14kw continuous 94% efficient motor.......

Reveal WHAT project details? I've been following this since it's inception, is there a secret project being built around this motor or something?

So, in sum, what project are you NOT building? I'm confused.

Katou

Yes, there is a secret project. No, I can't reveal the details. I will say that the info is out there. The motor will get the final hall mount (custom machined and etched pcb) soon and will get load tested soon after that.

Any word of availability for us non racing normal folk?

So we've had A LOT of setbacks, but we're finally ready to do serious load testing. The battery guys just now got the battery ready for us...There will be some fun stuff coming soon!

coleasterling said:
So we've had A LOT of setbacks, but we're finally ready to do serious load testing. The battery guys just now got the battery ready for us...There will be some fun stuff coming soon!

Wait, let me guess, the battery is from EEStor? :mrgreen:

This thing is a BEAST. You guys who are thinking of putting it on a bike are crazy!(in the best way possible...this is coming from a person building a 175hp Amod style car that weighs 450lbs). I still can't share details, but testing has started out really well. With the kind of power we're putting to it, it gets hot quickly, but cools down relatively quickly as well because of the low thermal mass.(compared to something like the Perm 132) It would be pretty much perfect for liquid cooling(the can is perfect for it) and I am considering doing it for our project.

The hall sensor solution works great and even the controller is doing well. We're going to start data-logging soon, so maybe I'll have some graphs of current, voltage, temp, rpm, etc... for you guys.

Lastly, I think 14kW is pretty accurate. I'll have to do some more testing to see just how long it can do it, though. If we're talking continuous as literally non-stop all day, then no, it won't do that. It will get heat soaked and all sorts of bad will happen. For an automotive type project where the duty cycle at full power is relatively low, the first loaded tests have me thinking it will do just fine. We tested at a max of 200A last night and will be doing up to 400A as soon as our batteries get cycled a few times. Bottom line, looks great so far!!

Awesome cant wait!!!

My advise is this...Absolutely run this motor. Don't run a Kelly. We ran it because Kelly is the only company who had a controller with our specs and who would pay us any attention. Oh, also, while the super shiny motor looks great, it isn't so good for heat transfer. We sandblasted the can and it lowered motor temps several degrees with absolutely no other changes. It is definitely worth it to do this. I'll post pictures up when I can.

Last edited:
wow that is sooo cool!

Matt- any news on the 14kw motor available for sale yet? :twisted: :mrgreen:

really impressive stuff!

RESPECT!

recumpence said:
crap said:
any progress on this motor, or has the project died?
We have other things happening right now. But, I can tell you this is not a dead project.....
Hey matt can you share any details on the controller and motor eg. The stator teath and mag polls? Inductance? Resistance? Controller type and resistance.

Arlo1 said:
recumpence said:
crap said:
any progress on this motor, or has the project died?
We have other things happening right now. But, I can tell you this is not a dead project.....
Hey matt can you share any details on the controller and motor eg. The stator teath and mag polls? Inductance? Resistance? Controller type and resistance.
Yeah, that's particularly what i've been searching for in spy phone other threads. Would be cool, guys..

recumpence said:
Here are the specs;

Can length--- 4.5 inches
Can diameter--- 3.75 inches
Shaft diameter--- 1/2 inch (keyway shafts will be used)
Expected efficiency--- 94% (more on this later)
Continuous power--- 14kw
Burst power--- 25kw
Weight--- Under 7 pounds (expected)
[..]
Oh, I expect the sensorless motor to be $950
[..]

Matt
What's the Kv rating and inductivity of this motor?

Back