I might have to rebuild my bike on this frame

NeilP

1 GW
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/canaan-team-16472/

not sure of the exact model that is being offered for sale locally as the picture is very vague

http://www.jerseyinsight.com/Classifieds/Sport--Leisure/Bicycles--Cycling/Mongoose-Canaan-Team-Full-suspension/

as is the description. but I have sent the seller a mail so I can at least see the bike.

i reckon there is good clearance in the triangle for my nano tech pack to sit....ok have to find a new spot for the controller...but that looks like a useful frame...not sure what the swing arm is made of..but ...any way ..any one got any comments on these bikes? before I spend cash on another frame?

Interesting on the welding front...I 'll look closely there before I buy...but not making that a point not to buy...only as a reason to knock the seller down in price. I can easily TIG it up again.

Will be running rear 5304, so the ease of making up torque plates is the issue...and fitting my pack in the 'triangle'

I do like the looks of that frame. Pity the seller on the FS ad doesn't give better pictures. It never ceases to amaze me how someone with such a high quality item, asking not a cheap price, can think such a vague pic is acceptable.

better for me...maybe no one else will look at it...I am going to look at it tomorrow, with my battery mock up, to see if my pack will fit in the frame

That is an excellent frame set-up on that bike, I want to put all my batteries and controller inside the triangle on my next build. I haven't seen a much better candidate than that yet.

Yea, you are right, for a full sus bike it is a good frame.
Te one that is for sale is only a Medium frame though...a large or XL version would be better

At present I have my bats and controller inside my Mongoose hardtail
file.php

but want to go full bounce if I can

Good to see there is decent space in the triangle in the frame, however, I would look for a Giant NRS, very similar set-up, but no frame issues.

I think that although the design of the mongoose frame looks attractive because of the triangle space, but with virtually the same amount of space in the triangle, the NRS gives you a proven design with no history of frames cracking.

I believe that the small rear triangle design is just too short to give it adequate strength and from MTBR's reviews, it has poorer handling too because of this.

Here is a 2002 NRS on Ebay for $600 USD:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Giant-NRS-Suspension-Bike-/230646493095?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item35b39a2fa7

Large frame though, I'm sure your looking for XL.

I'm sure your TIG skills are up to re-welding a crack or 2, but if it'd doing that already with just a normal weight of a rider, I'd be leery of adding all that extra weight in the places we all do for an E-Bike, and what extra stresses it might put on what looks to be a poor design, and if it's the geometry causing the trouble, unless you plan on welding up cracks on a regular basis, I would look for a different frame, just my $.02 :wink:

Well, yes you are right there, suppose I could look at adding a few reinforcing pieces if necessary. but agree, extra work and looking at that NRS frame, that is a better design for an e-bike. For my use, the rear sus is to soak up road surface and small pavement steps etc, not for doing 6 ft drops, so will not be giving it too much abuse,

Back