Call to all Australian e-bike enthusiasts!

powerdog69

1 mW
hi fellow e-bike enthusiasts, I was thinking that the 200w power limit in Australia is bull. And I think that we should do something about it. Now that the Australian government has changed, its time for some change on bike power laws. e-vehicles will play a very big role in clean future transport. I'm very keen to get a discussion going on how to best go about changing these ridiculous and misinformed laws.

cheers

I just can't see this happening. Sure we might get an increase to 300W or a speed restriction, but changing it dramatically just doesn't seem high on the priority list right now. Yes, the law is bull and outdated (I think it comes from the days of bikes with petrol assists), however it's likely we're just going to have to live with it.

Just tell them that America allows 750 watts at the federal government level.

You don't want to be second best to America do you?

:lol:

Only in military extremism, mass shootings, religious fundamentalism, carbon emissions, and basketball, are we second best to anything in the US.

And we are now starting on the path to fixing our carbon emissions, unlike the US.

Ok, ebike laws too, you win. :wink:

I'll see if I can get the Greens to do some lobbying, just need to find out who to talk to. May as well make my membership pay, so to speak :)

We need to get Rudd onto a 200w Ebike and then chuck him on a 750w ebike and get him to ride to work one day.

the best way to do this would be to enlist something like Bicycles Australia (or canberra if they have one) to lobby it.

Either way its not enough of a problem to change the laws.

the 200w limit is pissweak, its SAFER to have a higher powered bike. I can use my power (running 2400w+) to accelerate me out of dangerous situations!

i think we'd have more chance creating a new "moped" class of bikes that had to be registered for overpowered ebikes, and making them easy to register.

edit: after talking to Rob on this board, the fine is reasonably low for riding an overpowered bike - $135 or so (as long as you have a motorcycle license - which i would highly reccomend getting - the course is very interesting and fun). It makes it worth the risk for riding it (which i say with a grain of salt as i'm a law student and don't think breaking the law is a good thing).

In the 2 or so months i've had my ebike i've already saved $235, so i could easily afford to pay a fine. I've tried to get my bike registered as a motorbike, but got laughted at by vicroads. The best thing to do is just be courteous on the roads, not be stupid and peddle. I've never had a problem. I've also never been stopped (in either my car which is a supra - attracts idiots or on the bike) unless i've been doing something blatently wrong. Contrary to popular opinion unless you're causing trouble, its fairly unlikely that you'll have police issues (you'd have to really annoy a police officer or do something stupid like lane split traffic then blow a red light while almost hitting pedestrians)

...as long as you have a motorcycle license...

I don't, I can't ride a stinkbike, have no stinkbike to learn on, and no desire to learn to ride a stinkbike.

The learners test is a no brainer, the P's test is fairly easy to pass - if you're comfortable on a MTB on singletracks you won't have a problem with a motey.

if you do a course like at Hart (honda australia rider training) and do the 2 day course you'll find it really easy. - I did it, and didn't have my own bike at the time. Borrowed one from a mate for 5 days before the p's test
passed no problems.

Probably would have passed without borrowing it. (and note you can always hire a bike too hehe).

Some friends and I were talking about the laws regarding this stupid 200W restriction on bikes the other night.

And this thread is right.... We need to do something about it. The most convincing point that one of my friends put across was that now that the government has changed sides... and we've signed the Kyoto thingy, then the government really has an incentive to cut emissions. Yeah, it' not going to make a huge difference to the amount of pollution that the power stations etc pump out.... in fact it might mean more brown coal needs to be burnt to recharge our batteries every night. But it's still a step in the right drection.

We would have been pushing SH#T up hill trying to get the Liberals to change any laws because there's not really much in the way of taxing on an E-Bike, and I don't think the emissions targets were quite so hard to achieve. Labour however now have a target that they absolutely have to meet (and I'm sure there are penalties for them if they don't), so we came to the conclusion that they could quite possibly be more willing to do something about it. Plus Peter Garrett is partly our environment minister.

A change to 750W would be an awesome thing.... but even if it was changed to 500W I think we'd be doing a lot of people a favour... including ourselves. I've got a 500 watter at the moment and it's not that bad. I built one for each of my folks who live out in the country and it means that they can get up the hills that they otherwise never would, and they actually enjoy going out on their bikes again. I know for a fact that a 200W motor is only any good on a flat road, but 500W will give you enough assistance to get up some pretty steep stuff, and at the same time an unfit person can still get some excercise.

I also have my own 1.5kW and 2kW bikes, and yeah the 500W bikes feel a lot slower.... But they're a hell of a lot safer for a kid or an inexperienced adult to ride. Most pushbike frames, rims and brakes aren't designed to go much over 40km/h and that's why at higher speeds with a heavy back or front wheel and batteries on board they can resonate and the speed wobbles will start. Not to mention the additional structural stresses that may be placed on a cheap bike. The geometries are also no good for those kinds of speeds.

A good example is one of my bikes that runs and X5 motor and has a top speed of around 65km/h and has Vee-Brakes. I had an incident once when the front rim was worn across the braking surface, and while I was aware of it, I chose to keep riding it flat out. I was riding at about 60km/h and just as I touched the front brake, the heat and tyre pressure caused the side of the rim to blow out. This left me with no tyre, a destroyed rim, and no front brakes..... and at the same time I was still travelling at 60km/h. Luckily I didn't crash, but I did come close... and in amongst cars it would have been a nasty one.

Push bikes are not designed for this kind of thing. You can get away with it, but if your maintenance isn't thorough, sooner or later someones gonna get hurt. That's not to say that it couldn't happen without a motor on board, but the odds go way up when you're doing those speeds because you can go fast everywhere... not just down a hill. It would mean a total new range or much better quality control of bikes designed for this type of application.

To allow bikes with more than 750W to be on the road with other cars is asking for trouble. Can you imagine a 12 year old jumping on a bike like that and riding around on the streets? Dangerous.

Much over 750W and I can see a lot of people either breaking bikes or getting hurt or both.

I think the limit should be increased, but I can see why they don't increase it, and I can see what could happen if they did. I don't think that more than 750W on a standard chinese bike would be a responsible move.

One thing that I've noticed when riding my higher powered bikes around is that some cyclists on conventional bikes don't like them. I've noticed that there are a large amount of people on bicycles that are what you would call purists. They tend to believe that a bike is a bike and the whole reason that you ride one is to get fit so an electric motor has no place on a bike. I'm sure that we all have many different arguments to a comment like that, but I know quite a few people in the push bike industry and I've taken a lot of notice of their reactions... even after test riding my bike. A lot of them think it's really cool.... but they don't want one. So I thin Bicycle Victoria might take a little convincing because of that.

As for the fines for riding an over powered bike, I think it goes something like this.... If you're over 200W then your bike needs to be registered and the rider licenced.... So technically it is a motorcycle. The fine for riding an overpowered motorcycle bike is $135... providing it is registered and you have a licence.... But the fine for riding an unregistered motorcycle is about $240 from memory..... So I'd say you're more likely to be fined for an unregistered motorcycle. On top of that, if you don't have a licence, then there's an additional couple of hundred bucks for riding without a licence. If you do have a licence but it's been suspended or cancelled for whatever reason, then you're riding an unregistered motorbike on a cancelled licence... which becomes a serious offence and you end up in court and most likely with a suspended jail sentence or something (if your licence had already been cancelled for drink driving or speeding). Then you have to wear an approved motorbike helmet.... and if you've ever tried exerting yourself in a motorbike helmet, you'll know how much this can suck...... If you hit a pedestrian on a bike path or footpath with an unregistered motorbike and a cancelled licence or even no licence.... You're in a lot of trouble because I don't think there's any kind of TAC (Insurance) cover for you or the pedestrian... andif either of you end up in a wheelchair or something then who's going to sue who??? and who's gonna win?? The pedestrian..... If you hit another car on the road.... you're still on an unregistered motorcycle with no licence.

Dirtbikers can get what's called Recreation Registration (Rec Reg) which covers them if they're out in the dirt and hurt themselves.... They still need a licence for this though... Small scooters have a registration fee of less than $100 per year. Which covers their TAC fees for the year. The thing with motorbikes and scooters however is that they have to pass ADRs (Australian Design Rules) before they can be sold to be ridden on a public road. The ADR's are what they use to regulate what is and isn't safe on our roads. So to get registration the bikes would need to pass some sort of cross the board check of their components. It'll never happen. There are far too many biycle components around and they couldn't keep tabs on it all. All these Chinese and other imported bikes and bits would need to be checked, crash tested etc etc.... And that still won't filter out some kind of dodgy bike that an inexperienced DIYer could make.

I am of course talking about worst case scenarios here, and we are only talking about 750W, but and as a keen motorcyclist with bikes that have outputs above 150kW, ex push bike and motorbike courier, as well as E-biker, my friends and I have had plenty of experiences with crashing, suspended licences and the law that make me think twice about going crazy on my X5s.... And even then I still ride flat out most of the time. It'll only take a handful of bad accidents (which will happen with DIYers or kids getting hold of their dads bikes or me) experimenting and they'll stuff it up for the rest of us who are already riding overpowered bikes but might do so responsibly. And if they decide that E-bikes are bad, they'll increase the fines and they'll also make life hard for us. They'll do things like making it compulsory to have the output stamped on your motor, or some sort of compulsory stamp on your controller...That kind of thing. Not that it would be that hard to change.... but they'll find some way to make it hard.

I did read somewhere the other day that scooter sales quadrupled this year and there is talk of allowing scooters to ride in bicycle lanes in the CBD areas. So if they're considering that, then we may have a chance of swaying their opinions our way.

It's a tricky topic because we want to keep riding our bikes, and there's definitely a future for them. It's a logical step and to everyones advantage to increase the limit and get more of these things out and about, but I think there are a lot of scenarios or probabilities that need to be considered.

There are a lot of different approaches that we could take.

Possibly some sort of provisional registration (like $50 a year) which might force you to have a headlight, brake light, indicators and rear view mirror on your bike (which is relatively easy) might work, and some sort of provisional licence that will allow you to operate a bike below a certain output. (something quick and easy like basic road rules that can be tested at the local cop station or Vic Roads office). Maybe some sort of minimum age requirement. Or even just a simple speed limit for E-bikes.

Again we're only talking about 750W or less and this is probably OK for most bikes and riders to handle but I think the idea of paying taxes is to protect the community from baddies and also protect them from themselves. This how I think a politician will approach such a proposal if it were presented to him/her.

My prediction is that the roads will go haywire with E-Bikes over the next few years because they are now at a level where they can be fast, reliable, and cheap to operate, and as traffic congestion, emissions targets, and fuel prices increase the goverenment is going to be forced to do something about it. Accidents will happen, and people will get hurt.

It's probably better than we go to the politicians first and get it sorted out beforehand, rather than wait till they come to us with some crazy schemes and laws that we probably won't like. It's harder to work against them and change the laws once they've been passed. So I think now is the time to approach them with a safe and sensible proposal.

So what do we do?

I'm willing to build a 500W or 750W bike to give to the prime minister or some other dude in a suit to ride around for a day and see the advantages.

Mark sounds pretty motivated..... Anyone else got any ideas?

i have to say i agree - I have a motorcycle license and i'm a lot safer on the roads because of it. I'd highly recommend all power ebike riders to get theirs. The training is really good.

It doesn't have to be a full motorcycle licence, just something that shows that you understand the rules of the road and the rules for bicycles. Just something anyone with half an idea could pass. And if they fail. They can still pedal their normal pushie.

getadirtbike said:
It doesn't have to be a full motorcycle licence, just something that shows that you understand the rules of the road and the rules for bicycles. Just something anyone with half an idea could pass. And if they fail. They can still pedal their normal pushie.

What i was trying to suggest was that the training was good - and available now, I wasn't making a comment on what prospective e-bike regulation should become.

Big H,

I agree with you there. I got my motorbike licence long before they did the rider training thing. A few of my friends work for HART and various other training places. And I think it's a good idea that they make those courses compulsory.

An E-bike test one might be a token gesture but I think somehow it would help.

:)

I did my rider training at Hart :)

excellent training

Hi John :)

We have to catch up - I think you were at the retarding basin on Thursday staring in amazement at the 2m of water over the bridge - next to the guy I sit next to at work. He pointed out your bike in the photos on your website.

I have heard a number of times that lobbying is going on to get the power limit lifted a bit higher, but I have no idea by who (?)

My bike has a "350w" labelled controller, which is also 18 amps. So, 54x18=972w. But it's not when you plug it into the simulators, it's in the 400-500w range, and I honestly think that it should be around the upper limit, so 500w or so.

I'm hoping to get it dyno'd at Monash Uni by FullOn (Daryl).

I'd be happy with indicators, lights, horn and a nominal rego. Let's face it, most of the "legal" kits are over the limit anyway, the limit is USELESS.

(And we better explain for any furreniers that the outgoing Liberal government was actually the Conservative party in Aussie politics, despite the name. We actually have a saying small-L-liberal to mean the same as the rest of the world's usage. The new government is Labor, and the very first thing that they did, on about day 3 of government, was ratify Kyoto.)

Mark

Ooops, there's Santa, better go sneak a peek at the reindeer:)
Speaking of which, my 4 year old daughter asked "Is Santa REALLY REALLY REAL??" tonight while I read her a story...what am I supposed to say? "Yes" and lie outright to her. "No" and break her heart? I mumbled something incoherent and went on with the story. Talk about a moral dilemma...

Mark,

If I ever get any free time over the next few weeks, we should probably talk about it. Would be good to get some other "constructive" opinions from here and see what people think.

We are all aware that the 200W law sucks, but I'd like to hear worthwhile suggestions on how we can get it changed.

That was probably me the other day. I did ride through there trying to find a ride across the creek that became a river. Didn't think the bike was waterproof enough for that though.

getadirtbike said:
... we should probably talk about it. Would be good to get some other "constructive" opinions from here and see what people think.
Santa is real. I saw him at the store.

:mrgreen:

I'm not an Aussie, but thought you all might like some information from your own country.

some years ago, one of your top Universities, Monash I think, ran a big Ebike test/study.

That study is posted around in differnt places, one being at yahoo power assist files,
"Power Assisted Bicycles Final Report Monash Uni.pdf
Australian Electric Bike Report"

http://tinyurl.com/28tknb
but I think you might have to join that group.

(Iam kinda new here at endless sphere and dont have the skills or priveleges to bring the file over here. hopefully some one will)

any way it is a great report, about 40 pdf pages, with lots of references, charts, etc, and talks about the power limit. One section even mentions that ebikes are healthier than regular bikes, they say, becasue maximum heart rate is more manageable. Persoanlly I think an ebike is healtheir because more people will use them and they get more "smiles per mile" as we say in the Kingdom of Bush.

And I agree, especially now with petro costing what it does, decent ebikes available for not too much money, AND some nice ones being put together down under.

The Canadians seem to have a nice law, 500w, and the right number of KpH top speed?

Dick from colorado USA

Deardancer3,

I'm not sure if anyone else can view the file but I can't open the link.

It sounds like a very handy file to have if anyone's going to make an attempt and chaning things here. Plus the study was done by a well known melbourne university which will have some sort of relevance.

The Canadian model of a speed and power limit sounds pretty good. I also agree with the statement about more poeple using them. It makes riding a bike fun again. Not everyone rides them for fitness, but the fitness does come when you're riding one. So if people get out and have fun and they can improve their fitness at the same time, there's not really any negative side to it all.

At the moment the cops or anyone else is going to have a really hard time proving what the output of your e-bike actually is. I can't see them pulling a dyno out of the car and dynoing your bike on the side of the road. And a well trained non powered cyclist can still reach 50 or 60km/h, so I'm not sure how they keep tabs on who's riding what, and if they really bother using a radar detector to hassle a pushbike, but I'd be interested to know.

getadirtbike said:
Deardancer3,
I'm not sure if anyone else can view the file but I can't open the link.

It sounds like a very handy file to have if anyone's going to make an attempt and chaning things here. Plus the study was done by a well known melbourne university which will have some sort of relevance.

It may be that you have to be a member of yahoo power assist to get to teh file; quite a few peopleher are; but I will look for another source.

http://tinyurl.com/28tknb

might work -- no promises

dickl

I know the paper you are linking to - you have to be a member of the Power Assist Yahoo group to download it from there.

Turns out it was co-written by a very good friend of my father's. Small world.

If anyone wants to read it, PM me and I'll e-mail it to you (copyright be damned!).

CAn you send it to me and I'll be happy to host this file on my site.

not jump your subject here , but i am just amazed at how restrictive the ebike is in Australia. Im sure that once the ebike becomes more popular in the US the government will find ways to screw it up the way your law is on ebikes or worse. I sure hope you all can get together and change the watt law for the better.
butch

Looks like there are now several ways to view this great study, see several previous postings.

And actually, it is a good resource for all ebikers who have to fight the "You are cheating " mantra.

(this study disappeared for a while, but The University of Monash sent me a copy around 2006 and said it was fine to make it available as long as every one got their credits, Ok to use extracts, but no modifications; I hope I can find that letter)

At the time the study was performed, I dont think we had the huge run-up in petro prices yet.

Does Aussie have any of the traffic and air pollution problems famous in the U.S.? Are you having the Diabetes epedimic like we are, mainly from obesity? Heart disease?

Dick

I have a copy of the Monash Study. The results are endorsed by Bicycle Victoria, who (I think), more than happy to support our desire for an increase in limits.
However, if you read the report in its entirety, you will see that their recommendation is an increase in power levels to 300 w, but with a corresponding restriction on speed. without having the paper in front of me, I also believe that they recommend a power cut out system, similar to that used in the UK?, that cuts the power at a pre-determines speed, so you only get assist up to the recommended maximum speed. Not sure what the max speed was, maybe 25 kph? Certainly not above 30 kph.
I also think that they were recommending a PAS system, so that you have to pedal for the motor to engage.
So before we get all gung ho, think about what we could lose, before we start thinking in terms of having extra power. We might find that we could become over regulated and working withing tighter constraints than we have now.
Yes, technically we are all riding unregistered motor vehicles, but we do have the advantage that EV power is essentially quiet, and doesn't draw undue attention to ourselves. (unlike noisy petrol powered machines. Remember what happened to pocket bikes, and how quickly they were 'outlawed')
If we continue to behave responsibly, and within the spirit of the law, but maybe not the letter of the law, then it should be possible to fly under the radar, without being subject to a conviction.
After all, we have bigger problems on our roads than a handful of e-bike enthusiasts who like a bit more power than the bog standard 200 watts!
My personal preference in this situation is do nothing. Things will naturally change as EV's start becoming more mainstream and an acceptable form of transport.
At the moment we are cutting edge, and on the periphery of what is considered to be normal modes of commuting.
Just my 0.02. Rob

Back