[nearly original] An update on what I know from my end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, as the Sphere moves on, their might be opportunity to make some changes to the details of how it works, without losing the spirit of the thing. For sure plenty of people are making suggestions! Plenty of other people (myself included) are hiding those good suggestions in piles of drivel, and as things stand with the sphere, there's no easy way to highlight the gems among the pigpoo.

So, if we're making suggestions, can I make two?
1) Someone benevolent could collect a list of the useful suggestions from among the drifts of pigpoo, so they're nicely collected together for consideration
2) For sphere 2.0 we could implement some technique for post-rating, maybe like something like that on slashdot, so you can filter away the drivels of pigpoo, and just be left with the gems.

Eric

Its very common internet law that information posted is owned by the poster.

Since ES has no copyright information posted at the time of posting that would definitely apply here. That doesnt mean nasty legal letters and lawsuits wouldnt happen.

Justin decided to pay for what could have easily been taken for free. Based on my conversation with him last night he thought this was the ethical, the noble and the cleanest course.

Imagine a community potentially split in half...and then half to deal with lawsuits and cease and decist threats all the time.

I'm kinda feeling bad that he (Justin) had to lay out hard earned cash for this site. It seems that we could have gone to Endless Gears.com and started over for nuthin. I will do my share to help but it just seems shameful that the pirates actually won! Sorry but I guess the disaster on Wall street has me more down than usual.
otherDoc

Justin is not a big looser at all. No one needs to feel sorry for him.

He owns ebike.com an acquisition that costs him a very pretty penny.

He is no dope.

And the combination of ebikes.com and ES is a very very valuable combination.

He can leave the forums untouched and add free on the back pages of ebikes.com and still get a tremendous benefit (tons of traffic and google rank to ebikes.com)

Plus not to mention that this acquisition absolutely cements him as the leader of the grass roots ebike movement. (priceless)

And justin without putting a single advertisement on the sphere will ironically see a profit 10x what trevor would have ever seen...i said that from the offset.

This is a win win for everybody. And justin definitely does not lose here. I say congrads to Justin on a very smart buy. And i believe the entire ebike universe will flourish because of this deal.

That being said i am sure he will keep ES clean and add free.

And one thing is for sure this forum if moved to ebikes.com will see 10x as much traffic and 10x as many new users with tons more exposure.

Hold on tight to the handlebars guys...ebikers may not be such a fringe group for very much longer...

Thanks for the "upside", GreenMachine!
otherDoc

Doc, you should play the street both ways. Volatility is king. We all know how to go long, but your game gets better when you can short also. Today was a perfect day to be on the screen all day. I couldn't make the entire day; but got about 4 hours in.

Hey BigMoose. I did what I could and will see tomorrow if it was worthwhile! My funds are not "quick on their feet" so perhaps my preplanning may help!
otherDoc

where the hell have you been, wasn't quite ready to start dredging the canal but the thought was there. We miss you on Yahoo.

You refer to the Archives of E-S re: what is in the past. I have very little use for what happened last year or 5 years ago and this is all that Intellectual Property everyone here is so concerned about. What Value is there in a post about how someone had a problem with a pulse modulated controller that went out of production several years ago or how some manufacturer ripped you off when that company no longer exists? All the schematics, drawings, video links from the past are of almost zero value now to anyone because the world moves on and isn't stuck in the past. Rick Kosiorek posted a few pages of pics showing one of my Sanyo/Rabbittool hub motors I was selling and well those pics were nice and the data interesting but those hub motors went out of production 5 years ago and so what is the Current Value in Dollars of those pages of pics/data?

You extract only the posts that are of a strictly technical nature and will have some connection to 2011/2012 and delete the rest and I'll bet you'll have no more than a few hundred pages of material that might have some value to someone.

What Value do you place on Posts saying it is 72 F outside today or some jerkoff in a car cut me off while I was riding my iZIP home. As for Intellectual Property a lot of Members here have double digit IQs who are here only because the Cartoons have not started on TV yet and when moving forward do we fight to retain posts from Members who contribute nothing of any value worth reading beyond their Humor value?

I like this crap re: the stuff I posted is mine and Trevor isn't going to make a buck from my Intellectual material. Good f*ckin grief give these guys a frontal lobotomy. Now if someone posted the schematics for the missile guidance system of the Raptor Fighter-Interceptor I could see them wanting that info protected but when you want crap like its 72 F outside today protected from Trevor something is wrong here.

Endless-Sphere is mostly a place you come to waste time shooting the sh*t with like minded souls and it is way better to be here than spending Quality Time with the misses. When a person is faced with a technical challenge they post asking for assistance and assistance is usually heaped upon them and that is good and as it should be.

When people come to E-S to blow off steam, take hostages or run people into the ground to make themselves feel better that happens too but is this the crap you want to keep in the Forum and fight to save it? Trevor could make a fortune selling a lot of E-S Posts to Howie Mandel for use in his stand up comedy acts. I know I get a chuckle reading a lot of what people here post and I have almost zero sense of humor. Oatnet alone could keep Howie Mandel's audiences in stitches laughing.

PS I'm not planning on hanging around E-S. Just dropped in to contribute my 2 Cents and make YPedal's day.

Wow, are you human? or some kind of Borg?
We are here to talk about our hobby. That is non essential but very important part of our lives. It seems to me, you are interested only in money and present moment. I do not know if the rest of member agree or not, but I for one, am interested in non-essential part of life, as well as essential part.

In your logic, we don't need to know our history, past. We don't need anything other than what we really NEED, which according to you, is money. We don't need any museum, library, history book or archive. You may have a bike but just to get to work, not for joy ride, after all, it is non-essential. Is that a life?

I do not post here often, almost non, but let me tell you my history. I made an ebike, actuary a trike, over 20 years ago when ebike did not exist. The frame was made out of titanium tube and the motor was 1 hp Scott motor with a bunch of F cells. I wish this forum was there when I was making the trike. I made a lot of mistake but I finished the job and I still have the trike. I could learn a lot from other member, from their mistake or success. I am still learning that's why I come to here to read what other's doing.

You may not know, as a human, the history is very important as well as the present. That's the reason why we try to preserve here. This is the place we can see what's going on now and how we get here. Without history, archive, we are nothing but a bunch of animals. We learn from the past and apply that to the future. I wish someday, somebody remove your Borg implant and you come back to human society.

bigmoose said:
Perhaps we can have a bake sale to fund the effort! :D
What are we baking, LiPo or Hub motors? :p

Erogo said:
Also, as the Sphere moves on, their might be opportunity to make some changes to the details of how it works, without losing the spirit of the thing. For sure plenty of people are making suggestions! Plenty of other people (myself included) are hiding those good suggestions in piles of drivel, and as things stand with the sphere, there's no easy way to highlight the gems among the pigpoo.

So, if we're making suggestions, can I make two?
1) Someone benevolent could collect a list of the useful suggestions from among the drifts of pigpoo, so they're nicely collected together for consideration
2) For sphere 2.0 we could implement some technique for post-rating, maybe like something like that on slashdot, so you can filter away the drivels of pigpoo, and just be left with the gems.

Eric

Yes, these are excellent suggestions. Rewording the user agreement might be in order as well.

Regardless if Justin can profit in the future or not from this, I would like to find a way to pay him back, whatever it was. Without his assistance, things would have been much more difficult. Whatever profit he reaps in the future is just payment for his contribution in my book. Who knows, we may relocate the site somewhere else down the road.

While things were sort of cool the way they were, it was not really fufilling my original vision for the site. There were too many constraints and making any kind of change was difficult. I don't want to get radical or anything, but I think there are plenty of things that could use improvement. I realize that almost any change will not please everyone, but I aim to improve things for the general good of the membership.

GGoodrum said:
Miles said:
Luke is the Master Baker :)

Yes, definitely for LiPos, but methods gets my vote for hub motors. :roll: :mrgreen:

Not methods, nor anyone else here can say they dumped 40kw into a custom wound hub on the dyno and made it blast blue plasma out of cock-shaped holes.

I also think I have the fastest destruction time of a 530x series clyte hub, 8minutes from brand new to carbon char.

Patrick has killed a total of more hubs than me though. :)

liveforphysics said:
..Not methods, nor anyone else here can say they dumped 40kw into a custom wound hub on the dyno and made it blast blue plasma out of cock-shaped holes.
...Patrick has killed a total of more hubs than me though. :)

Ahh !! OK, ....so its a competition between Quality and Quantity of failures ! :shock: :D

re Justin - I don't think he even needs any way to directly benefit from the forum. What he has done will resonate for a very long time and the karma will come back to him in endless, spherical ways.

It would be cool to reimburse him though....even if he is not asking for it and even if it takes a long time.

re improvements - one good thing to come out of this is that many issues have come out of the woodwork, and many skilled IT people have as well. Hopefully that momentum will continue and we can fix up a few things.

I think there must be about 10 of us now with phpBB set up on our servers ready to go, lol. We can do some testing of features....on one of these servers.... like a rating system on them....here's one:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=645855

Maybe we should put together a "developer" group who are up for implementing a few things that people ask for?

Joshua Goldberg said:
PS I'm not planning on hanging around E-S. Just dropped in to contribute my 2 Cents and make YPedal's day.

You have totally overvalued your contribution.
Maybe 2/10,000,000ths of a bitcoin

Beat it Troll

-methods

Justin,
Thanks for buying our forum! Now you got the best electric bicycle forum, and the ebikes.com domain name. Looks like ebike.com might be for sale?

Got my finger on the PayPal button. Please let us know when to start the collection.

I am sure that you know that Its not a done deal till endless-sphere.com is in your name and you have complete control over the server. That means YOU need to be paying the hosting bill. With my limited knowledge of servers I would advise you not to go with a server located in someones closet. I have been happy with http://www.godaddy.com/ 24/7 telephone questions for when you get confused.

As far as I am concerned, the words of Morph999 down in the cesspool are worth more then money so you got a deal here.

Just to let it be known - The layout of this forum is my favorite way that I like a forum to be. I have been playing around with phpBB. Having lots of fun talking to my self over here http://voltev.com/forum/

If I wake up some morning and see a black background with white text on endless-sphere.com I will fall off my chair.

Thanks again!

Wow, are you human? or some kind of Borg?
We are here to talk about our hobby. That is non essential but very important part of our lives. It seems to me, you are interested only in money and present moment. I do not know if the rest of member agree or not, but I for one, am interested in non-essential part of life, as well as essential part.

In your logic, we don't need to know our history, past. We don't need anything other than what we really NEED, which according to you, is money. We don't need any museum, library, history book or archive. You may have a bike but just to get to work, not for joy ride, after all, it is non-essential. Is that a life?

I do not post here often, almost non, but let me tell you my history. I made an ebike, actuary a trike, over 20 years ago when ebike did not exist. The frame was made out of titanium tube and the motor was 1 hp Scott motor with a bunch of F cells. I wish this forum was there when I was making the trike. I made a lot of mistake but I finished the job and I still have the trike. I could learn a lot from other member, from their mistake or success. I am still learning that's why I come to here to read what other's doing.

You may not know, as a human, the history is very important as well as the present. That's the reason why we try to preserve here. This is the place we can see what's going on now and how we get here. Without history, archive, we are nothing but a bunch of animals. We learn from the past and apply that to the future. I wish someday, somebody remove your Borg implant and you come back to human society.[/quote]

Well you have One Year on me Ishikawa. I built my first E-Bike 19 years ago using a 2.0 HP Bosch Can Motor. I also created a business a year later installing E-Motor Systems on old geezer trikes for physically handicapped adults and kids. It was a non-profit business the government took over 3 years later believing they could do a better job and the Biz died soon after because the Government decided Seniors and Handicapped people don't need to go 15 to 18 MPH and should only go 5 to 7 mph and they figured Handicapped Mobility Scooters were better than big wheel trikes. I then started designing and building mostly Recumbent trikes and electrified them. I became a Distributor for Currie, Bikit, Saturn, Thinkar and a slew of other e-motor manufacturers. I got Canada to Legalize E-Bikes at the Federal level. I discovered a small company in China called Crystalyte in 2001 and became their only Distributor and set up Dealers around the Planet....many of whom are still with us. Justin LE was still a 2nd year University student when I sent him a couple of Hub Motors and stuff that didn't work. He had this desire to play with e-motor technology which eventually migrated into the UBC E-Bike Club and then ebikes.ca. I had the honor of meeting Justin and having him stay overnight a few years ago on his ride frm C2C and we stayed up chatting 7 hours flat out and I was in awe of his mind and how it worked. I have been a Cyclist all my life, never owned a Car and my wife and infant daughter were killed in 1969 when a tractor trailer jackknifed and the Car they were passengers in slammed into the truck and the small Car exploded. That incident along with several other lost relatives and friends in Car crashes made me dislike Cars for life. You refer to E-Bikes as your Hobby, I view E-Bikes as the focus of my existence and why I get up each day. I co-founded several e-bike Forums starting in 1999 and ran 31 Forums solo at one point. I was chief Moderator of a Group for Moderators. What I don't do is hang around Endless-Sphere simply because I have my own Forum to manage and well my life is rather busy dealing with people, colleges and organizations.

PS If you believe I live in a gigantic Cube as a part of a collective travelling through space and have all these biogenic implants that is okay with me but you might consider increasing the dossage of whatever meds you're taking.

My thanks to Justin will take 2 forms:

1. Since I purchased my first frock motor from him, I plan to put a testimonial in my sig.
2. Any future purchases will be from him (unless I go RC).

Good morning all, what's happened since the last update?

Is ES still an operating forum? Looks like it... :? Still ad-free too, which is great :)

I guess I could do some work in the meantime :lol:

CHRIS

To keep people in the loop, the agreement has been signed and most of the transfers completed, we have the endless-sphere.com domain now. However, the transfer of the actual database and hosting account won't be able to finish until tomorrow. After that is completed then the deal can be officially declared 'done' and we will make a formal announcement letter.

There were lots of people who made the salvaging of ES possible before it went to the dumps. Methods, BigMoose, Luke, Fetcher etc. all deserve huge thanks and I'd especially like to thank GreenMachine who worked furiously on backup plans should the primarly deal fall through. It's been suggested several times that I contact Mike Keefer about arrangements going forward and trust that I haven't been ignoring that, just rather swamped right now.

Justin

PS, Ishikawa, nice to see you here and your 20 year old titanium electric trike rocks in all its hacked together glory, even with the discolored weld joints! It's a museum piece keeper for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back