Call to all Australian e-bike enthusiasts!

Hi all...

the report is avaliable here.

http://in2events.com/images/stories/random/powerassistreport.pdf

let me know if you have any issues.

thanks.

Great thread!

The Monash report looks like a great read.....will get to it this arvo I hope!

Here are some thoughts to add to the mix:

My gut feeling is that any increase beyond 500 watts is unlikely and that if the limit is raised there would be a speed restriction coupled to it - probably in the mid 30km/h range. Anything beyond 45km/h is getting dangerous because of all the reasons detailed in the discussion of ADR's. Pushbikes, generally, just aren't up to the job if operated continuously at higher speeds.

getadirtbike said:
Yeah, it' not going to make a huge difference to the amount of pollution that the power stations etc pump out.... in fact it might mean more brown coal needs to be burnt to recharge our batteries every night. But it's still a step in the right drection.

Everyone who has access to green electricity should be using it.

Peter Garrett would be a good person to get on board and the team at Suitable Transport an ideal conduit to get his attention. He was involved with their E-bike ride from Melbourne to Sydney.

http://www.suitabletransport.com/

Mark_A_W said:
Speaking of which, my 4 year old daughter asked "Is Santa REALLY REALLY REAL??" tonight while I read her a story...what am I supposed to say? "Yes" and lie outright to her. "No" and break her heart? I mumbled something incoherent and went on with the story. Talk about a moral dilemma...

Santa is really really real if you believe in him. The minute you stop believing......

I have a copy of the Monash Study. The results are endorsed by Bicycle Victoria, who (I think), more than happy to support our desire for an increase in limits.

Great news

I also believe that they recommend a power cut out system, similar to that used in the UK?, that cuts the power at a pre-determines speed, so you only get assist up to the recommended maximum speed. Not sure what the max speed was, maybe 25 kph? Certainly not above 30 kph.

I also think that they were recommending a PAS system, so that you have to pedal for the motor to engage.

Sounds fair enough but with PAS, does that mean if you have an injury or slightly dodgy knee you can't operate one?

So before we get all gung ho, think about what we could lose, before we start thinking in terms of having extra power. We might find that we could become over regulated and working withing tighter constraints than we have now.
Yes, technically we are all riding unregistered motor vehicles, but we do have the advantage that EV power is essentially quiet, and doesn't draw undue attention to ourselves. (unlike noisy petrol powered machines. Remember what happened to pocket bikes, and how quickly they were 'outlawed')

I do agree with this. The advantage ofhaving pedals is that you're not as easily noticed and can ride through parks etc without raising an eyebrow.

However. I think the issue with pocket bikes is the amount of kids that were hooning around on them with no helmets, no regard for road rules, and riding them on footpaths. I think they were somewhat illegal to be on the road before they actually banned them. That's where some sort of provisionary licence could come in to effect. Or at least rules for E-bikes pertaining to their use on footpaths and other pedestrian areas, or maybe just an age restriction on E-bikes.

When the pocket bikes became more popular, they had no choice but to ban them... they are real cheap and even kids can buy them with their pocket money. There were deals where you could get 5 for $300 each etc etc, so of course. But when the cops decided that the situation was out of control, they simply put a blanket ban on all of them. To try and change that law back so they could be somehow ridden on the road would be a very hard thing to do now that the law is in place. This is why I think getting in first with some sort of responsible approach would be of an advantage in the long run.

If we continue to behave responsibly, and within the spirit of the law, but maybe not the letter of the law, then it should be possible to fly under the radar, without being subject to a conviction.
After all, we have bigger problems on our roads than a handful of e-bike enthusiasts who like a bit more power than the bog standard 200 watts!

There's always a few bad apples who aren't going to act responsibly... and that's going to stuff it up for everyone. A few accidents involving cars will tarnish their image. Car drivers don't like pushbike riders as it is.

As I've mentioned 2 of my Ebikes will do over 65km/h and if you're going down a hill you can get pretty close to 80km/h. Once my next lot of batteries arrive I'll be looking at well over 80km/h on the flat. Where do we draw the line between a bit more, and a lot more above 200W??

500W 32km/h sounds reasonable. It's not always about top speed so a torquier set up for hills can be good.

These are just my thoughts. I'm open to debating the points with anyone and everyone. I might have my head in the clouds. So if people agree or disagree then I'd love to hear it.

Timbo said:
getadirtbike said:
Yeah, it' not going to make a huge difference to the amount of pollution that the power stations etc pump out.... in fact it might mean more brown coal needs to be burnt to recharge our batteries every night. But it's still a step in the right drection.

Everyone who has access to green electricity should be using it.

Peter Garrett would be a good person to get on board and the team at Suitable Transport an ideal conduit to get his attention. He was involved with their E-bike ride from Melbourne to Sydney.

Yes very true - give it a couple of years though and the nano solar pannels will be everywhere. I really hope they can ramp up production - $1USD per W makes it very easy to charge our bikes using solid state technology.

I'd love to put up a wind turbine, but i live at my parents place, and where i'm moving to is inner city - not easy to erect a large turbine. bring on the cheap solar!

I think you will need about 350 watts (at the wheel) for a 180lb rider with a 60 lb bike (bike, batteries, motor and groceries) to go up a 6% grade at 10mph.

If the average rider is capable of putting out 125 watts continuous, and a good chain drive motor is about 80% efficient, with a motor of 200w- you are still about 80 watts short of motor power to maintain the 10mph.
http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

Raise the rider weight 20 lbs, the bike grocery load 20 lbs, reduce rider output to 100w, and you are 180 watts short at the 200watt limit on power.

so, maybe 400 watt motors would be a better maximum for motors.

As far as having access to ebikes that could actually help with the problem, the 500w max would mean Aussie's and Canadians could share suppliers.

Somewhat related questions :

Does the Government of Australia view having products made in Aussie as a high priority?

Do you all have diabetes and heart problems as a big deal? do you have traffic and air pollution problems in the cities?

dick

I got you with the 350 watts...then you started using US/Imperial units and lost me..the rest of the world is metric you know ;)

Yes we have traffic problems in the cities...well, Melbourne and SYDNEY anyway, flame suit on LOL. Both Melbourne and Sydney have one million passenger cars commuting every work day, 90% with one occupant. Sydney is therefore less car dependant as it has a larger population.

No we don't have Beijing/Mexico City style smog problems, although Melbourne sure can get smoggy on occasion.

Yes, as a rule we are a bunch of fat, lazy, unhealthy pigs driving SUVs. The stereotypical American would fit right in...

I've gotten surprisingly fit since I started riding my E-bike for an hour a day, 5 days a week. My beer gut is gone, and I look like I'm 20 again (well, kind off). I've never been fat, but there had been some deterioration over the last 14 years...too many beers!

i completely agree with you there... since i started ebiking to work... i've learnt to appreciate my surroundings more than I used to.

Also I've noticed that my stamina has gotten back to the levels I had in uni (prior to me working full time). I haven't noticed any fat loss but I've only been ebiking for like 2 weeks straight now. Although I have noticed that my bank balance for travelling around is way way more healthier.... although this is going to take a hit over the next few weeks as some big upgrades are planned for my bike.

As for Melbourne / Sydney being congested... I completely agree with you there. Traffic gets really bad and at one stage a 24km trip took around 1 hour and 30 mins... ridiculous isn't it! It's worse when you do it in a 2 door sports car daily (I drive a Toyota Supra - which has been promoted to a weekend driver!).

From now on... ebiking for me is the way to go... even if its raining, i can ebike to the train station and catch the train to work... no biggie there! :)

BiGH said:
Yes very true - give it a couple of years though and the nano solar pannels will be everywhere. I really hope they can ramp up production - $1USD per W makes it very easy to charge our bikes using solid state technology.

I'd love to put up a wind turbine, but i live at my parents place, and where i'm moving to is inner city - not easy to erect a large turbine. bring on the cheap solar!

I have building plans for a subdivision sitting with Council at the moment - by this time next year (cost blowouts permitting :shock: I'll have grid connected solar to supply all my needs. Thanks for the Nano tip Hayden - maybe I should wait a while 'till their supply is ramped up....

There are some great turbines coming onto the market designed specifically for urban use - check put the article in ReNew (issue 101 Oct-Dec '07) page32.

Well,

I just spent the last 1/2 hour reading through that report. It kinda seems to me that they've done most of the work for us.

I still think that 500W and 32km/h is a sensible and safe way to go.

Anyone got any other suggestions??

What do we do from here?

getadirtbike said:
Well,

I just spent the last 1/2 hour reading through that report. It kinda seems to me that they've done most of the work for us.

I still think that 500W and 32km/h is a sensible and safe way to go.

Anyone got any other suggestions??

What do we do from here?

Given that 32km/hr is achievable with a 200 watt motor, I'm not sure that there's a great deal to be gained at all - flying under the radar might be the best bet for those that want to.

That said, and as a 200 watter, I'd personally like to see a higher cut out speed - say around 40-45km/h - which just won't happen with the current restrictions.

I'd be interested to know if there's any current data on demographics - the report suggests that most e-bikers in this country are male & over 50. I think that with the stealthy options that are comming onto the market there'll be a shift to a younger user. I also think that that shift would happen more quickly - as would the uptake of e-bikes generally, if the limit(s) were increased.

A good starting point would be to get in touch with the authors of the report to see if any further studies have been undertaken in the last few years. How close a friend of your Dad is this guy Mark?

Well, my Dad died years ago, but I can still ask - I'll have to cut out the middleman, so to speak..

Given that 32km/hr is achievable with a 200 watt motor, I'm not sure that there's a great deal to be gained at all - flying under the radar might be the best bet for those that want to.

I do agree with this in a way. But 500W speed limited to 32km/h is still a hell of a lot better than 200W speed limitied to 32km/h. It doesn't make sense to some people, and it's difficult to explain.

That said, and as a 200 watter, I'd personally like to see a higher cut out speed - say around 40-45km/h - which just won't happen with the current restrictions.

I think we can all agree that a higher cut out speed would be better.

As for us overpowered people flying under the radar.

I think by simply having more E-bikes around we'd have a better chance of not being noticed. Perhaps we should be aiming for 40-45km/h. At least if we were to propose 45km/h we'd have a little bit of room to bargain.

This SMH article on Segways mentions Ebikes:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/segway-test-ride-a-mock-horse/2008/01/02/1198949941691.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2

I'm going to e-mail the consultant who's mentioned and ask her for advice. I Google her name and found lots of stuff.

I also found this:

http://www.pigswillfly.com.au/?p=1130

I have read through this thread and a couple of things have come to mind. Here in the US, the top speed is 20mph which is the same as 32kmh if I am not mistaken. To me that seems like a reasonable top speed for a 'bicycle'. It is my understanding that in the US, a bike with 750w or less and a top speed is treated the same as a standard bicycle. That seems like fair and reasonable limits for something to be pretty much unregulated. Above that we have moped laws, which I believe require registration but not a motorcycle license. Then we have motorcycles. I think it would be in your best interest to try and establish a higher base limit for bicycles and then also work the other higher things into a tiered system. That way you can still have bikes that are higher powered, but still not full motorcycles, and you would get more watts for better assist up hills like was mentioned earlier.
As far as getting the government involved, it seems to me like you should try and do a promotional/media push. Lobby to get Rudd (I think that is who you guys mentioned) to do a 'Green Awareness' promotion. It would look good on his political resume to actively do something to work towards environmental awareness and not just talk. People tend to like/listen to politicians who put their money where their mouth is, so to speak. Convince him to ride an EV bike to work for a week. There can be tons of media exposure, great political PR. The important thing would be to make him ride the legal limit and then allow him to ride a slightly modified one. I'm not sure which way would make a stronger statement in his mind. Either let him ride a legal one for a week, get used to the power, and then at the end let him ride a modified one and see how much better they can be. Or to have him start off on a modified one, let him get used to the power, and then take it away and make him ride a legal one for a week.
Like I mentioned, you would have to Lobby him for this. But it seems the key would be to convince him that this is a great political PR move for him. People in general, but politicians especially, are more open to doing things if it makes them look good, rather then it just being the right thing to do.
As far as riding within your current system and having an overpowered bike, it seems to me like it shouldn't be that hard to hide the fact that you have an overpowered bike. Granted, I am new to ebikes (actually don't even have one yet :lol:) but I do have a long history of racing, and racing, for the most part, is all about cheating and not getting caught. There is a racing class where the hp has a max limit. There is a way to have two fuel maps programmed into your electrical system and switch between the two with a flip of a switch. Some guys would run the race on one map (over the hp limit) and then flip the switch on the cool down lap and have the bike dynoed with the lower hp ability. It seems like there should be a relatively simple way to flip a concealed switch to limit the watt output/wheel speed. I know that isn't fixing the problem, but if you are going to be overstepping the limits, it might be a way to protect yourself from fines and or possible jail time.

The switch thing is pretty easy to do. :twisted:

Sometimes referred to as a "dork switch". You switch it when you let other people ride your bike.

So, how about we start doing something?

I know everyone is busy with their lives and I'm one of those people. Jay64 has put across some interesting and quite valid points about the approach. So how are we going to go about getting this ball rolling?

hi all
I Started this post almost a month ago, I have been fairly busy, but have been reading some great reposts and information. We need to lobby this new government and show them that the laws are grossly incorrect. The idea of getting rudd to ride a 200watt bike and a 750watt is awesome. I'm not too sure where to start maybe we could have some sort of meeting with e-bike enthusiasts in Australia and get some sort of media coverage from one of those flaky current affairs shows like a current affair or today tonight. unfortunately they tend to have fairly large audiences. just an idea. if anyone has any other ideas how we can get this thing started.

cheers
powerdog

Is it Rudd that we're trying to approach? Or is it Peter Garret. Seeing as Peter Garret is actually our environment minister, and our best approach is to push the fact that E-bikes are better for the environment, shouldn't we be knocking on his door?

I'm not sure that going on one of those current affairs shows would be overly effective. I 'm a bit concerned that the overwhelming majority of car drivers would be be horrified to know that there are going to be more pushies on the road.

On top of that, it could backflip... I'm sure they'd prefer to do a story on "Renegade E-Bikers Terrorising the Community". It's so cliche'd that I wouldn't put it past them.

But I think giving Mr Garret a 750W E-bike for a week would be a great start. An E-bikers meeting of some sort and a portfolio containing by the Monash study, and possibly a bit of a write up about how the Monash study is a little old now and times are changing... just to see if we can get 750W.... some statistics on how much less fuel/emissions an E-bike would produce on a daily commute, maybe something about the general fitness of the population improving, something from "Cycling Australia" endorsing all of this, and then maybe a petition signed by as maby E-bikers as we can find in Aus.

As I mentioned earlier I'm a very busy person at the moment, but I will supply a brand new retro fitted bike that puts out 750W for Peter Garret to ride for a week. That's my contribution.

Now it's someone elses turn to do their bit 8)

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I'll come to any meetings that anyone arranges.

We've talked about this for a while now.... Shouldn't we start actually making some progress?

we should aim NOT to be on Today Tonight or ACA. its skanky stories for skanky people. i highly doubt government ministers would watch tv let alone either of these trashy shows.

writing and a demonstration of the bikes to the relevant ministers would be ideal.

yeah that was a poor example, those current affair show are terrible. "Electric cowboys taking away the jobs of hard-working white people". but I think we need some media coverage first. governments usually don't change laws unless they think that there is some general interest in the community. some media coverage to get the idea out that 200 W is ridiculous and that ebike's will play a role in cutting greenhouse gas is the first thing. then getting close enough to Peter Garrett to hand him a bike is one thing, secondly him saying what the; goway! maybe we need to first write letters to the Labour government, then have a ebike meeting with possible media coverage, then try to approach the Minister.

cheers

I notice that you are considering lobbying the Federal Government. Although this seems like the right way to go, considering that we are supposed to have consistent road rules across the country, it is actually the State Governments that decide how the Road Rules are applied at state level.
A good example of this, is that in Qld, you can ride a moped on a car license. In Victoria, you need a full motor cycle license. There are other discrepancies, but you get the picture.
I personally think that individuals lobbying the Government, either Federal or State, will have minimal effect. What we would need to do, is to get established organisations on board, that would be prepared to lobby the relevant Governments on our behalf.
We have already seen the sustainable? transport electric bike ride from Sydney to Melbourne. The Monash Uni have already prepared a submission paper, albeit, several years ago.
I would love to see electric assist bikes become even more commonplace in our society, but with uptake of electric bikes as the norm, what would be the cost? (To us!)
Yes, we would see more e-bikes on the road, and I would hope, less cars.
One of the downsides could be what we have already seen in Melbourne. More people on bikes, using a combination of bikes/public transport.
I see that bikes are now banned on the suburban train network! I also see that I cannot take my bike on a country train service arriving in Melbourne at specific times. (Usually when you need to get to work!, and get home again)
Where is the incentive in that? You try and use alternative transport, and find that restrictions are placed on you.
Imagine if you created a section of the community that used a combination of e-bikes and public transport, because of distance? You would overload the train system even more.
the point is? The infrastructures are not in place to support a wholesale change in the way we do things, Even if the change was like, only 1% of commuters, that would make a huge difference in how the infrastructure works.
If you could get people off public transport, and on to e-bikes, then you could have a chance. But then the infrastructure will still need to be in place to handle an increase in bike transport. And somewhere to park/secure your bikes.
On the downside with an uptake in e-bike usage, would be an increase in regulation. How would the Government regulate 1000's of e-bikes zipping around the cities? Probably ban them from bike paths, probably limit the power output(yeah, I know, it already is!), and probably introduce an imposed speed cutout. Bear in mind that the Governments would more likely than not, choose the 'lowest common denominator'
Don't be surprised if all we get out of this would be an EU/UK style of e-bike regulation. I think we are dreaming if we think we could even come close to what is available in the US, or even Canada.
Forget 750 watts, will probably never happen. The powers that be would say, yes, good for a responsible adult, but what would happen if the 15 y/o son took it for a spin at full tilt down the local shopping mall? Riding around totally oblivious to the road rules, as they usually do!
Can you imagine it? No helmet, riding down the footpath, wrong side of the ride, not looking at where they are going, etc, etc. gee, its bad enough on their BMX's, how would it be if they were on a bike that could do 40 kph+?
These are the sort of things that Governments look at. The best we could hope for would be a moderate increase in power levels, and maybe a corresponding limitation on power assisted speed.
If this is what you want, then go for it.
Oh, we do need to change the way we do things, and the way we get around. I think e-bikes are part of the answer. Maybe small neighbourhood electric cars would be a more acceptable part of the answer for short distance commuting, but that's a topic for another thread.................................

I agree with rob here... especially with my job role and daily dealings with people i have to say this.

People in general are conceptually stupid!

yes hate to say it but its true.

how about this for a idea, everyone who uses a ebike up to 750 W, and max speed of 40kpm needs to be over the age of 15 and to pass a basic road rules theory test. it could be a low powered Road licence for ebike's and mopeds. anyone under the age of 15 is not permitted to use an ebike or powered moped.

powerdog

Back