14kw continuous 94% efficient motor.......

circuit said:
recumpence said:
Here are the specs;

Can length--- 4.5 inches
Can diameter--- 3.75 inches
Shaft diameter--- 1/2 inch (keyway shafts will be used)
Expected efficiency--- 94% (more on this later)
Continuous power--- 14kw
Burst power--- 25kw
Weight--- Under 7 pounds (expected)
[..]
Oh, I expect the sensorless motor to be $950
[..]

Matt
What's the Kv rating and inductivity of this motor?

Normally you can get your Astro motor in any KV you want, which would mean any resistance and inductance that you needed.

Mine is wound for 50kv, I found the following...

For future reference of Wye mode, the motor tests between 119.0 and 129.4 uH at 200khz frequency measured in natural rest. The windings are .138 ohm per phase measured with a Kelvin lead setup and 1 amp current driver. Maybe some of you smart fellows can calculate fancy things from that.

johnrobholmes said:
Mine is wound for 50kv, I found the following...

For future reference of Wye mode, the motor tests between 119.0 and 129.4 uH at 200khz frequency measured in natural rest. The windings are .138 ohm per phase measured with a Kelvin lead setup and 1 amp current driver. Maybe some of you smart fellows can calculate fancy things from that.
Thanks. So, at Kv=150, the motor would be 15.3 mOhm and 13,9µH. Inductance at 150 Kv is so low, that no ebike/RC controller will work well.
At 60V this would be 9000 rpm. To get 14kW of input power, it will draw 233 Amps and it will make 832W of heat in the motor. How are you going to dissipate that?

My second concern is... Why would one consider lowering Kv? Sure, you will need less reduction, but you will lose power as well. For example, the same motor, wound for 2x lower Kv, will produce 4x less power. Even if you increase battery voltage to get the same RPM, you will get 2x less power from the same motor. This is because series resistance of the motor increase is a square of Kv decrease.

So?

Is this motor for sale or in production?

Can we have an ETA?

Buy one here:
http://www.astroflight.com/4535

Better grab a controller for it while your at it:
http://www.astroflight.com/esc-2413

Actually that controller is not available.

There is a controller I have been testing that looks compatible with the 3230 I made at the beginning of this thread. So, I am back into some dressing work and discussion with Astro about the bigger 3230. It is not the 45 series motor astro lists on their site. This is a 50% longer than stock 3220 (making it a 3230). The price will be far cheaper than the 4535 they make.

It will be another 6 months or so before I am back on the development of it.

Matt

From glancing thru this thread it seems your problems was due to controllers and sensors. But his was 5 years ago.
What are available today? That monster controller from Astro is it discontinued? Still shows up on their website. How do Astro plan to run their 4" long canned motor without the monster controller?

Anyway alienpower got ESC 450A 24s. They even do custom ESC to your likings. Maybe that can work? I guess sensored it setup will not work, as typical EV controllers do not let you harvest 20.000+ rpms. Is there other controllers that might work like Lebowski? I would really like to see this motor getting the wind back in the sail. Motor seems like the perfect candidate for many light weight setups.

Did you ever do any tests with water cooling of this motor?

Astro got bought out and it put a damper on this project. Best I understand, the new owners are rather unwilling to do "custom" work and also increased prices dramatically on Matt.

recumpence said:
That's pretty much the case.

There were many factors at play;

The company buyout of Astro
High production cost
No suitable controller to run it
Etc

Matt
Was it Alta motors?

Back