost to fellow es members. who wants to join the Dogeratti? 8)

John in CR said:
j3tch1u said:

To which the best response is next. Bitching and complaining falls under the heading I call "unacceptable behavior". I explained that to wife #3 only once. She pitched a fit at first, but it soaked in quite effectively after she thought about it. No shortage of that species of fish in the ocean.

China is like the worlds largest fish sampler buffet. But you know, it just leaves you hungry for more in an hour. ;)

LOL!

liveforphysics said:
John in CR said:
j3tch1u said:

China is like the worlds largest fish sampler buffet. But you know, it just leaves you hungry for more in an hour. ;)

1 is too many and 100 is not enough.

"be careful what you sample, for you may walk funny in the morning" --confucious

Back