Ebike Project 72V HS3540 UK "build thread" +Videos!

RichiePA said:
How much was your charger if you dont mind me asking?
My charger cost only $120 include shipping to uk!
The good thing about bms charger is that:
1, You can pick what ever voltage you want to 0.5v so they are very precise.
2, You can ask them to make any charging connectors as you like. (I asked mine to be black double pole 50A anderson plug)
3, Yes it takes almost a month to get it to your door step but they have good service (mine did come broken but they are sending me new one without I'm having have to send the broken one back)

So that's all about them. I don't know if you can find any cheaper or better deal!

Alright cool, that does sound like a good option. Hopefully the next unit they send will be working propperly. What are you going to do with the old unit? If you have no use for it I have a friend who is an electronic engineer and might be pursuaded to help me fix it (if thats even possible). If I can get it working I'd give you a bit of money for it and I'd be happy to give you the money for the postage in the first instance (seems like its worth a punt) Up to you though.

RichiePA said:
Alright cool, that does sound like a good option. Hopefully the next unit they send will be working propperly. What are you going to do with the old unit? If you have no use for it I have a friend who is an electronic engineer and might be pursuaded to help me fix it (if thats even possible). If I can get it working I'd give you a bit of money for it and I'd be happy to give you the money for the postage in the first instance (seems like its worth a punt) Up to you though.

well, i'll give it a go fixing when i get the working one. (i do electronics as well but id rather get working one and compare...)
once its working i think i want to keep it in two locations (i live in surrey but need one in London too), sorry, but if i cant fix it i'll let you know :wink:

NOWAY! BMSbattery charger arrived already :shock: !!! I ordered new one only 2 weeks ago!
they usually take a week making the charger and testing, then shipping which takes a month!!
And YES! its working! :D
I'll charge up some lipos and get that beast working!
more pictures to come over the weekend!

rui_fujino said:
While I'm in japan, I decided to build 3rd Ebike! :mrgreen: but then i'm haven't even finished making my 2nd ebike so i'll take my time on this one.
My plan is to Finish my 72v ebike in UK and when I'm here in japan I'll work on my ebike3.
The base bike its self is AWSOME! :twisted: I love the look and its full suspension as well! lots of space for the battery in the middle too!
I will just use this bike as bicycle this summer but I'll start converting maybe in the xmas!
here is my bike!

file.php

What's the brand and model of the black FS bike?

Fun build, thanks for sharing!

TonyReynolds said:
What's the brand and model of the black FS bike?

Fun build, thanks for sharing!
its called "Doppelganger D2 VISCERAL" i cant find any without japanese or chinese links...but im sure they are around :wink:

okay, i got avid BB7 disc brake today...and guess what!it doesn't fit the disc cos of hub being too fat... :cry: but im thinking of putting spacer in-between and hopefully i can get enough space...or if not i can but washer on the disc nuts nd increase the clearance by few 2-4mm.
i'll upload some pictures tmr!

Hey, hows the bike going? I'm thinking of ordering myself a BMSbattery charger soon I guess I'll go for the same spec as yours, or get 4 smaller ones so I can charge the 5S packs individually. how is yours working out for you so far?

RichiePA said:
Hey, hows the bike going? I'm thinking of ordering myself a BMSbattery charger soon I guess I'll go for the same spec as yours, or get 4 smaller ones so I can charge the 5S packs individually. how is yours working out for you so far?

The new charger worked well! and it does charge super fast! less then 2hr full charge!
my ebike isnt going anywhere since I have killed my motor (not melted but by shorting phase) so I need new motor...also looking for good motor that are cheap yet can do good speed!
mean while I need to send lyen Controller back to get it fixed up... :cry:

hopefully by new years I'll have sorted these out!

Hey Rui,
Nice build you have coming along. Shame that most the parts you've managed to buy have failed I'm sure its a bit of bad luck rather than the quality of most the parts from the suppliers.

It will be great once its up and running I'm sure. With a decent platform.

I personally charge 6 lipo's with a GT power A6-10 charger (200w max) and use an Xbox360 203w power supply which I converted. (Very simple to do).
I've been thinknig of running my BPM @ 72v but would need a controller upgrade as well as a cycle analyst to use as a fuel guage.

Have you gone down the CA route?
Glad your getting on well with the BMSbattery charger and that the second one works well.

Can you let me know how much the controller was with shipping still toying with the idea... Although I don't think the BPM would handle that high a current.

yea got old smaller screen CA at moment tho havent used it yet.
controller from lyen was 159USD including
Cycle Analyst connector, external USB-TTL connector for USB-TTL programming adapter, regenerative braking enable/disable.
shipping was included as well but only 20USD to UK!
I think Lyen is best out there fore controller as well as after service too!

okay, its been some time without doing much with my bike...BUT I've decided to get my self a Xmas gift to my self. so here they are!
im getting 9C 2806 or 2807 as a Upgrade motor from conhis 1000w motor.
also I can put the old set into my Japanese FS bike so when I'm in japan over the summer hols I can make my 3rd Ebike!!
Does anyone got suggestion for the Upgrade motor? or should I stick to 9c?

Awsome build buddy :D Following with great interest, The only thing you havn't mentioned is where you got the battery's? I know it's E-bay, but i can't find em :roll:

mxer said:
Awsome build buddy :D Following with great interest, The only thing you havn't mentioned is where you got the battery's? I know it's E-bay, but i can't find em :roll:
It took so long to finish off the project and Im rather disappointed but hey, at least im doing alot plus im putting up pictures :wink:
i got my batteries from Hobbyking and they were cheap!
Also recently I've decided to get X5302 for future investment so that soon or later I can build a super ebike with 50~60mph level :twisted: but then that'll be after summer 2012...I'll be working on ebike Japan over next summer (i'll be simple 52v hot, 25amp, 1000w motor)

Arh, Hobby King, I keeped see'ing HK, thinking it was Hong kong :lol: :lol: Are they ok to send to the UK then ? or do you need to ask first ? was there any duty involved? was thinking of getting mine from Hobby partz but have yet to recieve an email to comfirm they will send em to the UK, buy hey thats my issue..... look forward to your next build :mrgreen: Thanks buddy and good luck with the future build :D .....

mxer said:
Arh, Hobby King, I keeped see'ing HK, thinking it was Hong kong :lol: :lol: Are they ok to send to the UK then ? or do you need to ask first ? was there any duty involved? was thinking of getting mine from Hobby partz but have yet to recieve an email to comfirm they will send em to the UK, buy hey thats my issue..... look forward to your next build :mrgreen: Thanks buddy and good luck with the future build :D .....

yea i got them in UK fine and fast but UK charges tax of like 30quid since its overall expensive,,, :(

£30 :shock: Yup, That sounds like the UK :roll: Thanks for the heads up, i'll have to factor that into it with my order to see if i will benefit, Thanks mate :wink:

Hobby King has a warehouse in Germany as well, so there's no additional tax to pay on the price they show for the batteries from that warehouse. I got mine from there and they were very prompt, well packaged and no dead cells. I figured returns would be easier as well if need be. The price per unit is higher than that shown for their main warehouse but you need to take into account that there's no extra taxes, lower shipping, etc.

Sorry to have hijacked your thread! :)

I'm here in Japan over the Christmas so I thought I'll make some orders for Ebike project No3!
Today I got my 48V1000W motor(conhis),spokes and disk brake sets for 100USD!(That's including shipping fee!!:D) ! But then my bike is FS with disk so I won't be needing that :)
Some pics :)
IMG-20111223-00408.jpg

Nice kit!!!.....Wow that is cheap :shock: Any spare room in your luggage back to the UK :lol: ....

Have a good one ...... :wink:

Here is some update!
I've made finally made my mind up and Got my self HS3540 from MethTek! Yes I do have few other working motors but thats for other projects! :wink:
Here are some other things I'm planning to buy:
Nord-lock x4
hose clamps
6" 3leg Puller
Custom Torque plates

Nord lock is sth not many ppl may not know so here is youtube vid of it!
[youtube]mgwmuZuJ02I[/youtube]

Edit: also getting torque arms from Docbass!

looks exactly the same as mine when it arrived cheep nasty rim laced up with really thick wonky spokes some of mine were laced up the wrong way and i had to swap them over. So far I've had no other problems with mine and I've checked the wheel a few times spokes always seem nice and tight so while it might not look pretty it does the job.

I've been working on brake light for a while and I have finally put together all the ideas!
Here is quick pic of what I've done!
Doodle3.png
Basically I've used micro switch to turn on and off the lights which I have used glue and heat shrink to water proofed :)
The micro switch will be placed on mechanical Disc brake so when I pull the brake line, switch will get pushed. (I'll upload more photos once installed)
Here is quick pic of lights on.IMG-20120115-00461.jpg

here are update of my bike plus custom brake light!
IMG-20120115-00477.jpg
IMG-20120115-00479.jpg
And here is a picture to explain how I have attached the micro switch.
I got my self funny looking washer as well as very small nuts and bolts. I have managed to combine those to let the brake cable secured into place!
now all I have to figure out was, How to make the switch comes on and off...well for that i got myself v-brake rubber spring and made few adjustment in length to get the perfect tension therefore even slightest brake pull will result in brake light!
IMG-20120115-00468.jpg

Back