Let's add our country to our profile!

bigmoose

1 MW
Folks, we are clearly an international board, more so than any I have been on. I think it would help if we, at least, put our country in our profile for a couple of reasons:

• When we try to buy and sell shipping is a problem between certain country pairs. This would obviously help.
  • Humor! What is humor in part of the world is an insult in another part. Knowing where you are will help us all understand each other better. I'm still struggling with buddy, pal, mate, friend ... :oops:
  • I don't think the country will give away too much if you wanted to stay anonymous for posting.

What do you guys think?

I agree 100% - I will pass sometimes even considering to buy something just because I don't know
where it's for sale and assume it's over the pond from me.

Done

I'm guessing "over the moon" isn't a great answer, so I've put my real one in...

YuP +1 BiGMoFOMooseMaN ;)

KiM

Is a very good idea I did it one better, state and city, a year or two back. Hope many more get involved and come out of hiding.

We could throw in some local humorous slang as we go to keep things interesting... but lets not get the thread thrown in the Bikers Bar...

What the hey is "Bob's your uncle!" mean? ... "piece of piss" to make?

I already had my city, state, and country in there, but I've made it a little more specific for those far travellers out there. ;)

Like the idea, hope everyone plays along.

This is a great idea. Even if people are concerned about anonyminity, it is a huge help to at least know what country people are in. I have lost count of how many times I have had to ask where people are located to be able to answer their request for advice on suppliers etc.. What might be a good supplier to recommend to a person in the US might not for a person in Australia etc..

Not to mention the humour/cultural differences thing. For example, if someone starts massively taking the piss out of me, then knowing they are an Aussie will help me not take offence, as they probably like me. And if someone is a little slow on the uptake, then knowing they are a Kiwi will help be less judgemental and more understanding :wink:

In answer to your questions BigMoose. "Bob's your uncle" means, "There you go, all done!", as in "you just connect up the wires and Bob's your uncle!". A "piece of piss" means "very easy", as in "All you have to do is connect up the wires and Bob's your uncle! It's a piece of piss to do".

I live in New Mexico, so we've known for 150 years we better say, New Mexico - USA. Back in high school, working in a touristy restaraunt we used to get two main questions, " can you drink the water? and do you take dollars? " :lol:

To this day you get people who won't ship to you "internationally" till you explain that New Mexico is a state of the USA.

It defintitely helps to at least know what continent people are on, and it can be hard to remember everybodies home country. Next thing you know, you may be telling a European to look up Hyena.

Philistine said:
In answer to your questions BigMoose. "Bob's your uncle" means, "There you go, all done!", as in "you just connect up the wires and Bob's your uncle!". A "piece of piss" means "very easy", as in "All you have to do is connect up the wires and Bob's your uncle! It's a piece of piss to do".

:lol: I am rolling on the floor with the best laugh of the day! Tell me, without this thread, what were my odds of ever finding that out? I had absolutely no clue on "Bob's your uncle" it might as well have been written in Martian Script... and "piece of piss" I would have guessed the exact opposite! What a hoot!! Thanks for the education! :mrgreen:

PS: All you other guys, take 20 seconds and think of adding the info to your profile. If you don't know how to do it, amberwolf will do a tutorial for you.

Since I was volunteered, :wink: and was already considering doing it anyway, here's how to change your location so it shows up in your profile:

Click here:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/ucp.php?i=164
then look over in the Edit Profile area where it has several text-entry boxes. The seventh one down should be Location:.

Click in the text entry box to the right of "Location:", and type in what you want there (starting with country and going down as specific/local as you are willing to go is best).

At the bottom of that section is a button for Submit; click that, and you are done. :)

Hillhater said:
ohzee said:
I agree 100% - .
?? ..but where are you ? :roll: :lol:
and just incase some folk dont know where Sydney is... i will add Australia :D to mine !

I agree USA would be nice on mine , but I mostly am talking about people who list NOTHING. I don't mind
doing a bit of research to find out where a city / state or whatever is listed.. When people have nothing
though it makes the research that much harder.

Could be worse, like just listing Springfield as the city in the USA. Could be in any state. For recomending vendors, just knowing what continent is generally good enough.

What really bugs me is a guy selling something that doesn't list what continent he'd be shipping from.

Re mo power. Yeah, lot of yanks in the too much power club. We just want all the money, all the oil, all the fast cars, all the drugs, and all the pussy. Oh, and I forgot, we also want the 10,000 square foot house.

Ha, sorry about that Moose.

Years ago I used to work on a cruise ship out of Hong Kong with a bunch of chinese guys, they were always telling me that they'd understand me a lot easier
if I didn't speak so much aussie slang. But I was hardly using any at all, (I think :? ).
So just for a bit of fun I steadily increased my use of auslang in conversation to the point where I'd be talking and they would just cock their heads to one side
with this wild-eyed look on their face.

I guess I just got used to doing it and it sort of stuck with me.
I don't have to use those phrases but it's kinda fun, and generally unique to the country that one is from.

Bob's yer uncle = TicketyBoo = She'll be apples mate.
Piece of piss = TooEasy = No worries.

Ypedal said:
common in canuckistan that " Bob's your uncle " .. i knew it well...
Dead Set? I didn't know that.

For anyone else that is confused by aussie strine, here is a good reference page... http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

Thats all for now, onward to my next adventure or oo-roo, as some might say.

bigmoose said:
Philistine said:

:lol: I am rolling on the floor with the best laugh of the day! Tell me, without this thread, what were my odds of ever finding that out? I had absolutely no clue on "Bob's your uncle" it might as well have been written in Martian Script... and "piece of piss" I would have guessed the exact opposite! What a hoot!! Thanks for the education! :mrgreen:

PS: All you other guys, take 20 seconds and think of adding the info to your profile. If you don't know how to do it, amberwolf will do a tutorial for you.

bigmoose,
Just be thankful the hoon's are typing and not speaking, or none of us would understand 10%. I once asked a fellow passenger (who was a kiwi) what the PA announcer was saying? He replied "I have no idea, that bastard's an Aussie, they can't even understand each other." :lol: :mrgreen:

Back