Ebike Project 72V HS3540 UK "build thread" +Videos!

I got my extension wires so I thought I'll put on some new tire for the new HS3540!
It's Specialized Crossroads Armadillo,which are known to have special type of anti-puncture kevlar and has been tested as one of the strongest tire!
[youtube]sKCSGbWbPyE[/youtube]
I got two of these plus tubes for £44!
IMG-20120121-00488.jpg
The treads on the tire
IMG-20120121-00492.jpg

I've programmed lyen controller to the following settings. i'll take it for spin in next few days and adjust it and I want to find out how fast can 30%, 40%, 50% can do.
also if anyone spots anything odd about my settings please let me know before I blow up something :twisted:
keywinLab.JPG

That's a nice setup you got there. I like the break light too. How is the performance compared with your other builds? What voltage and amperage are you running?

electr0n said:
That's a nice setup you got there. I like the break light too. How is the performance compared with your other builds? What voltage and amperage are you running?
So far I've only done less then 10miles so I can't say how its going but compared to my last build its much smoother and reliable.
I'm running 20s 83v hot 10ah but I havnt sorted CA settings so I'll need to do that soon
Ps here is a picture of my first ever KFFIMG-20120128-00497.jpg

I've fixed my fried connector and took it for a ride. Top speed I've got today is 44.5mph(72km/h) which is my high speed record on flat!
I'll measure the weight of my bike tmr and see his much it weighs.
Also I've smelt something burning but I didn't find any...does anyone know what it could be?
More pictures of my bike coming up soon!IMG-20120128-00498.jpg

rui_fujino said:
Also I've smelt something burning but I didn't find any...does anyone know what it could be?
My HS3540 smelled burnt for the first couple of weeks of 18S Lipo use, with the CA set for 30A. Usual trip data shows an average speed of 35-50 kmh, the max speed is always 72 kmh. 782 total km on this motor so far.

One question I have is, why does the motor smell burnt? Is it the amount of power you are pushing though the motor? Good job with the kit! I'm jealous of your progress =D

Trackman417 said:
One question I have is, why does the motor smell burnt? Is it the amount of power you are pushing though the motor? Good job with the kit! I'm jealous of your progress =D

I think its because new motor has coating on coil which makes burnt smell when it gets hot. Even if outer cover doesn't get hot or warm coil still can get hot for a half minute when you put high current through.

Anyway, so today I went for another 3miles commute and I've realised I couldn't go any faster due to low voltage. CA shows 71v at half throttle...so I've decided to charge them for the first time! With my BMSBattery charger :wink:

Here are some pics of charging process :D
View attachment 1
IMG-20120131-00501.jpg

Alright so you don't think it's just the motor about to melt down.... WELL THAT'S AWESOME! Like the ideas you cone with. Hehe I might steal a few :twisted:

Trackman417 said:
Alright so you don't think it's just the motor about to melt down.... WELL THAT'S AWESOME! Like the ideas you cone with. Hehe I might steal a few :twisted:

well, i didnt run high amp on the motor "yet" so it shouldnt melt down :p

I also took a picture of battery setup so that you can see whats in the bag :wink:
I think its pretty neat 8)
IMG-20120131-00502.jpg

at the moment i'm trying to get the Rshunt value correct for the CA but I dont have watt meter... :oops:
does anyone here know the Rshunt for the 12 fet lyen controller?? Lyen has told me its 2...but I'm sensing its not correct.
if anyone can help it'll be great! :wink:

I went out for a ride today and snow is so thick that I couldn't cycle at all...on top of that my controller got splashed by the front wheel despite the fact I got mud guard...I lost the power due to wet throttle so I had to cycle back home and dry the connectors.
But now I know that I need to waterproof the connectors :DIMG-20120205-00509.jpg

hi, rshunt is set to 2.300mohm on 12fet lyen controller. yours should be around that figure hope this helps

hotrod said:
hi, rshunt is set to 2.300mohm on 12fet lyen controller. yours should be around that figure hope this helps

thanks alot! that sound about right. I'll change it tomorrow and see if it make sense :D

OMFG!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: My BMSBattery charger has broken AGAIN!!!!! (2nd time)
I only charged my battery once to fulll...and now I was going to charge and before I even start charging it makes buzzing noise and nothing else... :cry:
I have sent an email to BMSBattery..they better reply ASAP!

Sorry to hear about your BMS battery charger issue.
Its always the chance you take it buying from China at a hideously cheap price.

I personally have done the same from BMS but the 240w bulk charger. Which lets face it. Isn't that quick in the realm of bulk charging.
I hope mine works. But i've only paid £40 all in with the delivery. Which cost the same amount as the actual charger.

I hope you get yours sorted or fixed though. Nothing worse than having to slowly charge your packs...

Sorry to hear about your troubles :( you should get American made enginuity:D http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_20&products_id=170. I'm getting this setup and now all you have to do is get a charging harness from icecube and you are set! Btw I just got that list yesterday and they have some good reviews. I just ordered mine yestarday and in an hour or two they sent me a tracking number. Supposed to be hear today or tomorrow :D GOOD STUFF! Anybody have anything good to say about epbuddy?

EPBuddy is pretty awesome. He's local to me so I have even picked up packages before.. I ordered some wire last week and had it to my door
the next day.. I do live withing 10miles though so I am sort of cheating . My 306b had a weird issue where the fan failed to turn on so I was concerned
how warm it was getting. I took it over to his house he pulled out a new 306b and a battery to verify the fan worked.

So yea EPBUDDY is good stuff.

And the best part, they are American! Are they based in Ohio? That's what it says on their website. So I'm guessing my package should be hear today or tomorrow:D

Thanks guys for the alternatives but again, those chargers are slow balance chargers and k won't be able to bulk charge unlike mean well or bmsbattery...
I've talked to Judy Liu from bmsbattery and he said I'll need to take a picture of the inside and if its broken for non-visible reasons then he can send me a new one for free!
Mean while I might buy icharger so slowly charge...
Any suggestions of charger I can use that are cheap off eBay?

Ehhh slow? Lol 20 amps isn't fast enough? Haha geez you must be the fastest moving man in the world :shock:. Good luck with your charger:D

You can get lipo chargers from the UK.
A resonable priced 10amp (200w) charger from www.giantcod.com
will cost you about £40. But least that will charge your packs in a few hours. You will need a power supply though to run it.

Scottyf said:
You can get lipo chargers from the UK.
A resonable priced 10amp (200w) charger from http://www.giantcod.com
will cost you about £40. But least that will charge your packs in a few hours. You will need a power supply though to run it.

Scottyf, thanks for the info but the web you tagged isn't working... :? also I am looking for plug and charge rather than those that requires power supply... :(

well. while im waiting for the bulk charger to fix its self...I've decided to get slow balance charger.
does anyone familiar with Dynam Supermate DC6 Double Power?
Double_power_Balance_charger_Supermate_DC6.jpg

I only got this cos it was cheap on ebay and i can charge 2x5s2p at the time!

Hi, Here is update! Since I have uploaded few things on the other threads I'll put them here.
they are my current handlebar situation! I think they are pretty neat :wink:
IMG-20120210-00542.jpg
FAS XC282 DH Handlebar:
CA-DP with Speedometer
Bicygnals Adaptor
3 way switch
Thumb throttle
Shimano EZ fire shifters
Custom LED lights
Cheap rear view mirror(to be upgraded)
IMG-20120210-00543.jpg
Took a long time to figure out the perfect ways to put 3way switch, throttle and shifter/brake all together while keeping them look neat! :wink:

Here is my whole bike in snow!
IMG-20120210-00545.jpg

Also update on the Charger.
I got the slow charger from ebay and It arrived today!
IMG-20120210-00539.jpg
I have charged half of all the packs but its going to take more time to charge the other half...can not wait to get my bulk charger back!

Back