Planned Server Downtime, August 31st 19:30 PST

MRVass said:
OlderThanDirt said:
Michael,

My data logging software at http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17458 appears to have gone missing again. When will it be safe to upload it?

Thanks for all the hard work!

I'm actually having a bit of trouble right now restoring the attachments, and I'll let you know when it's finished, but it would certainly be safe to re-upload any file at any time, such as your software. PHPbb just treats the new attachment as a new file.
If you are having any computer confusion? Good place to ask questions is here. Lots of smart people here.
Good phpBB forums here http://www.phpbb.com/
Also don't be afraid to call the server people.
If the attachments are gone forever? We will still love you.

I'm not sure if it's a problem with the attachments themselves, or if it is with PHPBB settings, but there are apparently some posts like this: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=453192#p453192
that still show images as links but should show them inline. They *are* present if I click the link, but dont' show inline. Other images the same size and type in other posts *do* show inline, in the same thread.

Interesting AW, I tried every picture on the page you linked and every one reported
The selected attachment does not exist anymore.
The ony picture I can see on the page is still in-line, it's the picture of your fence materials that was cross posted.

I am patiently waiting for the corrupted-character fixes. We have a double-dose now that the database has been moved again. Per request, I forwarded my previous MySQL script fixes onward to MRVass last week (nods and thanks to GreenMachine for initiating this); very much looking forward to being able to read older posts. :)

You have a lot on your plate MRVass; we are grateful for your kind efforts! KF :wink:

amberwolf said:
They *are* present if I click the link, but dont' show inline. Other images the same size and type in other posts *do* show inline, in the same thread.
I uploaded images on 8/31. I just tried to edit the post and place the images inline again, but they still only appear as links here.

Hey Everyone, I'm briefly able to be connected again and see that things did not go 100% smooth in the database transfer process to the new server :oops: A rocky start is really not what we were hoping for!

I'm just trying to get caught up on the details but this may be a bit of a deeper and more difficult thing to resolve given some slip-up in how copies of the database backup were saved. MrVass is working on this full time and I really apologize for the current file and image void, and I know what an inconvenience this is for many many people. I'm still on the road and not back at work until this weekend, but will try to stay abreast about what is going on and make sure that you are kept informed over the next few days.

-Justin

Hello again guys, sorry for the information blackout! I had a commitment to a friend's wedding out in the country, and didn't have very good connectivity.

To keep you all updated, we have all the attachments in a backup that I took before I migrated the server and before the old server was pulled, but there was a formatting error in that backup that is not as easy to fix as I had hoped. I was hoping I would have the error fixed via a script before this week, but it seems the error has larger ramifications than I had expected. That said, if someone in the community ever pulled a backup of the attachment files that does not have these formatting errors, please e-mail me, as this will save quite a bit of time.

I will also be looking into the current attachment problems, because business as usual for new attachments should not have been disrupted.

Again, I'm very sorry for the interruption!

karma said:
i wish i would have read this before. before justin purchased the domane i did a full backup in panic thinking the place was going down for good. and it only took 4 days :roll:
Ja, mine took four days too, but I was also grabbing 1 link off-site, to try to get embedded images.

I am getting an error when posting. The post goes through but I think you need to look at the line numbers. :)

Code:
Warning: Unexpected character in input: ''' (ASCII=39) state=1 in /home/sphere/public_html/forums/cache/queue.php on line 3

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ':' in /home/sphere/public_html/forums/cache/queue.php on line 3

Best, KF

I get that as well.. am sure everyone else is. The post still goes through however.

I code PHP all day and it threw me for a loop to see that. My first thought was... huh? what the hell was i working on in this tab? :lol:

SQL errors were fixed yesterday, please tell me if any similar problems occur. Sorry that I didn't update this thread, there seem to be a number of subthreads spawning each time a bug is found or remembered, and I've been posting in those.

Otherwise, good news! Thanks to the efforts of some outstanding people involved with ES, I am now in the process of uploading the rest of the attachments, some of which are in a better state than they were before the server migration (many previous image corruption issues fixed)! Should take the better part of the night. Myself or Justin will post an update/recap when it's finished!

Alright, attachments as of August have been restored! Please let me know if you find anything amiss! A special thanks to Trevor for being extremely responsive and helpful in going through some FTP hoops to get an offsite backup to us that he had taken during his ownership of the forum. His contribution made this problem trivial. Also, many thanks to TylerDurden and marty for providing their website scrapes in the panic after the migration, and the moderator/admin group for all their help! Significant contributions from Kingfish and vodka are yet to be applied... Stay tuned! ...Perhaps in a different topic.

Woot! Right on guys! Good work!

ES forever!

This is great news !

Thanks to everyone involved for all the hard work :D

Topic moved to General Discussion, to stop annoying people with an outdated announcement.

Great work MRVass and everyone, coming back here only recently I wondered where the images had all gone, now I know. I see the forum has a favicon too, I was only thinking it would be nice to have one yesterday now that I've pinned ES as a Firefox Tab. :D

Any chance of getting ATOM/RSS so I can feed new posts into Twitter to follow new topics as they appear? :)

Back