Second Build Trek Fuel EX 5.5

sflorlando

100 W
Hello All,

Love the Forum. For xmas I bought myself a 2008 Trek Fuel ex 5.5

This time Im trying to do it right by getting a better quality bike with a proper size triangle.

Attachments

• fuelex55_black.jpg
    fuelex55_black.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 3,380
Here are the specs.

Frameset... 17.5
Frame...Alpha Red Aluminum w/R1 Trail Tuned Suspension, Hi/Lo chainstays, oversized sealed bearings, 120mm rear wheel travel

Front Suspension...RockShox Tora 289 U-Turn w/travel, rebound, 85-130mm
Rear Shock...Fox Float R w/rebound, custom tuned
Wheels...Shimano M475 disc hubs; Bontrager Ranger rims
Tires...Bontrager Jones XR, 26x2.2/2.25"; 27 tpi
Shifters..SRAM X-5, 9 speed
Front Derailleur...Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur...SRAM X-7
Crank...Shimano M442 Octalink 44/32/22
Cassette...SRAM PG950 11-34, 9 speed
Pedals...Alloy platform w/clips and straps
Handlebars...Bontrager Crowbar Sport, 25mm rise
Stem...Bontrager Sport, 10 degree
Headset...Aheadset w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed
Brakeset...Avid BB-5, mechanical disc w/alloy levers; 185mm rotors (160 mm rear rotor on 15.5, 17.5, 18.5" sizes)

I took a quick ride around the block and noticed how much lighter, smoother it was. The walmart bike I had was a beast, suspension sucked and took up the entire frame. Enough pedaling, time to dismantle it.

I took off the wheel and removed the rusty chain (will need to replace). Here is the picture of the dropouts.

IMG_20111230_171523.jpg

I will be removing my hs3540 motor and placing it on this bike. Batteries will consist of 66v 20 ah lipo pack in a Falcon EV frame. Any thoughts on which Torque arms I should use. I have used some of Doctor Bass's torque arms and although they seem extremely durable, it sort of messed with the rear derailer. Of course I may have implemented incorrectly but was looking for alternatives. Any thoughts?

Sounds like the makings of a great build. I think that bike should serve you well.

Thanks guys. So far the build has turned out nice.

My last build I threw it together as fast as I could and of course when I was done it looked like a erector set. Ive been splicing wires to trim up some of the extra clutter and taking my time on this one. Will post pics soon.

I think im going to try a set of e-bikekit torque arms. I cant figure out how I can use the Pair of Doc's that I have.

Ken

You said Doc's interferes with the derailer? I'm guessing you are putting them on both sides of the drop outs? I would only run one before I trusted the one you linked. Torque arms follow the ol adage K.I.S.S., Keep it simple stupid. In other words, the more points of failure you add the higher the chances of a failure. At your power levels, one torque arm on only one side should be enough. As long as you are under 72 volts, I wouldn't sweat it.

Now to Doc's torque arm. Can you not grind down the part that gets in the way? Or is it not that simple?

The dropouts on the new frame arent flat like the old set I had. There are dips and curves which does not allow Docs to sit flat. I dont believe I can get enough surface area to mount the TA. I thought about bending the arms out and mount it on the inisde of the drop outs instead of the outside. Is this the way to do it, or perhaps order a new torque arm.

Ken

Heres a few pictures of my drop outs.

DSC04022.jpg

DSC04023.jpg

DSC04024.jpg

Looks really nice. How's that seat treating you?

Nice cushy seat!

I just got finished installing a pair of Schwabe Big Apple Tires, and ordered some more lipo.

Pictures coming.

Thanks Man,

Do you think that pushing 24s is too much for both the ebike.ca 72volt controller and the hs3540?

Am I nuts or is this new harness I made insane?

IMG_20120117_205728.jpg

:shock:

Umm...

Go for it! Not sure how toasty the motor will get tho :wink:

You should be fine, just watch it on long hills. Thankfully there are very few hills in Central Florida, but the ones I do remember, I seem to remember them being pretty long. So on those, I would monitor how hot your motor is getting. At your power levels a BBQ temp sensor installed on your hub, might be a good idea.

sflorlando said:
Thanks!

I'll have to find some posts on the bbq sensor mod.

Just done it on my hub. Take bbq temp prong apart- it's usually glued together. Remove the metal prong, the thermocouple usually just slides up insde this. Cut or unsolder the fine enamelled wires for the thermocouple from the pcb. Run a two core wire to the hub inners. Epoxy the thermcouple in place so that it contacts the windings/stator near the phase wires. Carefully solder new wires to thermcouple, use heatshrink to cover the joins. Run two core cable to handlebars, solder onto the bbq temp sensor pcb, re-assemble and use.

Simple really.

It's in my mac repair thread in my sig.

Back