Speedict Ebike - Anybody seen/tried this?

I like the idea of this but dont want to bolt my expensive HTC mobile phone to my handle bars though? would have to find out what the cheapest phone is that you can run the software on and use that instead? seems an expensive way to check your battery status when all you really need is a simple volt meter on the bars like this.

file.php

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29049

Sure I use a watt meter too but dont want to run the power cables to the handle bars, the extra logging ability of this is nice but how often are you going to use that feature? its a nice idea but when you factor in the phone and the dongle its a pretty expensive one, also my battery would be flat on my HTC with the screen on for a couple of hours so I would need a DC-DC converter too! starting to get complicated expensive and bulky :?

knoxie said:
I like the idea of this but dont want to bolt my expensive HTC mobile phone to my handle bars though? would have to find out what the cheapest phone is that you can run the software on and use that instead? seems an expensive way to check your battery status when all you really need is a simple volt meter on the bars like this.

file.php

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29049

Sure I use a watt meter too but dont want to run the power cables to the handle bars, the extra logging ability of this is nice but how often are you going to use that feature? its a nice idea but when you factor in the phone and the dongle its a pretty expensive one, also my battery would be flat on my HTC with the screen on for a couple of hours so I would need a DC-DC converter too! starting to get complicated expensive and bulky :?

i see, some users use this kind of phone for simple features : cost eur 20-30 now ...

Attachments

• java phone.jpg
    java phone.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 3,690
Thanks Danny, that works and I can play with it - it works fine on my cheapo Samsung Intercept as well. I think this is going on the shopping list!

Knoxie, this is more like a CA than a simple battery level indicator. I don't think I would have it on my bars all the time, but I wouldn't want a CA on all the time either. I agree your LED meter is just what the doctor ordered for everyday use., though yours is a little big for my taste....looks great though, love the graphics!

jonathanm said:
Thanks Danny, that works and I can play with it - it works fine on my cheapo Samsung Intercept as well. I think this is going on the shopping list!

Knoxie, this is more like a CA than a simple battery level indicator. I don't think I would have it on my bars all the time, but I wouldn't want a CA on all the time either. I agree your LED meter is just what the doctor ordered for everyday use., though yours is a little big for my taste....looks great though, love the graphics!

hi jonathanm,

do one more test, get one java phone and try transfer file make sure your samsung intercept's bluetooth support file transfer because we use similar method to transfer data, of course i am pretty sure samsung's bluetooth is ok but i was told htc one model's rom has problem and waiting for patch to fix it.

jonathanm said:

My little box is only 65mm by 35mm ? which is a heck of a lot smaller than a mobile phone :mrgreen: I also run a watts up meter as well its just that I dont want the watts up and the cables having to run up to the bars, this is a slick device and will no doubt have its followers but you really only ever need to see your volts? other data is pretty much irrelevant as the battery volts tells you pretty much all you need to know, the other data is nice but not essential :)

knoxie said:
jonathanm said:

My little box is only 65mm by 35mm ? which is a heck of a lot smaller than a mobile phone :mrgreen: I also run a watts up meter as well its just that I dont want the watts up and the cables having to run up to the bars, this is a slick device and will no doubt have its followers but you really only ever need to see your volts? other data is pretty much irrelevant as the battery volts tells you pretty much all you need to know, the other data is nice but not essential :)

you can do little more with a buzzer for low voltage alert by using dirt cheap $1 8 bit mcu even better than wattup watt meter, anyway good work !

i'm new to ebike scene and just finish my conversion. I thinking of getting CA and I found this. Can you set a speed limiter through this app?

gerrydesign said:
i'm new to ebike scene and just finish my conversion. I thinking of getting CA and I found this. Can you set a speed limiter through this app?

we have designed external board or module for ebike device, call governor module provide speed and current limit, low voltage cutoff etc., but would like to delay a little bit because we would like to launch our speed controller first.

Greetings Danny

I just received my Speedict device. :)

Upon cursory inspection I would like to offer a suggestion for the next version:

• The wire gauge going into and out of the unit is 14-AWG. My battery bus is 8-AWG mainly because I have three packs spread across my bike and trailer. The stock gauge coming out of common controllers is 12-AWG, however I am upgrading this to 10-AWG from the PCB to the bus for performance. In addition, the stock gauge of the phase wiring coming out of my hub is 14-AWG, and that too is being upgraded to 12-AWG likewise. It seems to me that 14-AWG is not sufficient for 80V 100A continuous operation (not that I am using that much power, however it is the max specification). Granted my bus is larger than my need, and yet I want the least resistance possible from battery to controller.

For independent comparison, I have a Castle 50V 110A ESC; the wire gauge into and out of the unit is 10-AWG which is reasonable and expected.

Therefore I would ask that you make this adjustment in the next revision. :)

Thank you, KF

Kingfish said:
Greetings Danny

I just received my Speedict device. :)

Upon cursory inspection I would like to offer a suggestion for the next version:

• The wire gauge going into and out of the unit is 14-AWG. My battery bus is 8-AWG mainly because I have three packs spread across my bike and trailer. The stock gauge coming out of common controllers is 12-AWG, however I am upgrading this to 10-AWG from the PCB to the bus for performance. In addition, the stock gauge of the phase wiring coming out of my hub is 14-AWG, and that too is being upgraded to 12-AWG likewise. It seems to me that 14-AWG is not sufficient for 80V 100A continuous operation (not that I am using that much power, however it is the max specification). Granted my bus is larger than my need, and yet I want the least resistance possible from battery to controller.

For independent comparison, I have a Castle 50V 110A ESC; the wire gauge into and out of the unit is 10-AWG which is reasonable and expected.

Therefore I would ask that you make this adjustment in the next revision. :)

Thank you, KF

The answer is yes and no, the point is we have shunt resistor (for measuring current data) value 0.00025 ohms, when high current pass through most of the heats is generated there, therefore when handling high current we suggest to have good ventilation to avoid heat damage the PCB. For castle 50V 110A esc, yes because it is not ICE series, it has no shunt inside, therefore heat is generated on wire, use 10-AWG wire definitely can help !
kingfish, thanks for your comments, yes we are keep collecting market feedback, when high current demand is increased, next version we will use external shunt resistor approach !

Hello Danny

That is an impressive application! Really very cool. 8)
With regards to the 14-AWG wires, I shall remain optimistic unless proven otherwise; it is the best that we can hope for.

Thank you for your kind support :)
Best, KF

100v 100a no problems with 14awg over that short distance of wire for a few seconds, the speedict survived it all 8)

Everything works great with Speedict and Danny :D

All we need is the Governerboard so we can limit our ebike with our phone, while stopped over by the Police after speeding, we adjust the speedict to 25km/h and max 250 watt ( europe )
I will build the speedict INSIDE my 18 fet controller and no cop will discover it, unless he will find this topic :p

Bazaki said:
Everything works great with Speedict and Danny :D

All we need is the Governerboard so we can limit our ebike with our phone, while stopped over by the Police after speeding, we adjust the speedict to 25km/h and max 250 watt ( europe )
I will build the speedict INSIDE my 18 fet controller and no cop will discover it, unless he will find this topic :p

let see if we can squeeze little bit time to complete the governor coding before speed controller project :)
yes this is very good idea !

speedict said:
let see if we can squeeze little bit time to complete the governor coding before speed controller project :)

Cool, I was hoping you would do that :D

Can you tell us a little bit more about these two projects?

jonathanm said:
speedict said:

Cool, I was hoping you would do that :D

Can you tell us a little bit more about these two projects?

Governor board is the external module for Speedict eBike, featuring :

1. speed regulate - e.g. you set 25km as max speed, so when you apply full throttle we control your max speed to 25km, when apply half throttle speed will be ~ 12km
2. current regulate / current throttle - e.g. you set max current output to 30A, so when you apply full throttle we delivery only 30A max, when apply half throttle, current delivery only 15A so on ...
3. low voltage cut off
4. cruise control

all these setting can be done via android, so you can set up different profile for different conditions :)

by the way, we estimate the price for existing ebike users around eur 10 ... is it ok ?

speedict said:
... is it ok ?

hmmm for 10 euro? can you make it pedal for me as well please :D

sounds fantastic, actually....when do you think it will be available?

And please tell us about the controller too....

jonathanm said:
speedict said:
... is it ok ?

hmmm for 10 euro? can you make it pedal for me as well please :D

sounds fantastic, actually....when do you think it will be available?

And please tell us about the controller too....

oh yes it is PAS as well ... when ? we did 95% but we are very busy on speed controller project in higher priority therefore we put it aside ... let me discuss with our team member next week to see if we can launch it first :)

What are the specifications for the controller you are developing?

Is it just a rerelease of your 50amp model? Or something different?

- Adrian

Once you have this add on govenor board it'll really make the speedict stand out Danny :)

It'd be great if you could make a "performance" model that can 100v, surely it wouldn't require too many changes to the existing board for future models ?

Brilliant as it is to be able to control everything from your phone it'd also be good if you could have a hard wired button that you could program to change current modes or limit speed etc.

Another cool feature would be to a tick box type option in the software that automatically engages the limited current mode when the temperature exceeds a defined maximum. A higher range temperature sensor (or re-calibration allowing such) would be great too. Many of us running hotted up hub motors routinely run internal temperatures of 100 degrees C so it'd be nice to have an upper limit of say 120-150 degrees for those who want to push their luck.

Any more news on cheap little stand alone screens to use ?

If you really want to rock our world, add in a chip for monitoring and displaying individual cell voltages. Offer this functionality and I'll happily cruise around with a 7" android tablet as a dashboard on my handlebars :lol:

Hyena said:
Brilliant as it is to be able to control everything from your phone it'd also be good if you could have a hard wired button that you could program to change current modes or limit speed etc.

don't want cop can trace the wire to the system, everything go wireless right ? :)

Hyena said:
Another cool feature would be to a tick box type option in the software that automatically engages the limited current mode when the temperature exceeds a defined maximum. A higher range temperature sensor (or re-calibration allowing such) would be great too. Many of us running hotted up hub motors routinely run internal temperatures of 100 degrees C so it'd be nice to have an upper limit of say 120-150 degrees for those who want to push their luck.

yes sire, everything can be done by software !

Hyena said:
Any more news on cheap little stand alone screens to use ?

we have sourced 4" china cheap android PMP, and we are working on to activate its bluetooth, the cost around eur25 !

Hyena said:
If you really want to rock our world, add in a chip for monitoring and displaying individual cell voltages. Offer this
functionality and I'll happily cruise around with a 7" android tablet as a dashboard on my handlebars :lol:

we have plan to do BSM and monitor every single cell !

Back