18 FET Low RDS MOSFET Overclocker Ready LYEN Controller $199

dutchlincoln said:
Are these controllers voltage specific, or do they have a range, for instance 48-72 volts?
Do they all have the same options, besides the higher FET/current rate? maybe a compare list somewhere?
Are the enclosures watertight?
Are they available with a bit longer motor and battery wires?
Thanks!
Does anybody get any ideas? Since i'm I crazy to plan to get a cheap 48/72 volt controller just to get the car running..

keetper said:
dutchlincoln said:
Are these controllers voltage specific, or do they have a range, for instance 48-72 volts?
Do they all have the same options, besides the higher FET/current rate? maybe a compare list somewhere?
Are the enclosures watertight?
Are they available with a bit longer motor and battery wires?
Thanks!
Does anybody get any ideas? Since i'm I crazy to plan to get a cheap 48/72 volt controller just to get the car running..

Read the specs, it is programmable so you set the controller parameters for what you want. Why not look at the programmable controller software threads so you can see the parameters that you can program? Download some software and try it/look at it?
Compare list? These are individually built items so available in small quantities- Who's going to produce a comparison with all other controllers- perhaps you can do it and publish it for the benefit of others? Start with the controllers you are interested in, then add all of the others? You might find it a difficult task..
Mine has had no problems with water getting inside the case. If you're worried then why not use silicon sealant on all joints and cable entry points?
Tell Lyen how long you want the cables, you may have to pay extra- he uses good quality silicon cable. Ask him how much he will charge for your measured length of cables from your chosen controller position to your (front or rear) motor.
You can always extend the cables yourself to suit your own needs- Lyen supplied the cables with connectors fitted to the cable, and a connector to fit to the cable you connect to it.

I'm also interested in one of these controllers if there are any left. I see the quantity available hasn't been updated since 2010. If this controller is no longer available, are their more of the 12 FET version left? Thanks in advance.

Daniel C.

Can anyone tell me the total capacitance in the controller, mine is fitted in a place that means quite a bit of work to get at it. I tried emailing Lyen about 6 days ago but haven't heard back.

Also, is a wheel lock function something that I could enable on this controller? I gather it would be the TB to ground, does anything else need to be connected, does it work with the controller switched to off via the thin red ignition wire? What kind of current does it draw? It's only intended as an extra level of security when at the supermarket- do you have any advice on this function? I'd wire it via a multiway keyswitch so it couldn't be operated in error.

does anyone know where lyen is, I tried email him awhile back but still no response :S

Sigma said:
does anyone know where lyen is, I tried email him awhile back but still no response :S

Hi Sigma,

Can you tell me which email address you sent your inquiry to? Also, what is your email address so I can determine if your email message is received.

PM sent.

Thanks,
Lyen

Hello! I've got this controller. I want to use battery 48V 10A LiFePO4. do I need to change a power resistor network to avoid damage of the voltage regulator? And if you have file (.asv)with standart settings for this battery (48V 10A LiFePO4 ) I will appreciate to get the file.

agentS said:
Hello! I've got this controller. I want to use battery 48V 10A LiFePO4. do I need to change a power resistor network to avoid damage of the voltage regulator? And if you have file (.asv)with standart settings for this battery (48V 10A LiFePO4 ) I will appreciate to get the file.

pm sent

agentS said:

It will work but it's a shame you'll not be unleashing the full power capapabilities of such an awesome controller with that little 10Ah battery pack.

These controllers are useable up to 100v (and you're only using 48v). So no need to mess with the voltage regulator.

pm sent with order :mrgreen:

Lyen said:
Update as of Apri 11th, 2010

Due to popular demand to use the IRFB4110. I have made a few extra model EC-184110 controllers. In fact I have sold most of them before I even have got the chance to advertise. Part of the reason is because the 18 FET was originally a special request item from a member. But word of mouths are making it becomes more popular so I had to make a few extra to keep up the ongoing requests.

Hi Lyen. I sent you a PM. Thanks - Sentinel

Got my 18FET in the mail.... happy day!

Came with all the necessary terminals for installation.

Thanks Edward!

hillzofvalp said:
I'm actually kind of annoyed by the clock speed of these controllers.. Is it truly overclockable?

Absolutely not, the "overclocker" tag is just advertising BS, as there is no way to increase the chip clock speed at all, it's fixed by an internal resonator.

Having said that, generally the Xiechang controller that's at the heart of these is OK for up to at least 60k erpm, so unless you have a high pole-pair count motor and want to spin it very fast it should normally be able to handle it. AFAIK, no one has yet determined the max commutation frequency these controllers will go with any degree of accuracy, but they seemingly aren't capable of running as fast in sensorless mode as they will when the motor has Halls. That's not strictly speaking a controller limitation, it seems to be a limititation in the add-on sensorless zero-crossing detector circuit on the board. As such, it probably also applies to the controllers that use the Wuxi boards, as they have a near-identical sensorless add on circuit.

Back