Commuter UK styleeee...yes its a cyclone

M1k3 said:
ooh er real mods! sounds intriguing ! :?

I still think there is 'more to come' from the cyclone setup and plan on taking it further :wink: but my number 1 priority is reliablity and ease of use..............that said the rc setups are getting the bugs ironed out and I could become a convert.......time will tell :?:

for now its stayed together for the past 3 days and I averaged 25.6 mph to work yesterday (my best yet) so not all bad

Ian :D

my cyclone didnt get out to play today,stainless steel mounting bolts siezed due to nylock nuts,had to cut them off,was only trying to slacken off to fit new chain ,oh well will make new u bolts at work tomorrow,and will only use normal nuts n split washers from now on. :oops: Do you know if any other cyclone user has tried a different (smaller controller) :?:

M1k3 said:
my cyclone didnt get out to play today,stainless steel mounting bolts siezed due to nylock nuts,had to cut them off,was only trying to slacken off to fit new chain ,oh well will make new u bolts at work tomorrow,and will only use normal nuts n split washers from now on. :oops: Do you know if any other cyclone user has tried a different (smaller controller) :?:

M1k3,

good luck with the U bolts...........as for the controller that is one of my next 'mods' ........unfortunately the one I am planning is 'bigger' than the original and not sure if I can create enough space for it to fit on the bike :roll: the other option is to 'mod' the stocker. Next week will be decision time.

not sure on a 'smaller' controller as my motor pulls 55amps regularly and thats quite an ask for a small unit

well it looks like the gearbox is now oil tight :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

but there is a downside :cry:

I have hit the thermal over ride 3 times now (which shuts down the motor).........I think the blue sealant I used to assemble the motor / gearbox is not allowing the heat from the motor to transfer throught to the gearbox (as the motor is much hotter than the box..touch test) and it never was before :roll:

anyway I have idea to solve this :wink:

ending on a positive................

I did an efficiency run today to work and back (just over 20 miles) and this is what came out.........so I guess oil in the gearbox does make a difference!

Attachments

• DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,242
  • DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,242
  • DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 1,242
I have not cured the over heating problem :cry: but

the best efficiency yet.........no drafting cars or tucked in, just sensible riding and steady throttle useage :wink:

Attachments

• DSCF0012.JPG
    DSCF0012.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,223
  • DSCF0014.JPG
    DSCF0014.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,223
  • DSCF0016.JPG
    DSCF0016.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,223
  • DSCF0018.JPG
    DSCF0018.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,223
its been a while........spent yesterday 'servicing' the bike

modded the battery box (as it was becomming loose and rattling on the bumps)

made a new tensioner for the chain (to take up slack now the front chainring is bedded in)

relubed the wiper rings on my front forks (should be done every few hours of riding on Fox forks) although this is my first time :oops:

and last but not least pulled the gearbox down.checked & cleaned everything (looks good) then refilled with gear oil

it now feels like a new bike again and I have just passed the 1700 mile mark :lol:

all good

Hi Ian, Have read your thread from start to finish, got to say, nice work. Im based just below manchester and have built my own scott ransom magic pie bike which is on ES here. Want to build a second bike and have lots of the parts, just bought two of the hua tong 72v controllers and an old ebike for conversion and am going to probo get a cyclone from the eclipse people you recommended, plus you solved another connumdurum which was where to buy andersons in the uk which had me stumped. Anyway im already a fan of your work so far. Would it be possible to do a meet and maybe had a go on each other bikes. Anyway please let me know and keep up the posts.

regards Andy

whereswally606 said:
Hi Ian, Have read your thread from start to finish, got to say, nice work. Im based just below manchester and have built my own scott ransom magic pie bike which is on ES here. Want to build a second bike and have lots of the parts, just bought two of the hua tong 72v controllers and an old ebike for conversion and am going to probo get a cyclone from the eclipse people you recommended, plus you solved another connumdurum which was where to buy andersons in the uk which had me stumped. Anyway im already a fan of your work so far. Would it be possible to do a meet and maybe had a go on each other bikes. Anyway please let me know and keep up the posts.

regards Andy

thanks for the kind words Andy, I have spent a lot of time on ES and it has been invaluable to my build getting to where it is now. Many have helped me out when I needed it and hopefully I can do the same (at least in a small way)
I would say I am a second stream adopter i.e. I neither have the time nor the knowledge to beta test as some do on here. What I have done has proven to both perform well (for me) and be reliable. Its going to be a hard act to follow....but I have a few ideas for build no.2 (unfortunately some of the parts are not available yet) :cry: beta testers huh !
Good luck with your builds (both current and future) and I will keep my posts going (on this build) for as long as I think they can be of assistance to people.

ps the meet sounds good...although I am pretty busy atm pm me and we can sort it

thought it was time for an update :wink:

the bike is now up to 2200 miles travelled and has had the following replaced over the last 3 weeks due to wear and tear;

both drive chains (motor and pedal) both were pretty stretched
front sprocket (now Shimano 48tooth steel) as the last alloy one was really soft and the teeth wore quickly-time will tell if steel is more durable :?:
rear sprocket (13t from a Brompton, as before) no wear noticed
replaced the stock rear axle nuts on the Nexus rear hub with North Shore Billet allen head nuts (way better)
the gearbox was pulled down; the Chinese bearings in the planetary gears were replaced with quality SKF (easy as they are skate board size) these were loctited in turned 180 degrees and deburred. As before gear oil was used and the box was sealed with loctite flange sealant.
this has worked well; however......
there does appear to be vibration comming through the right side pedal at certain motor speeds, with a 'scuffing noise from the gears in the box' :roll:
I will run it for a while and see if it settle down...maybe needs more gear oil :idea:

Back