PM box IS NOT A CHATROOM !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Applied.

I really think we should have separate sections though. There is a big difference between what's in there ( very technical and specific stuff ) and what would be good for newbies.

There is a lot of technical info that can be added to that section. At the same time the newbie info should not be cluttering up that area.

neptronix said:
I really think we should have separate sections though. There is a big difference between what's in there ( very technical and specific stuff ) and what would be good for newbies.

Fair enough. :)

Maybe a single top-level FAQ forum, again with only guru access to post to so it doesnt' get cluttered with questions and stuff. Have it at the top of the ES main forum page with a big "lewk hear fyrst" sign on it. ;)

Yeah i'm thinking maybe at some point after the user signs up, it directs them to that section.
phpbb has something for doing that, i have seen it in some of the many car forums i've been on.

Maybe we can split the technical reference section and the faq section away from the 'general discussion' part so that they stand out a bit.

Maybe make it the 'information area' or something..

i found the search function to be really helpful. when i first got lithiums, i didnt really need to pm anyone like doctorbass because all of this info was posted here somewhere. and most of the time when i use search, i end up bumping into stuff that i will need to use eventually anyway, so the search function isnt totally useless. :wink:

On one ecig forum I signed up you're not even allowed to post outside of the newbie section until you have 15 posts. That's a bit harsh, but it prevents spammers and people with "what is a good first ecig to buy" questions from flooding the forum.

Hi Auraslip,

I like your site (thumbs up)!

it should be integrated into this site to serve as an FAQ...

I wouldn't mind it being used, as everything on it I learned from here.... it's just not done yet... still got lots of stuff to write.

Here is my best shot:

Sticky a thread in each sub forum: Frequently Asked Questions

First post is by moderator, who approves all changes/additions to FAQ.

Anyone who wishes to write a FAQ sends text/pix to moderator to be incorporated into first post.

Threads are not locked to allow discussion for editing purposes.

Posts are peer-reviewed for accuracy in thread. All changes are made in first post so that readers need never go beyond.

I hate like hell-fire seeing good information disappear. I hate even more seeing a wicked explanation with thoughtful pictures, then not being able to find it later.

I volunteer to write something related to non-hub drives, or basic electrical stuff.

Please, please, please set something like this up. We should be able to keep such a simple thing in-house.

Yours,

Katou

katou said:
Here is my best shot:
Sticky a thread in each sub forum: Frequently Asked Questions
First post is by moderator, who approves all changes/additions to FAQ.
Anyone who wishes to write a FAQ sends text/pix to moderator to be incorporated into first post.
Threads are not locked to allow discussion for editing purposes.
Posts are peer-reviewed for accuracy in thread. All changes are made in first post so that readers need never go beyond.
I hate like hell-fire seeing good information disappear. I hate even more seeing a wicked explanation with thoughtful pictures, then not being able to find it later.
I volunteer to write something related to non-hub drives, or basic electrical stuff.
Please, please, please set something like this up. We should be able to keep such a simple thing in-house.
Yours,
Katou

High five!
I don't think we need a FAQ in each sub forum though. Just one will do for now as this site is mainly about eBikes.

Lets just clarify this whole thing that doctor freebase is talking in broken english about. There were 3 messages sent to him so why he sees the need to lie I do not know. I was putting my 3 10ga wires into my 5304 and I couldn't find hall wires that were small enough to fit through so I asked doctor freebase what I should do. His reply was that he used some special ultra flat wires on his. I did a search but nothing came up so I messaged him to ask him where I could buy some wire like that and frenchy had a blowout. Get a life. The liar is making it out like I sent him hundreds of messages which is complete bullshit. I think he just likes to make himself look like a victim of something and get some of his followers to hop on the bandwagon. The part that makes me laugh the most is he sure loves to put the time into the messages complaining. If he would spend the effort into helping people that he spends in whining and complaining there would be no issue. I know that because hes been here longer than me all his little followers will jump to his defence but thats fine. There are so many other people on this forum who dont have a huge ass ego who are 100 times more helpful and knowledgable than doc such as icecube57, lyen, methods ,justin etc. Because of those people I have an amazing understanding of e-bikes and I really want to thank them for all their help. Now that I have a good understanding if somebody messages me I have no problem with helping them at all. I realize that the search function on here is sometimes not the greatest and I have no problem helping somebody new to the hobby. Thats how the hobby grows. As for bitching about taking up space in my mailbox I know that it takes 2 seconds to clear it. God doc I think you need a real problem in your life! I think this whole big deal about using the pm function is absolutely retarded. If somebody needs some help they are more than welcome to send a pm.

Beavinator said:
Lets just clarify this whole thing that doctor freebase is talking in broken english about. There were 3 messages sent to him so why he sees the need to lie I do not know. I was putting my 3 10ga wires into my 5304 and I couldn't find hall wires that were small enough to fit through so I asked doctor freebase what I should do. His reply was that he used some special ultra flat wires on his. I did a search but nothing came up so I messaged him to ask him where I could buy some wire like that and frenchy had a blowout. Get a life. The liar is making it out like I sent him hundreds of messages which is complete bullshit. I think he just likes to make himself look like a victim of something and get some of his followers to hop on the bandwagon. The part that makes me laugh the most is he sure loves to put the time into the messages complaining. If he would spend the effort into helping people that he spends in whining and complaining there would be no issue. I know that because hes been here longer than me all his little followers will jump to his defence but thats fine. There are so many other people on this forum who dont have a huge ass ego who are 100 times more helpful and knowledgable than doc such as icecube57, lyen, methods ,justin etc. Because of those people I have an amazing understanding of e-bikes and I really want to thank them for all their help. Now that I have a good understanding if somebody messages me I have no problem with helping them at all. I realize that the search function on here is sometimes not the greatest and I have no problem helping somebody new to the hobby. Thats how the hobby grows. As for bitching about taking up space in my mailbox I know that it takes 2 seconds to clear it. God doc I think you need a real problem in your life! I think this whole big deal about using the pm function is absolutely retarded. If somebody needs some help they are more than welcome to send a pm.

This is a great example of a issue that should have been asked in a public forum.

:roll:

Beavinator said:
Lets just clarify this whole thing that doctor freebase

People like you arrive here on E-S for less than a year (Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 ) and think they can treat people like bullshit after we helped you ALOT WITHOUT ASKING ANYTHING IN RETURN and think they are right???!!
You have absolutely no respect for the time i already gaved to you and you play the EGO card????

Did i ever called you something like Beavidetonator or something else??? The answer is NO.. and you choose to use sarcasm like calling me Doctor freebase....

And you think you are an exemple of restect??? Forget it !!
I think you deserve absolutely nothing from people here... What is your contribution here?? Please answer to that!

Sending PM is NOT HELPFULL FOR THE CROWD !!!! and sending more than hundred of PM to the same person in a really short period of time is NOT a good exemple of good ATTITUDE
MAKING A POST AND MAYBE SENDING A LINK IN A PM TO THAT POST TO SOMEONE IS A GOOD IDEA.

Beavinator said:
is talking in broken english about

ABSOLUTLY NO RESPECT AGAIN !!! :evil: GROW UP little kid. GROW UP !
My first language is French and i do my best with my english. EVERYBODY HERE ALREADY KNOW THAT and since 2007 but you seem to be the only one that is having sarcasm about that.

Did you ever tried to send me a single question in french????? the answer is NO !!.. and you are laughing right in my face about the quality of my language??? are you certain you want to debate on that.. because i think your little kid attituke is not the right size to win this debate!!

Beavinator said:
There were 3 messages sent to him so why he sees the need to lie I do not know

what a liar you are!! You forgot to multiply your number by like 30 to 40 !!!... You lie about that!! You really sent me like 100 Private messages in the lasts 2 months...Maybe you prefer me to ask one of the moderator to see the log of the message you sent me???? You would see a large smile on my face

Beavinator said:
His reply was that he used some special ultra flat wires on his. I did a search but nothing came up so I messaged him to ask him where I could buy some wire like that and frenchy had a blowout. The liar is making it out like I sent him hundreds of messages which is complete bullshit

I must clarify something about that:
Many times before and also few few days before you sent me those 4-5 or 6 Pms a day about that motor question I politely asked you to SLOW DOWN THE RATE OF YOUR PM and asked you stopping to send me every single question that grow in your mind and just to assemble all them in a single PM to not flood my Pm box THAT ALREADY RECEIVE PM FROM OTHER MEMBERS.
And you NEVER RESPECTED THAT and continu.... :roll: You dont listen what we ask you to reapect

I also warned you that if you continue, otherwise that i'll stop answering your questions

And this is WHAT I DID because you choose to exaggerate

Beavinator said:
I think he just likes to make himself look like a victim of something and get some of his followers to hop on the bandwagon
This is really curious to see that by the comments of others members that this is exactly teh card that you play right now...

Sorry, i dont feel like a victim.. I feel like many other members that think we must ban you from the E-S because of you ZERO RESTECT attitude!!

Beavinator said:
The part that makes me laugh the most is he sure loves to put the time into the messages complaining. If he would spend the effort into helping people that he spends in whining and complaining there would be no issue.

The only complaining message i need to make are because of you... All the rest are to share knowledge with respectable members... that are 99.99% of the members here Imagine... you are the only 0.01% !!!

Do you see now how ridiculous you are?

Beavinator said:
I know that because hes been here longer than me all his little followers will jump to his defence but thats fine.

Before bugging me,
With the BAD attitude you have Did you asked you IF someone would loose his time making that for you?....

Beavinator said:
There are so many other people on this forum who dont have a huge ass ego who are 100 times more helpful and knowledgable than doc such as icecube57, lyen, methods ,justin etc

I can ensure you that as long as you will not bug them like you did with me, they might answer you... There is alot of people here who sent me comments about you about how surprized they are about patience i have with you and they all wonder why i continued answering your questions so many times!

Wanna pay that card?? Ok.. so please, icecube57, lyen, methods ,justin.. could you answer about that :

-How many Pm did Beavinator sent you in the last two months?

-What is his contribution for the ebike crowd ?

-Did you ever suggested him to use the search engine of google or E-S ?

If someone else here think i have an ego like Beavinator is claiming, please could you comment on that here?

This is not me who ask for any kind of ego .. This is what people choose to give me.
The thousand of hours i spend helping people, making video, testing ebike part in my lab, etc is my contribution.
My ego is the size of the respect i deserve in regard of the appreciations, comments and all the time i spend for ebike evolution. I have respect for the ebike crowd and E-S members.

Sorry, but with less than 190 posts mainly about questions... you are not the right size to win this debate

Maybe we should remind you that Tue Aug 17, 2010 AND ASKING ANS ASKING ANS ASKING!!!........

You are far lower level from many other great people here with no more than 10 posts and just sharing their knowledge and interesting stuff!!

Now.. ask you this: How can i contribute to really help the E-S!

Beavinator said:
Because of those people I have an amazing understanding of e-bikes and I really want to thank them for all their help. Now that I have a good understanding if somebody messages me I have no problem with helping them at all.
Are you really sure you wanna debate on that?.... and compare?

Beavinator said:
" I realize that the search function on here is sometimes not the greatest and I have no problem helping somebody new to the hobby. Thats how the hobby grows. As for bitching about taking up space in my mailbox I know that it takes 2 seconds to clear it. God doc I think you need a real problem in your life! I think this whole big deal about using the pm function is absolutely retarded.
[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Nobody appreciate having flood of their PM box by somebody why have no limit!

Let me give you one last advice:

If you want to get respect and help form the E-S

USE RESPECT and stop bugging people who already helped you too much!

Personally i dont think you have the right attitude that deserve respect form us.

you need to grow up!

Doc

Doc....please don't less this stop you from your awesome threads.

I can imagine how pm's can build up from lots of members contacting you for help. Peple should remember that expert advice usually costs lots of money, the Doc must give up a lot of time answering them.

Maybe have a standard reply Doc? A reply that points them to the FAQ but have after it that if people are still in need of help then to consider pm'ing again.

Don't let it stress you out too much :wink:

Hi Doc,

Well said, I seriously doubt that he as help someone here, .... in French we have something for people like him "aide un cochon pis il va chier sur ton perron" :lol:

This sentence is perfect for this kid, you have done an amazing job as contributor to this forum and you still do it, i'm proud of you my friend :wink: good day and take care!

Black Arrow

myself in an earlier thread said:
Experts should not waste time answering nooB questions, especially via PM.

NooBs can be helped in the open forum by less experienced members, so experts can keep pushing the envelope.

Experts: Just say no. If basic answers are given via PM, they will not be available for search in the open forum. Here is a polite reply to keep in your PM drafts:
Code:
Hi, 
Your question would be better asked in the open forum where it can be answered by any number of members. Other members with questions like yours will be able to find the answer there too.

Again:

NooBs: use the search and ask in the open forum (we all started the same way). If your questions merit expert attention, they will participate.

Spacey said:
Maybe have a standard reply Doc? A reply that points them to the FAQ but have after it that if people are still in need of help then to consider pm'ing again.

Hm... if only we had FAQs ;)

neptronix said:
Hm... if only we had FAQs ;)
Dude... Just start a thread: "What questions/answers should go in an ES FAQ?"

Then, you can distill the contributions into something comprehensive.

I agree that (if there are to be FAQs) there should be a FAQ at the top of each section, with an intro (including using search FIRST ) and section-relevant FAQs.

Well if i am going to start putting work into making FAQs ( or even ask what should be in them ) then i would like to have an idea of whether or not a section will actually be implemented.

The reason i have not done what you have suggested is that i have got a lot of resistance every time i bring up the idea of making a FAQ section.

Well at least you are on board for the FAQs section idea too.

YPedal, sorry to cause a stink about this; i just think it's really important.

If anyone is really interested in setting up an FAQ thread, it would be a good idea to look at the toyota pickup section on pirate4x4 as a model. It's pretty slick. Information is alphabetized with some info directly in the faq and links to threads for specifics and discussions. The whole point of an FAQ thread is that it doesn't get garbled up with discussion.

There's something to be said about putting up with the searching and sifting through discussions if you have the time though. By doing that, I got answers to questions that I didn't even know I had :wink:

As far as PM's go, I have a rule. If it's a PM asking a question that could easily be answered by a search, PM's from people I don't like, too many pm's from someone, I won't even reply. I've never had to implement my rule yet though.

I totally agree, a solid FAQ would be most awsome, making a good quality FAQ however.. .is very difficult !!

I can create and sticky a post in each section, you could copy/paste or link information as you see fit, and allow replies and corrections to be posted for a given time, then clean it up and lock it.. ( can be un-locked to edit, add, etc info at any time.. )

I started something like that for the Forum Rules a while back, it turned into a long discussion that itself presents a sort of forum etiquette how-to...

Time... need.. more... time camptain..

Ypedal said:
I totally agree, a solid FAQ would be most awsome, making a good quality FAQ however.. .is very difficult !!

I can create and sticky a post in each section, you could copy/paste or link information as you see fit, and allow replies and corrections to be posted for a given time, then clean it up and lock it.. ( can be un-locked to edit, add, etc info at any time.. )

I started something like that for the Forum Rules a while back, it turned into a long discussion that itself presents a sort of forum etiquette how-to...

Time... need.. more... time camptain..

It is indeed, easier said than done.
We need more than 1 FAQ thread though, as there is a lot to cover.

1 person needs to be delegated, for sure. And the comments period is a good idea, definitely.

I think what needs to happen is that the ES gods pick a committee of people who are willing/able to write said FAQs.
Me, Auraslip, and a few others have already raised hands.

I won't be offended if I am not picked; i just want to see the project happen. I am willing to either coordinate it or provide input. I've been on many car forums and have seen how FAQs should be done, and have written some as well. It just doesn't matter to me how it is done as long as the FAQs are useful.

neptronix said:
Well at least you are on board for the FAQs section idea too.

Not exactly... The case has not been made that the same questions keep getting asked.

That's why I suggest a thread be started to get a sense of the need.

So here it is:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26439

We need to set this up to be as little word for Ypedal and other moderators. They need their time to be doing moderator stuff.

I suggested a FAQ in each section so that different questions might be filed in the appropriate subforum.

We need to do this within the system that currently exists (threads etc) so that no new work is required to set it up.

It would be ideal to have a "FAQ id" that could be given out to people committed to writing a part.

Then there need be only one shared ID and password that would not disappear if someone left.

Ypedal's got my drift, start the thread, leave it open for a bit for discussion/errors, then lock it.

Mod only unlocks for new info, their involvement is minimal.

The list of que will be big, that's why I suggested one per subforum.

Subforum: Non-Hub Motors

New Thread Title: "Frequently Asked Questions about Non-Hub Motors for Electric bikes"

(to be written by Matt Shumaker)

(unless of course he's busy, then I'll do it, hack job though it may be)

It is implementable immediately, and although a bit kludgy, it will work.

Hmm?

Katou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back