2WD Semi-Recumbent Recycled-Parts Cargo eBike: "CrazyBike2"

I've always been harmfully selectively perceptive about random important things, that's for sure. :(

Yeah...seems a common problme :(

I just went on about an 8-9 mile ride with Evoforce and Mdd0127,
DSC05607.JPG
most of it on the canal path with no stops for most of that, and was able to get <22Wh/mile, even though I stayed at >23MPH most of the time, and did a few attempts at the highest speed I could get, which turned out to be 30.6MPH.

So even though I typically get 26-30Wh/mile or so, in stop/start traffic conditions, I dropped that significantly just by cruising at a reasonably steady speed as much as possible. If i had not stopped the few times I did along the canal, and hadn't tried for the speed runs, keeping it under say, 20MPH all the time, I could have probably gotten notably lower power consumption. Maybe down into the mid-high teens.

Interesting data; wish I could've gone for a longer ride but we stopped to chat with a young man who as it turns out has some ideas for an air-powered bike and an idea for the air-motor; we pointed him here to ES to look at what's already been done and other basic info to help him along his path. Dunno if he'll come by, but I think he'll have fun looking around if he does.

I have some video of the ride, but not enough camera memory to capture all 40-something minutes of it, and the camera stopped partway thru our meeting with him. It is not yet finished uplaoding to YT, but if it ever finishes I will link it here.
DSC05608.JPG

We also had some solar-oven-cooked chili by Mdd0127;
DSC05609.JPG
it was really good; all in all maybe 12 hours or more I guess we were together total, talking about all sorts of things. Was a lot of fun; wish I could get together like this more often with more folks here.

Mdd0127 also brought some presents, but I didn't get pics yet as I am still uploading the vids to YT, and i am also about to fall asleep.

The dogs already are all asleep around me, and basically went to sleep as soon as I got on the bed and they all curled up around me; they're tuckered out from a long day of company and excitement, I guess. Must be very tired, cuz I'm eating dinner and none of them are even awake, much less begging. I actually ahve the bowl resting against Hachi right now, as she's curled up in front of me as I type this, keyboard across her legs and some pillows. She doesnt' seem to care and is just glad to be here I think.

I had an awesome time hanging out with you guys!!! I'm reheating some chili for breakfast! Mmmmmmm

Yes we should! Even without presents it would be great fun. :lol:

YT timed out on the uploads while I was sleeping, so I have to restart them. :( (oddly enough, I slept thru the whole night fine without waking that I know of, which is very unusual for me...then again, I think the dogs did, too, which is unheard of for them--when I woke, they were all still in the same spots as when I dozed off typing something up not too long after posting the above.)

It was a fun ride, though short. Since my pack is roughly 20Ah, maybe 15Ah with the limit I restrict myself to (I don't think I've pushed it past 11Ah so far), I probably could've done two or three times the distance we did, maybe more if I'd slowed down, at the lower-than-usual Wh/mile rate I was getting. :lol:

I cant' remember exactly, but I think Mdd0127 was around the 1/4-pack-usage point of is 12s3p (44v15Ah) LiPo, though he was having a lot more fun on his bike than I was trying to on mine. ;) I also don't know if he started out fully charged or not. His motor is the custom RC motor with modified Recumpence reduction and custom rear-wheel drive, and seems to be pretty efficient for the power you could get out of it. I think he'd mentioned that at "normal" speeds he could probably get 80 miles of range, or pushing lots of power and speed with big hills and whatnot maybe 15 miles? Can't recall for sure.

I dont' know how much capacity Evoforce has in his main Headway pack, but it is quite large, with a row of vertical cells from about the seattube to well past the headtube on either side. IIRC it's a 72V pack, but I don't remmeber if they are 8 or 10Ah cells. He also mentioned a problem with the pack, a bad cell or more, damaged by defective Signalab BMS units. :( Because of that, he was also carrying his so-far-reliable CammyCC pack, which is essentially identical to mine (from Bluestreak) except that mine has had at least three cell failures so far, I think. I don't think he had to switch over to it at any point, but I imagine it's good to have a backup pack when your high-performance one has a problem.

Mdd0127 also gave Evoforce a 44s2p pack, which used to be used on the test mule bike so it's broken in already, and cabled up/configured already. So now he has something else to test out for a smaller and lighter solution, once he works out a setup on a bike for it. (Evoforce is really good at nice-looking practical solutions for pack boxes/etc.--I wish I had gotten some pics/video of his big pack at night; it is internally it up with color LEDs, so it can be set to a specific color or set to mutate color over time)

It was also fun meeting md0127's two older dogs, whose names I am having a terrible time almost-remembering (like so many things these days :(). I forgot to get pics of them. :(

Anyway, speaking of presents, the camera battery is recharged and card emptied, so:
DSC05613.JPG
left: Some halls, an ebike tester, a Burtie TA2v1 with cables/etc (to use on that powerchair motor project:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=32838
since the halls on that are just a basic 120-degree physical install by me on the motor, and I don't really know if they're where they should be or not. The TA2 will help me find the best place to put them, hopefully.

middle: HK battery medic, Meanwell SP-320-48 (I think already adjusted to the LiPo 12s charging voltage of 50.4 for 4.2V/cell), a Fechter MW CL board built by Auraslip, and a tested and wired pack of six HK Turnigy 6s 5A, wired as 12s2p for 44V 15Ah, IIRC.

Right: a pair of new-unused Avid Single Digit 5 brake arms/pads, (just like the ones I have on the front of CrazyBike2 except mine were well-used from a bikeshop junk rack). Maybe I will get around to installing studs for the rear wheel arms on CB2 and I can finally have rear brakes. :lol:

YT is STILL trying to upload. :roll: But some descriptive highlights include the section from about 28:30 on in the long section of video, where we all stopped to talk with the young man interested in our bikes; not much of it is on the video, but maybe about 7 minutes on that vid, and a few more minutes on the next very short vid. For some reason the camera stopped twice before actually running out of card space. I noticed right away the first time but the second time I didn't notice till we had already started on the way back. :(

There are some stops here and there because my chain kept coming off the large ring and/or jamming in the chainrings, and once the belt drive for the landrider-autoshifter's shifting pulley came off the pulley, after I did a few 30MPH speed runs to see what exactly the fastest I could go was (30.6 on flat, but both Evoforce and Mdd0127 both could easily outrun me even at my fastest). Apparently teh autoshifter cant' deal with 30MPH wheel speeds very well. :lol: Not surprising since it normally hits it's highest gear around 15MPH or something.

Which brings me to a thought I had while on that ride: The shifting pattern it has doesnt' seem to work very well, like it always upshifts too soon, etc, and I figured out why: It was meant for a 26" wheel, and I have it on a 24". :roll: I never even thought of that. :( I suppose I can correct that by making a new pulley for one end or the other with a different diameter, to cause it to shift at it's normal pattern. But I probably will not do so, as I am not likely to keep it on this bike much longer; it's just too many "little" issues mounting up that would each require their own little fix, and all of that adds up to time better spent elsewhere on other projects. Still, it was an interesting experiment.

My CA said I went 9.8 miles and I started at somewhere around 80% SOC, ended up at 40% (according to the Hyperion), using roughly 6.5aH. Around 32 wh/mi isn't too bad considering the way I was riding it! :twisted:

I took it on an 8 mile ride yesterday down some really washboarded gravel roads at full speed and down the highway for the other half and got similar figures. When I had the infineon on it, I got around 24-26 wh/mi but it wasn't nearly as fun to ride. Someday, the slipper clutch will wear to a point where it's consistent but for now, I have to tighten it up every few rides.

I let a friend ride it yesterday and he said it was like a two speed. It was actually the slipper clutch slipping for a second, then catching gradually. He said it was like oh shiiii.....OH SHIIIIIIIII!!!!!! and then its at top speed. I can't get enough of people's reactions when they ride it hard. :shock:

And for some possibly good news, the investor I had that's pretty much always been excited about the project (regardless of financial input) has obtained the shares of the investor that really didn't understand the project from the first place. He asked what I wanted to do and I told him, either find the real money to put it out there in a large enough scale that the price can come down when we release it......or buy ME out and have a prototype firm take over the hard stuff/finish the bike. Either way, we all win. We'll see what happens though. I can't really get my hopes up.

Also, I'm bummed that I didn't try the crazy bike. AW flat out cruises in comfort on that bike! It looks really stable and other than minor little chain issues here and there seems to be very reliable. I think that it would be a really good seller if something that style was marketed. I've had bad luck crashing recumbents so was scared at first (mainly scared to wreck his ride to work!), but next time, I want to take it for a cruise. Riding around behind him gave me a totally different perspective of what comfort on two wheels could be. He looked like he was relaxing in an easy chair, cruising along. A one legged friend of mine has been after me to design him a trike but I want to show him the crazybike and maybe rig up some outriggers like Kim has.....that is if he ever gets serious and starts getting money for parts together!

It looks like I'll be keeping the bike and shop for a while because there really isn't much interest in scary fast stuff at that price level and the shop is just flat out beyond most people's needs or understanding. As someone pointed out in the income thread, people with $$$ usually don't like the idea of breaking themselves.....or hooking up a motorcycle chain to a 10kw generator so they can weld! Soooo, I've really been thinking about proving some of my other ideas AW style i.e. in steel, using whatever I can find, and using the 219 o-ring chain instead of all the belts. I'm keeping all of the parts for the Solution(my ultimate bike) too so I can use most of them to get some suspension and some adjustable geometry under that drive-train. It might be a while before I get started because I need to save up some $$$ and find a more permanent place to park but I think it will happen eventually.

Thanks again to Amberwolf and Evoforce for sitting around in the cold listening to my crazy ideas and not getting offended or anything! I just like to talk with smart people, my opinions sure aren't set in stone as much as they may seem! :lol:

We need to get together again soon!

mdd0127 said:
Around 32 wh/mi isn't too bad considering the way I was riding it! :twisted:
Considering I use nearly that riding around in traffic, that's pretty good. Even my results from the ride with long cruising at higher speeds was only 68% of yours--mine definitely needs improvement.

Also, I'm bummed that I didn't try the crazy bike.
So was I--I think it's like ebikes--people are afraid to try it cuz it's different. :lol: But once they try it out, usually they like it, and think it's fun. So far only three people have been willing to, though, including Liveforphysics but he didnt' even really ride it before deciding it was not for him (can't blame him though--at the time it had the deathshimmy fork on there). The other two thought it was fun. :) A few people have said they want to try it but never take the opportunities when presented. :( Cant' really say I blame them given it's appearance.

AW flat out cruises in comfort on that bike!
<snip>
He looked like he was relaxing in an easy chair, cruising along.
Yes, I do!, and that's basically what it's like. LI-ghtcycle has it right--once you go 'bent, you don't want to go back (usually). Especially if it is about the comfort; I just don't know any way to get that kind of comfort without a suspended mesh seat.

It looks really stable and other than minor little chain issues here and there seems to be very reliable.
Most of the chain issues I had that ride were because of the lack of front derailer (or rather, one that doesn't go far enough rightward). Most of the previous issues with old drivetrains were due to frame flex from motor torque. :lol: And normally I don't need the chain to work so I don't care, but I like to pedal on paths cuz it causes less problems. ;)

I think that it would be a really good seller if something that style was marketed.
That's the third time I've heard that from someone...but given how hard it is to get even other ebikers to ride it...I dunno. :|

A one legged friend of mine has been after me to design him a trike but I want to show him the crazybike and maybe rig up some outriggers like Kim has.....that is if he ever gets serious and starts getting money for parts together!
It would be easy to do that, and easy to build one like this (and cheap if he doesn't care about appearances or source materials). Somewhere in this thread are some ideas on how I could add such outriggers to this bike.

Thanks again to Amberwolf and Evoforce for sitting around in the cold listening to my crazy ideas and not getting offended or anything! I just like to talk with smart people, my opinions sure aren't set in stone as much as they may seem! :lol:
One reason I originally joined up with the local sci-fi club United Federation of Phoenix and went to locally-run sci-fi conventions was because it was one of the few places I could find (pre-internet) enough smart people all in one place at one time to discuss all sorts of "what-if" ideas and concepts, mine or theirs, just cuz it is fun to do that. (one reason I like it here on ES).

We need to get together again soon!
Yes, we do. :) I'm available on just about any of my few days off (though I get three this coming week, Tue Wed Fri IIRC).

Come down and ride this crazy thing! ;)

rear tire has a hernia under tread. :cry:

cant fix till both hands work, hope it lasts a while.

i might get the wheel OFF pne handed but cant do the tire change or put it back on.

gonna ask a local friend if he can come by and change it if i supervise.

DSC05662.JPG

DSC05663.JPG

in the meantime...thump..yhump...thump...thum,p.... :(

That doesn't look to fun!

I might be able to come down and help but it will probably have to be on the weekend. Waiting to see if any money comes in the mail before I can commit though. I did a stupid and spent my extra cash....which wasn't much.... on an Avid Keystudio49 with ProtoolsSE. It took me all night to take care of all of the device and irq conflicts to get it to work but I was able to successfully record a few bars of terrible music today. It felt good to finally get it to work but I have a lot of work to do before I come up with anything marginally listenable.
I'll let you know asap if I can make it down there soon.

thx--a local friend will try to help wed afternoon. i hope it works out so i can ride to work on it thurs. otherwise im on dga instead.

weekends are out cuz i work them, unless i can give at least a couple weels' notice. i pretty much only get some weekdays --variable-- off thesedays.

i did all i could to get bike rady for ny friedn tomorrow. got wheel off and dead tier remocved, other stuff done, then new tire instsalled, and hweel mostly reinstalled urbtu i can't tighen axle nuts while holding wheel straight.

i pulled out two wheels i already had the same tire on cuz i can't find my actual spare. one was the last wheel on cb2 ebefore this one, th e wheel thant had 4 spokes vbvreak. i replaced the 4 and straed truing it and anothe spok on the other side broke. replaced thartt and trued it mostly ut it must be bent rim as it won't fdully true. am afraid it will beark more spokes so don't want to use it.

other wheel was the sachs 3speed igh wheel i built for thr triek kit but i know it has a flatted rim. livable, but only as last resort. sad cuz i wnated to test the ighn on the bike. can't deal with it eright now though. still, i aired it up abd got to avbut 30psi when the tube popped the valve stem
DSC05700.JPG

crappy tube. duro barnd:
DSC05701.JPG

is also schizo
DSC05702.JPG

the herniated tiere
View attachment 5

inside, threads ruptured / torn. maybe cut by glass or something; tire is also torn along the tread lines outside
View attachment 4

but i think it dissolved cuz this is the slime protector strip
DSC05706.JPG
it's falling apart and was actually stuck hard to the inside of the tier and to ther tube.

finlaly thougth i was done when i gave up on the igh wheeal and just pulled it's salmost unused tire.
DSC05708.JPG
then the tube that had been fine inthe dead tire suddenly blew out in two places
DSC05709.JPG

DSC05711.JPG

dug out a spare tube and slimed it, got it finally on wheel with tire and paetly back on bike. but strained my hand a bunhc of times. i should've just waited for my friend. :(

oh i also took landrider shifter off and put normal cluster/derailer on, but no calble or shifter yet. will just leace it in high gear.

frind came by and did rest of wheel. is now rideable for work tomorrow.
View attachment 6

nana posing w/ bike
DSC05719.JPG

also temp-fixed the cracking batt box before it falls off w hose clamp aropund wole box and supprt that's bolted to frame.
DSC05720.JPG

pic of brake move done a couple days ago.
DSC05721.JPG

mech brake silver regen black. didnt use regen to oprate cable cuz it;s cheap flexy plastic that i dont trust w stress.
DSC05722.JPG

nana sez bike is BBBOOOORRRIING, letz go play!
View attachment 1

hachi agrees and is sulking
DSC05724.JPG

other 2 were already out there playuing in yhe nice weather.

1321736059-picsay.jpgI installed a Staton Inc crank drive system on my Land Rider bike. This allowed me to keep the auto shift feature; it works great. I manually shift the front three gears and the rear seven shift automatically. You can look up LR Jerry or Staton Inc online to see more pictures of my bike.

I use my three front chain rings like this: 28 hill climber (7+mph), 34 level ground (30 mph) and 42 downhill (45 mph). Using the throttle and peddle through is how I change the rear gears.

Attachments

• 1321736420-picsay.jpg
    1321736420-picsay.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 3,974
Nice video of our ride amberwolf! I really enjoyed the outing and hanging out with you and mdd. Hope to do it again when we can.

on my way home today someone started turning left into the same street i was already turning right into, but they didn't leave enough room for me. so i swerved hard right and managed not to get hit but my rightside cargo podd hit the curb at 17mph and instangtly took half that speed away
DSC05729.JPG

the rails are badly bent and i cant straighten them with my messed up hand.
DSC05730.JPG

pod is pretty bent up too

also my hand thats been messed up for a couple of weeks seems to be internally infected somehow so i can't just tough out the broken bone, i have go to the er and see if they will give antibiotics. am probably going to miss work tomorrow, which i can't afford (can't afford the er either, but no choice left). :(

Thats not good all the way around with things. Hope you heal fast and get your bike fixed when you can.

er story:

since i was afraid someone would mess with my bike while i would be sitting in er for hours, as they have no facility for locking them up, i waited till a frind could take me in.

we got ther about 1030pm and i got in about 11pm. registration and nurses were all aghast at my hand, nearly bringing me to a panic, but i managed to calm down once i was alone in the treatment room for a while.

they drew some blood and took 3 xrays, over the course of the next 2 hours. by this time the swelling got to the point i couldn't touch my pinky to my thumb because of the stretching of the back of my hand, and was encroaching on the back of my wrist.

around 230am or so, doctor finally came back and said that no bones are broken or fractued and that what i had thought was a broken bone before is most likely just a knot in my tendon, aeround a tiny piece of metal. he said there is also a knot on the actual bone at the joint, and he said it is possible it did fracture beforee (a year-ish ago) and that when it healed it created that knot, but he cn't tell for sure.

he also said the bloodwork dosn't show any sign of infection, but he put me on bactrim anyway, just in case, for 10 days. they gave me one bactrim right thren, and a presctription to get the rest.

he said to go get it checked out by a hand specialist to be sure of everything else, which i probably won't be able to do unless the er can get me on ahcccs (i don't qualify when i try it myself). he also said to come back if the swelling or pain got worse.

i pointed out that the swelling had progressed evne past my wrist over the hours i was there, and he didn't seem concerned at all, so i guess that's not what he meant.

but it comes down to complete inconclusivity as to whats wrong. :(

once i got home after 3am closer to 4? then i let the dogs out and ate a little and collapsed in bed. whatever is in that bactrim plus the stress of the ordeal put me to sleep till 130pm or so, more than 12 hours later. glad i'd already called into work the night before to say i probsably wouldn't be there today, or i would have been late.

i would perobably have slrept longer but dogs insisted it was food time and were all on the bed on top of me staring at me all excited. :lol:

i called around and cheapest place was walmart, which i don't want to shop at but they were less than a tenth the cost of anywhere else, at $4. rode down there and turned in scrip and wiated over an hour and finally got the rest of the bactrim and took one, plus some ibuprofen the doctor recommended for reduction of the swelling.

got home bout hour and a half ago and fixed dinner, and here iam now with the update, such as it is..

i will try to find my old xray viewer light / drafting box so i can post a pic of the xrays.

but i am now even more worried about what may be wrong than before, when i was pretty certain about a broken bone and an infection. many of the other possibilities i can think of are much worse, and my mind keeps churning to think of more.

I had some random significant swelling that they initially thought was an infection of some kind and they gave me a bunch of antibiotics which seemed to help but then didn't. Turned out to be an adult onset nut allergy to certain nuts. Starts with itching then swelling and spreads out. Happened in various places like wrist, hands, lips, etc. Benadryl takes care of it. Took me awhile to figure out what the allergy was to, but the allergist told me it was either seafood or nuts right off, we just had to figure out which exact foods it was.

So I avoid certain nuts, but every now and then something triggers it. So many foods are processed in the same facility that nuts are processed in occasionally I'll react to something that has been fine, like Raisin Bran, and then it will be fine again after that. I never was allergic to anything before, it just started one day. They say it is not uncommon.

The swelling seems to start at an aggravated or previously injured site. So it sounds a little like what you are seeing. I just carry some Benadryl and when the telltale itching shows up it knocks it down pretty fast. The first time it took a few days of treatment to get it down, but if I catch it early it goes away fast.

The doctors had trouble recognizing it in the first place, they weren't looking for an allergic reaction and neither were we. So it took several trips to the ER to get it figured out. Pretty scary until it was solved.

Best of luck to you.

interesting...if i had any itcvhing i'd just go get some benadryl and see what happens. tempted to try it anyway.

while looking for zeners for farfle i founf my viewer
file-1.jpg

so here are the xrays, and then some pics ofd my hand as it is now, and then some pics of a few days prior when it was just hurting but not swollen vs the pics after of my right hand which is fine.
DSC05738.JPG

DSC05739.JPG

DSC05743.JPG

View attachment 11

some closeups of the 'metal fragmrnet' he said is in there
DSC05741.JPG

DSC05745.JPG

current
DSC05734.JPG

DSC05735.JPG

DSC05736.JPG

View attachment 5

almost a week ago
DSC05647.JPG

DSC05649.JPG

my other hand for compare
DSC05650.JPG

View attachment 1

I had a very similar swelling in my hand once and it was due to a tiny metal fragment moving around in there. Even though it was sore I kept using it and the more I used it, the more it swelled up. I ended up cutting my hand open and digging it out. It must have been stainless because it was in there for a while and didn't show any sign of corrosion. I've had bits of aluminum and steel stuck deep in my hands before and they've dissolved after time, leaving a black dead spot....that eventually needed to be dug out.

I can also highly recommend colloidal silver and arnica as alternative treatments for infection and swelling. Also you probably know this but hot/cold treatments like you'd do for a snakebite and elevation can also be very helpful. I know not everyone can go cutting themselves open and digging stuff out but that chunk of metal needs to get out somehow. Every time you move your hand, it cuts the tissue in there.

Owwwww!

Please take it as easy as you can and get better soon!

Back