Willow Springs Race June 18th Roll Call

Nice Roy, you took my frickin chair!!!! :evil:

Haha, just kidding man, I don't know who's that is, but that's too funny!

I have a movie brewing up on youtube, give me another hour and it should be ready. You should really skip to 4:30 for the race action. We were sitting on the starting line for a good bit, while Luke was busy blowing motors. :lol: This is a video of the 1st Heat Race for the unlimited class. The reason everybody takes off so much faster than me is cuz:
a.) I didn't have a drive chain so I couldn't pedal
b.) it wasn't clear when the flag would drop, people just took off.
c.) Thud told me to be real gentle after I stripped some of the threads on the hub before the race on Friday. I was actually relieved to be able to race with the bike after what happened. I guess I need to order up another hub now and lace it up as well as rewind the motor. Racing is getting expensive!

Well here it is guys:

[youtube]t6kNuHM6gqM[/youtube]

Not out of Cali yet. Probably won't be home till 7:00 in the morning. Ten hour drive for me. Google said it was supposed to be six hours, I found it to be ten. :shock: Didn't get to the track till 12:30. :evil: By the time bike was assembled, I had five minutes of track practice, put it on the charger, and waited for main event. Start of race was squirly, then ended up with a flat rear tire. :twisted: Had extra thick tube with slime. I don't know why it went flat. Will have to inspect it once home. Will post more when home also. Fat finger syndrome and lack of sleep. Post more later... Ed

YeeHaw Etard!
Nice bump at 6:57! looks like you coulda used twin motors to run them punks down on the srtaights.
We'll have to talk about that LOL.

Compaired to Tuscon, that track is way less technical. Horspower ruled the day. Your Line selections were looking fine for the situations.
Thanks for posting that up.

:?: What was the temprature that day?

& you say the thing just stoped suddenly. Was there visable smoke coming from the motor?....may have been a controller fail.

welcome to the club.

etard said:
This is a video of the 1st Heat Race for the unlimited class.
Awesome vid, and awesome riding. It looked like you were content to hang back there for a while, and then you turned it on and smoked 'em! And at the end, waving to the girl in the stands. Classic. :lol:

Thud,
The temp was about 90 F and neither the motor nor controller were putting off magic smoke or smelly smells so I had to take Biff's word for it on the shorted phase. By pushing the bike backwards and moving the motor it did feel as if it had more resistance which Biff says is an effect of the shorted phase wire. He also said that vibrations can cause this and the bike did seem to vibrate in the main race, I had actually looked back st the rear wheel to see if I could see the tire off balance or something. I had so much fun though, I gotta thank you for sending me the bike. Couldn't have done it without you man. I'll try to plug my HV110 intothe motor this week and see if it is in fact shorted, unless there is a test for resistance or continuity I can do?

GC,
Love your vids man, I think I broke my GoPro, it won't turn off for some reason. :evil:
In the video I was still learning the track, I had only put down about 5 laps on it prior and I was still figuring out braking points and corner speeds. The main problem with my setup is I don't have a proper charging solution, that will be next in the works with the purchase of another meanwell power supply. Since I couldn't charge fast, I wasn't able to put in many practice laps.

Racing is so much fun, I really hope it catches on. With the economy in the toilet, you would think people would be looking for cheaper alternatives to get thier kicks and doesn't get any cheaper than a motorized bicycle!

Now Dave,

You weren't that close to lapping me, I still had 25' on 'ya! LOL Yup, close to 90f and wind starting up, 'bout 20mph this heat yet 30mph later in afternoon. Your adapter busting and not being able to pedal later was a disguised blessing. Burned out my butt pedalling, this 'ole guy was pretty light headed after 2 heats and a 12 lap final.

Nothing like having limited resources and show up for the test (race) and have something bust to get you to take building in reliability a major focus. Which you gotta do seeing you are so hard on bikes :wink:

Your vid was a bit like being there, neither of you hesitated to block the other going into turns 8)

GGoodrum has a neat adapter you may want to look at. I can't tell if its' a light aluminum with black anodizing or some composite. Seems sturdy and lite weight. Just bolt onto a sprocket on the back hub.
http://www.tppacks.com/proddetail.asp?p ... -FWAdapter opps, TPpacks.com site isn't coming up for some reason?

A 2nd lipo pack would allow for lots of fun practice, not that you need much :shock:

Evoforce said:
Start of race was squirly, then ended up with a flat rear tire. :twisted: Had extra thick tube with slime. I don't know why it went flat.
At least this time I know it's not me leaving a spoke in there that did it. :lol: :oops:

Good job hanging in for the win for the electrics, Sosauty. Really nice job too, at helping out at all of the races that you've attended. Right on... Current e-bike champion Sosauty. Way to go Will!

I was taking some pics using my GF camera and I realized, hey there is a few Willow pictures and vids on here, so I will be posting them up here for all to see.

[youtube]tI0K0Zvt5e4[/youtube]

more to come as soon as I resize these pics...

Looks like your next Race meet is confirmed Luke :mrgreen: now you have spanked
the electric MOTORCYCLES at theLAGUNA SECA Race Track on the weekend
and DIDNT BREAK DOWN finishing ON THE PODIUM I have to ask though, is it really
worth showing up to spank a bunch of stink bicycles Luke? Bit like entering a
Bugatti Vayron in a 1000mile cross
country race against horse drawn carriages.

KiM

Here is another view ot the unlimited class race from the side lines,
We see all the ES riders (the onses still running anyway)
[youtube]pG5UpsaBka4[/youtube]

Yeah that's me chasing the Yellow Fox. There is SoSauty in white and Evoforce in Blue. I got to ride that Hanebrink balloon tire beach cruiser and had alot of fun on that thing, no suspension necesary! :p

BiMo,
Where is this new Cart track race, that looks like way more fun than the Willow Springs track. I think I could have been more competitive on that one because of all the twisties. Sign me up!

etard said:
there is a few Willow pictures and vids on here, so I will be posting them up here for all to see.
vids come out? love to see whatever you got!
edit: perhaps i misunderstood. your gopro broke and the vid you posted is what you got, right?

w/o trolling the motorbicycling forum, anyone know of any other good vids from the event?

To Thud and etard, here is a link to what I think may be this green epoxy we see on all these stators: http://www.monti-inc.com/pdfs/hysol_coating_powders.pdf

Note that the green stuff has a use temp of only 130 oC. Yes it's cut through strength is at 330 ish oC. I am assuming at that temperature it cuts like butter.

I am wondering if you guys using 200 + oC wire and going to all this trouble should be using good slot paper, like a Nomex 410 calendared aramid paper on top of the green stuff for extra protection. Perhaps the green epoxy is getting soft at the higher temps, flowing and exposing an edge that cuts the wire insulation with vibration. It also might be good to dip the finished wind in insulating varnish for stability.

"Nomex Type 410 is a calendered insulation paper which offers high inherent dielectric strength, mechanical toughness, flexibility and resilience. Type 410 is the original form of Nomex paper, and is widely used in a majority of electrical equipment applications. Available in 11 thicknesses (2 to 30 mils, or .05 to .76 mm), Type 410 is used in almost every known electrical sheet insulation application. Nomex 410, will maintain 300 V/mil (12 kV/mm) dielectric strength for several hours ar 400°C (750°F)."

Y, may I ask, is your Astro "live" or dead...? It seems to have a nice patina!

It's stated as "Insulation Class B" that is a 130 oC use temperature class system, I think.

happy to report, still alive and kicking ! :D

** melted the solder from the termination, but still alive ! )

edit : Worst i've done to it was a 5 minute run home to beat the rain, pulling 60 to 80 amps the whole time at 48v, it survived but when i got home i could fizzle water droplets into instant steam !!!

Back