10,000 mile club

sangesf said:
full-throttle said:
Um.. where to begin..

Lets just skip to the end: work is 23km from home. I ride every day, five days a week, 1,000km a month, 12,000km a year..

I don't like being in a car stuck in traffic. I like riding. At work I met Mark_A_W, he hooked me up with a motor - a 250W Bafang that I had to ride full throttle all the time to get anywhere (hence the name full-throttle) Soon after I wanted something better, faster.. You know the rest (the addiction)

E-bikes anonymous
Um...
You said 22,500 miles and then you speak in terms of KM...
Is it miles or kilometers?

P.S. From 2.5 years ago up until the beginning of this year (approx 18 month) I did 20,000k.

His figure is 36,000 km (22,500 mi)

There's a heap of Aussies on the forum. SI units are used exclusively here but since Americans can have trouble visualising metric speeds and distances sometimes we convert. I try to include both with imperial units in brackets.

70,000 on my legs.

Maybe 1,000 on ebikes so far.

Never been hit by a car. Only wrecked twice - but that was in a race with a bunch of idiots crashing into me.

I never see doing all that many miles on ebikes, mainly because they are for transportation for me, and I tend to live close to things now that I have the option. I also work from home. I'm lucky to drive my car once a week, always contemplating getting rid of it. Maybe when I move in with my gf I will.

dogman said:
Nice! If you figure a car costs about seventy cents a mile that's $15,000 in your pocket over the years. Even a motorcycle is likely to cost nearly half that.

quote]

My car costs no where near .70 a mile. Gas is .14, the rest has added up to about another .15, so 30 cents a mile at best, but more like .20 now that I really think about it. Of course I bought a used Honda Civic. This does not include the costs to society that have been subsidized heavily; just fuel, insurance, cost, maintainence, registration, tax.

Hmmm..... no way to know exactly ... but 12 to 15 kms per day to work and back over 6 years, minus winter months, mid november or so to april/may i'm taxi and bussing ... :( .. that adds up to roughly 10,000 kms

Weekends are usually one or more trips per day for leisure, alone or with friends... weeknight rides are about 3 days a week on average.. 20 to 30 kms per trip.. i'm close

I'm up there in the " Has owned more different setups " group tho !! :eek:

I'm at 8700 miles on sla's.
Should be there by the end of the year.

Props to all the high-milers. This is really really awesome. I'm only at 3000 and it feels like I never ride the thing.

Edit: I should mention I have to date around 100k motorcycle miles under my belt. With my latest build I'm hoping to shift most of those to e-motorcycle. Very inspiring guys.

I'm at about 3800 ebike miles. Pedal miles are over 70,000 but racking up a lot slower since I don't race or train heavy anymore.

i should be able to get to 3000kms (1875mi) by the end of the month (1 year of ebiking) so at that rate it should take me 6years to make 10,000mi..
hoping for less downtime on the bike and being less of a pussy and ride in shit weather and i should do better..
i figure if i ride 12,000kms i would of completely paid off this bike..
but im already contemplating upgrading, those hub motors are getting more powerful everyday..

GrayKard said:
Joseph C. said:
Gary Kard with his 50 plus miles a day, five days a week has to be well over 10,000 miles.

I keep losing bike computers so best I can figure from my notes is 7200 miles. That means it will be a few more months before I officially break the 10,000 mile mark.

Gary

GrayKard it is! :mrgreen: At the rate you're going at that won't be long - two months.

Congrats.

D-Man said:
I'm at 8700 miles on sla's. Should be there by the end of the year.
That's pretty impressive. I'd like to learn more, as the spiraling cost of lithium batteries is scaring me, but I see that you don't accept PMs. Is there a post where you detail your build? I searched back a couple of years, but couldn't find much. I accept PMs and emails...thanks!

Apologies for the threadjack! :oops:

Stone Meadow said:
but I see that you don't accept PMs.
If the problem you're having is seeing your PM still in your outbox, and not in the sentbox, it's because he hasn't read it yet, not that it isn't accepted. AFAIK the only way to "not accept" PMs here on ES is to create a rule that automatically deletes them as they come in, but the sender (you) wouldn't know that was happening. ;)

I'm fairly sure I'm there already. Let's see ...
70-mile daily commute to work and back,
2 times a week (at least), sometimes I do 3 or 4,
for about the past 2 and a half years (52 weeks per year)
= (70) x (2) x [(2.5) x (52)]
= 18,200 miles conservatively... hello I'm iN THE CLUB!!! :mrgreen:

Now that's impressive! I was only at about 8000 miles last year when I got sick, and stopped riding to work. Woulda made 10k about now.

Stone Meadow said:
D-Man said:
I'm at 8700 miles on sla's. Should be there by the end of the year.
That's pretty impressive. I'd like to learn more, as the spiraling cost of lithium batteries is scaring me, but I see that you don't accept PMs. Is there a post where you detail your build? I searched back a couple of years, but couldn't find much. I accept PMs and emails...thanks!

Apologies for the threadjack! :oops:

There's not much to know. Front direct drive hub motor, 20amp controller, 11 sla batteries used. (2 packs) Just replace or parallel the weak sla's with smaller ones as you they get weak. Voltmeters on every battery.

I now use led voltmeters. I'm didn't make the circuit but it has 3 color led's. 4 led's total. One for each battery. I disconnected one of them as I'm back on 36 volts. I used only one panel meter on my first pack and went 5400 miles. No led's. Just watch for any unusual voltage drop.

I've been averaging 200 miles per month for 10 months so far, you've given me a good goal to shoot for! Still on my original 36 volt SLA pack. I need get a multimeter soon to read the voltages. I have the 3x12 volt 12AH battery bag on a rear rack, but with the total weight of me (225lb) and the bike (50lb) plus front hub motor (15lb) and front Wald basket carrying 64oz water container and heavy 6ft cable and lock I hardly notice it. I have a fairly smooth, straight, and level commute of 7-10 miles each way which is mainly bike-friendly marked lanes having few motor vehicle pinch points, and newly paved river trail. After 25+ years of pedal commuting, I needed a little help!

Thanks dogman, and that's just weekday commute miles using LiPo batts.
It doesn't include weekend pleasure rides, local errand rides, and 2 years of prior ebiking using NiMH and LiFePOH4 batts.

But most my accrued miles is on smooth paved streets or bike trails.
I think you got most people beat for most OFFROAD miles eh dogman? :wink:

dogman said:
Now that's impressive! I was only at about 8000 miles last year when I got sick, and stopped riding to work. Woulda made 10k about now.
Sacman said:
I'm fairly sure I'm there already. Let's see ...
70-mile daily commute to work and back,
2 times a week (at least), sometimes I do 3 or 4,
for about the past 2 and a half years (52 weeks per year)
= (70) x (2) x [(2.5) x (52)]
= 18,200 miles conservatively... hello I'm iN THE CLUB!!! :mrgreen:

still got a long way to go before I see 10K miles, but am very happy with my modified eZip Trailz (36V 20Ah SLA with both freewheel upgrades). I've used it to commute 20 miles each way for work since mid-February and have just over 1,400 miles on it. Kudos to all those high mileage travelers out there - it's your experience that's enabled me to go green.

Back