A Summary Letter for the ES Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

justin_le

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, for those who were absent from August 4th to Aug 7th 2011, this post here
replaces a 28 page thread that erupted when a change in ownership of the
Endless-Sphere domain and forum was publicly announced in a pair of open letters
from the original host (KnightMB) to a new Party, Trevor.

The original ownership swap happened several months previously without anyone’s
knowledge. Trevor, who had built himself an electric bicycle at the start of
this year, approached KnightMB about buying the site on the suggestion of a
friend that Forum ownership can be an interesting venture. They came to an
agreement on the sale of the site which is covered by a Non-Disclosure.

Trevor’s plan included monetizing the endless-sphere site in such a way that it
could generate revenue and thus pay for upkeep and upgrades as well as pay back
his investment. There was awareness that this would be offputting to some of the
core membership, but he believed that with careful consideration of tasteful
advertising and vendor sponsorships it could be made to work to the overall
benefit of the community.

However, when this announcement was made public, it did not ultimately go over
very well. Core members objected to the idea that their content contributed for
free in the spirit of sharing ebike knowledge would be used in the context of ad
generation to the benefit of unaffiliated companies. Others were upset that the
content could have been sold in the first place. Many members were threatening
and prepared to delete all of their posts so that their contributed IP could
not be commercialized. The reaction grew in intensity, and the discovery of
unrelated forums hosted by Trevor’s friend did not help.

This response had not been anticipated by Trevor, and with many threats calling
to burn down the house, he agreed it was in everyone’s best interest to return
the forum. The initial purchase was based on a commercial valuation of the
site, the exact amount could not be discussed due to Non-Disclosure, and Trevor
expected to get some of his funds back. KnightMB who had received the money had
disappeared.

Through a flurry of weekend activity, a compromise solution was reached in
which Trevor sold the site to Justin_le at a significant loss, under terms in which
Justin guarantees the content is not to be used for generating advertising revenue.
This transfer has now been completed in full.

In light of all this, we have removed defaming posts about both Trevor and
his friend that were generated at the height of this debate, and we ask that
everyone hold back from any future character attacks. Trevor acknowledges that
he made a mistake in pursuing this venture and has backed out
in a way that leaves this community in tact. He is still an active ebike rider himself
and will continue to be a strong promoter of the cause.

Justin will be posting a new message about the future direction of this forum
in due course, but for now we ask that everyone breathe easy and leave this
episode to rest. It’s high time we all got back to tinkering with our ebikes and
projects again.

justin_le said:
x this post here
replaces a 28 page thread x
Please don't delete all those topics that were created between August 4th and today.
Please don't erase history. We need to pay attention to what happened in the past so that it don't happen in the future. Lock the posts. Put them back in the General Discussion area to get buried if you like, but please don't erase what people spent many hours typing.

Justin:

My personal congratulations for your attitude.

The very best for you! And for all of us!

I am nothing here. Just a very small piece of this place.... place that is a very nice part of my life... :D

- Fabio

Just curious, why the multiple third-person references to yourself Justin?

I have the 28 pages locally copied. and have copies of those copies.

Please consider putting it back up when the dust settles. This is part of the historical site you paid to preserve.
And a testament to the character of our members; a cut above the rest.

I'm glad this is finally over. I'm still not happy that we/Justin had to pay a ransom for our own IP, but whatever. At least it's over.

Thanks you Justin, for taking care of this.

-- Gary

Thanks Justin!
Will you create a kind of (re) fund rising? I (and many others for sure) really want to make a monetary contribution to some how participate in this historical moment (closing).
Thanks again, for saving this place!

Erogo said:
Goddam LFP, give it a break

I have 100% explicit trust in Justin, and would trust him with my life for anything anytime anywhere. I'm THRILLED the forum is in his more than capable and ethically aligned hands. He is like a super-human of honesty and love and compassion topped off with an incredible brain that he dedicates for the electric revolution. I love the man.

It's just odd that the post has 3rd person Justin references in it, I don't remember ever seeing that from him before. Made me think maybe he has a helper typing/posting for him or something? Not suggesting any foul play, just curious.

Alrighty Justin Le, Thank you again for excellence support ES ebike forum and I have a question for you Justin.

Do you need our help by donating you some funds for the recoup costs like I did help Edward Lyen when he blew his LiPo up and got enough recoup buy some new LiPo batteries. Anyways, Do you need our help?

I mean I don't want see you burden whole costs on the ES domain and a server.

I will gladly donate you some funds raising! Justin- You are HERO!

Justin, thanks for saving the forum and content!

I offered to buy this forum myself for whatever trevor paid for it, but unfortunately nobody knows me well enough and did not take my offer seriously, although I was. I have the liquid funds available. Still do.

:?: What kind of ownership do you have? Sole proprietor? LLC? Non-profit?
:?: If something happens to you, justin, what happens to the forum? <==(This is very important)
A non-profit LLC with no single person "owning" more than 24%, essentially prevents collusion between two owners to change the site to something else. Also, bylaws and other legal instruments can ensure that the site remains as is... free and forever useful.

I agree with "most" folks that we move on and essentially forget this recent trying time, but the history of the event should not be expunged. It is an important historical account of events that should be remembered, so as not to repeat them. Threats and flames: I'll leave that to the moderators to cleanse them in an appropriate manner.

That's my view of the situation. I'd like to continue working on my next build which is in progress, without this distraction and the emotions that run with it.

FA

liveforphysics said:
It's just odd that the post has 3rd person Justin references in it, I don't remember ever seeing that from him before. Made me think maybe he has a helper typing/posting for him or something? Not suggesting any foul play, just curious.

Ha, no it's funny you bring that up as I starting off writing a recount summary of what happened as though it was coming from some ES collective itself rather than from my own voice so it seemed natural to phrase things that way. But then it seemed incorrect to change voice right at the end so I left 3rd person.

Then I was like, hmm, that's going to look strange if it's going to be posted from my account, so I initially had a little break from person-ness blurb at the bottom which I deleted saying:

"end of 3rd party voice, now it's me, Justin, telling you firsthand to go ride your bikes for a bit. I've got tons of busy work to catch up on but promise to be back to carry on the talk about the forum future next week. "

To the people offering / suggesting donations, I appreciate the thoughts and expressions of goodwill but for now lets hold that back until a real plan for the future of this community is in place.

-Justin

neptronix said:
I have the 28 pages locally copied. and have copies of those copies.

Please consider putting it back up when the dust settles. This is part of the historical site you paid to preserve.
And a testament to the character of our members; a cut above the rest.
Nothing's being expunged, or censored.. just cleansed, just moderated

ya gotta keep 'em moderated

[youtube]G2gTFBhQ7Ko[/youtube]

It reads fine as a memorandum of record, not a communique from-Justin-to-the-members, per se.

Well I hope it all gets better from here on in. Keep things out in the open as much as possible I say. And if you think someone is being a jerk, let them know in the most polite way. As Justin said, stop internetting and go ride a frocking bike!!! :D

I have recently put my name up to be the secretary of the Perth Branch of the AEVA, so I'll be doing my small bit from this end of the globe ;)

Cheers all,

CHRIS

EDIT: FROCK???!!! 'frocking' more like it :D

frocking :D

Justin you are a hero. From the first time I read about you traveling across Canada on your e bike for $8.53 worth of power (I think it was) and some leg excersize to this. Thank you very very much!

So I have a suggestion. Why don't we put a small amount of adds on the forum to cover the cost of the forum and to help research. We have some of the best people in the world to get the electric revolution going and we need them all working together as a team it would help if we can have some money for blown mosfets, for ev events, for a little destructive testing, and for some random things. I know I am held back on my research by knowledge and money so if we all worked together this could help. I'm not worried about getting money for me BTW but guys like Luke methods thud etc who hand out expensive gifts to help others get a start!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back