Re-wind of a turnigy 80/100 (Now-tutorial w/Video)

So is there a diagram in simple english about the finishing stage? I'm a little confused as to how to finish the wye winds, Delta is split into 2 from the start right?

Sorry if it has been answered already, just trying to wrap my head around this as a holiday project, would love to rewind a 63-74.

hehe Oi, "Soul Patch Boi": :p :p ..i see your 80-100s and raise you a CA-120 ... :p YuP i got my
hands on a brand spakin' new CA-120...ThudSTeR has hooked me up
with a shaft magnet wire and that nomax paper to stop shorting

Aside from ThuDSTeR has anyone else here rewound one? I pulled my (never been used)
CA-120 apart last night

Just waiting on a confirmation from da MaN ThuD on the number of turns i need on this beast,
Be interested to here from anyone on EnDLess SPhere thats tackled a re-wind on the CA-120
and how it went?

Shall start a new thread for the re-wind when i get into it i think, i want to
run this on 66v LiPO config using a 12fet heavily modded Infineon
mounted in another custom 4130 ChroMo 'BasMaN' rippoff frame
hehehe...Wish Me LucK boiz :)

KiM

I finally went ahead and stripped my 80-100 for a rewind. The goal was to be able to use a single stage reduction into a nuvinci dev kit. I choose 12t delta for 88kv. This allows me to use a 10:1 reduction into the Nuvinci for a speed range of 16mph-58mph (overdrive). Its not as perfect as Thud's rewinds but this was my first one. A couple more tries and I think I could do much better.
20111229202108478.jpg

20111229202056901.jpg

E-racer said:
I finally went ahead and stripped my 80-100 for a rewind. The goal was to be able to use a single stage reduction into a nuvinci dev kit. I choose 12t delta for 88kv. This allows me to use a 10:1 reduction into the Nuvinci for a speed range of 16mph-58mph (overdrive). Its not as perfect as Thud's rewinds but this was my first one. A couple more tries and I think I could do much better.
Looks great. What size wire are you using? Looks like about 14 AWG. Have you measured the phase resistance yet? I did a 9T wye using 14 AWG and it's performing well - low kV and have not destroyed my controller yet.

Thanks! Yes im using 14 gauge. Resistance values were equal between phases I cant remember the values off the top of my head. Believe it or not I modified a couple tooth brushes for poke/pry tools. I haven't run the motor yet (waiting on Burties optical hall setup) but I hooked it to oscope and all looks good. I still have to do a final test then epoxy a couple places to reduce the risk of the coating chaffing.

Ok guys, I'm just wondering on wiring options here at the moment, so any comments are appreciated.

I have an old 6374-170 motor, taken the windings out, and looking to rewind it for around 65kv if possible. What I want to know is what will be the best way to do this to get the most power from the motor, should I go more turns and finish it in delta or less turns a finish in wye? I will get a controller later, so am really just looking for the best configuration that will leave me with safe options for a controller, either rc or otherwise, while still having as much power as possible. Hoping to put it in a dh bike through the bb. I currently have a dj bike with a bb drive, but wanting to make a dual suspension build sometime soon-ish.

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm not too motor savvy...

I'm with Bandaro, but not going to work on that project for a while. This thread has always interested me so I just want to subscribe right now. I've seen a lot of rewinds with the 80-100 so I figure I could just follow someone's formula if I wanted to do that (meaning, someone says you can get, e.g, "XX turns with YY gauge wire"), but I haven't picked up on anyone doing this with the 6374 series. I'm sure someone has, just I haven't seen their thread or posts yet.

This is the only 6374 motor rewind I've seen posted. It's about the Towerpro 5330 which has a similar stator diameter to the 6374 motor.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14410

Had a productive afternoon polishing the 80mm outrunners.
I wound a motor today to power my FS 29er build...since I will be pounding this motor, I thought I would try to air cool it with a few of my personal stylings. cooling: The motor is wound as LRK & terminated in wye...this leaves 6x more area for cooling air to flow thrugh the motor...& odd as it seems I still have a 25% increase in copper over the stock wind's

P6030055.jpg

Now that the motor will pass some meaningful air through it, we need a little air motivator...so I patterned one up & made a mold so I can make these in #s I have a few motors laying around that will benifit from forced air cooling:

the rough plug:
P6030044.jpg

super glued to a piece of aluminum so I can chuck it in the lathe:
CopyofP6030045.jpg

A few minutes later it looks like this: (I love mahogany)
P6030047.jpg

So it can do this:
P6030049.jpg

A little Lacquer & some vents & its ready to cast the mold:
P6030051.jpg

P6030052.jpg

Now for the gooey silicone liquid tooling
P6030054.jpg

all poured & ready to cure:
P6030057.jpg

after 18 hours I can make the bottom 1/2 of the mold....then in a short 18 hours I can cast blower fans till the cows come home.
yes they will be available for your motors too.

hope you had fun following along.
I'll post the actual kv from the re-wind after a spin up...

all or your 85's are belong to us......
P6030056.jpg

Your casting is very cool! Just casting, period, is pretty cool.

More 80mm tweeks for fun..

Unread postby Thud » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:23 pm
Had a productive afternoon polishing the 80mm outrunners.
I wound a motor today to power my FS 29er build...since i will be pounding this motor, I thought I would try to air cool it with a few of my personal stylings. cooling:
The motor is wound as LRK & terminated in wye....this leaves 6x more area for cooling air to flow thrugh the motor...& odd as it seems I still have a 25% increase in copper over the stock wind's

Todd,

You've become a real artist at winding & modding these motors. Amazing work & one of the very best threads on ES. :D

I'm seriously interested in seeing how this works out Todd, both the fans and the LRK wind. I have two 80-100's here mounted on a common 12mm shaft that I want to run as a single motor, with the drive being taken from the centre down to a jack shaft and then to the rear wheel. It so happens that a pair of 80-100's "just" fit into the space where the air filter used to be on my RD50 project bike, which would leave almost the whole of the former engine/gearbox area free for batteries.

What sort of Kv are you aiming for with this motor?

Good point on the distilled water. Although non-distilled should work, since it's only a layer and not submerged, I think it's going to eventually deposit a lot of minerals over time, if it's hard water.

I was wondering, thud, have you by chance been keeping a list of different winding combinations people have made here? As in, the gauges, winds, delta/wye, kv result? It would probably be a very cool addition to start tallying that information, at least for the new posts. But maybe actually there is no need for such an excercise since things can be semi-calculated anyway.
Edit: Bah! it looks like you do have the kv chart on the first page. I guess I only mean to wonder what gauge wire fits for each winding type, to get a better idea of the purchasing list.

4 please! :mrgreen:

And as for the cooling mister system, I am happy to report that I was able to run endless laps in a race scenerio using misting to cool the motor. 8) Mine is a bit more "high-tech" than those of Cedric and Jozzer, but you can't blame them for trying! :wink:

2012-06-17_09-38-07_390.jpg

2012-06-17_09-38-29_719.jpg

Hey Thud, on second thought, maybe I'll make my own, I just picked up a Yuasa 8" rotary table :mrgreen: :

2012-06-15_22-54-24_11.jpg

Great to see someone using the mister idea. I thought it would work, but never seen anyone use it till now. I even posted pictures of that mister a while back. Seems like such a simple solution, that isn't utilized more in races.

etard said:
4 please! :mrgreen:

And as for the cooling mister system, I am happy to report that I was able to run endless laps in a race scenerio using misting to cool the motor. 8) Mine is a bit more "high-tech" than those of Cedric and Jozzer, but you can't blame them for trying! :wink:

2012-06-17_09-38-07_390.jpg

2012-06-17_09-38-29_719.jpg

Hey Thud, on second thought, maybe I'll make my own, I just picked up a Yuasa 8" rotary table :mrgreen: :

2012-06-15_22-54-24_11.jpg

Etard....jonesing on the new rotary table....makes my lil 4" look lame.

Anyway, been working on too many things at once to get anything done :D

ere are some progress photo's of the plastic production partz
P6200044.jpg

P6200046.jpg

& another attemp at external halls for the big boys.
P6200047.jpg

Thud, you never cease to amaze me!! I hope you will write up a plastic casting procedure for the wiki some day. I sure liked how you went from plywood pattern to a perfect "injection" molded part, but I don't have a clue how to do it myself.

Great job!

Hi Thud,
Just wondering how that motor wind for the 29er went for you. Was that that a DLRK wind? What was performance like as I am about to do the same or similar with my HXT? Sorry for so many questions but you are the only one I have seen rewind like this.

EDIT: Thanks to this thread was able to rewind the turnigy into 10T DLRK star termination working really well sensorless :D now just have to add some hall sensors.
Great job Thud!

hello Reactor,
glad my fumblings have helped someone out.
As for the 29'r it is a project I am hoping to get back to soon.....been sitting all summer while I do other non-e-bike stuff (real life gets in the way often) I'll refresh that thread soon, I hope.

Thud,

Have you tried a distributed LRK yet?

What is that black stuff on your wires in the motor rewind pics?

Back