The New (2009) EZip "StepThrough"

DrkAngel

1 GW
Just got an EZip, for $258, including shipping! Of course, I immediately began my upgrades.

The StepThrough ...

My newest bike began life as a "2009 Ladies, EZip Trailz".
Of course, I always improve on the basic model. Improvements include:

20T to 16T motor side freewheel upgrade.
(Sight alignment problem, bent motor bracket slightly, to re-align.)

11-32T 7spd freewheel upgrade.
(Tried 11-34T freewheel first, but chain seemed too long for 11T, went 32T so I could have the option of shortening chain, by a link or 2, later.)

Took off the OEM slip & slide tires and replaced with 2.125 road-worthy whitewalls. Also installed a 5x "slime" filled tube in the rear tire.

Adjusted hub bearing tightness, aligned wheels, adjusted brakes, etc.

The result is a beautiful, comfortable, cruiser.
Sadly, too nice for any of the "Ladies" I know!

So, ... I have added an elegant StepThrough to my stable of eBikes!

Total upgrade time ... about 4 hours. Re-replacing the 7spd and re-aligning the motor gears caused the project to take much longer than necessary.

Thanks mikefish! (Sarcastic tone) If you hadn't told everyone about this deal, I might have got it even cheaper! (ha ha ha!)

Will supply pictures, as soon as, snow is gone, and sun comes out.

Nice man! Now you need to loose the lead! For that price though, there is no reason for everyone not to ride ebikes 8)

grindz145 said:
Nice man! Now you need to loose the lead! For that price though, there is no reason for everyone not to ride ebikes 8)

Way ahead of you!

I started building my own Li-ions 3 years ago.

Attachments

• 10ah_01.JPG
    10ah_01.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 7,209
  • 10ah_pcb.JPG
    10ah_pcb.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 7,202
  • 20ah_01.JPG
    20ah_01.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 7,202
  • LI vs SLA.JPG
    LI vs SLA.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 7,209
  • icon_wink.gif
    icon_wink.gif
    170 bytes · Views: 6,360
Yah, drkangel is reposting a lotta old stuff. I've seen the history of this eZip stuff on some other eBike forum that seemed to be waning..

Hey DrkAngel, are you exclusively an ES member now? ;)

neptronix said:
Yah, drkangel is reposting a lotta old stuff. ...
Hey DrkAngel, are you exclusively an ES member now? ;)

Sorry ... would never let myself be "tied down" - limited, by exclusivity!
Might lead to symptoms generally associated with inbreeding?

And yes! 3 years ago I built two 37v - 20.8ah Li-ion packs, and both are still going strong!
I have used these on 2 - 2008 EZip Mountain Trailz. These older EZips were 24v and 36v capable. (About 3000 miles on each, put studded tires on one and rode it through the last 2 winters!)

The newer EZips, IZips too, have over voltage protected controllers than will not work much above 30v, actual input.
For these bikes, rather than changing the controller, I built 25.9v Li-ion packs. About the same size as the 37v packs, they are 25.9v - 31.2ah!
In conjunction with my 16T upgrade, they will motivate along at 22mph.
16mph testing speed produced a 40 mile no-pedaling range.
Some pedal assist is provided past 25mph.

Surprisingly, EZips, with the 16T upgrade, and the 25.9v Li-ion, perform almost as well as the 37v non-16T bikes!

Of course, with either, you should upgrade the 7spd freewheel from the rather limiting 14T, top speed gear.
I went to a variety of 11-28,32,34T 7spd freewheels, from LONG YIH Co.
Otherwise top pedal assist speed is not much past 20mph.

PS Packs were constructed from 2600mah cells that were scavenged from "bad" notebook batteries!

Nice, I missed that key design feature:) I appreciate the cross post on ES. Running those 2.6s as C rate is asking for it though! :twisted: :shock:

The Sun, came out. Here are the promised pictures.
The 2009 EZip StepThrough! Upgraded from 2009 Ladies EZip.

attachment.php

Threw on some big "comfy" whitewalls.
ST01.JPG
attachment.php

16T & 7spd 11T upgrades are working nicely!

attachment.php

Oh! ... The green valve cap? As long as I was replacing the rear tire, I installed a "5X Slime filled tube", supposedly thorn, nail etc. resistant! $10@ Walmart.

That is the ezip model I have, (Well... perhaps yours is a newer version). Nice, isn't it? I run the two packs in parallel for more oomph and am thinking of putting a hub that will allow me to change the gear ratio for the motor.
The fact that it's a step through makes it easier to bail out in case a marauding SUV is on the attack. :p

The green valve cap?

Good idea. I put the 5X Slime tubes on my trike. On a 100K ride last September somebody threw out thumb tacks on the road. I picked up two in my right front tire. Pulled them out and saw a trace of green ooze come through each hole in the tire. Completed the ride with no loss of air. Still riding on that tube/tire with no repairs after 6 months. Sure beats repairing or replacing tubes during a ride. A friend on the ride had to fix 3 flats on her bike.

Oh no!
Got my new EZip, perked er up, took er for a ride and putted along?
Whaa!

I think I got stuck with a 250w motor!
Supposed to be a 450w!

The good news?
Instead of 20mph, it putts along at 17mph, but almost silently!
Might be nice for a 100lb girl, but at 200lb, not for me.

Damn, either I have to pick up a cute little "sweet thing" or ...
I could break out one of my spare 450watt'ers.
I picked up 3 from AllElectronics a year, or so, ago.
A 250w will come in handy for something.

Warrantied by Currie & PayPal protection. You just have to get past the "Women's" stigma.

Toys and Games Online .Com Excellent "Zoom" picture!

I spruced one up and decided it was too nice for any of the Women, I know.

946d1300385711-new-ezip-stepthrough-st02.jpg

Also available at Walmart.com. (Men's Too!) Under $400 w/free ship to nearest store!

EZip Trailz @ Walmart.com

DrkAngel said:
Supposed to be a 450w!

Nobody has opened up for a stare and compare of the 250 W vs 450 W motor. Will you be the first?

gogo said:
DrkAngel said:
Supposed to be a 450w!

Nobody has opened up for a stare and compare of the 250 W vs 450 W motor. Will you be the first?

No ... Brushes are a pain. Should look the same as 450w, except, thinner (lighter gauge) windings.

Plan on a trial, at 250w, when the weather gets better.
A little stealth cruising, along the river trail.
Before the 450w swap out.
Lights and speedometer-odometer installed.
Maybe big comfort seat.

Might use for trial of 22.2v Lipo. (25.2v at full charge.)

Took my first ride, SLA battery was pitiful, so I shoehorned 26ah (25.9v), of Lipo into an EZip pack.
After 35 miles, I was impressed, and nutcrackered, I replaced the "ballbuster" with a big comfy seat.
2nd Lipo test produced 40 miles, with a remaining voltage of 24.8v.

I might have been wrong about it having a 250w motor, 25.9v will motivate my 200lb mass at 21mph, still at a nearly silent clip.

The main problem I see, is that the 5x slime filled tube is so thick, that to completely fill the oversize tire, it must exceed the 40lb pressure limit, resulting in a "firm" - rough, ride. Otherwise, I love it!

Noticed that my little "ladies" looked a little naked up front.
So I ordered up some nice big chrome fenders.
Front was a little snug, but looks nice!
I fear these fenders were for a coaster brake bike
The main problem is that the rear fender mounts are obstructed by the motor and rack.
No problem tho - they call me the great innovator, show me any item and I'll show you an ingenious, alternate, use for it. Just need to think abit about it.

I started in gradeschool, turning clothes pins into split pea shooters.
My grandmother probably got frustrated about her "pins" disappearing, from the line.

Hey folks those motors and gearboxes used to make a terrible racket with straight cut steel gears. Did they (Currie) change something to make them quiet?????
otherDoc

Just pulled out my 2008 Trailz, for the weekend.
And yes, I almost cringed at the motor noise.
Speed and acceleration seemed better tho, top speed definitely was!
Of course that might be due to the oem "smooth" tires at 70lb, vs the 2.125 "comfy" tires at 40lb.

Sounds like a drill, with bad bearings, inside a tin can ... till it gets up to 20mph, then actually sounds "nice". Makes me want to try it at 36v, just to hear the sound.

The 2009, on the other hand, is nearly silent!
Can't even hear it with 15mph wind passing my ears!

I decided to standardize all the motors-wheels by inserting "Deans"- "T plug" connectors near the motor. Makes all rear end work much faster & simpler. Could probably swap noisy motor-wheel onto 36v ezip in 5 minutes.

DrkAngel said:
I decided to standardize all the motors-wheels by inserting "Deans"- "T plug" connectors near the motor. Makes all rear end work much faster & simpler. Could probably swap noisy motor-wheel onto 36v ezip in 5 minutes.

Actually, I use a variation of the "Dean's Plug".
The variation I use has the same 100amp rating, but adds a gripping texture, that allows separating the connector via gripping the connector, rather than needing to pull the wires to get a grip.
T-Plug.jpg

I can recommend this source:
New Red Nylon T-plug Male/Female 5 Pairs(10 pcs)- $3.99 + $2 shipping
Fast shipping & confirmed stable under soldering temperature.

I decided to turn my StepThrough into my comfort cruiser.
I did, modify the big chrome fender to fit the front wheel, but would have had to majorly crush and mangle to get the rear installed, decided to save it for some other bike.

file.php

I removed the oem seat and installed a big comfy saddle. A vast improvement, for my extended cruisings.
Problem is, when I fully lowered the seat, for cruising stance, it sat me fully upright, placing undue weight on the rear wheel. I broke 1 spoke while carrying a 70lb load on rear rack.
So I decided to:
1. Stop carrying heavy loads
2. Add a suspension post - to cushion the impact weight, of my personal 200lb
Problem - Could not find anyone who sells an 28.6mm suspension post
Solution - 27.2mm suspension post - $11 & 27.2 - 28.6mm Seat Tube Adapter - AU $3.99]

The result:
Pure bliss ... I can cruise for hours. Every little bump or blacktop "patch" that assaulted my aging butt & back ... seems to have disappeared.
I even did a tour of the old brick streets ... they became a scenic pleasure ... rather than a jolting annoyance ...

file.php

No, I'm not totally lazy!
It takes about 5 seconds to adjust seat height, for "proper" pedal-assist.

I've never been satisfied with the oem lubricant on suspension posts, or front forks, I was lucky enough to find some SKIL SUPER-DUTY LUBRICANT no.252. This was designed for the gear reduction motors of the SKIL power saws, of decades past, works better than anything else I've run into. A very light-weight grease consistency.

Attachments

• Comfort.JPG
    Comfort.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 8,217
  • Comfortseat.JPG
    Comfortseat.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 8,217
I had been running my EZip Trailz, testing my homemade Lipo pack.
Top speed 23 mph, smooth "road" tires.
But as the Fall approaches, I've turned to my "Stepthrough" as a more comfortable-casual cruiser.
20mph, quieter motor, upright posture, and better all-around tires seem much better suited for my scenic touring.
Gotta get that done, before the snow flies ...

I've put more than 1000 miles on my "homemade" recycled Lipo pack!

DrkAngel said:
... as the Fall approaches, I've turned to my "Stepthrough" as a more comfortable-casual cruiser.
20mph, quieter motor, upright posture, and better all-around tires seem much better suited for my scenic touring.
Gotta get that done, before the snow flies ...
My "Scenic Cruising" includes "The Allegheny River Valley Trail" system.
The Trail is a pleasant meandering through a mixed forest area combined with wide open views of the valleys surrounding hills.
The local Fall foliage is approaching full color, and this weekend is expected to be beautifully sunny and warm, mid - 70s.

This looks to be an enjoyable weekend for entering the 100 Mile Club.
I've probably been there, a while, but never kept track of daily mileage.
I have 3 - 25.9v packs ready to go, a 26ah Lipo & 2 - 31.2ah Li-ion.
25.9V x 88.4ah = 2.29kWh - Almost 150 miles capability in economy mode.

I could make 100 miles in under 5 hours with my Trailz, but 6 hours on my comfort cruiser sounds much more enjoyable ...

Attachments

• allegheny-river-valley-trail.pdf
    883 KB · Views: 202
I just passed 2000 miles, with my "Stepthrough", and thought I would post my review-impressions.

Ist off, I am satisfied.
The quiet, comfortable, ride is an nice alternative to my speed-power enhanced EZips.
Also, the stepthrough feature is almost a necessity, when carrying a load on the rack.

2 problems:

1. The battery drops into the rack and contacts with 2 brass(?) contacts.
Both of these sets of contacts melted the plastic retainers, that allowed the brass contacts to move freely.
This resulted in poor, but then, damaging contact.
I resolved the fault, by replacing, with the contacts, from a 2008 Mountain Trailz, which had been modified, for 37V.
I've never had a problem with the 2008 MT pack contacts.
Alternately, the 2008 Trailz, had cupped stainless contacts, which also suffered 1 failure.
From my first EZip, contacts seemed to be a problem, they got "dirty" and provided poor connection.
The pack rattled in the rack, with brief power loss and lock damage.
I bent-squeezed the rack slightly, with a tourniquet, so as to hold the pack tightly, and added a 1/2" bungee, around the rack, which also held the pack-packs firmly down. I also added "heatsink" conductive silicon grease, to the contacts to help maintain contact and prevent contact degradation.

Contacts.JPG

2. Broken spokes!
I had about 4 instances!
I even resorted to buying 12ga spokes, not installed yet, a Winter project, may require drilling ...

Strangely ... the breaks were on the pedal sprocket side?
I say strangely, because all the 2008 Trailz's always suffered broken spokes on the motor side?

I didn't realize the significance, till I laced a new hub into a wheel.
After careful consideration as to directional torque and how the spokes were supported in the hub flange, I determined that the motor & pedal torque should be sustained by spokes with the elbows turned outward.
After looking at my other EZips, I was able to confirm that the spokes were breaking because the torqued spokes had their elbows turned inward!

A picture of my 2008 EZip MT w/16 mod.
As you can see, the inward turned elbows are poorly suited to survive torque.

View attachment 1

14ga spokes might work satisfactorily with the EZips, if properly directionalized!

Well it's about time for me to pack away the Stepthrough, and put my Winter EZip back on the road.
Configuring my pack heaters ... now.

Oh!
One last thing!
Whitewalls NOT recommended for the EZips!
The alloy wheels, combined with brake residue, road grime etc, creates some grungy, nasty black-gray staining.

Alternate option for broken spokes is a better hub.
I found a couple of these on clearance ... all gone now.
NHSpk.JPG
Compared to the EZip OEM!
file.php

I've been rebuilding EZip hubs ...
One of the best-worst points is that the hub flanges need no drilling to fit 12ga spokes. (2008 Mountain Trailz)
Which means :
1. No drilling on hubs
2. Holes were too big to properly support the oem 14ga spokes!

The wheel does require redrilling, with 3/16" bit
Will (severely) road test, before upgrading 2nd wheel to 12ga.

I also built 2 wheels using aftermarket, eZip compatible, hubs. (No longer, or unknown, availability)
1 as an EZip replacement for bad hub, replaced the QR axle with the oem EZips.
The other, a QR for my 700C Haro.
Sadly the motor mounting brackets, I got from TNCScooters last year, will not work, alignment is way, way off!
Guess I'll have to get 1, or 2, from EZipUSA.com.
Or, I could have a local machine shop make up a lighter-smaller bracket, to my pattern?

Not worried yet, all projects are for Spring.

Hello DrkAngel,

Thanks for all of your detailed posts, giving near-microscopic views of the e-zip Trailz.

I own a 2008 men's model. I'm mostly happy with it,though I'm not yet convinced that I'd rather ride it than my plain old pedal bicycle. Right now my chain-stays seem to have gotten out of alignment; I'm having tire rubbing issues. I wish the dropouts weren't vertical. I'm gonna have to figure out how to straighten it.

I also had my primary battery contact deteriorate, then melt. Seems to be a weak point. I've rewired and that's no longer an issue for me.

Those lithium ion battery packs you make from laptop batteries are very tempting. I don't think I'll try it, though, until I get a better understanding of safe charging, maintenance and use technipues.

All in all, your posts tend to help me understand the bike as a whole, possible weaknesses and possible remedies more quickly than I'd likely have figured out on my own.

Back