Race Role Call - 102 Miles Enduro in California (02-11-2012)

I'm thinking of running the 100mile course with the proper amount of battery to do it right. Like 4-5kw-hr, and not being in the contest, just running exhibition.

Alan B said:
You can offer towing service. :)

The event volunteers actually offered to carry my ebike back on their SUV last time after I ran out of juice at around 73miles. But I had insisted to pedal my way back. So there will definitely be people available to help. :)

Alan B said:
You can offer towing service. :)

If they don't have specific rules against it, I would happily enter with a legal-beagle pack size, and tow you for the first 40-50miles (or whenever I run out), and then you ride the rest under your own power Alan. Like an energy-team-relay type setup.

If they have no rules against it, let's do it! Little piece of 300lbs test kite string is all it will take, I will ride gentle, and my bike will have NO PROBLEM pulling you until it runs out of battery. I think it would be lots of fun! For extra traffic/technical areas you just disconnect the string on some sort of instant disconnect setup, we ride under our own power until we get back into an area safe to tow.

What do you think?

I looked into going, as I had an acquaintance that was interested in seeing this kind of thing offer to drive us out there. But my work has a scheduled all store meeting that weekend, which I cannot miss :( so I am definitely not going to be there.

I figured I would just bring all the battery I can fit in there and run the 100-mile course, like LFP as exhibition rather than entering the actual race. :) Maybe next year.

Oh man, a stomach virus really knocked me down but it's a go now. Weird, the little BaFang turns out to be sensorless and don't know that I have such a controller. But with other motors should be able to work something out. After pulling weeds in the yard today I finished the batt harnesses. There's a tight fit for the smaller upper pack around the seat stem clamp but just needs a peice of electrical tape to protect for this 1 event. There's room to strap a 10.5Ahr pack under the BB.
EnduroBike.png
I'll just ride to check it out this year; shooting for 16-7mph average 'bout 6.5 hr trip. Plan to head over late Fri pm day before; coming from the south and drive the hardtop before sunset. Got some extra homemade jerky. Kinda a new skill for me, sucking gatorade, an' chomping energy bars an' jerky, holding a pace, enjoying scenery, checking performance and setups with other cool folk. Mostly just being where it's a happening.

Thanks for solving my controller issue Lyen!

CntrlBox2.jpgGot the bike together today thanks to a speedy controller shipped from Ed Lyen in 2 days flat. Bought this ebike as I enjoyed its' character and roomy frame. First stripped out 3lbs. of wiring, next crafted several aluminum batt boxes, and today fitted a MarkII 48V 20A sensorless controller into the setup.

Rode a couple of miles, pretty good, though realistically it's more of a low racer than a 100mi endurance bike. We'll see. There's room for a 10.5Ahr pack under the BB to go with the 30Ahr of lipo in the black aluminum boxes. Notice the tight little slot to fit the Lyen controller 8)

Some pedals to hold me, a 25mi ride Sunday and a 60mi ride Tues. Ahhh, I'll see ya' there :wink:

(bringing 2 lipo bricks w/ some velcro and extra jerky)

It's official... I cannot go this year. So many projects/HW due the week after the race. Can't afford the time crunch. Good luck on everything guys. I will make the best effort to go next year.

Wow I can't believe I completely missed this thread until now! :shock: :shock: :shock:
I normally commute 70 miles daily on my ebike so this event is right up my alley. And it's all taking place here in California too.

But unfortunately, I've split my current commuter battery pack and mounted half the batts on another ebike I've been building recently. And I don't have time to order more batts for this event. I'm sooo bummed :( :( :( ... sounds like it would have been fun.

I hope this event happens again next year. I'd definitely down to do that then.

OMG, there is already 91 people signed up as of today. :shock:

I've also noticed Jim Langley will be there too. Google Jim Langley if you do not know who he is. He had wrote a book on bicycle maintenance.

Ilia from EbikesSF.com will also be going. :D

Sacman said:
Wow I can't believe I completely missed this thread until now! :shock: :shock: :shock:
I normally commute 70 miles daily on my ebike so this event is right up my alley. And it's all taking place here in California too.

But unfortunately, I've split my current commuter battery pack and mounted half the batts on another ebike I've been building recently. And I don't have time to order more batts for this event. I'm sooo bummed :( :( :( ... sounds like it would have been fun.

I hope this event happens again next year. I'd definitely down to do that then.

Sacman, you can probably ride the half distance race or simply ride without any electric assist just like any other road racers. You may want to ask SoSauty to lend you a few lipo battery packs that he is offering. :)

To avoid missing events in the future:

Subscribe to the West Coast US events topic here:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=35318

Anytime anyone notices an event of interest to West Coast folks - post something about it to the West Coast list.

I've missed events, so I set this up to make it easier for everyone to hear about them. If you are subscribed to the topic you will get an email to check it.

Ride Preparations

I'm working on getting my bikeE ready. I have a battery mount almost completed. The last few batteries are on the way. I will pick up the motor early in the week. There are still about 20 things to do on the list. Hope I can get it all done.

Pretty impressive local for a bike ride. The road except for a few spackled places is in very good shape, no potholes. Saw maybe a dozen cars during today's (2/8) 4hr trek, many of those due to parents picking up their kids at a tiny 3-4 room school house. A few spots tucked in close to the small mountains were wet but the dry Thurs and Friday should clear that up. Not wide enough to ride to right of white line and out of traffic, but I don't think there will be any 2 way travel. Most inclines are moderate, I could sustain a lo-gear pedal. The few really steep sections are generally 100 yards or so.

Now for the views and wildlife. I've done a lot of backpacking and this road scores a top ten. Meadow larks, top feathered quail, and a fresh batch of baby ground squirrel not much bigger than chippys abound. Just before the school house a herd of 10 deer stared from 100' off the roadway. Next I came across some MagPies scavenging a road kill. When they flew up to the fence, not only were they a striking black/white, but also a brillant blue patch under their wings, they were BlueJay/MagPie crosses, those frisky fellas :!: Higher up I startled the biggest BobCat ever. That dusty boy must've been 4X's the size of my Ragdoll kitty, and he's not small.

The Enduro road traverses the fringe of several zones. Lower elevation is grass, cedar, and shrub oak. Higher up the lacey Jefferson Pine kicks in. Noticed only 1 for sale sign on the southern half of the route. Where I parked at the Hi-way25 and Hi-way198 conjunction, a sign warned, '51 miles to the next service.'

I'll have to check out my Watt useage/mileage tomorrow, the CA seems to offer some contridictary data. Used 32Ahr over 68mi, pretty close to 2/3rds the route and averaged 16.5mph and 19W/hr; Perfect :p

If you don't make it this Sat 2/11, you will miss out on the tri-colored Jays and a rather neat bike event.

Have a blast, but not a lipo blast. :D Wish I was there.

Just for info, I ordered some batts from HF USA via priority mail and they arrived wednesday. So I have batteries but the torque arms are proving to be a lot more work to get done, and there are a number of other things not complete either. I may get it complete enough for a test ride by tomorrow but not for a 100 miler!

Have a great ride!!

I've been refreshing all day. Lyen, Ilia, and friends... What's the word? I hope you're all healthy and just resting up before the big reveal tomorrow. Pics please.

Sent using Endless-Sphere Mobile app

Back