Farfle's Race bike

Farfle

100 kW
Building a bike to race in the upcoming SoCal race, heres some specs:

Bike: Genesis 2100 full susp mtn bike. pretty much just the frame left stock.
Battery: Turnigy 24s2p 5000mah 25c cells
Motor: either a 5303 or 5304 in a 20" wheel. Super modded with Xl cooling vanes and 8 Awg phase wires.
Controller: Either a crazy modded crystalyte 12-fet or lyen 18-fet. probably running around 8-9 kw.
Tires: 20" Kenda Kraze 20x3 on a 32mm rim in the front and a 44mm rim in the back.
Brakes: Gatorbrake 6 piston with 203mm rotor in the front and an Avid BB7 and 160mm rotor in the back.

Ill add some pictures and progress as it goes on.

just a tease as the build goes along :D

IMG955122.jpg

A hubbie race bike hu? Why not put some forced cooling in the motor?

It will be getting some serious forced cooling. Cant tell all but its 68 cu/in and 4.5k PSI.

Farfle said:
It will be getting some serious forced cooling. Cant tell all but its 68 cu/in and 4.5k PSI.
Awesome. I have a E'l cheepo hobbyking ducked fan I was going to try but it was so out of true it just smoked it self!

beware with this wallmart frame ;) so cheap though... I'm looking forward on what you will come up with. Don't you think a proper race bike need to have a longer wheelbase? You will flip it over really easy if you want to accelerate really fast :)

file.php

Thats how I did it on my frame, it ended up bending just under where the motor mounts, but I was jumping and offroading a lot :oops: I'm now making a new swing arm and modding the suspension. I really like your tires/rims combo, SLIIIIKKK ;)

I could TIG together an extended swingarm for it, but unless its a problem I don't want to do any welding on it. Limited to 8kw and with the batt in front of and below the triangle, plus my fat arse onboard it shouldn't be a problem. at least not until I get a 54xx motor :twisted: .

bzhwindtalker said:
beware with this wallmart frame ;) so cheap though... I'm looking forward on what you will come up with. Don't you think a proper race bike need to have a longer wheelbase? You will flip it over really easy if you want to accelerate really fast :)

This wallyworld frame is pretty tough, it stood up to my QC tests :twisted: which involved quickly bolting on the hubmotor and strapping on 4 10lb dive weights to the top tube. And then hitting a 3' drop till I got tired of hearing the rear shock go THUD so I am not going to mess with it. I may get one of the offset seat posts to move it forward a few inches, but it all depends on how it performs.

more pics as progress goes on, controller is mounted, rear wishbone is done and the battery box materials are here. also picked up a new shock but there's no spring! :shock: .

IMG-20110911-00084.jpg

IMG-20110911-00082.jpg

IMG-20110911-00081.jpg

IMG-20110911-00080.jpg

Now you are talking about serious power to the ground ;) I bet you like the handling now, longer wheelbase bikes wok better at high speed IMO! Nice welds too ;)

bzhwindtalker said:
Now you are talking about serious power to the ground ;) I bet you like the handling now, longer wheelbase bikes wok better at high speed IMO! Nice welds too ;)

Thanks mate, just learning how to TIG steel, have been doing aluminum sprinkler pipe forever, but steel is a whoole different game :D .

Great build!!!
Finally someone putting a full suspension 20 inch bike together that does not weigh a ton and is strong as an ox. Also like the stealth real bike look.
Super job on the swing arm.
Love the idea of just modding the lower arm and keeping the rest stock. Makes duplicating this easier than having to fab a hole new rear assembley.
Who made the swing arm?
Keep up the great work. You have raised the bar.

Microbatman said:
Great build!!!
Finally someone putting a full suspension 20 inch bike together that does not weigh a ton and is strong as an ox. Also like the stealth real bike look.
Super job on the swing arm.
Love the idea of just modding the lower arm and keeping the rest stock. Makes duplicating this easier than having to fab a hole new rear assembley.
Who made the swing arm?
Keep up the great work. You have raised the bar.

Thanks mate :D . hoping it performs as well as it looks! got the rear wheel spinning today, albeit the wrong way :(

Great build man. I look forward to seeing it.

Farfle said:
Thanks mate :D . hoping it performs as well as it looks! got the rear wheel spinning today, albeit the wrong way :(
Just turn the bike around and hammer the throttle. You might need to get some bar end mirrors or something though. :lol: :lol:

Good news :D Battery mounting is done Bad news... :( not posting anymore pics until the race!

CHICKEN!

:mrgreen:

It does look like a diamond blade doesn't it?!!

nicobie said:
It that a saw blade you re-purposed as a disc? :shock:

I noticed the old fashioned expansion slots/plugs.

Very good eye, it is indeed a saw blade, $20 harbor freight cheapo 12" thin kerf blade, bolted on with the sidecover screws.

Back