Bought a new phone

My stepfather bought a IPAD 2 a while back and wanted me to help him put things on it.. movies music maybe some books.

Well while there are some ways around it for the average user unless you use itunes for everything it's not easy to put
media on a IPAD.. keep in mind I said average I could easily setup a http server that would let me upload things to it..But
for people not real savy unless you use the stuff that's forced down your throat it's a bit complicated..

That is why I think the apple products will eventually fail and the android will grab majority of the marketshare..

ohzee said:
.... while there are some ways around it for the average user unless you use itunes for everything it's not easy to put media on a IPAD.. keep in mind I said average I could easily setup a http server that would let me upload things to it..But
for people not real savy unless you use the stuff that's forced down your throat it's a bit complicated..

That is why I think the apple products will eventually fail and the android will grab majority of the marketshare..

Thats odd !!?
I am not an "ifan",.. almost the opposite infact, but most of my family use iPhones and the main reason the use to support their choice is how EASY it is to load/download music, video, photos, docs etc etc using itunes. ?
I am of the.. "keep it simple, keep it small" .. mind set , and think all these new smart phones are too big for carrying around ( shorts & T shirts !), so i spent a lot of tine sourcing a small Android ( 3" screen & thin ) that fits my needs.
SIDE NOTE :
on a recent o'seas visit to N Y , i could not find anyone to sell me a local pre-paid USA SIM card for my phone. however i could buy a Pre paid little Nokia AT&T phone with a Sim card for $18 !. Now it has been a few years since i used a Nokia ( went through the Blackberry phase !) , but my god was it a breeze to use again ! :shock: ...
.. none of the fancy smart phone stuff, but phone , text, Email, GPS, photos, etc ..all simple easy to use in a tiny slim phone with a battery that lasted for a week !
Actually i was a little pissed that i couldnt get it unlocked to use an my home network back in Aus ! :D

Yea I didn't add my parents live in the hills and there is no fast internet (dialup only).. maybe I am just biased as well , but I hate devices that is restricted by design.

ohzee said:
... maybe I am just biased as well , but I hate devices that is restricted by design.

I have a passion for hating anything that I purchase that tries to tell me what I can do with it and use it for. The idea that some company gets to decide what software and what media files etc that I want to put on my device is against everything I believe in, and it is a business model that will die.

Every Android device is 100% hackable, you can do and run anything the physical hardware is capable of processing. Full freedom in your device. It's also nice that every app is free (if you've even got basic computer skills at least).

ohzee said:
Well while there are some ways around it for the average user unless you use itunes for everything it's not easy to put
media on a IPAD. That is why I think the apple products will eventually fail and the android will grab majority of the marketshare.

Well, if everyone was exactly like you, that would certainly be the case. However, everyone is not exactly like you, so there is no "right" or "best" smartphone OS. That means there is plenty of room for both flavors of smartphone, and whatever new flavors pop up in the future.

I can appreciate and enjoy just about any new gadget or feature, which is why I am happy for Luke. I don't really get the "Consumer-Class Competition" angst in phone choice, although there are plenty of folks on both sides feeling the hate. While it doesn't brighten my day to see someone proclaiming that my choices are shit, I guess I don't feel the need to validate my existance by proving that my stuff is better than someone elses stuff. Life is a journey, not a competition. :D

-JD

Samsung Note is nice device, I bought a Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket for my girlfriend (xmas gift) and I still using my TBolt (Thunderbolt) rooted running MIUI ICS ROM. I really wanted Note and Verizon doesn't offer. :(

I have 2 Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1 tablets, Both are rooted and running Task650 ROM.

I'm running a Nexus One and have no plans to change any time soon. Since most of the developers use this phone it gets lots of love with software releases such as Cyanogenmod.

As for Crapple products, I absolutely hate the company. I use to have to support some of the iphone/Ipad users here at my job and holy shit does crapple make it a pain in the ass to do what should be easy. Having to use itunes to transfer files, video files have to be exactly the perfect size and codec, what a pain in the ass.

They could fix this really easy but just allowing you to plug it into your computer, have it show up as a drive like every other device in the world and read/write to it. Problem solved. Oh, linking devices to certain computers... more ridiculous bullshit. I weaseled out of having to support these products thankfully. IT admin nightmare to deal with.

If I want to add a picture to a device I want to plug it into USB and drag/drop what I want into a folder, not some retarded dumbed down interface that complicates my life and only works with certain linked devices.

Only think I like about crapple is they have great MS Exchange server active sync support.

A phone 6" long x 3.5" is huge, a bit like sticking a ipad to your ear reminds me a bit of my first phone some 15 years ago, needing one being a sub contract carpenter, a uniden that was like a 3 x 2 x 8 timber and the weight of a brick that size with a massive 7 hour standby time that i later added an external power source, wow how times have changed and we still winge that these devices cant do more, got to admit that my lg optimus p970 black is much more than a phone but doesn't wake me up in the mornig like all my previous ones could without leaving it on all night

Got a good new ol' desire for a very good price on ebay :)
rooted it 2 hours after opened the box and "S-offed" it in a raw ^^
I now use the runnymede ROM 3.0.4 from sebastien15 (gingerbread + sense 3.5) from the Sensation XL with snq kernel. Everything works like a charm, smooth and fast like a stock 2.1 UI AND with X2SDX script I got 1.6Gb place for my apps (If I ever need it ;) )
The sound is actually reaaaally good (I use it mostly as a mp3 player and I'm quite "audiophile") *if used with the "dspmanager.apk" and real good Headphones (Xears XE200PRO ebony for me)
Android rocks and the Xda-developers forum is the right place to learn. Something like here. Full of motivated people who NEVER will do what's written on the box ;) or at least not without knowing what does that mean ^^
Happy to see here people sharing the same "way to think" :mrgreen:
Gruß,
H.
PS: would be great in the future to get an app for the forum. I know that a lot of people don't really like the though but an app like the XDA would be awesome :) I'm also waiting someone to design any CA compatible app ;)

Due to some development work I'm doing on the side with a friend, I decided to move to android last month..... found a Captivate S on craigslist for cheap and bought it. rooted it and installed CM7.... used it a while and bluetooth was wonky and it ate battery like nothing else. Then apps started to crash.... restored but it just wasn't cutting it, so I went to MIUI.us..... and I love it. Battery lasts a long time, bluetooth works.

Kinda looking for a new android phone now.... looking a little at the LG Thrill (3D display and camera). Not sure if I want to jump ship in Jan when my contract runs out, or if I want to switch. Right now I have "unlimited" data, so I don't know if I want to give that up, althought I don't use more than a 2Gig right now.

As far as the forum app, tapatalk supports phpbb, the admin's need to install the module.
http://www.tapatalk.com/

Wooooot!!! My new phone arrived. :)

I was worried it would be cumbersomely large. It's actually just perfect! I'm super super super happy with it! Woot!!! Fits effortlessly into my pockets, feels perfect in my hands (I do have giant hands), and it's SOOOOO nice to type on, I can just fly on this keyboard, and it doesn't feel like my fingers are making a stretch at all, it's more like they are getting to type without feeling cramped up.

I'm very very very very happy with it! $750 well spent. All ready makes my Evo 4g feel like a crude primitive device.

In 20mins or so it should be rooted and hacked, and I will start trying out various custom ROM's to see what I like best on this beast.

IMG_20111216_140440.jpg

IMG_20111216_140841.jpg

Those pictures on my screen make it look like the text is unreadable garbled mess, but the screen is 1280x800 resolution (higher resolution than most laptop screens and many computer monitors), and it's perfectly clean and clear and readable in person. The photo just can't replicate the screen without being huge, and from a better camera than my Evo's.

ohzee said:
Where are the pics of you and fabio?

Odd thing to ask... but here you go.

fabioluke.jpg

You will enjoy with super AMOLED HD, and they are super crystal clear FTW. I am waiting for girlfriend return home and will take a picture to compare yours. 8)

"In 20mins or so it should be rooted and hacked, and I will start trying out various custom ROM's to see what I like best on this beast. " loool way to go mate!! :)
flash flash flash flash :mrgreen:

dodjob said:
H.
PS: would be great in the future to get an app for the forum. I know that a lot of people don't really like the though but an app like the XDA would be awesome :) I'm also waiting someone to design any CA compatible app ;)

There already is, has been for months. The bloke that bought the forum from and wanted to commercialize it, had an app made, i tried it but prefer accessing it via web browser.

KiM

Hah sorry Luke - Was out at dinner and the wife brought up Fabio and I remembered that pic and responded in kind.

thanks for sharing.

Did you make a ulta lipo battery hack yet?

Luke I have resolution envy on your new screen. :mrgreen:

-JD

PS - Am I the only one getting an Al-Bundy-with-long-hair vibe from Fabio in this shot?

fabioluke.jpg

Oatnet- my laptop has resolution envy too. :) And contrast envy. It seems insane a tiny mobile disply can have such inky dark blacks, and have such a vivid color pallet. looks perfect from way off angle still, and even stayed totally usable in direct sunlight with glare today earlier.

Im all hacked and on my 2nd ROM and 3rd kernal today. Over clocked dynamically, saves power when idle, goes to dual 1.6ghz cores when working. Which is something it spends roughly zero time doing now, because the new OS is totally de-bloated and streamlined.

Im am really really happy with it. My 4.3in screen evo feels like a clumsy childs toy to try to type and browse with now, and just yesterday i was loving it. Lol

Back