Inside a 400amp 120v BLDC Kelly

It's a 42fet made from TO-220 package using this controller.

http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/IPP075...506db&fileId=db3a30431b0626df011b25edead96fab

It's pretty much a guide on how to not to effectively parallel FETs to share current.

kelly1f.jpg

kelly2f.jpg

kelly4.jpg

kelly3ak.jpg

A few small caps also, placed on the end of the rail. Not distributed across each bridge. What were they thinking?

bigmoose said:
A few small caps also, placed on the end of the rail. Not distributed across each bridge. What were they thinking?

They were thinking that they could call it a 400phase amp controller if they stuck 7 fets in parallel... Wrong! Lol

Hmmm A 400A kelly opened

Quite interesting, Thanks Luke

Now let's see inside a 250A to compare for fun :wink:

NOt that much difference in the fet number ratio.. the 250 look like 4 fets and the 400 look lilke 7 as you said...

Doc

Attachments

• 5614036613_a54a91e187_o_800x600.jpg
    5614036613_a54a91e187_o_800x600.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 6,320
  • 5614046899_90b19b7905_o_800x600.jpg
    5614046899_90b19b7905_o_800x600.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 6,346
  • 5614068159_f7b3588b26_o_800x600.jpg
    5614068159_f7b3588b26_o_800x600.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 6,320
  • 5614602740_57f0743e80_b_800x600.jpg
    5614602740_57f0743e80_b_800x600.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 6,320
  • 5614631382_2633a73c52_b_800x600.jpg
    5614631382_2633a73c52_b_800x600.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 6,346
  • 5614635710_25ff5930ca_o_800x600.jpg
    5614635710_25ff5930ca_o_800x600.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 6,346
  • 5614642874_f44acd1d81_o_800x600.jpg
    5614642874_f44acd1d81_o_800x600.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 6,320
  • 5614647558_6d2e54cd02_o_800x600.jpg
    5614647558_6d2e54cd02_o_800x600.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 6,346
  • 5614658306_ebdd681a54_o_800x600.jpg
    5614658306_ebdd681a54_o_800x600.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 6,320
It looks like a tube of epoxy vomited all over the inside! Messy...

You might have a prayer of making that work if you carefully measured and matched each bank of FETs, and then threw a whole boxful of caps at it. Or you could just use the many hours that would take to create a better design... :) You'd think the least they could do is use TO-247 FETs. I'm sure they could make up the cost difference if they added "Now with less explosions!" to their marketing materials.

Have you figured out exactly what the failure mode was?

Ahh man you voided your warranty...Aha-ha-ha!

How did it die?

TO-220?? Really? They must be making a killing. No wonder they don't make them serviceable with the vibration goop and potted boards. I wonder if the newer black KHB series with beefier terminals is any better?

Still no luck with the Sevcon's ? :(

MMMMMHM.....

You know i have read the complaint of these controllers getting too hot many times..
People wondering if they are defective etc..

I started thinking maybe they were overrated and started mentioning that.
Now i know for sure!

I think the amp numbers they're giving out are peak amp numbers and not nominal like the infineons are rated at.
IE it's a 200 amp controller, not a 400.

Nonetheless, that's BS.

couple of questions:
1.the white goop is epoxy?? must be a good insulator too not short the fets
2. first link to infineon site, goes to to-220 mosfet data (assume they are the fets used in the kelly? not supposed to be a link to an infineon chip controller?)
3. is the board made by kelly or is it some chinese brand or similar?
thanks

neptronix said:
I think the amp numbers they're giving out are peak amp numbers and not nominal like the infineons are rated at.

That's really, really sad if they can only achieve 400/7 = 57A per FET as a PEAK rating. Design fail.

rhitee05 said:
neptronix said:

That's really, really sad if they can only achieve 400/7 = 57A per FET as a PEAK rating. Design fail.

Do you remember my thermal images of linear FET arrays being loaded? 8 monster TO-247 fets soldered directly by the drain tabs to a 1/4" x 1" solid copper bus on source and drain sides. Even those they were only like 8" away on a 1/4"x1" solid copper bar, the lead FET took the lions share of the current, as shown by seeing the leg temps in the IR just decreasing by like 10degC on each FET as it moved down the bus.

The way the bus is laid out, it wouldn't really matter if they had 42fets or 420fets, the FETs at the begining of the bus are going to get the lions share of the current density and begin the failing process.

Cripes. I always had a good feeling about Kelly Controllers. Do all their controllers just use the same basic design and just scaled up by multiplying?

Anyway, Fail.

Thanks for sharing Luke! I love this.

grindz145 said:
Cripes. I always had a good feeling about Kelly Controllers. Do all their controllers just use the same basic design and just scaled up by multiplying?

Anyway, Fail.

Thanks for sharing Luke! I love this.

All that I've seen use this design.

We have one of this model comming:

http://kellycontroller.com/khb1480124-144v800aopto-bldc-controllerwith-regen-p-822.html

So, I will be able to tell you guys if they improved anything with the biggest BLDC they offer when it gets here.

thanks Luke,
all the while i had been thinking the kelly is the most branded controller. The buyers, we all don't know the actual true performace. Kelly controllers often mentioned themselves run by Top racing ebike, so i had nearly wanted to buy, i got to think twice before buying a controller from them now,. thank you very much. i had make a escape from buying now. their build of the controllers are often said to be very secrets also.

cheers
kentlim

liveforphysics said:
Do you remember my thermal images of linear FET arrays being loaded? 8 monster TO-247 fets soldered directly by the drain tabs to a 1/4" x 1" solid copper bus on source and drain sides. Even those they were only like 8" away on a 1/4"x1" solid copper bar, the lead FET took the lions share of the current, as shown by seeing the leg temps in the IR just decreasing by like 10degC on each FET as it moved down the bus.

The way the bus is laid out, it wouldn't really matter if they had 42fets or 420fets, the FETs at the begining of the bus are going to get the lions share of the current density and begin the failing process.

You're right, to make that work they'd have to bring the battery buses in from the opposite side to equalize the path lengths. Seems like a little thing, but at those current levels it's enough. I wonder if it would be doable to attach the battery terminals to the opposite side of the busbar? Still wouldn't be a great design, but might help.

Luke, i did not see those thermal images. Looking at the controller again, i see exactly what you mean. I now fully understand how atrocious this design is.

Can't believe it. Am always shocked when such terrible engineering is well funded, marketed, and promoted so well. Seems to be the rule and not the exception.

I am now glad that i relented on buying one of these. They make a special controller for the MAC/BMC motors. They could not even begin to explain WHY it was special or different than the others. That was my first tip off that this may be a janky company.. oh and the negative reports that i mentioned.

neptronix said:
Can't believe it. Am always shocked when such terrible engineering is well funded, marketed, and promoted so well. Seems to be the rule and not the exception.

Kelly isn't well funded bro, I don't think they even have their own engineers. It's a little shack in China assembling the through-hole parts by hand on boards that come in from a pick-n-place yard that handled the SMT assembly, then brushing over conformal coating and screwing them together in the extrusion. And a satellite office that answers phone calls from angry people who don't know how to get a working hall-combo, or want an RMA number to mail the controllers back that released the magic smoke. That is the whole company.

liveforphysics said:
We have one of this model comming:

http://kellycontroller.com/khb1480124-144v800aopto-bldc-controllerwith-regen-p-822.html

So, I will be able to tell you guys if they improved anything with the biggest BLDC they offer when it gets here.

Awesome! The KHB has a beefier case (thicker endplates, 8 fan mounting holes on top, supposedly the new fet layout sinks heat to all sides of the case) in addition to the bigger terminals. Did you order the bolt on fans?

Also check out: Kelly KDH14651B post-mortem http://hr-ev.blogspot.com/2009/10/kelly-kdh14651b-post-mortem.html

He makes similar observations about the crappy layout with caps on one side and power terminals on the other. Hope the KHB is improved in this respect.

liveforphysics said:
neptronix said:

Kelly isn't well funded bro, I don't think they even have their own engineers. It's a little shack in China assembling the through-hole parts by hand on boards that come in from a pick-n-place yard that handled the SMT assembly, then brushing over conformal coating and screwing them together in the extrusion. And a satellite office that answers phone calls from angry people who don't know how to get a working hall-combo, or want an RMA number to mail the controllers back that released the magic smoke. That is the whole company.

Wow.
I guess i was fooled by the shine, press releases, etc.
I need to get in business. If producing BS pays, i can only imagine what producing real products pays.

Or maybe it's the other way around. It probably is. :cry:

Shit! I have one of these coming in the mail (KEB72800, 24V-72V, 300A, 8KW). Would not have ordered it if I knew that's what they looked like inside. :( The construction looks like crap. I am hoping it can do at least half the rated power on my Turnigy 80-100 (rewound 9 turns, 14AWG). For comparison I have attached some photos of the inside of a Curtis 1204 (brushed, 24-36V, 275A). Not that I'm a Curtis fan boy but It's a much cleaner design and layout, especially in terms of thermal consideration. Granted brushed controllers are easier to layout, not having all the isolation of the separate half-bridges, it's at least put together with some thought. Too bad they don't make a BLDC version...it would surely be better than the Kelly.
Martin

Attachments

• P1050076.JPG
    P1050076.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 6,694
  • P1050083.JPG
    P1050083.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 6,698
  • P1050084.JPG
    P1050084.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 6,698
  • P1050085.JPG
    P1050085.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 6,698
  • P1050089.JPG
    P1050089.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 6,694
Yep, that curtis is way better than the Kelly layout. Caps down the middle is a huge difference in reliability alone, better thermal path, but same garbage linear fet array.

You know curtis does make big BLDC controllers. The bike my team won the last TTXGP formula 75 with used one.

Here is pics of the inside of a size4 sevcon.

sev1k.jpg

sev2j.jpg

Phase current sensors on the phase posts, which are located in the middle of the fet bank, which has caps on each side of it (almost like they were trying to make use of the FETs)

sev3k.jpg

sev4k.jpg

sev5.jpg

Clips FTMFW! nuts and bolts are a super fail for holding FETs down (unless you have a bellville washer under each one
sev6.jpg

Things look a bit different in a Sevcon. Same 42fet design, but now it's got decent current sharing, the caps are functional, and the FETs have an excellent thermal path to a solid easy to sink 1/2" chunk of aluminum.

Very nice. The screws with the plastic washers are gay I have melted lots of them lol! Sevcon is a nice piece of equipment.

Cool thread, and it strikes home, as I just plonked down some 600 bucks on a KEB72801. I just couldn't find anything else affordable that was buy-it-now-able with close to my target performance. I'm hoping it survives in _intermittent_ use at it's 150A continuous rating!

Interesting to see the Curtis cracked open, it reminds us that the limitations of Curtis's designs are sort of what spawned the Zilla so many years ago. I think Otmar originally started out modding 1231s or something similar. Though better than the Kelly, if you look at a Curtis apart on the bench and compare it to a Zilla, you begin to see how much work is really involved in building something capable of dealing with big amps/volts. Liquid cooling, massive billet copper cooling plate with machined in coolant channels, igbts, high grade bus caps, hairball interface, etc. Not to mention the thousands of hours spent training people to assemble the things properly. And of course testing. If you ever run into him, ask Otmar to tell a few of his plasma explosion stories. All this probably explains why there are no affordable, reliable, high power controllers out there for big brushless motors.

I do not know the man well, but I know enough not to ask him if he will help with a controller design (ok, I'm a liar, I did - but I won't again!). I think he is devoting his time to other loftier goals now ;+}

So who will the next Otmar be? While it's true he is an incredibly smart guy, he didn't start out as a degreed EE with 20 years experience designing high power stuff. He was a guy like one of us that was frustrated with the status quo. Through force of will and persistence, he taught himself the necessary skills to build, test, market and sell those magic green boxes.

Do you guys think its possible to mod a crystylite controller to put the chip from the Kelly in it? The reason I ask this is because my 24/36 fet bords have better cap locations!

Quote neptronix wrote:Can't believe it. Am always shocked when such terrible engineering is well funded, marketed, and promoted so well. Seems to be the rule and not the exception. Unquote

That business plan has worked pretty well for Microsoft so far. :oops:

Back