Back in the Saddle: Going to California: 2011

Shari's: Yes exectly! I have been cutting back on the coffee cos I think it leads to early fatigue :(

AveS: I have been attentive to turn the oower off when I stop and rest hehe :)

I'm fueling up now with food; more steak n eggs. Hope to get a little earlier start this morning and beat that heat. Easterly winds pick up about Noon so I want to be well past the summit before then.

Food is here so I'll post later.
Cheers all, KF :)

I am now in Burney, CA via Medicine Lake. It was an interesting day that's for sure! The best part was Medicine Lake; a jewel snuggled atop the crater of the largest shield volcano in the lower 48. Followed by arguably the best downhill ride to the highway- some 20 miles with just a few soits requiring the rider to pedal. I want to come back and explore!

Stats
Day miles =145.4
MaxS = 40.1 (whoo hoo!)
AveS = 28.7
Trip Time = 5:03:56
Total OD = 708.0
Start V = 63.3, End = 56.9
However - I stopped twice to charge; a story waiting to be told! I promise to backfill.

Room: Staying at the Charm Motel; $79/nite. They were nearly booked out. I've stayed here before at the Green Gables which is managed by the same company.

Addendum: I am enjoying one of the fine fruits of California... a wee mini-pitcher of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale fresh from the tap (omg this is tasty on a blazing bright and hot evening); just wot the doktor ordered :) This will do fine to wash down that huge plate of pizza! Ja ;)

OK - so I figure this is a good time to talk about the issues I've been facing:
Regen. Works when just a bike but for some reason won't pulling the trailer. Farfle - the last repair works, just not with two controllers, so rather than have no regen I opted to disconnect the secondary controller and now at least I have some regen with partial recovery. Saved, though not optimum.
Secondary Controller is cutting out oe acting flakey. Presume it is the APPs at the phase connectiln. These have been problematic before.
Cruise Control is buggered cos the plastic broke/wore off. Regardless - the button is gone. If I can find a Radio Shack I czn swap in a momentary switch to fix.
Wrist cramping: Aerobars are a bust. The bike is too sensitive for me to use. Resolved to rest more frequenty though briefly.
Sore tendon behind right knee began after Mt. Hood. Been taking Celebrex or Ibuprofen and resting more frequently.
Lurking for outlets has become more entertaining :D

Food is here and my glass is empty; gotta go :)

OK - so that's me, sweaty and smelly; off to the shower, then food! :)
Cheers, KF

Kingfish said:
I am now in Burney, CA via Medicine Lake. It was an interesting day that's for sure! The best part was Medicine Lake; a jewel snuggled atop the crater of the largest shield volcano in the lower 48. Followed by arguably the best downhill ride to the highway- some 20 miles with just a few soits requiring the rider to pedal. I want to come back and explore!

Stats
Day miles =145.4
MaxS = 40.1 (whoo hoo!)
AveS = 28.7
Trip Time = 5:03:56
Total OD = 708.0
Start V = 63.3, End = 56.9
However - I stopped twice to charge; a story waiting to be told! I promise to backfill.

Room: Staying at the Charm Motel; $79/nite. They were nearly booked out. I've stayed here before at the Green Gables which is managed by the same company.

OK - so that's me, sweaty and smelly; off to the shower, then food! :)
Cheers, KF
Very impressive stats... wouldn't have believed you would risk 40mph... but "the stability" must be there... I think the mileage you're doing vs trip time is very impressive too. :mrgreen:

What do you think about your trailer vs a two wheeled trailer :?: Any big advantages w/one wheel you could elaborate on :?: :idea:

Try to upload some pics man... every motel should have a puter w/Inet connection... UPLOAD. :p

I am going to reply in parts. Please wait a few minutes before responding; texting on this new fangled cellphone is a challenge, and I may miss all your requests :)

Two-wheel trailers now have mine eye cos they are more stable though more work to setup and maintain. The stability of my trailer increases with each passing day cos I am learning how to load it better each time. A big truck passing close or a blustery cross-wind can still cause it to fishtail. A lighter touch and assertive throttle can pull it out of a wiggle - but that is a learned skill on the road :)

I can't load pics until I get to a pc. That may be in 3-4 days at the soonest.

I began today at 8 AM and ended at 4:30 PM. About an hour after starting I crossed the Stateline and parked at a pre-planned Pepsi-junction and snagged a volt before heading onward. At Tionasta (a destination and not a town) I stopped at the local store that is managed by peoples faithful to the iron horse... if you get my drift. There was much gathering and celebration going and building up just as I arrived. I made my pitch and asked to charge for as long as it took me to choke down a can of Coke. So I'm now setup and marveling over Harley's and tatoos and women whilst they are doing wot those that do...do, and eventually it comes around to "what the f@#k are you driving man?" And I tell them the Story of Ebikes and my saga. The world is a strange place but the best part is when diverse cultures find common ground and become more than friends... you become one of their Tribe! :) The Patriarch gave me some solid advice for heading on up the mountain and how to get to Hwy 89. There.s more to the story but I hates chicken-peckin' on this funky device ;)

I can't read your whole post to know what else you asked so lemme post this and I'll append.

This damned cellphone does't have arrow keys so I can't navi hd ate to the end of my post to continue grrrr :x

I forgot to add that earlier at the Stateline whilst I was in the clandestined mode of harvesting a charge a CHP pulled up and asked if everything was ok. I nonchalauntly moved between bike and cop to obscure my activity and proceded ti engage in dialog with the orficer - mainly talking about my cramp behind my knee (which is true) and how I am forced to stop every 20 miles to give it a break (which is partly true hehe) and I talk ed about anything he wanted to know - though I spoke of NOTHING about Ebikes. He was buffaloed and left. Not a moment too soon cos the charger slowed down righ after that :) I mean like he was only 50 ft away and couldn't hear the charger!

One of my better song and dance moments to be sure. :twisted:

Kingfish said:
I forgot to add that earlier at the Stateline whilst I was in the clandestined mode of harvesting a charge a CHP pulled up and asked if everything was ok. I nonchalauntly moved between bike and cop to obscure my activity and proceded ti engage in dialog with the orficer
:lol: texting can be funny too... :lol: :p

Anyway, why care whether someone sees if you're getting a charge? It's not as if you're stealing or loitering :?: So did you get a tattoo & become a brother of the harley-cycling hood? :wink: At least they didn't hassle you, which could be pretty freaky with Harley decibels next to you on the road. :mrgreen:

Kingfish said:
Sore tendon behind right knee began after Mt. Hood. Been taking Celebrex or Ibuprofen and resting more frequently.
KF

If your tendon is sore kind of on the outside back of the knee, you are probably hyper extending. Lower your seat a little. It takes a while to heal from this kind of injury, but you should notice a difference relatively quickly. I hope this helps!

deVries said:
Kingfish said:
I forgot to add that earlier at the Stateline whilst I was in the clandestined mode of harvesting a charge a CHP pulled up and asked if everything was ok. I nonchalauntly moved between bike and cop to obscure my activity and proceded ti engage in dialog with the orficer
:lol: texting can be funny too... :lol: :p

Anyway, why care whether someone sees if you're getting a charge? It's not as if you're stealing or loitering :?: So did you get a tattoo & become a brother of the harley-cycling hood? :wink: At least they didn't hassle you, which could be pretty freaky with Harley decibels next to you on the road. :mrgreen:
No tatoo - although the natives were friendly :) It was obviously a Sunday gathering and I had unknowingly crashed their party. Didn't overstay my welcome... < 1 hour.

Officer: They are too nosey for me; best to leave sleeping dogs lay ;)

mobybike said:
Kingfish said:
KF

If your tendon is sore kind of on the outside back of the knee, you are probably hyper extending. Lower your seat a little. It takes a while to heal from this kind of injury, but you should notice a difference relatively quickly. I hope this helps!
I have already lowered the seat a notch to ease mounting with this heavy load, though I will do some more - many thanks - that is precisely the condition :)
Best, KF

I am getting set to head out of here shorty - 30 minutes or so. Need to chechout and stop at the local grocer to pick up food. The continental breakfast it wasn't, now I'm starving. Silly overpriced room is $20 more rhan I paid in KF for $20 less features. Next year we'll pick another spot.

Lessions on food from yesterday:
1. Do not pack those little packages of honey from Denny's cos they like to explode :cry:
2. Do not pack overipe bananas in the same bag as the water/Gatorade cos they want to get squishy cuddly with everything else.

Token sage advice from the school of hard knocks.

I might not have web access where I am going to end up so I'll exolain the plan:
Leave Burney, head south on Hwy 89 through Lassen NP this time instead of around via Westwood like last year. Keep treking past the summit and fermalholes and boiling mud pots and sulfur springs of this dormant volcano - plowing forward past Canyon Dam and onward to Greenville where me Uncle and cousins live. It is only 117 miles or so thus a relatively easy day if I can stop texting and writing run-on sentences and mount the dang bike and git on with it man! :lol:

Anyways - consider me to be On the Road ;)
Cheers, KF

Kingfish said:
plowing forward past Canyon Dam and onward to Greenville where me Uncle and cousins live. It is only 117 miles or so thus a relatively easy day if I can stop texting and writing run-on sentences and mount the dang bike and git on with it man! :lol:
Heya, that's good you'll have a chance to be with family AND have inet access to post pics too :!: Does your phone shoot video too? Memory card for more storage? Would be cool to have a pic w/your bike next to the Harley dude! :mrgreen: Tell us some stories too, since it seems you've accumulated some (Harley/Orficer :lol:) by now & will have a keyboard too... :wink:

Awesome Journey man!

You're average speed is pretty awesome for all that weight. Ebike touring is officially lagitt! (I mean we needed at least one more person than Justin :mrgreen: )

Time for me to own up and do some touring myself.

thanks kingfish for posting,this is very fun :D .

Kingfish said:
Lessions on food from yesterday:
1. Do not pack those little packages of honey from Denny's cos they like to explode :cry:
2. Do not pack overipe bananas in the same bag as the water/Gatorade cos they want to get squishy cuddly with everything else.

Been there, done that! :wink: These days I peel them first and put them in a ziploc bag. It doesn't stop them squishing but it keeps everything neater and saves me having to deal with the skins on the road.

This is a short quick oost to let you all know I am still alive and well and on the road.

As anticipated I did not have Inet service at my Unc's. The last trek was awesome and written down for backfill. I am now in Quincy, CA heading towards our family summer property near Johnsville. The is no Inet service there either. It might be a few days before I reach a pc - probably Sunday or Monday.

Lots of stories, fun, BEER, and more fun to share.
Gots to go now and catch that tailwind, KF :)

Kingfish said:
This is a short quick oost to let you all know I am still alive and well and on the road.

As anticipated I did not have Inet service at my Unc's. The last trek was awesome and written down for backfill. I am now in Quincy, CA heading towards our family summer property near Johnsville. The is no Inet service there either. It might be a few days before I reach a pc - probably Sunday or Monday.

Lots of stories, fun, BEER, and more fun to share.
Gots to go now and catch that tailwind, KF :)

Sweet!

You're only 120miles away from Willow CA, where I will be fri-sat-sun this weekend to race in the 24hrs of Lemons at Thunder Hill raceway. :) If you can make it, you should stop by and watch the racing!

I'm in Graeagle, CA at the general store next to a wifi hub. We're picking up some groceries. Sunday I plan to leave for Pioneer, CA. My Unc and Bro are coming up to the property Friday so - won't be leaving here till Sunday at the soonest. The trek will take me south on Hwy 89 through Truckee and South Lake Tahoe till I hit Hwy 88 which I'll take over the Sierras down to Pioneer for a couple of days.

After that I am going on to Fresno via Hwy 49 to Oakhurst then Hwy 41 south. Ithink the next Friday the plan is to head to Santa Cruz, Luke. Then SF after that -but I needs to check the calendar to be sure.

Anyways it's time to head to Cuccia's for dinner in Mohawk :)
I'll check in again if we come into town before I leave.

Cheers all! KF

Kingfish said:
I'm in Graeagle, CA at the general store next to a wifi hub. We're picking up some groceries. Sunday I plan to leave for Pioneer, CA. My Unc and Bro are coming up to the property Friday so - won't be leaving here till Sunday at the soonest. The trek will take me south on Hwy 89 through Truckee and South Lake Tahoe till I hit Hwy 88 which I'll take over the Sierras down to Pioneer for a couple of days.

After that I am going on to Fresno via Hwy 49 to Oakhurst then Hwy 41 south. Ithink the next Friday the plan is to head to Santa Cruz, Luke. Then SF after that -but I needs to check the calendar to be sure.

Anyways it's time to head to Cuccia's for dinner in Mohawk :)
I'll check in again if we come into town before I leave.

Cheers all! KF

Sweet! Rememeber, this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, all day I will be at Thunder Hill in Willow CA.

Just had late lunch at Gumba's in Blairsden. Best burgers in the county! Leaving in the early morning. Mods and fixes to ebike have been applied. Tomorrow I'll head south on Hwy 89 to Truckee. I'll check in once I can sneak a charge.

Glad to hear the news on ES.
Cheers, KF

If you are not careful you could rival Jack Kerouac! Absolutely wonderful stuff! Go KF
otherDoc

I am now in Truckee, CA having a late breakfast. Took less than 3 hours to get here; 57 miles and 2 mountain passes. Pack is nearly half spent but found an extremely friendly Union 76 station that will let me charge as long as necessary :)

Good day for riding; low traffic, modest temps, ok roads. I have a long ride ahead though around the west side of beautiful Lake Tahoe on a cracken day, then one more high mountain pass.

Food is here so I'll sign off for now. KF :)

@Kingfish- When will you be in San Francisco? Let me know, Edward Lyen and I would love meet you when you are actual in San Francisco. 8)

chroot said:
@Kingfish- When will you be in San Francisco? Let me know, Edward Lyen and I would love meet you when you are actual in San Francisco. 8)
I think next Saturday but I needstochech the schedule to be sure. The plan is to spend one day in the city visiting you guys :)

I levt Truckee about Noon after putting on about 1.5 volts. I am now at Meyers which is where US 50 and Hwy 89 split south of South Lake Tahoe . The weather is perfect for riding but the traffic is heavy. I pulled over at a Chevron minimart to rest in the shade and discovered a power outlet! Well needless to say I'm pulling off a quick charge before surmounting the next 2 mountain passes. I figure there is at least 60 more miles to go but better to be safe and on the happy side of the pack, yes :)

Not much else to say as I chicken-peck here, so I'll save the rest for backfilling.
Cheers all, KF

Back