Why Japan needs more ebikes

oatnet

1 MW
My wife and I were looking through pictures of a trip she made to Japan last year. We were looking at a photo she took of these two girls who were enthusiastically waving at the tour bus for some reason... Then noticed a woman to the left critically in need of an eBike. :shock: :lol:

-JD

IMG_2679 crop 1.JPG

IMG_2679 crop 2.JPG

I read a lot, and I have been noticing some trends. I believe that over the next decade, E-bikes will grow exponentially. Thats why I have stayed around ES, I started here because my son lost his car license for a year. I looked at gasser bikes due to the purchase-price/power/range benefit, but I determined that E-bikes were going to have several recent improvements implemented, and that gassers were being legislated against everywhere they drew attention (due to the noise).

Bolt-on kits (cell_man, e-bikekit.com, ebikes.ca, ampedbikes.com, hightekbikes.com) have a much better bang for you buck compared to the price/performance of factory E-bikes (Currie eZip, Giant Twist, Kalkhoff, etc), but...

from my informal polling of potential E-bike users, and my personal speculation concerning local and federal legislation in the US and other countries...I now believe the endgame for most people who begin buying an E-bikes in the near future will be with a pedal assisted system (PAS) also sometimes called pedelec.

This would require the user to pedal in order to have the motor kick in (very stealthy) which are already being sold in some countries like Japan (although at very low power levels). But I can also see people wanting to raise the voltage and hack the controller to have more power, yet without adding more speed. More power would result in faster acceleration and better hill-climbing, but a higher top speed would draw attention.

I also foresee some type of registration scheme happening with factory E-bikes so governments can squeeze a few dollars out of Ebikers, but thats just my opinion, not what I want to happen...

images

Meh.. not until the damn batteries improve by a few fairly large margins..

Once lithium batteries are available and last 5 years minimum ( while delivering no less than 80 % of their original capacity ) , regardless of cycle life, then ebikes will really take off.... but for the time being.. ugh.

I believe that over the next decade, E-bikes will grow exponentially.

Na, our politicians have already started to snap to their corporate masters bidding in passing legislation rules and regs to make it harder if not impossible to use them. Soon they won't be usable where they currently are.

Lessss said:
I believe that over the next decade, E-bikes will grow exponentially.

Na, our politicians have already started to snap to their corporate masters bidding in passing legislation rules and regs to make it harder if not impossible to use them. Soon they won't be usable where they currently are.

Ah man bummer to think about. I just got my rig running perfect on LiPos. I was riding down Venice beach here in Cali this past week and the cops chillin on there quads only looked at me as I buzzed by on my noisy Cyclone setup. I avoided them at first, but at the end of the day I intentionally rode in front of them to see if they would mess with me.

It seems as though if you follow the advise of people on ES to keep your speed down when others are close by, don't be a jack@#$ and respect basic rules of the road you may never have a problem.

I run the risk of always having a problem by not wearing a helmet, having a bike that can cruise at 27mph (34 top speed on complete flat) not having cut offs on my brakes and sometimes riding on sidewalks when I have to.

I try to offset this by just slowing down when I have to, mostly around pedestrians.

I reckon we'll see both things happening.....in the US, EU, Australia etc, we will see the legislation grow with ebike use, as the paper pushers make more work for themselves. Eventually we will see the first ebike related deaths and it will be big news, and prompt media interest and a full scale review of whether ebikes need a license, insurance and vehicle type compliance testing etc.

Meanwhile, the technology will develop aplomb in countries with more pressing concerns, and the adoption of ebikes as a mainstream mode of transport will happen in Asia, Latin America, Africa, etc.

Perhaps that adoption will happen in the west as well, but it will not happen without the legislation being in place first, and you can expect stringent requirements in place first....

oatnet said:
My wife and I were looking through pictures of a trip she made to Japan last year. We were looking at a photo she took of these two girls who were enthusiastically waving at the tour bus for some reason... Then noticed a woman to the left critically in need of an eBike. :shock: :lol:

-JD

lol !! :D

I think she is planking... :D

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&pq=planking&xhr=t&q=planking+craze&cp=10&qe=cGxhbmtpbmcgYw&qesig=eMAUnJXMKlCuIG5CQViFQQ&pkc=AFgZ2tkig71d0MIFGSi6oLRlwwrjH9HgErQdgS_bJXa7E5FmOjLpK1wQpoQE04BZuQs6i67Myg81nRb_20sWO-L8L-8Le1_CKQ&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=A0e&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1600&bih=806&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Oh My. Cultural equivalent to our "Ghost Riding"?

-JD

[youtube]BMveY18Ssvs[/youtube]

Back