Drewjet's road-racer Ebike build thread-w/ Video

Very cool build. *subscribed*

Maybe one of these days, I'll put some real power to my bike, and we can get together for some fun. Would love to come down to Tampa. :mrgreen:

Any pics of the bike as it sits now?

I am in Orlando, not Tampa, so that makes it even closer.

The only thing I have done was up the volts to 72. The power was insane. That pretty well finished off the Nuvinci. Hopefully I will have Steveil_Kenevil's wheels here this week. I ordered a set of the Michelin Gazelles for tires for them, Hopefully will be here this week as well. The biggest [problem is that to gt to 72 volts I had to use my Alltrax controller and it is HUGE. So I may not be able to fit into my oversized rear triangle.

I made my adapter plate to go from the ISO brake mount on the wheel to a 6 hole sprocket. Now I question if I need some kind of freewheel in there. I think I do. It can't go on the driven sprocket so needs to be on the motor. I am running 219 chain, and I really don't thin that even if I adapted a really strong bicycle (white industries downhill with double row of pawls) would even be strong enough. However there are go-kart centrifical clutches that are a ready fit to the motor and have 219 chain.

Any Thoughts?

drewjet said:
I made my adapter plate to go from the ISO brake mount on the wheel to a 6 hole sprocket. Now I question if I need some kind of freewheel in there. I think I do. It can't go on the driven sprocket so needs to be on the motor. I am running 219 chain, and I really don't thin that even if I adapted a really strong bicycle (white industries downhill with double row of pawls) would even be strong enough. However there are go-kart centrifical clutches that are a ready fit to the motor and have 219 chain.

Any Thoughts?

Here is the dilemma for me, some form of freewheel/clutch is going to in theory allow for more efficiency, however, at the cost of reliability, and since you are putting out so much power, I would vote for eliminating the freewheel and just accept the extra drag, because IMO since this is more or less a high powered racing application, what little efficiency you may save with the freewheeling effect will be canceled by the regular replacement of this part.

Also, there is the question of how much more drag there will be with a clutch that will be reliable, since we are using electric motors and not ICE, there isn't the concern of engine compression as with a 4-stroke motor that would be harder on internal engine components (connecting rods etc.), so forcing the motor to turn with the wheel while coasting really isn't an issue.

And another thought is how much more efficient is the typical bicycle freewheel to this clutch that they use on the go-karts? I would imagine that if there were many, then people wouldn't be adapting the use of a White Industries Eno freewheel for this purpose, and that is more or less being used for allowing a pedal chain to freewheel, you're talking about a freewheel between the motor and left side drive right?

I will have a standard bicycle freewheel on the rear axle for the peddles. I am talking about a freewheel between the motor and the rear drive sprocket.

I have no worries about efficiency.

My concern is what would happen (very unlikely) if the motor would experience a lock up failure at 50 MPH. It would lock the back wheel and I would be eating asphalt.

I originally thought I could get away without a freewheel on my motor drive on the Death Race bike I built. I found out very quickly how annoying this is because if you pedal you must also feed it throttle or the chain will bunch up in front of the motor sprocket if you have a tensioner. If you go without a tensioner, I think it is possible to forgo the freewheel, you will just be turning the motor as you pedal. The problem I see with the clutch is that you will need to add custom springs so that it engages at 500-1000 rpm. Hmmmm, it might be possible to take the springs completely out and still have a freewheel at low speeds?

I got my wheels from Steve, mounted the Gazzell's and got them on the bike. Swapped out the finger throttle for a Magura and put 75 volts to it. I hit a peak of 400 amps on the CA, but it couldn't of been for more than a few milliseconds. But it is fast, I am now a club member in the 50 MPH club. I hit 55.6 MPH. This was done on 2 ea 6 cell 25-50C 5.0 AH Nanotechs in Series and a pair of Turnigy 6s 20c 5AH, so voltage sag was a bit bad.

I ordered up 13 (12 needed 1 spare) more 6s Nanos to build a pack that will be 18S4P. For 75 volts and 18AH. I had to get the 4500 mah as they were out of stock of the 5000's

Here are a few pics
Racebike.jpg
Racebike1.jpg

The power is pretty impressive. It threw me off the back of the seat while I still had the finger throttle hooked up. It may have lifted the wheel slightly, but really the problem is that my but slid off the back of the seat. I may end up having to make a custom seat with a flare at the rear just to hold me on.

God those wheels are beautiful. That's the look I want for my Spoiler, except the rear is a 20 inch, not 24. I'd be too scared to go 55 on a hardtali, but WAY TO GO DREW!
bRIAN l.

Actually the rear is 17", which in bicycle terms is a 22". However these are moped tires, and are around 23" diamater. The front is the same.

This build is turning out real nice. Congratulations Drew, and welcome to the 50 MPH club!

If I may, I would suggest bolting at least one of those hard plastic pegs (like the ones the freestyle kids use for grinding) to the left rear axle. If the bike ever goes down on that side, it will function as a frame slider and protect the motor's brush carrier from getting ground up and bashed to bits.

Hang on tight and speed safely :twisted:

Looks great Drew! :D

What did you decide as far as motor side freewheel is concerned?

I haven't decided on the freewheel yet.

Here is a video made with some saggy lipo I had around the house. I have enough Nano coming to make a 18S 4P of 4500 30-50C, for 75 volts and 18AH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGG5vbUux-Q&feature=youtu.be

[youtube]TGG5vbUux-Q[/youtube]

Whoa! That is some CRAZY acceleration! :shock:

What was the resting voltage when you were doing the second pass? Looks like once you tapped out around 60 MPH that it petered out on you on the second run, and could only hit about 30 once the batteries were sagging? :wink:

LI-ghtcycle said:
Whoa! That is some CRAZY acceleration! :shock:

What was the resting voltage when you were doing the second pass? Looks like once you tapped out around 60 MPH that it petered out on you on the second run, and could only hit about 30 once the batteries were sagging? :wink:

Well to tell the truth. I haven't fully set up everything because of not having my batteries, so I am using some series wire harnesses I made up for testing and they are not very big. The 400 amp surge was enough to make the solder melt and I had to push the bike home. If I drop down to 48 volts it still has impressive acceleration, and the top speed is 40 MPH.

I should be over 60 MPH once I have my nano techs, if not I will regear for a higher speed.

Man this thing puts an EV grin on your face.

Sure gave me a thrill just watching the vid. Can't wait to get my 88v 2812 running. I know it will not have that much tourqe, but it should be fun. Thanks for the vid fix!
Brian L.

Small update. I got my batteries. and broke it down to put some paint on it. Nothing fancy just didn't want the bare steel rusting.

My next project is to get some scooter brakes on it.

Here are a few pics

2012-02-16 16.41.38.jpg

View attachment 3

small IMG_6991.jpg

small IMG_6996.jpg

small IMG_6998.jpg

I got a chance to ride this bike a couple of weeks ago. Holy shit!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: This bike is FAST! I had just got done racing my motorcycle at Daytona, doing 150 mph around the banks, the day before. And it took me about 5 passes, a rest break, and then a LOT of nerve to finally go full throttle on this thing. I had the sensation at 3/4 throttle that if I wacked it WOT it would do some bad things to me. :twisted:

http://vimeo.com/39442003

New Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPr4NgW7VOI&feature=youtu.be

[youtube]WPr4NgW7VOI[/youtube]

Hey , I see you're using racerender 2 software, but what datalogger are you using to get the battery/speed data etc??

Kudos

lostrack said:
Dude, that is sick!!!

How far can you go like that? Does your motor get hot?

I hope you're wearing protection....
Why yes I do wear protection.

I can get about 12 to 15 miles running hard, and about 22 or so going easy.

Back