Back in the Saddle: Going to California: 2011

Who needs a tailwind with dinner on the plate & a view of home sweet home... though it may be a bit damp. :) Ok, one day or two of rest if needed, then it's time for back-fill & pics. 8)

Your trip is more like a slow speed motorcycle adventure considering the daily mileage you achieved. :shock:

You posted few complaints with the trailer once you left the home area... did it exceed your expectations? What improvements or changes would you make for a trailer trip next time :?: Wider & shorter? Two wheels? Or ?

Kingfish said:
I left McMinnville at 6:10 AM heading north on Hwy 47 up to Forest Grove, then...
On the road again in a moment, KF
I knew McMinnville sounded familiar but, I couldn't remember... It's the home of the Spruce Goose! I'm not sure how it ended up there, I mean it's sooo far inland and this is a gigantic seaplane. Nice town though. We had breakfast there and the people were nice.

I'm Home!

Got off tne ferry and decided to blast on over I-90 cos the sky was spitting down big drop rain. By the time I got to Bellevue it was blustery and dark. Then in Redmond it began to cut loose. I managed to unload bike and trailer in record-time and under cover.

And now, the bad news:
When I left I unplugged all that could be. But my router went TU and I cannot get access. Fontier is sending me a replacement; should have it by Thursday with luck.

Also, I have to move this week. Imagine back in June when I first thouth I could leave (in fact it was the day I reported that the aliens above me had sprung a leak) I received a 20-day notice to vacate from the aliens that own the hill. It took some mojo though I was able to put them off until I got back. So - starting tomorrow I'll need to move. It's not far though; 40 feet. Won't need to rent a truck :)

This means I cannot post pics or backfill as quickly as I'd like. Just be patient and gimme some time. This hunting and pecking on the dumbphone though is for da birds.

Dumbphone doesn't have arrow keys and I think it dislikes the ES editor something fierce :(

STATS:
Arrived about 2:30 PM
StartV = 63.4, End = 56.3
Distance = 118.1; Total Odometer = 2566 miles :D
Regen = 3.3%
Vmin = 54.5
MaxS = 39.6
AveS = 27.1
Time = 4:21:22

I'm in dire need of a shower and food, so I'll check in a bit later.

ALL THE PICTURES HAVE BEEN DOWNLOADED FROM THE PHONE :)

More as I can, and Thank You for your kind support on this long endevor!
Cheers to you, KF

Kingfish,
I like the novel. I haven't read a GOOD book in a long time :lol:
Looking forward to the backfill. Do we need to read it again?
Really, it was a great story.

I was afraid to ask. Did you get any hassle from the law? You did mention you past one at 32mph without a look. Anything else?

Great stuff.
Dan

I am so very impressed with your dedication to this dream and making it happen.

most dream few make it happen I would be very proud. Id like to see a pic of the bike at the end.

GJGJGJ

The first true ameriican sport-touring ebike holiday. And what a fantastic journey it was. I enjoyed reading it, kind of disapointed it's over now... :cry: Very inspiring though. Lots and lots of persistence :mrgreen:

deVries said:
Who needs a tailwind with dinner on the plate & a view of home sweet home... though it may be a bit damp. :) Ok, one day or two of rest if needed, then it's time for back-fill & pics. 8)

Your trip is more like a slow speed motorcycle adventure considering the daily mileage you achieved. :shock:

You posted few complaints with the trailer once you left the home area... did it exceed your expectations? What improvements or changes would you make for a trailer trip next time :?: Wider & shorter? Two wheels? Or ?

Since I am denied a pc for a while, I shall try to do my very best to respond by hunt & peck ;)

Trailer: Once the re-balance of the load was accomplished, and the on-the-road adjustments were sorted, I was pretty happy about how it trailed bebhind. Of course there isn't much in the way of suspension ~ and I am here to tell you that it sure took a shed-load of pounding!! But overall, the biggest aspect that required attention was tensioning of the cover, and packing of the gear

Did I say I hate this @#&$ dumbphone?

As I was saying, packing of the trailer continued to evolve all the way to the end of the trip as I figured out ways to quickly get to tools, clothes, charger, or work in reverse: Quickly stow my fleece and Seattle Jacket without major repack. The best advice I can offer is to use those 10 liter sacks to store gear, parts, food. Grab and go! Being unitized like that makes the job of packing/unpacking/redistribution much faster :)

At times I wished I had more room; can never have enough of that ;)

Two wheels would have been more stable, though I think that for my particular mission it worked about as well as planned. Next year I would like to do a purpose-built trailer; from scratch.

The length was fine, as was the width; I was happy that the width was lesa than the handlebars and rhat the road to base clearance was greater than the curb.

My only regret was that I wasn't able to mount the trailer Blinkies and Indicators; that would have been delux! :)

Best, KF

edcastrovalley said:
Kingfish said:
I left McMinnville at 6:10 AM heading north on Hwy 47 up to Forest Grove, then...
On the road again in a moment, KF
I knew McMinnville sounded familiar but, I couldn't remember... It's the home of the Spruce Goose! I'm not sure how it ended up there, I mean it's sooo far inland and this is a gigantic seaplane. Nice town though. We had breakfast there and the people were nice.

I sure wanted to stay much closer to the center of activity, but it was like a 2 mile hike :cry:

A neat town to be sure. I did not have time to see the SG though.
Best, KF :)

DAND214 said:
Kingfish,
I like the novel. I haven't read a GOOD book in a long time :lol:
Looking forward to the backfill. Do we need to read it again?
Really, it was a great story.

I was afraid to ask. Did you get any hassle from the law? You did mention you past one at 32mph without a look. Anything else?

Great stuff.
Dan
Dan, if I wrote the full story out, would you read it? :D

I don't publish everything cos this is a public forum.

Da Phuz: Nope, not even a hard look as far as I could tell. I did wave at a few trying to intice some socialization and community, but no bites ~ other than that one time with the CHiP at the stateline when I wuz syphoning off a free charge... but you already know that story ;) hehe

Atfter awhile I didn't bother slowing down for da phuz; push the limit and see wot it iz :twisted:

Best, KF

ohzee said:
I am so very impressed with your dedication to this dream and making it happen.

most dream few make it happen I would be very proud. Id like to see a pic of the bike at the end.

GJGJGJ

I don't have one at The Very End... I thought about taking a pic, but I hates rain when trying to unpack. There are however several nice pics taken on the ferry with is about 20 miles before The Very End if that will do :)

As soon as I can git the replacement router or move complete I shall upload said pics :D

Thank you for your kind compliments, best KF

grindz145 said:
The first true ameriican sport-touring ebike holiday. And what a fantastic journey it was. I enjoyed reading it, kind of disapointed it's over now... :cry: Very inspiring though. Lots and lots of persistence :mrgreen:

Oh heck! This ain't over friend; this is the beginning! :twisted:

Wot we needs is more going out there (cos the truth is there, right?) and making journeys abroad, recording them, influencing peoples, making friendly contacts, business contacts, figuring out wot systems work well, reporting back on good roads, and the ones to avoid. That's the stuff of wot we are, yes? :D

AND ~ there is more story to come! :mrgreen:

Stay tuned... KF

i told you to take an extra few minutes(maybe 10 max) and go to the bike shop 5 blocks down the street and get the little lock nut for your fender stay. you shoulda listened to me. nonono, no time, gotta go, how long was that fender dragging? hahaha

anyway, i was talking to another honda wagon fanatic friend and mentioned you and he said he had seen you headed out hwy 26 towards mount hood the day you left. small world.

next year will be on a trike.

you were my first client at my neighborhood EV charging spot.

for anyone else tempting fate this way, y'all stop by anytime you need a charge.

dnmun said:
i told you to take an extra few minutes(maybe 10 max) and go to the bike shop 5 blocks down the street and get the little lock nut for your fender stay. you shoulda listened to me. nonono, no time, gotta go, how long was that fender dragging?
That fender was a beotch the whole time, nagging away. I completely removed the forwad part of the fender, and the aft part was hung above the pivot point, but it still managwd to gripe every now and then. The issues are:
A. Big fat tires
B. Narrowish rear suspension
C. Frame not designed with fenders in mind
D. A lot of suspension travel
E. Crappy fenders
F. Axle shifting

Methinks a little screw would not have fixed the problems :lol: :)
Cheers, KF

Today I took the bike out without the trailer and I had to relearn how to ride it; without all that weigh it seemed like far too much power for that little frame. By the end of the day though I was hot-rodding around Redmond giving the streets hell :twisted:

Not much success with the Internet today; I tried again to fix the router but it's a lost cause. I expect to be back online by Friday when my service gets moved to the new digs.

Not much else to report; just getting my stuff sorted and making ready to move.
~KF

Kingfish said:
Not much success with the Internet today; I tried again to fix the router but it's a lost cause. I expect to be back online by Friday when my service gets moved to the new digs.
Hey, you can always write & save your posts into a text file if the creative juices flow... get your pics loaded into a directory for upload... :D though moving has got to put a damper on that to some extent. :p

Internet access was setup yesterday at the new digs, however I hates typing on the floor. The move should be completed Saturday and I'll be able to "write" with normalcy.

The one advantage to moving is that I get to reorganize and sort out what is of value and part with what is obsolete. Still, this room is devoid of living space, and there is much left to do. Be patient; at least I have a real computer to work with again :)

Cheers, KF

So today my buddy from Medford and I took a little trike ride to the market in Langlois, a little town North of Port Orford, for one of their world famous hot dogs.

http://www.langloismarket.com/

Just as we were getting ready to leave on our trikes, the two guys that had parked their large older Honda motorcycles next to us, came out. One of them had a bunch of questions about my trike, and in the course of the conversation, he mentioned the bicycle with a trailer he had recently seen, going down a hill at about 40 MPH and pedaling. He then described your ride to a tee. :D

Rassy said:
So today my buddy from Medford and I took a little trike ride to the market in Langlois, a little town North of Port Orford, for one of their world famous hot dogs.

http://www.langloismarket.com/

Just as we were getting ready to leave on our trikes, the two guys that had parked their large older Honda motorcycles next to us, came out. One of them had a bunch of questions about my trike, and in the course of the conversation, he mentioned the bicycle with a trailer he had recently seen, going down a hill at about 40 MPH and pedaling. He then described your ride to a tee. :D
:lol: Yes, I suppose I could legitimally take credit for that one ;)

I'm still not fully moved in yet. Big items remain inxluding the desk, table, sofa, and center part of the E.C. all of which need two men & a boy :(

So I'm still camped out at the old digs for one more night.

Plenty tired of this moving business, KF

IT'S OFFICIAL:
I have moved the sofa (place to sleep)
And the dining table (place to work)
And the coffee pot (java!java!java!java!)

Thus - I have moved from one hovel to another slightly more stylized hovel.

Now I can finally get down to the business of doing business :D
There's still a bit of cleanup, unpacking, and unloading to Goodwill... but the vast majority is completed. New digs looks very cool indeed! A chance to reorganize :)

Quaffing quarts quietly in celebration, KF

im excited for the travel log finishing touches.id read a whole script for sure,i like yer writing style.thanks.

beast775 said:
im excited for the travel log finishing touches.id read a whole script for sure,i like yer writing style.thanks.
Gosh <kick pebble> thanks most kindly :) I have been thinking quite a bit what to write and how to scribe it as I have been moving my goods and archives... like a narrative in my head. Thankfully I am blesswd (or cursed depending on the situation) with a near photograghic memory, so retention is not an issue - unless there is diress, like heat, water-stress, um... hangover... normal human stuff that makes life difficult ;)

Regardless, it with hope that I may continue the dialog in earnest tomorrow evening - if not sooner :)

Best regards to all, where ever your journey takes you! KF :D
ADDENDUM: 23:13 - We is alive and online, hardwired and actualized! 25 MB/s up and down: Yeah baby give it to me! :twisted:

ADDENDUM #2: Monday 8/29 ~ 13:27 - I am still moving. Actually cleaning up old digs and staging for Salvation Army and Recycle pickups. I think today will be the last of it though, at least for that old place. I'll still need to unpack and sort out my situation in the new place though; it's going to be a while before I can get to ebike parts, or to my clothes for that matter :| But, at least I can relax at night and watch Netflix :)

Backfill #7
Part 1: Getting Ready for the Return

This particular backfill begins after #6; Tuesday August 9th Pioneer to Fresno. As a particularly long chronicle, I have decided to post it in parts for better organization.

Being late of start, my time in Fresno if I had kept to the schedule would have me leave on Friday August 12th after only two days’ rest. This was impossible for it took me a day to recover from the effects of heat stroke alone, and it would not allow me enough time to coordinate visitation with my family tribe or with my best friends, therefore I added an extra day to my rest and planned to head out Saturday, August 13th.

On Wednesday the 10th, I spent most of my time writing down the details and backfilling the previous day’s events since Bend, Oregon. My half-sistor took me out to Me-N-Ed’s Pizza Parlor at Herndon/West, and I pretty much scarfed down a whole medium pie by myself and likely a ½ gallon of water with it. I was so dehydrated from the previous day that my body hadn’t urinated more than a dribble in the past 24 hours, thus the effort was made to overtly drink liquids frequently through the day (and actually the practice remained for the rest of the trip, even if the amount was small). By Thursday afternoon I began to feel human again, though the ravenous thirst continued for much longer.

Friday, I moved my operations from my brother’s to my pal’s house and then we spent the afternoon finding stuff to affect repairs to the bike and running errands; Radio Shack, Bank, beer. Oh, did I say beer? :D Forgive me but Fresno has one of the finest microbreweries in the county: Sequoia Brewing Company. Um well… OK, perhaps it is the only microbrewery in the county – but it’s really quite good and let me tell you how to get there:

• Take any heading towards Fresno. You want to go to the Tower District which is nestled between Van Ness and Palm Avenues and bisected by Olive Avenue. It is a small liberal hamlet, a vestige carved out in the late 1920’s and 30’s just south of Fresno City College (at the time called Fresno State Collage), and is the arty heart of the city formed around the old Tower Theatre; a tall art deco spire-crested movie house built in 1939. Many of the homes surrounding the area are stylized as small English-storybook homes with highly pitched roofs, or Dutch-influenced cottages, with faerie accents, friendly gnomish-inspired topiaries, under tall street-lined sycamore canopy. If I won the lotto and moved back to Fresno, I’d have a house near here! The Brewpub pins down the second corner of the Theatre lot facing Olive Avenue; you can’t miss it. We enjoyed a couple of pints of award-winning thirst-quenching brew.
Saturday morning we got up early and I finally got around to doing maintenance and repairs. Lucky for me the heat index in Fresno was below 100°F for the entire stay, least I would melt into a puddle; the weather felt like mid-October rather than mid-August… strange. The downside to all this activity meant that I would be leaving far later than planned and I did not get to all the modifications. My friends fed me twice to be sure I was preloaded with carbs.

• Replacement tubes: On Wednesday I placed an order for inner tubes to replace the backups and rushed the delivery; these arrived Friday evening despite being marked as overnight-priority with delivery guaranteed by 3 PM Friday; UPS does not honor this if delivering to a residence. These were unboxed and packed within the trailer.
  • 2nd-Motor Throttle cutout Problem: One theory for why the rear hub would cut out was that the blade contact within the Molex connector was insufficient; therefore I removed the wires from the plug and created a dedicated M/F bullet-type link which should eliminate all flakey contact.
  • Cleaning: Degreasing and washing down the bike and trailer felt good and rewarding; nothing like a spiffy-looking machine to impress my fellow friends in San Francisco. :)
Finally, I departed about 11:30 AM. The exact route to Santa Cruz I had discussed both with my brother and with my pal. There were really only direct two ways to go: via Pacheco Pass or Panoche Pass; the mileage was about the same regardless of the route. Brother had taken the Panoche Road back in the 1970’s on a cross-country trek to Carmel and back and had warned me that the road was compacted dirt for part of the way. We had discussed the alternate route via Pacheco Pass though it too has issues, namely that it is a very high-traffic Highway 152, and yet – we know this road very well. The big question and unknown was the condition of Panoche Pass Road (J1) after 40 years. The Plan, as discussed with my brother then was to take Pacheco Pass and spend the night in Gilroy, being a known quantity despite the high risk. However, my buddy told me that they had just taken Pacheco Pass Road last year and it was paved all the way between Mendota to Hollister; He said it had some rough spots – but that it was nothing I couldn’t handle. To add humor, he suggested that Panoche translates from Spanish as “Night Bread”, and started calling it “Night Bread Road”. Finally he convinced me that Night Bread Road would be a lot safer than taking Pacheco Pass, and with that – I had to agree, and in doing so determined which direction to leave: North and West, or South and West. Mea West once said: “Given the choice between two evils, I’ll take the one I haven’t tried.” And so – I gambled.

Don't go away... KF :wink:

Backfill #7
Part 2: Fresno to Hollister - Across the Valley

Leisurely heading south past Roeding Park, I ambled down below Whites Bridge Road at Brawley Avenue, to Madison Avenue/Kearney Blvd before turning west. My thinking was to parallel Hwy 180/Whites Bridge Road all the way past Kearny Park and through Kerman. This worked out quite well being a road far less traveled and lined with tall palms that shaded my journey during midday.

Funny story about Kearny Park: When I was in the Cub Scouts we had a tour of Kearny Park. Somewhere off in the distance I recalled a band play. Being curious I wandered off to discover an amphitheater, thus I climbed over to inspect and low and behold – who do I see but my older sistor and her best friend, all hippied-out with beads, big hair, and mod-clothing. The surprise was mutual: “What are you doing here?!?” Mine was easy enough to explain. They however came out to see Paul Revere and the Raiders which I thought was “groovy”, and I told them so. My sistor just called me a dork and waved me off. She wuz right; I wuz a dork, and probably still am. :roll:

Kearney Blvd borders the north side of the namesake County Park which had an attendant at the entrance which discouraged my desire to explore more thoroughly; I kept on a westward bead happy to be in the shade. The sky was lightly covered with very high thin clouds and this had a pleasant shading effect of knocking down the heat two notches. Along this path I noted that the air was more humid, particularly when I rode past a flooded orchard; I was grateful for any reduction in heat at whatever the price.

Passing through Kerman was uneventful; it is a small town resembling more of a bedroom community rather than of farm origins with some stately homes gated by high walls. What sort of crime occurs here that they should need these high walls so far removed from any other town? Kearney Blvd, or now more appropriately a “farm road” ends with a sharp right turn heading north as Shasta Avenue, and ½ mile later crosses Whites Bridge Road. It was an easy left-hand turn to make; traffic was light, the road was in excellent condition and with ample wide margins. The wind was light, the heat was rising, and I have a very long straight stretch of very flat farmland before me; the Coast Range Mountains are just coming into view through the Valley Haze. Where orchards have given way to field crops, the heat rises proportionally, yet there is enough humidity that I no longer require the use of Chap Stick. The downside though is that there are no trees for shade. Too subtle for the eye, the road is heading downwards to the bottom of the Valley. Small details provide clues: crops yield to weedy range grasses and bleached soils with occasional reedy drainage sloughs.

At the bottom, we finally cross over White’s Bridge at King’s Slough – hence the sobriquet of the road of Highway 180 west of Fresno (with the east side being called King’s Canyon Road after the National Park). Shortly after crossing, the road trends northwest towards Mendota. The ground here is a dichotomy of arid wasteland and wildlife refuge – possibly doubling as a sink to farming runoff. The ground is white and without grass or evidence of any life except at the marshy borders. People fish from the bridges or from beneath the solo cottonwood.

I once or twice passed through Kerman as a kid. There was a guy on TV who sold trucks in Kerman; his tag line was “I’ll stand on my head to make you a better deal!” I always wanted to go to Kerman to see if he would. But I do not recall ever passing through Mendota or even having a reason to do so. It is a small farming town devoid of thick canopy as Kerman is. I pulled into the Valero Gas Station about 1:30 PM under sparse shade to stock up on Gatorade – and in fact I bought two quarts with a Muscle Milk; it’s so hot that I can hardly eat. Choked down the muscle milk and about ½ of the Gatorade; the last five miles were murderous as the heat was reflected off the alkali, salt …and talus.

I was doing my routine of stretch and watering-up as locals pulled into the Valero; I smiled at them and they smiled back, curious about my ebike. The Latin origins are quite evident here. One stopped to inquire about my destination and I told him that I was headed to Hollister on Panoche Road. He said that he knew the road well and provided me with directions via Shields Avenue. I asked if the road was paved and he said that it was, although there are some rough spots – but he thought that I could make it. “Great!” I said. Mendota seemed like a nice town; I wished that I had more time to visit.

Wrapping up my 15-minute break, I headed out Belmont Avenue to Hwy 33 and took that south for about 3 miles to Panoche/California Road where again I turned westward towards the Valley’s eastern edge with the foothills plainly in view now. This is a big wide farm road in very good condition – though with a lot of big-truck traffic. Winds were slightly breezier here and it took about 20 miles/45 minutes to reach I-5 at about 2:30 PM. I was completely grateful for the full-service interchange and small shaded pull-off besides the fast-food palaces. Here I rested one last time and watered-up. Then I posted on ES just in case before heading out west.

More... KF

Back