Optical sensors for commutation -Working

put me down for some as well...not sure which style i will go with, but i will def be sending money your way one way or another!

Wow, Bertie! That is the lowest Turnigy no load current I have seen. What voltage are you running? What controller? :D :D :D

Will the rotary version work for the smaller Aero drive turningy like I am using? You just can't beat the price of that little guy!

dbaker said:
Wow, Bertie! That is the lowest Turnigy no load current I have seen. What voltage are you running? What controller? :D :D :D

It was 24v with a 6 fet Xiechang controller and no skirt bearing.

Whiplash said:
Will the rotary version work for the smaller Aero drive turningy like I am using? You just can't beat the price of that little guy!

Yep, both versions should work file with those neat little motors :)

SDC12900.JPG

Burtie

Awesome! A simple dirt shroud over the motor should solve any issues and with an open outrunner you need one anyway!

Could that be adapted to the other side of the motor? With my setup, I need all the ouput shaft it has. Could I just turn down a simple adapter or something.

Whiplash said:
Could that be adapted to the other side of the motor? With my setup, I need all the ouput shaft it has. Could I just turn down a simple adapter or something.

Could you use the bolt on shaft adapter (that is supplied with the motor)?

View attachment 1

Or use the linear version, which requires no shaft space

SDC12904.jpg

deVries said:
This optical system can be adaptable to almost any motor that uses halls, yes or :?: :idea:

Yes, adding in the '3-Phase' qualifier :wink:

Oh yeah, I FORGOT they supply those! PERFECT!

Hey, any idea what the great, low cost ;) price will be?

Welcome

And what must be a drawing for 20 poles to the inrunner motor 48N_20P

Attachments

• 48N_20P.jpg
    48N_20P.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 2,797
doc007 said:
You might be able to get some more customers if this idea can be adapted to work with the sensorless HS hub motors! :D

Dont these hubs come machined to accept hall sensors already? Populating those notches with hall sensors would have to be the easiest solution.

Dingo2024 said:
well done Bertie another breakthrough.................looking like this works with the Astro motors :wink:

ok, so what controller are we looking at to run a 3220 well? 12 fet, 18 fet.................any thoughts?

Ian :D

I would think a 12 fet controller with decent fets would normally be a good match. Maybe use an 18 fet for a very low turn count motor

Any news on that? I'm looking forward to buy one to my Turnigy 80-100A + EC-244110-LYEN EDITION!

STGMT said:
Any news on that? I'm looking forward to buy one to my Turnigy 80-100A + EC-244110-LYEN EDITION!

Will probably make the opto parts generally available in September sometime, though if you fancy doing a bit of beta testing with them, drom me a PM.

Meanwhile I am taking some time out in the sunshine to ride my ebike :)

Burtie

Burtie said:
STGMT said:

Will probably make the opto parts generally available in September sometime.

Meanwhile I am taking some time out in the sunshine to ride my ebike :)

Burtie

hehe 'sunshine' in England you funny Burtie :p :mrgreen: So seriously
what you have there, isn't like 2-3 weeks of 'good' riding weather over there
before that white stuff piles up on the ground, Burtie :mrgreen:

Have fun Burtie, grab some videoz if you have the time :)

KiM

AussieJester said:
hehe 'sunshine' in England you funny Burtie :p :mrgreen: So seriously
what you have there, isn't like 2-3 weeks of 'good' riding weather over there
before that white stuff piles up on the ground, Burtie :mrgreen:

KiM

KiM, you are too right, started raining again so I had to play indoors for a bit :x

Did a bit of temperature testing with the internal Astro optical sensors.

The Motor was running in delta without any airflow, used the recirculating currents to slowly heat the whole assembly to just over 200 deg F in about an hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzTa15Jt2Y
[youtube]WKzTa15Jt2Y[/youtube]

Burtie

Nice werq for sure. Like many others I will be waiting to get a couple when they are available.

If you want to try out some of this stuff,
check out the sale thread here:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=31961

:mrgreen:

Burtie

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but just come across it. Excellent work, Burtie. It confirms everything I know about the benefits of optical commutation sensors compared to the woolly hall sensors. Can you tell I don't like them.

The success of your work makes me want to convert my hub motor, as the benefit surely would be similar. The environmental effects might be more challanging, but otherwise it should be pretty easy.

Would you mind sharing more details about the electronic timing adjustment circuit? Cheers.

2moto said:
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but just come across it. Excellent work, Burtie.
Would you mind sharing more details about the electronic timing adjustment circuit? Cheers.

Thanks,
Let us know how you get on if you make that optical triggered hub motor.

The timing adjuster tool is described in this thread (including lots of nerdy video):
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19054

Burtie

Back