Ebike Project 72V HS3540 UK "build thread" +Videos!

Okay, some people wonder what I'm doing so here is my todo list:
Order either 600w or 900w bulk charger from bmsbattery
Order batteries (8 x 5s 5000mah)
Buy battery master switch

Currently done:
Battery 72v setup wire harness
Lyen Controller programming
Ordered battery medics (balancer)
Upgrade parts for bike

Progress:
Making brake light with micro switch (also ebrake)
Making headlight
Lots of soldering

My estimated aim of 72v setup done day is by the end of SEPTEMBER! :mrgreen:

Its been some time with no progress and no nothing...but im making my moves now :wink:
I'm making my battery orders tomorrow so Give me shout if im making some stupid mistakes! :shock:
8 X T5000.5S.20 - Turnigy 5000mAh 5S 20C Lipo Pack (20s2p)
also spare balancing leads for bulk balance charging.

More pictures and action to come in 3weeks time when Im back in UK! :mrgreen:

Today i logged in and realised all the pictures has gone!!!! :evil: :x :cry:
since I haven't made much progress with number of pages like others I've decided to re-upload the pictures! :wink:
so almost all the pictures are back and working :mrgreen:

Nice build! I'm planning out my build for a 20S lipo bike using 4S 20C turnigy hard case lipo packs. I was just wondering how you found the quality of the battery medics from eBay to be? I am thinking about getting some myself. Although, can you get away using only 1 battery medic to balance one battery at a time every ten cycles or so?

Battery medics are same quality as hk ones.
If you are thinking of using one battery medic to balance that will take 4 times longer than using 4...
How come you are using 4s packs??

rui_fujino said:
Battery medics are same quality as hk ones.
If you are thinking of using one battery medic to balance that will take 4 times longer than using 4...
How come you are using 4s packs??

Thanks for the reply! I'm using the 4s packs as they are the cheapest quality lipo around and they are hardcased for extra protection. I would also like to get 20s for a nice 74V nominal battery pack, so I either need 5s or 4s packs and the 4s are cheaper.

Its been couple weeks without any updates but here is what's been happening!
I received my 83V 5A charger for bulk charging.
I got my master battery switch (max 100A)
Also I'm back in UK with my bike!

Upcoming!
• Photos of bike with upgrades!
•Photos of charger/battery

Here is the pic of my BMSbattery charger.

Its 83.0V,5A, 600w bulk charger (UK input double pole connector output). I told them to add opposite side of double pin 75amp connector and they did it for free!
It came in 12days after I made my payment so I'm very pleased!

Are your battery medics and charger working well together? How long did it take for the battery medics to arrive from eBay?

Hello Rui,

Nice looking build. I have a quick question, have you loaded the flaconEV triangle battery bag with your 8 lipo bricks yet and if so, how did they fit in the bag? I currently have a powerinmotion triangle bag but its small and only just fits 4x bricks in it so im looking for something a bit bigger.

I had problem with HK shipping battery to me so they have been delayed. But the good news is that my battery is already in my country so I'll get them in next few days or even today!
As soon as I get the battery I'll get back to you guys about how it fits and how I charge with pictures!

Edit: my battery medic arrived in 6days

rui_fujino said:
I had problem with HK shipping battery to me so they have been delayed. But the good news is that my battery is already in my country so I'll get them in next few days or even today!
As soon as I get the battery I'll get back to you guys about how it fits and how I charge with pictures!

Nice one thanks :) Looking foreward to the updates.

Finally! My battery has arrived this morning after 3weeks of waiting :D. I have tested all the batteries and so far all of them are between 3.85~3.87v and happy with it :).
IMG-20110928-00237.jpg
Also, since I havnt really shown any of my bike pics I've taken some with my battery fitted into the falconEV triangle bag ;) (I have perfect space and more for my power switch to fit in :D)View attachment 1
Last pic is my bike after upgrading!IMG-20110928-00238.jpg

Nice looking setup there Rui,

Thanks for the pics of the Triangle bag and batteries... Just added a FalconEV triangle bag to my shopping list :) Good luck finishing the build off.

Okay, today I finished all the wiring and cleared my mind to do important stuff like waterproofing, checking connections, checking +/- on battery etc...

Then I decided to charge my battery for tmr so I connected all up with battery medics and pluged into BMSbattery 600w bulk charger...and guess what...charger was broken and no sign of life...I've opened it up and I see cooling fan broken(plastic parts are snapped) and most of the heat sink screws are so loose...(Power indicator light won't even come on...) :'(

Anyway, I've made complaint and hopefully theyl send me new one!
Here is pic of the day....IMG-20110929-00247.jpgIMG-20110929-00250.jpg

Okay, its been sometime and just to update what's going on.

At the moment I'm waiting for new BMSBattery charger(600w) because they came broken, I had to pay $24 for shipping fee....but after all its not too bad, I get new one while I don't need to send back the old one.

I am also fixing problem with lyen controller and motor...controller is little dead...

Mean while, I've been upgrading my bike so here is my new rock shox front fork!
Rebound, preload and lockout adjustment.
IMG-20111009-00280.jpg

It's good to know that BMSBattery are quick to respond and replace faulty items. In my case my battery charger, etc arrived OK and working but good to know all the same....

mfosker said:
It's good to know that BMSBattery are quick to respond and replace faulty items. In my case my battery charger, etc arrived OK and working but good to know all the same....
well i did had to email them couple time to let them know the situation and to prove how its not working,...

New lipo charger from bmsbattery and controller are on its way! As well as that, I have made couple more upgrades to my bike!
1, New front wheel with shimano disc hub!
IMG-20111011-00285.jpg

2, Manitou Swinger 3 way upgraded from 165mm spring to 190mm air!. Has SPV, rebound adjustment. So much lighter and more travel!!
IMG-20111015-00309.jpg

Edit: air shock makes sooooo much difference! Unbelievable:D

Quick update! I got my 2nd 12fet lyen controller today! Which means I can now plug that into my old battery set (54v hot) nd get going while bms charger is on its way! Once bmscharger arrives, I can run my 84v hot lipo! :D
Mean while, I'm thinking of getting Avid BB7 (2011) disc brake with cleansweep discs!
Oh, and air shock makes a MASSIVE difference on road! Its amazing! Never going bk to coil again!!
IMG-20111022-00317.jpg

Hey nice build, I'm building a similar spec bike myself and I'm focusing my attention on finding the best charging method at the moment so I'm keen to hear how your BMS charger works out although sounds like the first unit they sent was a bit poo.

Are you going to have andy protection inside the battery bag at the point where the shock rubs, LiPos are really easy to damage and it looks like you only have padding on the sides?

RichiePA said:
Hey nice build, I'm building a similar spec bike myself and I'm focusing my attention on finding the best charging method at the moment so I'm keen to hear how your BMS charger works out although sounds like the first unit they sent was a bit poo.

Are you going to have andy protection inside the battery bag at the point where the shock rubs, LiPos are really easy to damage and it looks like you only have padding on the sides?

these Falcon EV bags has very thick layer (5mm) hard plastic so they wont be any problem. plus if anything, i can flip the valve of the shock to opposite side so i wont have any issue with them...tho if i do that, i wont be able to pump the shock easily...
BMS has already dispatched the item so hopefully i'll get it within next 2 -3 weeks :wink:
what's your setup like?

rui_fujino said:
what's your setup like?
The bike it's self is coming on nicely, I started with a big chunky downhill bike as I knew the bike would end up being big and chunky anyways, its not finished yet tho I'm giving myself a bit of time to ride the bike before I finish it off completely. Hopefully this means I can iron out the bugs now rather than finish it and then start changing stuff as I realise it doesn't quite work like I expected. link to my build thread is in my signature.

for the time being I'm running on 1/3rd of the total battery pack just 4 5S 5Ahr packs in series untill I can make a battery box to fit all 12(4s3p). So as you can imagine there's a lot og gaffa tape holding everything in place right now but it seems ok.

As I said its the charging which is my biggest issue at the moment. I only have a turningy accucel 6 50W charger so this take 90-120min to charge just one individual pack. bulk charging sounds like its the way forward but there seems to be a whole load of different ways you can charge bigger lipo packs so the more feedback I can get the better. the last thing I want to do is spend hundreds of £ and then find I could have done it better or cheaper. I'm really tempted by the Hyperion duo3 1000W balancing lipo chager but its £200+ and I'd need a pretty expensive power supply to run it.

How much was your charger if you dont mind me asking?

Back